Frodo...

>Frodo, did I ever tell you how I convinced your uncle Bilbo to do a really dangerous journey that almost led to his death several times and also destroyed his mental health by making him addicted to a ring. And the best thing is: He didn't even gaid anything by that journey. I guess I wasn't a good friend.

>gaid anything by that journey
He got a ring out of it - quit complaining.

It's said quite explicitly that Bilbo became by far the wealthiest hobbit ever owning more capital than the rest of all Hobbiton in the first couple chapters of the book. Fuck you piece of shit

Is this the new eaglepasta?

He WAS now a rich hobbit. You fucking cunt.

>Frodo, did I ever tell you about the time I recruited your uncle to be a burglar for an extremely dangerous mission specifically for the reason that Smaug wouldn't be able to smell him because he was a hobbit which was something Smaug had no experience with, but he was immediatly able to smell him anyway? He was a good friend

gandalf didn't know about the ring
bilbo took home a huge chest of gold and the mythril armor
he also became near immortal and stopped aging due to the ring

So hobbits are supposed to be Irish then, isn't it?

>frodo, did I ever tell you the time I duped your uncle into stealing a gem from a dragon, essentially using him as live bait before immediately thrusting him into a battle between 3 warring factions? I was a good friend...speaking of which, want to come on an adventure?

Why did Sauron only make one horcrux?

Actually he made him rich enough to buy the entire Shire. Also Gandalf had no idea that it was the One Ring at the time

he got stories to tell

This. Canonically Gandalf suspected something was wrong immediately but didn't get the true story out of Bilbo until quite a while after the events of The Hobbit.

I really hate this fucking movie, and the novel.

I mean what is the point honestly is it so much to ask for a main character to start out at level 99?

>"Gandalf. Now, that's a name I've not heard in a long time. A long time"

Budgetary concerns

>Frodo, did I ever tell you about my eagle friends? They helped us back then, when we did that dangerous journey with your uncle. Maybe they will help you and your fellowship one day, but not now, because they are on vacation. They were good friends.

>Frodo, did I ever tell you about my friend Barliman Butterbur? I once gave him crucial information about your journey that would have helped you immensely and saved you trouble. Barliman is also a functioning retard that can't remember a thing so he never gave you the information, which put you in the arms of the nazgul. He was a good friend.

>He didn't even gaid anything by that journey.

Nigger, he's the richest motherfucker in the Shire.

>"Frodo, have I ever told you about good old Tom Bomadil? Oh you have met him? It is a surprise since every tree in Tom Bombadil’s Country is a malevolent huorn, hating humankind. Every single tree. And the barrows of the ancient kings that lie nearby are defiled and inhabited by Barrow-Wights. Bombadil has the power to control or banish all these creatures, but he does not do so. Instead, he provides a refuge for them against men and other powers. And yet you're still alive.
Now, I was sent to Middle Earth to contend against Sauron and now I must depart. I have been given no mission to confront Bombadil and I must soon leave Middle Earth to powerless men and hobbits, while Bombadil remains, waiting to fulfill his purpose.
The spell that binds Bombadil to his narrow and cursed country may last a few decades more, perhaps a few generations of hobbit lives.
And one dark night the old trees will march westward into the Shire to feed their ancient hatred. And Bombadil will dance down amongst them, clad in his true shape at last, singing his incomprehensible rhymes as the trees mutter their curses and the black and terrible Barrow-Wights dance and gibber around him. And he will be smiling.
But this isn't my problem, isn't it?
After all, he was a good friend."

This dumbass just fell down a hole for a few weeks and he forgot his name??? LMAO

Wait, does this imply that Bombadil was Melkor or perhaps something worse?

Gandalf was, like, an angel sent by the gods to stop Sauron, right?

Why didn't the gods just come to Middle Earth and instantly fuck him up instead of letting so many mortals die in the wars?

He got chests full of gold, silver, and jewels, making him the richest hobbit in town. He also got a magic ring.

>also destroyed his mental health by making him addicted to a ring

Gandalf didn't realize what it was at the time tbf. He just thought it was some random magic item. Although when he started to suspect, he decided to run off to Gondor to do some research first to make sure when he really should have gone straight to Bilbo's house and just taken it himself.

I've always assumed that Bombadil was Melkor, just trapped in a relatively weaker form. That's why he's strong enough to withstand all of Mordor's forces (Gandalf mentions this when somebody suggests giving Bombadil the ring) but it's also why he wouldn't care about protecting the ring and would probably just hand it over.

The Valar don't give a shit about mortals. They murdered everyone in Numenor just to try to kill Sauron.

Okay, so they don't give a shit about mortals.

Still doesn't explain why they didn't just come and obliterate Sauron themselves instead of sending Gandalf to whip up some mortal army to MAYBE be able to do it.

The last time the Valar went to war, they caused a ridiculous amount of collateral damage (I don't remember the details, but I think they basically broke a continent). Maybe they were afraid of having a repeat?

And of course, Tolkein was a devout Christian, so I think for him it was just natural to think of God (or gods, in this case) as a detached observer who occasionally sends an emissary.

>he really should have gone straight to Bilbo's house and just taken it himself.
no

They murdered the númenorean fleet when they tried to invade valinor (the undying lands so no mortals allowed) and then sank the island Númenor

The valar arent gods though

It worked pretty well.

Smaug would have barbecued any dwarf, elf or man on smell.
Bilbo lived because he intrigued Smaug and knew when to run

This. That damn wizard is like a Chinese family curse

why didn't Legolas know the elven word for friend?

He's literally one of us
Other than the being extremely talented, good looking and loved by all part

It isn't that he didn't know. It's that the riddle didn't specify (or, actually, it quite literally did now that I think of it) what word(s) had to be spoken to gain entrance.

You're forgetting that Tom is older than every other living thing in middle earth. He has seen every one of those trees and plants grow from an acorn, seed, etc.

I think it's safe to assume Tom is merely viewing them as grumpy. I mean, surely they weren't always evil, I think Tom mentions this at some point as well.

Besides that, as a nature spirit Tom probably views good and evil as irrelevant. We don't call the sea evil when a ship sinks, it's just nature.