Are his 15 minutes almost up?

Are his 15 minutes almost up?

Other urls found in this thread:

img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-04/18/7/enhanced/webdr15/enhanced-20586-1460977847-1.png?no-auto
img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-04/18/7/enhanced/webdr15/enhanced-16825-1460977849-12.png?no-auto
img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-04/18/7/enhanced/webdr12/enhanced-25479-1460977846-19.png?no-auto
img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-04/18/7/enhanced/webdr04/enhanced-29920-1460977847-9.png?no-auto
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Almost? We've been over him for a while user.

Tonight is the key.....if he is actually funny, rather than just predictably broadwayish, then he's going to be a real force.

Who?

Lin Manuel Miranda, creator of Hamilton and In The Heights.

Nope. He's here for good.

why is he dressed like a shakespear

He's just getting started whiteboi

WE WUZ FOUNDING FATHERS N SHIT

> a shakespear

Something just looks off, seeing a Spanish guy in colonial America garb.

Like seeing an abo in a lab coat.

he Definitely is, as far as theater is concerned.......particularly minorities and teen girls that love Broadway.

But he's got to deliver tonight to transcend that.

To be fair, I think that's the point.

Hamilton is spectacular.
Well worth downloading with dubbed music.

>franchising Hamilton out to Chicago, London, then the rest of the world.
>doing Moana
>doing Mary Poppins
>doing Little Mermaid
>already writing next musical

I've got some bad news for you, user...

>are his 15 minutes almost up?
>on SNL tonight
>grammy, pulitzer, tony etc.

hes not a 15 minute person, hes already proved that

Now, picture colonial men rapping!!!

he's been around a while and he was in beginning of House season 6, in mental hospital episodes, people loved him then too.

Hamilton will make money. Those others might flop. Hamilton may be a fluke for all we know. I don't think his previous musical was nearly as well received, though to be fair, most shows aren't.

No

erm, In The Heights won the Tony for Best Musical. Literally the highest honor a Broadway show can have.

I mean, apart from the Pulitzer Prize I guess...

so what is the deal with this guy? IS his whole gimmick just rapping musicals or something?

Yeah, over some shows no one's ever heard of. They give out that award every year. Doesn't mean it's fantastic, just better than the others that year.

the real alexander hamilton would have put him in chains

His show pretty much singlehandedly save Hamilton from getting BLACKED on the 10 dollar bill.

Why are you posting in this thread if you don't know anything about theater? Isn't it embarrassing to be so pleb?

more like a chuckspear

HOW DARE THEY GET WHITE ACTORS TO PLAY EGYPTIAN CHARACTERS #ENDWHITEWASHING

HAHAHA HAVE YOU SEEN HAMILTON? I HAVE THE SOUNDTRACK ON LOOP IN MY CAR. I JUST LOVE THE FRESH URBAN TAKE ON THE FOUNDING FATHERS AND ITS SO PROGRESSIVE MAKING GEORGE WASHINGTON AND THOMAS JEFFERSON AND LITERALLY EVERY CHARACTER EXCEPT THE EVIL KING GEORGE A BLACK PERSON

Wait for it.

>King George
>Evil
it's like you haven't even heard the show. he's probably the most likeable character in the entire thing

I haven't. but that's not the point is it

One of the themes in the musical is the role that immigrants and non-whites played in the founding of America.

The theme of Gods of Egypt was probably not the importance of white people in Egyptian mythology

well he's portrayed as a jovial sap who sings Beatles-esque songs that cheer the crowd up. He's a fan favorite. Every other ethnic character has infidelities and flaws.

Plus there are white dancers and shit.

But you're missing the fundamental point that the show is about immigrants from all over the world coming together to found a country.

The show is about white people. They're all white characters played by black people.

It's about Scottish, West Indian and French people too, but they're all played by Americans.

Why aren't you getting upset about that?

the point is they turned white characters into niggers then cry when its the other way around

You're responding to more than one person here. I don't give a darn about any of this. But is is kind of strange how liberals complain about "whitewashing" when the love this show with black people playing people who were white.

t. racist

you're obviously morally compromised and can't judge the theatrical arts objectively, but let me help you out.

Minority stories require minority actors in order to fully realise the drama. Whitewashing traditionally ethnic parts, such as with Ghost in the Shell, has implications that alter the fundamentals of its story.

The narrative of Hamilton and the Founding Fathers has already been explored by white people for decades. Their whiteness is a given. A hit musical about Hamilton, 1776, is already highly revered and starred white people exclusively.

Hamilton reconsiders the role of race in the depiction of its character but in doing so strengthens the main argument: that it is, after all, a story about immigrants. It's a novel take on the story that both enhances its subject matter and doesn't take away from musicals or books or movies that have already depicted Hamilton as white.

Capiche?

15 minutes of fame refers to randos in the news and people who dont actially do shit. This guy made a super popular broadway play and earned time in the spotlight.

Asian people don't even care about the Ghost in the Shell thing. White liberals are the only ones upset by that.

How did Hamilton even catch on. The Broadway audience is 40+-year-old white people.

>Hamilton in london

That sounds incredibly retarded, only america cares about its creation myths

YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS

People can't even understand history without it having a catchy beat and hip-hop lyrics.
He should do the entire History of Western Civilization, at least then we'd educate some of the dumb-fucks that attend his shows.

>Minority stories require minority actors in order to fully realise the drama. Whitewashing traditionally ethnic parts, such as with Ghost in the Shell, has implications that alter the fundamentals of its story.

Actually, the entire point of the story is that her consciousness is completely separate from her physical appearance. It doesn't matter if her body is asian, white or a loli sex doll, she remains the same entity. One could even say she is a Ghost in the Shell. Capiche? Retard.

Then replace it with another example of whitewashing like Maria in West Side Story being played by a white woman, completely softening the entire conflict of their relationship. jfc stop being a little bitch.

>One could even say she is a Ghost in the Shell.
christ what a faggot thing to say

I don't like the whole pro-immigrant message of the musical and some of the lyrics.

>"Immigrants... we get the job done!" (pause for laughter, then funky beat break)

The Founding Fathers were immigrants yes but they were Europeans (or at least of European heritage) with IQs that had to have been in the 120 or so range. Not Mexicans or Arabs who are barely smart enough to do manual labor.

you're delusional. Your view point is as biased as the person you think of as racist. When you change something and argue its okay while other people do the same thing and argue against it because 'reasons' that is called hypocrisy.

I made that real simple for you.

>Not Mexicans or Arabs who are barely smart enough to do manual labor.

Just like most americans, mixing with poles and irish will do that to you.

Why don't people give him shit for basically passing as white? If it weren't for his shitty goatee and long hair, he wouldn't look all that "ethnic".

Wasn't the point of Hamilton that the cast was non-White?

No, no one is saying you can't cast white people to play ethnic characters. We're saying there should be a reason for changing the ethnicity that outweighs:

a) taking away an opportunity for ethnic casting that would actually be truer to the actual story

or

b) uses the change in ethnicity to make a point about the story or character.

Hamilton succeeds in both these respects. On the other hand you have, say, The Simpsons, which has a white guy doing a cliche Indian character. That's totally okay because it's funny. A white guy playing Gandhi in a movie? Also okay because he had Indian heritage. A white guy (Johnny Depp) playing an American Indian? Also okay because he got their blessing and was sympathetic to their cause.

So there are in fact lots of cases where whitewashing is totally fine. It's the artistic decisions that matter. Not the fact that you can simply change ethnicities for no reason, or worse: for box office profit, which is morally reprehensible.

I thought it was Bud Bundy at first.

they all do that user, they all use their whiteness to their advantage, then shit on it because its trendy, see all the women in hollywood, especially women like alba.

now oscar and any of the other 'ethnic' actors who aren't really all that ethnic just made to seem so they get parts

He's basically guaranteed an Oscar for Moana.

And his next project will get massive hype, whatever it is.

A) doesn't make any sense because you would still be a hypocrite because you're changing your original example because of whiteness and B) you would actually be correct but you didn't argue that before and undermines your original point.

Can't have it both way. It is either okay to do whatever you want artistically or it isn't.

You don't get to bitch about whitewashing then do whatever the fuck you want and go "Well whiteness has nothing to do with the character but you're complete raping that adaptation of that japanese anime because reasons!"

when they're basically doing the same shit

you come off as a hypocrite and then wonder why nobody takes this shit seriously. Outside of the hollywood/elitist bubble, hypocrisy is still hypocrisy.

>UH OH YOU MADE THE WRONG SUCKA A KEKOLD
TIME TO PAY THE PIPER FOR THE PANTS YOU UNBUCKLED

what did he mean by this?

How would A be changing my example.

How does B undermine my original point.

Whitwashing depends on artistic intent. That's my point. It's not forbidden either way.

I'll define this with a question, what do you consider intrinsic to GIAS(We will use the scarjo) adaptation for this question. Asian-ness, Anime, Japanese, etc.

Because the story comes from japan, comes from japanese creator etc, what is integral to that story.

>the tasteless plebs on Cred Forums can't accept that Hamilton is the defining musical of our generation

Big surprise

It sounds like you guys agree with eachother

Just in a really cunty, condescending way.

I'm not 100% on GITS as pointless whitewashing because, well, no one has seen it yet. I just threw it out there as an example.

but here's a good tweetstorm that makes me cautious (in b4 hurr durr buzzfeed. they didn't write it. they just archived it):

>img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-04/18/7/enhanced/webdr15/enhanced-20586-1460977847-1.png?no-auto

>img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-04/18/7/enhanced/webdr15/enhanced-16825-1460977849-12.png?no-auto

>img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-04/18/7/enhanced/webdr12/enhanced-25479-1460977846-19.png?no-auto

>img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2016-04/18/7/enhanced/webdr04/enhanced-29920-1460977847-9.png?no-auto

The fact that it takes place in Japan, is about humanity's relationship to technology, and has its entire style rooted in Japanese cyberpunk culture pretty much makes me think of it as a quintessentially Japanese story.

That plus Hollywood does not produce many Japenese stories so the diversity would actually be a breath of fresh air. Not only that, but this is Japan's movie too. The property means more to them than it does to us, so to have a big budget live action production of it and make it an American creative production seems like cultural robbery.

But whatever, I'm still open to the Americanised version for what it is.

England turned into an American colony dude. Look at your youth, they're emulating American culture, more precisely American nigger culture.

Just look at the irony of this, colonizing Africa, enslaving them, transporting them over to your other colonies in America, just for them to turn the tables on you a couple centuries later.

Hamilton will be a huge success in the UK.

You're severely overestimating how much the UK likes rap and US gangster culture, which is not that much.

F I F T Y O N E P A P E R S
I
F
T
Y

O
N
E

P
A
P
E
R
S

Now saying all of that, stories that come from traditionally white/western countries have minorities put into them all the time. Once Upon A Time as an example, you don't have a problem with black Lancelot though?

See when I was characterizing my point about, you're either trying to keep the original essence of the story, a character purity argument or it is open to being 'adapted' because same arguments you can make about 'whiteness' not being a core trait can be applied to any other culture. We can strip story elements from other cultures stories and make them our own regardless of race.

Epic of Gilgamesh is basis for many epic tales that translated into who knows how many different stories ultimately.

The bible is a rip off of how many different stories? People didn't even understand the concept of plagiarism until well after Herodotus. As far as we know and can prove anyway.

when I see arguments for a lack of whiteness being a 'core' trait people are arguing that story means something else than the person playing it and that can be applied to any story, literally.

We have proven that over and over again which is why we end up with classical brits playing Romans. Any trait can be replaced, any story borrowed.

Starwars, another example is heavily borrowed from Eastern ideas and stories, religion etc.

When people argue against having white people in a character slot in a story. They're implying that anyone can play it regardless of who that person is but when you do that, it is still a bias.

You're arguing power structure politics instead of arguing for or against why that person should portray that character.

Same with that recent orphan annie adaptation. Ultimately I don't care because I don't own the rights and I don't own the story, and public domain and all that. I also do not try to advocate one way and then try to say it is different for this one thing though either which is what you look like you do.

I want to read/respond to this but I literally have to head out the door soon.

I'll respond if this thread is still up in a couple of hours.

just pretend I'm sucking cocks till then or something.

>tfw Non-Stop comes on and you get hype