Why did they kill off Charles Dance's character so early? He was putting the movie on his shoulders...

Why did they kill off Charles Dance's character so early? He was putting the movie on his shoulders, and it went to shit when he died.

the xeno doesn't give a shit m8

I was convinced Cred Forums was going to be wrong, that this movie was actually going to be as good as the previous 2. Then he died and it went to shit. Then the warden died and it got even worse.

- the element of surprise and danger
- the thematic idea that the xenomorph will always destroy ripley's life
- taking ripley back to square one where she has no allies at the prison and has to deal with a bunch of rapists and murderers

>Why did they kill off Charles Dance's character so early?
While there's no inherent reason he shouldn't die, it's mostly just bad screenwriting.

You aren't mature enough for this kino.
You think the good ol' boys with their pulse rifles and smart guns are gonna' come save your beloved characters every time? fuck your shit, nigger.
The only survivors in this series are the ones who are intelligent and resourceful enough to outsmart the alien, and only just for a little respite, until it comes back again.
Its a cold and unforgiving universe.
>inb4 muh assembly cut

He was probably the smartest character in the movie, he just didn't get a chance to outsmart him cause his death was the first confirmed alien encounter.

3 and 4 are so fucking bad I actually stopped watching them ten minutes in.

They practically don't exist and I'm pretty sure they'll get retconned for the new Ripley movie.

>I stopped watching 3 before the alien even showed up
>I started watching 4 having only watched 10 minutes of 3

So you turned off Alien 3 before Ripley's first line of dialogue?

I skipped through the movie and saw a face hugger on a dog and dead Hicks so I said fuck that and turned it off.

Non canon garbage.

no dogs in 3, m8. rip jonesie the cat though, little bastard

What? The ayy lmao bursts from the dog in 3.

>no dogs in 3

Hahaha, fucking pleb.

You're the pleb if you enjoyed 3 or 4.

They are when the franchise went to hot shit.

They're fanfic tier.

alien comes out of an ox, not a dog, what are you 2 smoking

Why did they kill off Bryan Cranston's character so early? He was putting the movie on his shoulders, and it went to shit when he died.

Nice try assembly cut faggot.

>assembly cut

way to miss out on two of the best chestburst scenes of the franchise, literally the only reason A3 was worth watching.

the only thing bryan cranston ever put on his shoulders was malcolm in the middle

well my bad.

still though,

>The Assembly Cut of Alien3 is notable in that it has received a significantly more positive reception than the theatrical film upon which it is based.[5] Owing to the significant differences between the two versions of the movie, the Assembly Cut has undergone something of a re-evaluation amongst critics, and while still generally regarded as inferior to the two Alien movies that precede it, it is generally viewed more positively than the theatrical release.

I'm ok with this.

Probably a combination of Bryan Cranston wanting more money and studios trying to force Jai Courtney as a leading man like they tried to do with Sam Worthington to equally shitty results.

This. I was actually okay with the movie up until his death.

4 was a fanfic, 3 was a good end to the series.

Jai Courtney was not in this movie

why did they kill off cute newt so early?

They were trying to make a flick which is basically acceptable to mainstream society, and to some extent they succeeded. You can't have BOTH a little girl AND a prison full of pedos at the same time in such a movie, they had to eliminate one or the other from their execution, and it was Newt who got the axe, or the hacksaw to her sternum, as it were :^) . Had Newt survived the crash it is quite reasonable to suppose that she would have met with a much worse fate, which would just completely turn normie audiences off. Given the local population it was for the best for the character, tbqh. Even if she had gotten out in one piece, a possible rape or two aside, Newt's character would still have been dogged by WY over the Alien thing, and either disappeared her or shut her up some other way. According to the expanded lore, Morse was kept in solitary or somesuch for the rest of his life, and although he did manage to transmit a memoir entitled /Star Beast/ (a play on the original working title for Alien's screenplay), it was subsequently suppressed by WY, Da Gubmint, etc.

In addition to the model-thing I guess, it's my understanding that they did have a girl as a body double for Newt at certain points of the autopsy scene, who of course was not Carrie Henn. Imagine that ignominious credit : "I played dead Newt in Alien 3". Woof.

Somewhere in here there's a "dead baby" joke over who has it worse: an orphan, a raped orphan, or a dead orphan.

Or, you know, Ripley and Hicks could have just protected her.
OR they could have written a better script.