What went so horribly wrong?

What went so horribly wrong?

You spent too long on Cred Forums.

There wasn't 10 straight hours of dicking Jessica Jones

On top of the shitty politics that permeate the show, it's terribly edited, poorly directed and horribly written.

Mahershala Ali and the music are its only redeeming values. Also, Simone Missick has great tits.

Anyone have the webm of the gook and Cage getting shot at in the diner by an anti air rocket launcher and surviving? It's the most embarrassing scene I've seen in a television show.

Actually, Cred Forums would probably like this show to some extent. I mean, Luke is basically a reactionary. He's a former cop, he beats the shit out of other blacks, he hates the word "nigga," he hates black on black crime (despite committing it), he yearns for the "good ol' days" and so on.

The show was REALLY poorly edited, the direction made me question the validity of auteur theory, and the writing was unquestionably abysmal but what really got me was the cavalier insertion of ridiculously petty politics into what should have been a neutral programme.

If Netflix is allowed to get away with this, I shudder to think what will be next.

each netflix capeshit show got worse and worse

god i hope this isnt the case for Iron Fist

I'm nkt gay, but he is veryhandsome for a black male.

The 13th Amendment

Should have only been 9 or 10 episodes. 13 was way too much.

Negro, I'm not even high yet but damn, this is pretentious as fuck.

Way too long. Should have been 8 or 10 episodes at most. The actual character is pretty cool and I was hoping for more heroes for hire setup, but I suppose that's more for after the Iron Fist series?
The politics, cop stuff, and race stuff was really really corny. Then again the source material was incredibly corny as well - I felt like it did better earlier in the series when it was embracing more of that.
Diamondback was stupid. Cottonmouth was decent. The female cop was annoying and she was basically as cringy as Foggy was, just my shitty opinion.
Overall still fun, just way too long and the third act is pretty terrible. I feel weird to even complain that much since it's pretty neat we're even getting superhero shows that aren't complete shit in the first place.

nothing, other than you being an insecure white boi

you don't know what pretentious means

and an ooga booga to you too, fine sir

>What went so horribly wrong?
She didn't get naked enough.

Remind me Arrow and the Flash.

The start was very good and very promising. But at the end of the 3rd and 4th season, it deteriorated quickly.

The same goes for Luke Cage, except that evolution occurs on one single season.

My explanation is simple: a TV series is carried by the villain. When they are good (Reverse Flash, Cotonmouth), the series are good.

Would you a Reva?

>Cred Forums beards hate this show because shit with black people in it triggers them
>SJWs hate this show because Luke Cage discusses black-on-black crime, black fatherless culture, self-responsibility, and talks "like a white guy"

Pic related is never wrong. Go picket the show with your SJW allies at the next FREEDOM FOR PALESTINE convention

real talk here, how did we went from DD to this?

This show gave me the fever (aye aye)

Cred Forums was allowed to cross post. Die in a fire faggot. Anyone who takes video game "culture" seriously enough to post about it on a Cambodian finger puppet BBS should probably put a gun in their mouth.

No I just don't like capeshit.

That's really not cool that they would put Felicity in black face when there's so many black actresses they could have cast.

Cottonmouth died halfway through, that's what.

The whitebois getting BTFO

This is the fundamental problem with not just Luke Cage, but every show Marvel is putting out right now on Netflix.

>Start building up a villain
>Throw it all away and bring in a new character mid season and completely forget about it

Happened with Daredevil Season 2. Focus on Punisher, then completely drop it off the face of the earth and focus entirely on Elektra. Daredevil should've been about balancing his new Law Firm with being a vigilante.

Luke moved out of Hells Kitchen into Harlem and for whatever reason has nothing. He's revealed himself to be super powered and that should be an interesting dynamic in the show, but every confrontation comes down to:
>Luke Cage can't die, he just shrugs off all the damage
the ONE interesting thing that happened was Cottonmouth finding out he was Carl and threatening to send him to Seagate. Then we get some backstory, some insight into Cottonmouths character only for him to get killed by a shit character who becomes the focus.

Everyone raves about these Marvel shows. They have good production values, but they're shit.

Same thing that happened to every netflix show ever.

There was a logical point to end it that felt like a natural completion to the arc of the main characters and they pushed way past it.

Narcos, house of cards, both seasons of daredevil, JJ, luke cage, bloodline...the list goes on bro, all of the day.

JJ is by far the worst offender of this.

They had the villain in the fucking cell. That was the end.

Then they did some retarded ass shit and we got another what, half season?

Fucking horrendous writing.

What went wrong

1) The ending fight. Diamondback's costume at the end looks terrible, and the fight choreography was shit.

2) There are some bad music choices. While a lot of it was good, some of it was really terrible, especially Method Man's Luke Cage rap (which is on the level of Vanilla Ice's Ninja Turtle rap). There were some really good uses of music, but there were also scenes that dragged on because they wanted to hold on a song without realizing that it added nothing to the story. I know I'll get hated on for saying it, and again, most of the music was good, but they did make some bad choices that really stuck out.

3) They killed off Cottonmouth too early, leaving a gap that was never quite filled. Mariah Dillard came close, but just as she started getting interesting, they brushed her aside for Diamondback.

4) Diamondback. In addition to points 1 and 3, his actor was terrible.

5) They got confused on the tones. The first part of the series had a steady gritty style with subtle nods to blaxploitation, but then it shifts to just blaxploitation (without making any real insights or commentary on the genre) toward the end. Winds up feeling like third-rate Tarantino stuff.

6) They blew all the interesting cinematography at the beginning and, by the end, it's entirely gone and the whole thing is shot like an episode of Supergirl.

In fact, if I were to sum it up, it starts strong, drops off after a few episodes, and ends weak.

Still, overall, got to say that I liked this one and had fun watching it.

>Mahershala Ali
>redeeming value

literally licks his lips and fakes a laugh in EVERY FUCKING SCENE

Same problem with season 2 of Daredevil really. Introduce a good and interesting adversary (Frank and Cottonmouth) and drop him halfway through i favor of another that is infinetly less so (Nobu and Diamondback/Mariah).
IMO Cage is worse because they literally killed the guy.

Same problem with season 2 of Daredevil really. Introduce a good and interesting adversary (Frank and Cottonmouth) and drop him halfway through i favor of another that is infinetly less so (Nobu and Diamondback/Mariah).
IMO Cage is worse because they literally killed the guy.
Also this.

Censored version of Bring the Ruckus irked me. Especially because they're saying Niggah every chance they had.

There's no tension in the first half.

then they come up with magic bullets that don't actually kill Luke or even damage him in any meaningful way. It was just there as a way to slow the pace down to deliver exposition and backstory for luke that wasn't needed.

All these shows have horrendous pacing honestly. Which is amazing because most of them are "short" by modern series standards.

They start him out as a pretty generic villain where, like you said, he licks his lips and fakes a laugh in every scene. But then they start developing him and we learn more about him, and he stops licking his lips and fake laughing so much, and he starts getting interesting and good.

And then they kill him off.

There's a steady decline in the quality of the Netflix capeshit with each passing year.
Probably brought new shitty writers as it usually happens.

>doesn't like show
>must be racist

You wanna know how you know someone is doomed in a netflix series?

The second they delve into their backstory.

>Pops
>Used to be a thug, Pops came from the sound of his fists
>Literally dies that episode, or the one after

>Cottonmouth
>Gets backstory
>Literally dies that episode or the one immediately after

>Find out Scarfe is dirty
>Dies immediately

You can't just kill off a character for no reason. It makes the events feel worthless.

I felt like there was tension in the first half, but that the magic bullets killed any of that tension.

The tension was that Cottonmouth always just shot away his problems, starting with his uncle. But now here's this big dude who he can't just gun down and make go away, so they start to take it in a direction where he has to resort to other means, such as threatening to expose him, or threatening innocent people. I thought it was neat when Mariah was like "you can't shoot him but can you drown him and you bury him in wet cement can you poison him can you give him a STD" and so on.

But then they just forget that and buy magic bullets. It's just lazy. And even when they do things like frame him (which is smart), they do it in a lazy way at the end. Diamondback yelling "I'M LUKE CAGE" after punching a cop was hilariously cheesy and bad.

To be fair, they delved into Diamondback, Mariah, and Luke's backstories, too, and they all survived. We even learn more about Misty, and she makes it.

But I agree with what you said. The moment the story started focusing on their backstories, I knew their days were numbered.

I agree he was starting to get interesting, but then they just kill him off.

So how is that a redeeming aspect of this terribly written show?

The overacting by the villains is fucking annoying

BLACK COP LADY: HEY PASS ME THE BALL

DRROOOOPPPPPEEDDDDD

Send a nigga to jail and he comes out with super powers.

Aint that a bitch?

>the only exposure to misty knight anyone will have is an annoying character in a bad show
>she will never be the cool misty I know and love again

fuck you, monkey paw

It isn't. It's one of the things I didn't like about the show.

Actually, I'd be willing to forgive them killing him off if they had made Mariah or Diamondback as interesting as him, but they never really do (Mariah comes close, but then Diamondback steals the focus, and his whole revenge plot isn't as interesting as they thought it was).

I don't read comics and wasn't familiar with the character, so I googled her after your post and Jesus, the waste potential.

if it makes you fel any better i just read the comic vine article

They started injecting Identity Politics, mostly in the last few episodes

LUKE KAAANNNGGGG!!!!!!

He's indestructible you fucking idiot.

Huh?

I liked it, the worst thing for me was the pacing, but all the Marvel shows have that problem so far. Also, I really wish they played up the "blaxploitation film" angle more often.

"Luke Cage, savior of the neighborhood" got stale quickly and the addition of a clear villain/goal earlier on could have helped the show out too. The reluctant hero trait is probably one of the worst traits you could give your MC.

The best parts for me was actually his origin story, and when he was injured and needed help, probably because of what I said before.

dropped at episode 4. the editing and directing is so so so so so bad.

Luke Cage was fool dropping dude who got paid for doing hero shit.

This Luke Kang is is souless husk.

i thought Claire was cool but they didnt give her enough screen time in DD.
Now they ruined her character in LC. At this point i dont even want her to appear in DD again