Your thoughts on this?

your thoughts on this?

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/8765565/A-Page-in-the-Life-Bernard-Cornwell.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

game of thrones if it kept season 1 quality throughout

vikino

Gold.

i thought it was pretty fucking good. i dropped vikings like 4 episodes into the latest season. i forget where i'm at so i cba to watch the rest.

did anyone else think vikings dropped in quality?

bernard cornwell is based

Great show, I hope they can keep it as good in S2, didn't like the Dane stuff nearly as much as the Englishman stuff, and with no more Eofric S2 can easily be disappointing.

Alfred is great though, hopefully he has more storytime in S2.

I though S4 was much better than S3, but it felt more like they "game of thrones-ed" it

Incredibly comfy. It has as many problems as Vikings and GoT and I really hate the lead actor(his looks and the way he speaks) but comfyness makes up for its shortcomings.

>did anyone else think vikings dropped in quality?
yes, I didn't even finish S3

maybe I'll pick it up again if I'm bored enough

It's what Vikings should be.

Instead Vikings is edgelord as fuck.

Enjoyed it better than Vikings last season, or the last couple of season to think about it.

...but there's only been one season, so far

Alfred is the real lead actor.

>It's an Uhtred gets screwed over episode
>It's an Uhtred make shit worse by complaining about it episode

>It's an Uhtred acts like a fedora atheist for no reason episode

I hope down the line they adapt Cornwell's King Arthur books too.

>It's an Uhtred acts like a fedora atheist for no reason episode
Bernard Cornwell has a pretty strong atheist streak, I think I read somewhere his parents were extreme Christians, so probably a reaction to that.

Makes sense I guess, it just tends to make Uhtred look like a shortsighted moron at times.

Although I guess he kind of is.

Uhtred was never the wisest of characters.

the Warlord Chronicles books also have a really anti-Christian streak but I think it's kind of justified since most of the characters wuz pagans an sheeit so they resent the encroach of the Christians

>it just tends to make Uhtred look like a shortsighted moron at times.
No I agree, being that anti-God in the 8th century is pretty dumb, and ahistorical really. But evil priests, and the evils of the Church are a recurring theme in his otherwise pretty good books.

But he's only anti Christian. He loves him some norse gods.

far better than vikings

Yeah, here you go,

Cornwell was one of five children adopted by Joe and Marjorie Wiggins, members of the Peculiar People, a now-extinct Protestant fundamentalist sect based in Essex. “Joe was angry,” says Cornwell. “He was not a sadist. He genuinely thought he could beat God into me.”

When he was seven, Marjorie told him she wish she had never adopted him. “She loved babies. She didn’t much like them when they got older. She hated me. I felt the same way. She was a very, very unhappy woman.
“I always remember as a child that if there were arguments between them you knew that you were going to get it and it would be taken out probably on me.”

The Peculiars did, however, give him a “mental wish list – wine, women, song, tobacco”. In addition, they were pacifists and young Bernard developed an abiding interest in all things military. His myopia meant he could not join the Army but the seeds of rebellion were already sown.

Cornwell read theology at London University because “I wanted to equip myself to fight them” and became a convinced atheist. “I got out the other end and found there wasn’t an enemy. It was a totally irrelevant fight.” Television was banned during his childhood so, after a spell teaching “O” Level Tudor history, he was naturally drawn to the BBC.

>telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/8765565/A-Page-in-the-Life-Bernard-Cornwell.html

the protag looks like a dick sucker

I've ready every book and I loved this series. Would recommend to any fans of history.

eloquent

damn

>for no reason
He had plenty of reason though; his birth culture taught piety while backstabbing eachother and throwing him to the wolves, and his adopted culture was full of superstitious pagans who backstab eachother. Then returning to his birth culture and saving his (pious) leige multiple times at great risks, gets humiliated and threatened with death because of petty bullshit (mostly concerning matters of piety).

It's perfectly reasonable for a character who went through such events to mistrust religion as a matter of course.

Best show ever created.

Based Alfred the Great

Feels like a good time-jump continuation of Vikings. Now that Vikings is shit.

it's like a viking harem anime. curious how it'll play out next season.

1st episode was purely amazing.
Rest of it was good, but I get agitated by things I perceive as ahistorical.
More people should learn about Anglo-Saxon and Viking relations though desu

>it's an user mistakes being a Pagan for being an Atheist episode

>I get agitated by things I perceive as ahistorical.
Such as? Genuinely asking; I don't really know this era that well.

Aethwold was an infant when this shit was going down, not a petulant 20 year old. He fought Alfred's son.
That was a big one which annoyed me, not so much because it makes it unwatchable but because the historical events are cool enough without changing things. Like the running through the marshes is kinda true (or at least a propagated myth)
Also, Alfred wrote with his left hand wearing a lavishly long dress. It'd have been impossible to write like that.
I remember being upset with the over dramatic death of a Viking Uthred kills. I dunno, I over think things and dont have fun. It was entertaining.

Have you read the books? Cornwell notes the decisions for some of his changes in the appendices. Usually it's to do with the fact that history often isn't 100% certain and he chooses the best version for his narrative. One time I was amused when he renamed a (real) Viking because he'd already had a (real) Viking of the same name invade and thought it would be confusing to readers.

I haven't read them. If he does that I appreciate it. My favorite historical fiction series is Flashman and that guy did tons of research.
But, I just differ on the need to change things for dramatic effect. I also regularly just listen to history lectures.

>My favorite historical fiction series is Flashman
Good man, ol Flashy is probably my favourite fictional character, shame they would never be able to make a show or movie on him anymore, GMF is far too tongue in cheek about the wrongs of the past, rather than outright condemning them for it to be acceptable nowadays.