Koyaanisqatsi

What does Cred Forums think of this movie?

youtube.com/watch?v=1jM2WA2WbDc

>Koyaanisqatsi: Life Out of Balance, is a 1982 American experimental film directed by Godfrey Reggio with music composed by Philip Glass and cinematography by Ron Fricke.

>The film consists primarily of slow motion and time-lapse footage of cities and many natural landscapes across the United States.
>The visual tone poem contains neither dialogue nor a vocalized narration: its tone is set by the juxtaposition of images and music.
>Reggio explained the lack of dialogue by stating "it's not for lack of love of the language that these films have no words. It's because, from my point of view, our language is in a state of vast humiliation. It no longer describes the world in which we live."
>In the Hopi language, the word Koyaanisqatsi means "unbalanced life".

Its an amazing visual narrative. The last scene made me cry.

Do not watch its sequels, they are not as good, and are too preachy.

Baraka, and Samsara are top notch as well. Watch highest quality on the biggest screen.
Baraka has a 4k release and/or scan

Love it a lot OP, rewatch it once every year or so
Have you seen the rest of the series?
And have you watched Baraka and Samsara?

I started watching powaqqatsi but after 20 minutes stopped it. It's nowhere near as deep as Koyaanisqatsi. (As also states)

A few months ago the Philip Glass ensemble played Koyaanisqatsi live with the movIe playing behind them on screen at lowlands festival. It was a great experience.

I will watch Barala amd Samsara, thanks.

it's a shame that the people of this board only care about the latest episode of some soap series.

the part where it goes bad ass with the name of the movie on audio
KOOOOYNANNYSQUATSUUUUUUUUU
with the deep voice
so great me rikey

>1.85:1
Another pleb transfer for the pile.

>watching a dvd rip.
why

>wrong aspect ratio
>"remaster"

no.

Blu-ray's are all cropped.

The director approved the Criterion remaster.

>The last scene made me cry.

Weird. Me too. I almost never cry at any media but damn I love this film and its so powerful.

thx for the rec

welcome! enjoy.

Best part is the music, visuals are also stunning.
What I didn't like is the preachy attitude but you can safely ignore that.
Yeah, yeah, humans bad nature good. I get it.

the first two movies were brilliant and the third was meh

i agree with that one guy:"digital age is the end of cinema. cinema cannot represent digital age."

I don't understand morons who say they can watch and enjoy this film, and stuff like Baraka, but yet NOT appreciate art house films?

How the fuck does your brain even work?

>Reggio is a hack
>Philip Glass music is musickino tho
>Ron Fricke photo is kinomatography too

Damm, mixed feelings

I love Koyaanisqatsi. Had the good fortune of seeing it again, but live, a month or 2 ago by the Philip Glass ensemble.

I'm not an emotional guy, but with Koyaanisqatsi I have to hold it in. The music, the visuals. it's fucking great.

the 'preachy attitude' is in your own mind, really. you are the interpreter of the film.

'arthouse' is a very wide genre. like 'cartoons': Aeon Flux is a cartoon, but so are the carebears.

>Cred Forums actually likes a truly good movie
color me surprised

It stole the soundtrack from Interstellar.

It's you who should approve of what you're watching :)

Baraka and Samsara are better

I didn't notice any narratives in any of these films other than "humans bad nature good"

Koyan has nice scenes but it plays like a demo reel for the other two

So this is just a bunch of retarded stock footage? What's the point? Might as well watch a youtube stock footage channel?

A Chris Marker film except aimed at retards.

>Baraka and Samsara are better
pleb.jpg

better a supposed pleb than a contrarian

what does koyan do that the others dont do better?

Real amazing experience to see on the big screen.

I can't imagine how it would have felt watching it back in the 80s ; it'd be like a caveman seeing fire. So many shots from the film are standard now; the original impact must have been immense.

Koyaanisqatsi has a point.

Philip Glass >>> Michael Stearns

>stock footage

No memes, literally blew my mind.

I was sober at the time too.

A 10/10 for me. Profoundly affecting. Sorry to sound like a gaylord.

I didn't even get that from it. I actually thought, in parts, it showed how awesome we were. We managed to alter the envrionment in minutes in a manner that took the elements thousands of years.

Then there are the parts that made me feel like an ant.

>The last scene made me cry.

Why though? It wasn't an actual disaster or anything.

The great music basically carried the film. Personally I feel like they could have selected more powerful footage. Like I really expected something more epic than the take down of some old apartment building for that theme form Watchmen. But maybe then it would have been too cliche.

Also >this scene

>but yet NOT appreciate art house films?

Well these films all have some great visuals and music to offer. With arthouse movies you sometimes are literally watching paint dry.

hipster movie before hipster movies were a thing