CRTERION ANNOUNCES NETFLIX FOR KINOSEURS

indiewire.com/2016/10/filmstruck-launch-date-criterion-collection-turner-classic-movies-1201733919/

criterion.com/current/posts/4032-introducing-filmstruck

Does anyone see potential in this?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0043676/
imdb.com/title/tt0142489/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_tail
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I was excited until I heard they wouldn't have the TCM library, why the fuck would I care about a TCM streaming site that doesn't even have TCM movies? Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?

Should've called it FilmCuck

>not just going to the library and renting the video tapes

I already pay for Netflix, Hulu+, HBO Now, and Amazon Prime, any new streaming service can suck my dick. Most Criterion films are sleep-inducing garbage anyway (not saying most shit on netflix or hulu is any better). I can download any ones I really want to see.

Doesn't Hulu already have all the Criterions?

I haven't checked in a while. They do have a lot with a changing stock, but apparently they're losing the contract so they can be streamed elsewhere, that could all be rumor though.

wtf is a library?

wtf is a tape?

Agreed, I love some of their releases but 90% of Criterion's catalog is look-how-smart-I-am bullshit worshiped by hipster film-student type faggots

Filmstruck sounds like a crock of shit, I mean they aren't even using the Turner Entertainment library. Why the fuck is TCM even involved in the first place if we can't watch those movies?

I was on the beta for this, for 3 months I had the service.

The selection is garbage, only a few hundred films, only 3 silent films, only 2 john ford films, the quality is excellent. it leans more towards criterion films than TCM films.

fandor is much better, hundreds of silent films, thousand of films. watchtcm is also much better.

but as a beta tester I'll be receiving the service for free for a year, so I'll watch it. they told me they'll expand the service for the full launch with more titles.

they asked us quizzes about what we thought of it, I said "give me quantity over quality, I don't want you to filter out the films for me, let me do that myself." I love classic films, that's why I love tcm, I see films few have ever seen, that have never been released on video or DVD.

sorry, by quality I meant video quality, it's perfect full HD and some 4k streaming.

but the selection was horrific. for some reason they let tanner `88 take up like 25% of the search results.

I have watchtcm and I get like 5 obscure silent films every two weeks that arent anywhere else on the net.

>"Hey guys, why haven't you cut the cord yet? Steaming is so much cheaper!"

Meanwhile, services are getting cut up so badly, that within a couple of years the average consumer will be back to paying the equivalent amount they did for cable.

Honestly, if I were you I'd drop netflix, Hulu+, Hbo now, and amazon prime and simply get Fandor and WatchTCM if you want something that's better than filmstruck.

The problem is with piracy you're only getting films that are demanded by consumers, and streaming is the same way.

TCM gives you films nobody has seen and nobody wants, but most of them are fucking great. but you have to have a cable subscription, it's so gay.

Wow have you even heard of usenet?

I have to use explicit filters to screen out all the charlie chaplin and buster keaton fucking garbage people incessantly spam

call me when watchtcm is available without a cable/satellite subscription

until then they can go fuck themselves, I'll just look at their schedule and download whatever looks interesting

It'll have the library but now all at once, they're gonna rotate films in and out monthly.
pleb
pleb
Hulu is dropping all of their Criterion films in November

Usenet doesn't have Inside Straight from 1951, a movie with 101 votes on IMDb that had 62 votes on IMDB before it aired on TCM a few months ago:

imdb.com/title/tt0043676/

I saw it by chance on TV, I'd never heard of it and it was fucking great.

Usenet doesn't have Black Line, a terrific japanese film noir thriller from 1960 that has 49 fucking votes on IMDB:

imdb.com/title/tt0142489/

You will not find obscure media on there. You'll only find really popular films- and I'm not saying that's a bad thing to have popular films, but I love discovering new things. TCM has an "everything but the kitchen sink" approach.

*not all at once

Pleb.

Filmstruck is not going to be worth it. Fucking youtube has more silent films that filmstruck. they had faust, the passion of joan of arc, and something else. 3 fucking silent films.

A sort of... Netkino

Why are you calling me a pleb exactly? I didn't even mention Filmstruck

I love TCM but I'm not going pay for a bunch of channels I'll never watch just to have access to it

Because you called me a pleb when I was only trying to explain what the filmstruck beta was like?

unlike you I've actually used the service, and I'm telling you, the selection is tiny.

ever heard of the long tail, nigga?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_tail

No who you're talking to, but you'd expect a tiny selection in a closed beta. They're just testing the interface and back end. Why not wait until it's released before talking about it's selection?

I never called you a pleb, I guess you made an incorrect samefag assumption, I'm but I am not interesting article though I guess

Since I'll be getting it for free I'll definitely be checking it out, and I'll be happy to eat my words, but the press release indicates they're going for the "curated Criterion" approach in general and not the "unfiltered TCM" approach. It'll probably be barely any Turner films at all. They want the careful selection of "quality" films rather than quantity.

Believe me, I wanted this to be good, I hope I'm wrong. I love the Criterion collection and TCM.

I would pay $100 a month for the entire TCM and Criterion library streaming.

I really don't give a shit.

Yes you do.

>I really don't give a shit
salty

next time just don't assume everyone else in the thread is the same person faggot

You just made me realise something. There will come a time when all films we consider seminal and classic will become public domain.

Kek Disney will have to go out of business for anything else to enter public domain

Yes, but restorations cost money.

most public domain films on youtube have shit quality.

k

MAGA The ovens are warming up.

Considering Criterion barely focuses on actual rare material my interest is low.