Is animation an inherently superior medium to live action?

Is animation an inherently superior medium to live action?

Just saw Disney's Hercules, andif this had been live action, it wouldn't have been tenth of the film at ten times the price.

Animation makes Actors, physical sets and even physical limitations obsolete because you can draw whatever you like, while doing it very cheaply.

Live action need big stars who understand the roles, can act and then need tons of merchandising and advertising to turn a profit, and the thereis a while chain of people whose ass you have to kiss to get a rols, instead of which you could just geta voice acting role.

What do you think?

BTW this movie was relaly amazing, suggest more like this please.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5OIQM608joc?t=104
twitter.com/kubo_chika/status/658611075936464896
youtube.com/watch?v=7TX9LfUQJUE
youtube.com/watch?v=BcSuAhbtIFg
youtu.be/nC3t51wGNRY?t=9
youtu.be/fEJgfclNTjQ?t=90
youtu.be/rtuobBa46S0?t=356
wiki.puella-magi.net/Deciphering_the_runes
wiki.puella-magi.net/Sayaka_Miki#Speculations_and_Observations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can also do a 13 years later sequel without worrying about everyone looking the same.

>while doing it very cheaply

The problem is that then animation will become more expensive aswell, which is the case with CGI.

CGI is modern animation. Nowadays the budget for the computer geeks is almost as high as for the actors (in action films etc).

Avatar is essentially the epitomy of animation.

Totally fabricated "everything" and the people loved it. However in order to make a film like Avatar, it takes 3 years and a 300 million dollar budget for an experienced director.

And you still have the possibility of a total flop like "John Carter" (even though I enjoyed alot).

is there anyone that actually watches that garbage on repeat?

>animation
>cheap

All that, plus quality animation is a very highly skilled kind of labor. Any gook can use a computer and make models but doing it detailed takes time, and getting the lighting right to make it look "cinematic" can also be very challenging. It's why real DPs have worked as advisers on animated films, like Deakins on Rango

Animation isn't just 3d shit, it can be 2d animation, too. Thta is significantly cheaper.

Animators are paid nothing.

Watch Atlantis, Great Mouse Detective.

Aladdin 3 is pretty interesting. Titan AE. Treasure Planet (except the last 1/3 has an annoying character)

Comparative to the amount of work they do. Thousands of hours of work for low pay is still a lot of money

Fair enough.

Stop being contrarian. Were talking about animation.

Visually Avatar is the best looking thing up to date.

Not even Hobbit HFR looked as good as Avatar in the cinema.

What about The Hunchback Of Notre Dame?

Great music, great villain.

Not a fan of most of the other characters but it's good.

But, hand drawn, takes significantly longer.

you never watched animation as a kid OP? Lion King is animationkino in case you haven't seen it

i really liked hand drawn animations. Too bad the genre died out completely

not the same, but I'm glad there's stop motion movies still being made

gotta shill again for Aardman's The Pirates! because I really liked it and hardly see it mentioned

what is the name of that movie where the guy is wearing a mask in the middle of the ocean and a wave hits him so he cant go forward. pls respond

Why has there never been a better looking dragon than pic related.

Spirited Away

it's not a mask

thanks maynnnnn

I'm impressed you could figure it out based off that shit explanation. Saw that movie loads of time but never would have guessed.

Literally the worst Disney film of the modern era. James Woods can't even prop it up.

Also,
>animation
>cheap
OP confirmed retarded faggot.

>Literally the worst Disney film of the modern era.
confirmed for not keeping up, Hercules is an audiovisual masterpiece compared to lazy turds like Chicken Little, Home on the Range or all those cheapo direct-to-video sequels of their beloved classics

capeshit movies should be 100% CGI that way action would be a lot better

>Visually Avatar is the best looking thing up to date.

Disney's Jungle Book remake

>Chicken Little
>Home on the range
Kek. It's not a fair comparison.

Hercules is good, though yes, several don't like it. I disagree.

An okay movie. Liked it, especially the visuals, but fuck Mowgli had a bad actor.

>Just saw Disney's Hercules
What for the first fucking time? Jesus christ underages need to leave and or die. What the fuck kind of kid didn't watch all that shit as a kid 20 times a day? Fuck outta here with that shit millenial.

You're a millenial too, asshat.

I was too busy watching Dragon Ball

I cannot believe you got that.

>kid actor
way to fuck up any movie

>watch animated movie
>think about how much better it would be live action
Just imagine all the disney renaissance movies exactly the same but live action. Pure kinography.

Hercules is by far my favourite.

Perfect characters, especially Hades.

I suppose Meg was a bit weak but you can't have a Disney film without a love interest

I love it but the comedy relief gargoyles are the worst. Also, how the fuck did a rated G movie get away with implied genocide?

>If you haven't watched every movie ever you're under-aged
That is fucking stupid. You're fucking stupid. Stop being so stupid user.

Hercules is garbage.

As a fan of greek mythology it triggers me on so many levels.

I can go the distance and I wont say im in love are really good songs but the film itself as a whole is definately not good.

>thank you based lucas

I have to agree with this. Literally could not tell the animals were cgi, very immersive film.

>just saw
Underage b&

Its Greek Mythology but they call him by his Roman name instead of Heracles. Shit like that triggers me hard.

Western animation is a joke compared to japanese animation, just saying

there are far worse issues. like making hades the villain instead of hera and turning him into a deal-making satan in everything but name

This. Why did Zeus not ntr Hera? Why did the film not show "Hercules" dumping Meg when she got too old for a hot, younger sex bunny? Why did the film show Hades as the bad guy when he was actually the best god in Greece and Zeus was the raping asshole?

C'mon Disney, be faithful to the source material! I want to see Zeus hanging Hera by her ankles and torturing her.

Lmfao fuck off weeb, everything the nips know they learned from Americans and Europeans. Anone has some high points (Akira et al.) But you're delusional to think anime is better.

>yfw want to enjoy anime again.
>yfw the japanese are terrible story tellers and NEOGENESIS EVANGELION is literally the apex of the entire median.
>yfw the apex ended after princess mononoke. everything started to be cgi shit blasted on the screen.
>yfw plebs actually gobbled up kora.
>yfw anime is the definition of Lowest common denominator autist trash.

I should really travel to japan and impregnate as many women as i can with my gaijain jeans to save their people.

Now post the stilted and limited animation from the rest of that episode, user.

>rest of that episode
It's from the movie

>NEOGENESIS EVANGELION is literally the apex of the entire medium.

>He hasn't seen Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Why would she waste the energy to rip it in half after it had clearly been disabled?

Wasn't anime born out of Japan's love of Disney movies?

Japanese animation started out as WW2 war propaganda and was later influenced by Disney.

What do you expect? He's on Cred Forums

No. It's like comparing comic books to real literature. Animation, anime, whatever is a joke in comparison to real film. Sure there are some good films, but they are few and far between.

>What the fuck kind of kid didn't watch all that shit as a kid 20 times a day?

Holy fuk, my mum told me a story that once when I was a kid i watched Hercules on vhs 11 times in one sitting

its fucking good bro

Japan is the last bastion of 2D animation, if it wasn't for them it'd be borderline extinct, we'd be left with 5-10 flash animated shit.

ur dumb

Like it matters if they produce mostly worthless garbage.

Even if 90% of what they make is garbage, that 10% of quality is more than what the rest of the world is doing.
The only reason there's so much shit is cause they just make SO MUCH.
America gets a handful of new shows a year if it's lucky, Japan is pumping out about a 100 a year, not counting movies and shit.

>10%
It's not even 10%. And there is nothing wrong with 3D. And you are posting old anime. Modern anime don't look like that.

Is the reason why most animation, at least the Western kind, is created, marketed and thought of as kiddie shit because when animation grew as a separate art form in the early 20th century the main influence on them were the funny pages and early comic strips?

youtu.be/5OIQM608joc?t=104

One Punch Man has an average budget and yet the animation blows literally any cartoon the west has done in the last ten years.

and it's not just this one scene, the animation is consistently this quality.
The animation was so good that people thought it had a massive budget and the director himself had to come out and say that wasn't the case.

twitter.com/kubo_chika/status/658611075936464896

>One Punch Man has an average budget and yet the animation blows literally any cartoon the west has done in the last ten years.
And that's irrelevant. Western cartoons aren't about animation. They are mostly about comedy.
Anyway, who cares about animation if everything else is subpar? Do you really enjoy some stupid crap about characters beating each other up? It's just childish nonsense.

I think the original Berserk is a strong contender for the pinnacle of anime series. Though I'd say EVA beats it, but not by terribly much.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were epic trolling.

>I think the original Berserk is a strong contender for the pinnacle of anime series.
No.
Please if you've only watched a handful of entry level shows, don't try to claim what the pinnacle of the medium is.

Akira

This but not in a meme opinion way
I like anime but there's a fundamental difference in the way Japanese people, or at least the people behind writing and adapting anime, structure stories that bothers me to no end, to the point where I feel like I have to write off the plot to 75% of anime in order to enjoy it at all

>we are still referencing 90's anime in 2016.

The median is beyond dead lads...

lol no

cont. "fun" story, the first anime series I ever watched was Evangelion and I was blown away, I'd seen some Ghibli-films before and I actually loved them but this, this was next level stuff. Then I watched Berserk and was deeply engrossed, now convinced that I had discovered the gates of anime and that my future held endless of enjoyment from these masterfully skilled nips. Little did I know that I literally watched the two best anime series in existence in a row, and nothing else would even compare.

Tried watching Death note, the GitS-series, Cowboy Bebop, nothing was even close.

I'm not trolling.

See
Far from dead in Japan, literally dead in the US.

I'm making animated short films right now and I cant tell you that modern 2D animation is dirt cheap with many day modern programs and colouring methods. If they spent half or even the quarter of the money of Disney 3D films as they did on 2D films then they could make extremely high quality material.

But user... I just did.

This isn't even impressive. Why are you posting this?

Then you're an idiot.
There are plenty of anime that aren't just battle shounen, battle stuff just tends to have higher quality animation since fighting is the focus.

Go check out Texhnolyze

I watched Texhnolyze. I'm talking about most modern anime. And I'm right. Texhnolyze is like 10 years old.

MOE BLOB AND OTAKU CULTURE KILLED ANIME.

I have come to see with eyes unclouded by hate.

>most modern anime
Immensely vague and subjective.
Like I said before, Japan pumps out a lot of shows, hundreds each year, so it only makes sense that they have a lot of subpar stuff.

Your bottom line increases every 25 minutes. Over an hour's worth of footage is a whole different ball game, especially with a screenplay in hand. People need to get paid. The 3D pipeline is expensive (for now) because of render time and plugins , either self developed or team driven, this takes group initiative a good amount of risk management due to IP and proprietary technology. These are the same pitfalls that would hinder human hands to render out so called high quality material. It's all in how its pulled off. At least until real time PBR based pipeline fall out of the big two ( Unity / Unreal) and smacks itself in the middle of pro-sumer availability, cost or learning curve wise.

Hercules is the best film of all time

>lot of subpar stuff
Like 99%. And I'm actually generous because they haven't produced anything good since The Tale of Princess Kaguya, The Wind Rises and Ping Pong: The Animation.

Too bad animation never produces anything good.

>This isn't even impressive

>yfw those jews who made a scanner darkly refuse to release the patents that let them motorscope the film.

I could see more films like beowolf becoming very feasible with that sort of 3d/2d rendering.

You're autistic if you think this shot would be better if it was animated.

Literally the only good post chuck jones cartoon is Ren and Stimpy. GTFO with your dream works Disney trash

This
It really saddens me how nowadays so few anime companies are taking risks and trying new things because they're worried it won't sell, so instead they just make "cute girls doing cute things" rubbish

That shot wouldn't look any different animated. I could be made to look a lot better though.

Berserk isn't even that good

It would.

>It could be made to look a lot better though.

Beta orbiters ruin everything by pandering to retard standards meant to draw in special snow-flakes.

I can feel the edge taking over me.

get your Cheeto stained neckbeard/co/ fingers off my arthouse you permavirgin

It's not even an impressive shot.

>weebs start posting the same 90s anime movie/OVA webms again in an animation thread

Anime is just like its fans: repetitive and stale.

>I have no idea how animation works
Whatever nigga. If its not for you, thats completely fine. But don't comment on things you clearly don't understand. Plots aside, Jin-Roh, Akira, and GiTS look nice as fuck in motion.

>Cred Forumsfags will never know the kino crossover movie that is CYBORG 009 VS DEVILMAN

please die.

youtube.com/watch?v=7TX9LfUQJUE

you are on Cred Forums, what do you expect?

here, watch this:

youtube.com/watch?v=BcSuAhbtIFg

youtu.be/nC3t51wGNRY?t=9
youtu.be/fEJgfclNTjQ?t=90
youtu.be/rtuobBa46S0?t=356

Better than posting literally nothing like cartoonfags.

those retarded outfits look worse than capeshit spandex

they look fine in black and white drawings. They just look bad in color or animated.

no, it's the style of outfits

after watchin logh. i don't think i'll ever get used to seeing these stupid outfits

>Cred Forums tries to talk about Cred Forumsnime
Better go back to GoT, guys. This is your epitome of storytelling, apparently.

Sure have high standards for someone who can't use basic grammar.

>expecting basic grammar on a mongolian basket weaving forum

Oh sorry. It looks like we can't expect the same thing from Cred Forums that we are getting on Cred Forums.

the point is anime aesthetics are shit
i don't think the japanese understand that names or outfits need to fit the context

>Judging the potential based on the avarage
You're right.
We should totally judge mid-20th century American cinema based on the hundreds of monster flicks and B-Movies that got produced by Ed Wood and the like, instead of the top 1% that is Citizen Kane and the others people rememeber

You do realize the reason why you know about shitty anime, while you don't know about all the stuff SyFy and The Asylum are churning out, is because America has a fascination with Japanese culture, so they of course focus on all sorts of things from Japan, not just the actually good stuff, right?

>i don't think the japanese understand that names or outfits need to fit the context
wiki.puella-magi.net/Deciphering_the_runes
wiki.puella-magi.net/Sayaka_Miki#Speculations_and_Observations
Because TVshit does so much better than this kind of stuff, right?

>magical schoolgirls in petticoats
lmoa

not OP but you are the retarded faggot user. Hercules is a modern Disney masterpiece. get some taste cuckboi.

Tarzan used to be my favorite. Very beautiful as well

>this Disney animated movie about Greek mythology isn't good cause it's not 100% faithful to the source material

that may be the stupidest reason for not liking a film I've ever heard. impressive stuff m8.

avatar and kora are american productions

>NEOGENESIS EVANGELION is literally the apex of the entire median.
>median

kek, u wot m8? did you mean 'medium' retard?

Fuck off Cred Forums

movie?