What's the best war movie and why is The Thin Red Line?

What's the best war movie and why is The Thin Red Line?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt0094716/
youtube.com/watch?v=R1Xu_Jni4V4
youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why is The Thin Red Line what?
Why is The Thin Red Line what?

it

> terrence mallick

hell no, the guy is such a hack. he always has good materiel/story to work with and excellent crew but all of his movies are full of pseudo intellectual religious themed verbal diarrhea

Because it cured my insomnia

2deep4u

You nailed it OP

I rewatched it again recently and it is a pretty staggering piece of work.

I love Jim Caviezel and Sean Penn's performances in it are so great. I think it's my favourite Penn performance, so much more restrained than his usual approach. I also think the Woody Harrelson death sequence is one of the most harrowing in all of film.

I think it's fascinating to watch within Malick's own filmography as well. All of his movies manage to find a way to see the world as beautiful despite being so full of cruelty and violence but I think Thin Red Line has the toughest, understandably given its subject matter, time doing that. Witt's return to that village that he envisioned as the better world is so quietly devastating as he begins to question whether Penn has been right all along. I do still think the movie finds the beauty but it is certainly not nearly as hopeful as most of Malick's films.

>could have had any actor to be the protagonist
>picks a literally who
>also cuts scenes where famous and talented actors gave their best performances
Malick is the ultimate madman. Film is still at least a 9/10. I believe Apocalypse Now is the best war film, though.
both got dubs, though

Watch your mouth. Caviezel gives one of the best performances in any Malick film. He is absolutely perfect for that role. It is impossible for me to imagine the movie without him in that role.

I don't think he was bad at all. On the contrary, the role suited him really well.
But the decision to make him the protagonist is completely against what you'd usually expect from any director with such a cast to his disposal.
Malick made a daring decision and got an incredible result.
He could have just put some A-list actor to the role, and go with it to please the crowd, but he decided not to, and to go with whatever he wanted for his own work.

Garbage film

imdb.com/title/tt0094716/

Yeah fair enough, I agree with that. I think Thin Red Line actually might be his strongest movie performance-wise. I'm sitting here thinking about this now and I'm realizing how strong a lot of performances are in Malick's movies. It kind of bums me out that his last couple of movies suggests he'll never really have an actor giving a full performance again. The impressionistic style of his last two kind of renders actors irrelevant.

I actually haven't watched any other movies by Malick. Which ones do you recomend I see next? I was looking foward to watch his 70s films...

>an amazing film was probably left on the cutting room floor and what made it to the theater was a complete mess
>the editing was so fucked there was a 30 minute documentary created called "The Editing of the 'The Thin Red Line'"
>many film critics were indifferent to it but some fanatically supported it due to cultlike status of the director
>"just watch it for the cinematography"
>Audiences left the theater confused or depressed
>/k/ dismissed it as liberal filth and propaganda impersonation a war film (similar to hurt locker).
>Most memorable scenes from the film involved birds and treetops

It is a very pretty film to look at but it isn't even close to being a top 10 war film. If you were to make an anti-war film it would be right up there with MASH, Hurt Locker, and Jarhead.

Forgot pic. I couldn't find a pic of the wounded bird scene but pic related adequately describes 80% of the movie.

Literally one of the worst films I've ever seen.

>Literally one of the worst films I've ever seen

Too edgy for me.

Only movie I ever fell asleep during.

>/k/ dismissed it as liberal filth and propaganda impersonation a war film (similar to hurt locker).

I guess we all should pay attention to what /k/ says, they're certainly an authority on cinema

that's not gettysburg

youtube.com/watch?v=R1Xu_Jni4V4

Saving Private Ryan, a bit cliche but I love it.

Joyeux Noel is pretty good too.

That's the style Cred Forums!

That's the style

Waterloo is pretty poo but the fight at the end is probably on of the best on film
youtube.com/watch?v=97dBfdNrf9A

I dunno if this counts, it's set during a war at least

more than Cred Forums, that's for sure

>civil war
>orange sash

Roundhead scum

>best war movie
>not some USSR movie about real WWII
Nah, mate.

No OP, you dumb nigger, there will never be a greater war movie than this.

Literally a "You have to be at least this tall to understand this movie" movie.

I agree.

Terrible soundtrack, too much slo-mo, every single scene with the wives was fucking awful...

but yeah it's okay.

tie between this and A Bridge Too Far

Just watched Paths of Glory the other day and I loved every minute of it. What are some other good WW1 movies that focus on trench warfare?

>Terrible soundtrack

at least it wasn't it ain't me every five minutes.

>From the makers of the holohoax comes even more ww2 propaganda

No thanks

Most WWII USSR movies are masterpieces with soul. Actors playing solders WERE in that war. Russia makes propaganda shit nowdays, but early USSR movies about WWII were true by heart.

Its hardly even a war movie. There is barely any action, just boring characters and their pseudo-intellectual musings about philosophy and war. Thin Red Line is boring as fuck and is way too artsy for its own good.

Best War movie coming through

It's not a war film, it's film set in a war. Learn the difference.

The real answer is in that poster, but not the one with the largest font.

This movie was shit after the left the beach.

You only need one ball.

>you only need one ball
pic agrees