ITT: Books that have yet/can't be adapted whether it be atmosphere or content or whatever

ITT: Books that have yet/can't be adapted whether it be atmosphere or content or whatever
also; Dark Tower, Old Man and The Sea, Dune and most of Lovecraft's bibliography.

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0086336/?ref_=nv_sr_6
imdb.com/title/tt0086336/trivia
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lovecraft stories get off on letting the reader imagine the horrors in the books. Most of the monsters/spookier things are described as "indescribable " and so scary that glimpsing upon it would drive people insane.

Its mostly impossible to make a lovecraft movie because it was the readers imagination that filled in the blanks.

Oh look, another Lovecraft expert! Who would have thunk an autist writer would appeal to autist readers? Imagine if he had made cute anime instead

Ubik. Matrix is close enough though

>points out one of lovecrafts most common writing gimmick
>"huurrrrrr, looks like we got an expert over here! Fucking autists!"

Whats the source of your dislike for Lovecraft? Or are you just naturally a bitter and sad person?

You actually could do a lovecraft-esque movie, you'd just have to keep the monster offscreen, and show only glimpses of it as the story progresses.

>appeal to autist readers
Autists aren't good at imagination

Chill out autist

kek

The best part is most Lovecraft experts don't have the patience to get through four pages of his prose.

Book of the New Sun

Although as far as retardedly impossible dream projects go I wouldn't mind David Lynch having a crack at it with a soundtrack from Swans.

>OP asks for books that are hard to adapt
>autist writes about a Lovecraft trope because he read a wikipedia article on Cthulhu and has nothing else to contribute because he is otherwise illiterate

In film, having the viewer's imagination fill in the gaps is actually very effective. It works in Alien where you barely see the monster and in Halloween where Michael Myers is even credited as "The Shape" because of his screen time mostly spent in the shadows and being a boogie man. There are even some great Lovecraft adaptations like Re-Animator, In the Mouth of Madness, From Beyond, and his influence is felt in countless other pieces.

"Barely seeing the monster" is like a hundredth of what makes Lovecraft's horror.

Citing Halloween as an example of how a Lovecraft horror could be effective might just be the most retarded thing I've read today.

And I actually really like Lovecraft, I'm just butthurt that he's been adopted by tubby memesters that most likely haven't read anything other than a couple A Song of Ice and Fire books and whatever they couldn't use sparksnotes on in high school

What are the other 99 parts of his themes? Does going insane and being racist fill out the rest? And you should be responding to the first post, the autist who first mentioned "imagination gaps".

>being racist

Confirmed for wikipedia level knowledge of Lovecraft

imdb.com/title/tt0086336/?ref_=nv_sr_6

not sure how faithful the adaptation was but the movie on its own was not bad

Ben Wheatley could probably do it if you don't mind the franchise bombing

Would never get made because a bunch of [comment removed due to violation of UN Internet Speech charter]

What about Lovecraft's biography? Having a black cat named Nigger Man who starred in a short story might work and sell plushies!!!

Did they ever do Midnight's Children? because that I always thought would make a great movie or high budget miniseries.

Get ready for feels
>imdb.com/title/tt0086336/trivia

OP image has had adaptations already. One with Jonathan Pryce was my favorite childhood horror movie.

Also Dune, come the fuck on.

yeah, but it'll never capture the feel of the book properly.

Also, I hate Jodorwosky and Lynch's versions.

I want to see Jodo's Dune just for Orson Welles and Dali.

>Imagine if he had made cute anime instead

>Lovecraft
Oh look another quintessential piece for the "I'm a marginal teenager" package. Fits right in with Ayn Rand.

You can't possibly think that or 90% of the shit that Jodorowsky talked would have ever even come close to happening.

It's funny, on the one hand, you instantly lose part of what makes it so great just by putting it in a visual medium. On the other hand, the world and story are so good in their own right I want to see it on screen anyway.

Pretty much any high fantasy. Lotr was a miracle.

that's why I read the French translations, English is barely legible as a language anyway

I've seen someone post this before and I agree completely, shame that it will probably never happen.

is BotNS good? I heard from Neil Fallon that it's one of the best fantasy books and know the general gist?

Yes it's good. it's one of my favorite series ever. If you're expecting standard fantasy stuff you probably will be turned off. It's a pretty dense book and you're gonna be rewarded with exactly as much work as you put into it. Wolfe's prose is some of the best fantasy / sci-fi has ever had.

Disney is remaking this in two years or so.

Honestly, I can see why this hasn't been adapted.

At it's core, it actually somewhat generic as far as stories go, just like most of Stephenson's writings: Anathem and Diamond Age would make more sense than Cryptonomicon just because of the outlandish settings, but the basic stories of each are pretty simple.

What makes the novels interesting is the writing, the asides, the dialogue, the puzzles, and the math. The basic stories being told are pretty simple: trying to master spaceflight, breaking the Enigma code, generic save-the-day-from-microrobots, etc.

>Old Man and The Sea
who was Spencer Tracy?

If Huston and Peck can't do it no one can

This is the way to do it.
Or just get someone who can design the most grotesque looking creatures imaginable.