well, this was a dissapointment

pleb shit

huh?

well, no it wasnt

Why?
I want to see it.

What's bad about it?

Shitty beer with Steadman art to sell it to pretentious drinkers

If you're a Louis fan, you'll like it. Seems like most detractors don;t know how he works.

it wasn't bad, it just really wasn't anything new. There were some pretty good moments like paz out of nowhere, louis getting verbally torn down and not flinching, unstable source flipping his shit about louis doing a mock praise of LRH, etc etc etc It really wasn't disappointing.

>all the best scenes were scripted

ye, it was a disappointment
louis theroux's documentaries are valued for their candid moments with real people. there weren't any in this film.
he should have found more ex-scientologists, and spent time with them.

Too many bad Thethans infesting it?

>>all the best scenes were scripted
how retarded are you?
>paz was scripted
>the actors auditioning were scripted
>the "exericses" were scripted
>the unstable guy was scripted

there's just an alarming number of people who like scientology here, and the cognitive dissonance of liking both it and theroux isnt rectifiable for them, so they shit on the latter.

admittedly they stretched a lot out of a little and it did get tedious at points.

care to explain what the point of the actors were?
it just filler because they didn't have enough legit documentary footage.
I mean, they had to make THREE trips to that public/private road to get some interesting footage of scientologists.
This should have been a 30 minute documentary on bbc. Not a feature length film.
I'm big fan of louis but this was a terrible attempt at an expose.
He should stick to what he does well. Intimate documentary.

>Paz de la Huerta
>The cameraman
>Louis being 100% inexpressive while that girl told him that his wife fucked his brother
>Mark Rathbun being triggered when they thank L. Ron Hubbard
>It WAS a PUBLIC ROAD

kinomentary

this actually was an intimate documentary about Mark Rathbun but it clearly went over your head

but he's a completely uninteresting character and louis got nowhere with him.

I think we saw two different movies. Mark was like one of those autistic kids flipping out from the autism episode only he was coherent. Louis antagonizing him was pure fucking kino.

He was extremely interesting though

Is he actually violent?
Does he still believe in Scientology?
Why did he get so triggered when they thanked L. Ron Hubbard?
Why did he actually leave Scientology?

He's clearly a manipulative liar, you can never know whether he's telling the truth or not

Link?

Their blueberry lager isn't half bad.

... except he clearly and concisely explained his objections to scientology.

do you suffer from autism? There was something clearly off about Mark. There's always something clearly off about anyone who willingly joins scientology.

What he clearly and concisely explain is betrayed by his loony behavior.

>okay this session is to reduce your reactivity to external stimulus

>on one side, a woman.
>on the other, a man who's directly engaged with everyone from pedophiles to the westboro baptist church

yea that just wasn't fair.

>shitty beer
Obviously you haven't tried their entire line. Old Scratch is one of my favorite lagers.

>there's just an alarming number of people who like scientology here
nah there are just actual Scientologists that trawl Cred Forums for inflammatory content. They'll probably show up, if they already haven't to defend their kool aid.

Theroux's method is to ask the same inane questions over and over and, essentially, antagonize people until he gets what he feels is a human response from them.

This works extremely well when people are trying to hide something. Not so well when people are completely up front.

>I've never tried it but I'm a bitter know-it-all faggot so I'm just gonna bitch and namedrop to look cool on the internet

>This works extremely well when people are trying to hide something. Not so well when people are completely up front.
which is why the guy flipped his shit. A regular person would just answer the question again.

You seem to be forgetting about the times the guy got unhinged when louis wasn't even asking him questions.

so are you implying that the guy only acted the way he did because Louis antagonized him? What about the time when Louis was just talking to him and the guy flipped out because said that he was another embittered whatever? Louis was just stating a fact and the guy got crazy, just like how he got crazy when they were doing the mock praising of RLH

gimme some timestamps nigga.

It's also an expectations vs reality thing. Mark thought theroux was going to do another straight expose, but prison of belief already did that. Theroux is, always, first and foremost, inside and out, upside and down, about the human element of subjects that have been so heavily documented that a human side has been all but forgotten.

You chatting shit about Steadman?

>gimme some timestamps nigga.
at work. Guy only flipped out to being asked the same questions once, rest of the time it was just him being unstable and flipping out.

>Not so well when people are completely up front.
Except the man was CLEARLY hiding stuff and lying all the time

... you do realize they'd been together for months at that point, with theroux doing the same thing he always does, right?

Theroux needles people with straight forward to the point of inanity questions that are designed to provoke human responses. Mark, for some reason, wasn't familiar with theroux's work and, instead, thought he was going to take part in another documentary like prison of belief.

Furthermore, theroux's strategies preclude him from being able to just level with people about what hes doing and what he wants. As doing that would change the reactions he'd get.

So I could accept the "documentary" featuring actors instead of real footage, but half the movie was about the hiring of the actors who would appear in the movie, which was entirely uninteresting.

Also, getting followed by Scientologists while being stalked by them has been in literally every Scientology doc, and is pretty tired now.

Thats what your mom said last night

Louis should have gone in on Marty.

Dude commited some awful shit and got pissy when Louis brought it up. Marty enjoyed those reenactments way too much.

Louis should have gotten another ex-member to cast an actor to play Marty. Would have been interesting.

He also let that women push him about when it came to the ROAD CLOSED. Closed to cars you cunt, not to foot traffic.

He answered, straight forward, every question theroux asked. And commented about how he'd been asked the same questions over and over by theroux.

He was actually visibly relieved when theroux asked a direct and new question

>it hurt. It hurt my hand. That guy's built like a tank.

>Dude commited some awful shit and got pissy when Louis brought it up

So you watched a completely different documentary than everyone else. That's swell.

Mark seemed like the type of guy who was desperate to come clean about everything with no real idea of where to start.

He thinks theroux is going to be the guy that helps him do that. Instead theroux is more interested in how he felt about things, rather than what actually happened.

ok, that's fine and all, but that guy was clearly unhinged. You can't even blame louis for most of his reactions. Doesn't matter if the guy knew what louis' intent was, he knew he was on tape and gave the responses he gave. Normal people don't act like him, and it's sad if you think they do. It feels like you just want to take what the guy says at face value with a bias that louis was baiting him, and ignoring the context of who mark is and was.

not his strongest piece, but I think he had probably been working on it for so long that he just wanted to get it out. I could have sworn I heard him talk about it on some podcast that he'd been looking for an angle.

A list of acts Scientology has commited is fucking interminable.

Trump said on national TV that troops should kill the families of terrorists. No one cares.

The best parts of Going Clear were the personal parts. The BBC/Sweeney/South Park period covered all the essentials.

The same reasons The Master was great.

the guy was a nut though. Did you not hear his rant about how he was gonna take the whole thing down because they went after his kid or something.

No, I did not hear that, as it wasn't in the documentary I watched.

Except the scripted scenes were based what had happened.

I'm going to see it in a couple days, Louis is doing a Q and A afterwards. What should I ask him?

then we must not have watched the same one because there clearly was a moment like that.

wowee?

>head of Scientology is even shorter than Tom Cruise
>he's just a insecure crazy turbo manlet who's overcompensating
>everybody is just kind of going along with it because they're betas who don't want shitty reincarnations for a billion years.

Kek.

That Marc guy was also fucking crazy, but he seems to have gotten 'out crazied' so he fucked off because he couldn't handle the heat.

It was a helluva lot better than that new one on Savile. That shit was pointless.

Stop texting while you watch movies.

breh, I will rewatch the entire thing and give you a timestamp

Marky is obviously a cucked scientologist, he loves that shit but hates other people being worshipped instead of him, like when he was doing those drills and everyone was listening to him he was absolutely loving it, at least until Louis brought up the LRH portrait

He does talk about them going after his kid, because they said something to him like "how far is he from the foster home?" or some crap, which triggered him

>but half the movie was about the hiring of the actors who would appear in the movie, which was entirely uninteresting.
>he didn't get the meta brainwashing process that Louis was showing
There's a reason a documentary about Scientology took an in depth look at the acting process as well

Why was Louis antagonizing him though? That really didn't feel right to me and Louis actually came off as more of a douche to me than ever before

Paz saved it.

>but hates other people being worshipped instead of him

That so explains his rant about how once you start attributing everything good in your life to scientology then everything bad in your life becomes a result of your failures in scientology, creating a self-reinforcing delusion where everything good is the work of someone else and everything bad is your fault.

She's an odd looking braindead greasy turbo whore. Why am I attracted to her?

Because she radiates sex.

That's his process. That's how he gets all the great reactions/information he'll get. Ask the same question at different times and get different answers/reactions.

The entire documentary was basically just a documentary about how theroux failed to make an actual scientology documentary. Everything he did was an attempt to draw out miscavage, but miscavage didn't take any of the bait.

I think she might be an actual semen demon. She's not conventionally attractive but she's incredibly alluring

Shes not so much alluring as she looks like she'd be down to fuck and perform any sexual acts you could think of... as long as you had a camera.

because she's an odd looking braindead greasy turbo whore

>That's his process. That's how he gets all the great reactions/information he'll get. Ask the same question at different times and get different answers/reactions.

I haven't seen all of Louis docs, though I've seen a lot but~ His usual schtick is making people look like idiots because they're being ignorant idiots but with this Rathburn guy, he basically acknowledged everything's a load of BS and Louis was still trying to beat up on him for whatever reason. Rathburn was totally in the right to call him a fucking asshole at the end because Louis was just being a prick throughout the whole thing and Rathburn was mainly just trying to help out

Rathburn didn't understand what theroux wanted or theroux's process and theroux's process precludes him from being able to just flat out say, "all the shit against scientology has been documented exhaustively and I'm not here to get anything more on that. I'm here to find some sort of human level to all of this."

So, yea, rathburn thought it was BBC was doing prison of belief, turned out they were just doing a bog standard theroux documentary.

Consider myself fucked.

>completely uninteresting character

I have seen the face of pleeb. And it is u random user.

>someone didn't watch the whole documentary

I think Louie genuinely believed he could interview people in the church. While working on that angle he meets Marty and realizes the guy that has the been the poster child for anti-scientology narcissistic possibly to the point of a personality disorder and instead starts focusing on him. All the casting stuff and recreation wasn't just for the audience, it was to recreate the atmosphere for Marty and get him in that state of mind.

Marty didn't even leave Scientology because he realized it was crazy. He left because his egotistical mind believed his presence was so integral to Miscarriage, that him leaving would make him apologize and crawl back to Marty like a scorned lover. And his end rant about how David is subconsciously sending him signals shows that Marty hasn't change in all these years.

>Miscarriage

It would be perfectly fine if it aired as one of his docs, but it suffers from the raised expectations due to it being a film. It had some great moments but it didn't really all fit together into a cohesive thing. Louie's docs are usually more snapshots than narratives and his attempt at an arc doesn't work too well. It was fine but of the two Louie docs that came out this week it fell well short of Savile.

Of course it was

Another pathetic attempt to smear the Church by filming the same few embittered former members that all the anti-Scientology 'documentaries' rely on.

With posts like: in these threads, are they legitimately buttmad Scientologists or just pretending to be for ebin trolls?

>just pretending to be for ebin trolls?
If you remotely doubt this is the case, you're just naive. I'm serious.

Shit Scientology doco. So many better ones out there

My Marty Rathbun movie top moments:
>You don't need to leave, Catherine. You're not trespassing.
>Marty snaps in response to a harmless jest
>I am Paz.
>Louis is bullbaited by a qt
>Marty cheers up when asked how it felt to punch that guy
>the startling final revelation that it was a PUBLIC ROAD

The entire production was about louis theroux trying to draw out scientologists by engaging with their anti-christ to produce a documentary.

The problem is he misunderstood their "suppressive person" doctrine and basically canceled all hopes of ever engaging with any scientologist by engaging with mark rathburn period.

So the result was basically a documentary about the abortion of a documentary with a quick cameo from paz de le heurta. And maybe pissing off mark rathburn.

Daily reminder that Marty is still in and is a double agent tasked with controlling the anti-Scientology narrative

While it feels good to not be the only one who got that impression, you're fucking mad.

They have their top intelligence guys faux-defect and infiltrate critics all the time. It's a post-Hubbard thing and completely due to the Internet era. Started with Tory Christman. Mike Rinder is one of them too.

SO I SUPPOSE THEY REALLY DID SEND PAZ OVER THERE ON PURPOSE THEN HAD HER PULL OUT ONCE LOUIS INTIMATED HE CAUGHT ONTO THE FACT THE SENT PAZ OVER THERE

There just comes a point where this shit is completely mad.

I don't know anything about Paz, but it's possible I guess?

Tory, Marty, and Mike are for-sure 100% deep cover though.

What Scientology documentaries are worth watching?

I like the poster. Wanna see it from all the discussion going on in tbis thread, it's clearly got people thinking.

The Shrinking World of L. Ron Hubbard (1968)
Nightline David Miscavige interview
John Sweeney's "Scientology and Me"

fucking hell, that was a kekworthy

Anonymous lost against the Church of Scientology.