Tfw we live in an era where avant-garde movies make it into the mainstream

>tfw we live in an era where avant-garde movies make it into the mainstream

feels good. any other movies cross this divide between commercial appeal and experimentalism?

Birdman
Boyhood
Tree of Life
Maniac
Victoria

this movie was trash

No, it was unexpectedly not trash, actually. Nice little thing, and very much by its unusual structure aka gimmick.

No it was trash

Agreed

it was trash bro

The Avengers.

No

Iron Man.

>No, it was unexpectedly not trash, actually. Nice little thing, and very much by its unusual structure aka gimmick.

Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

pleb as absolute fuck

Boyhood and Tree of Life are two big ones that I can think of, as the earlier guy mentioned. I would also say Magic Mike XXL though in a smaller way.

Deadpool.

I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER I GOT HER

Dark Knight Rises.

Captain America.

thread had potential to be decent but turned into trash thanks to contrarians and Cred Forumscksuckers

The movie really does suck ass though.

No

Care to explain why?

>Unfriended
>avant-garde

Wew, mate

>Magic Mike XXL
I thought they cleaned up cuckposting on this board

How is hating this film a pleb thing? If anything, shilling this turd movie as some high art piece makes you a pleb

>If people say mean things about you, you've already lost control of your life to them and the normal, healthy thing to do is kill yourself.

Great message movies like this teach their teenage audience.

Poor writing
Already dated framing device
Retardedly simple character stereotypes
Shit pacing
Shit acting from literal whos
Retarded premise
No established reason why none of them just turn skype off and leave
Dumbest jump scare ending ever
Autist tier jump scares
Poor grasp of how the internet even works

Its bad

>avant-garde unequivocally means "high art" and not "experimental"
damn it looks like film scholars and the dictionary were wrong all these years

Smiley.

I think you have poor reading skills. Quote me retard. What is it I said? And what about what I directly said do you disagree with? Dont speak for me r/film

>le message
Go back to facebook

>thread is about avant-garde movies with commercial appeal
>someone said it was objectively trash
>another user said he liked it
>omg you're a shill for enjoying a movie how dare you enjoy it, I'm gonna assume you magically think of it as a high art piece
don't think I missed anything

Oh, so you have poor reading skills? Gotcha. Because I'm a different user and what I said was literally that its not pleb to hate this movie and some of you are in fact shilling it as some high art film. And yes, I know the differencr between avant garde and high art, though its an autistic point, since high art is a more broader umbrella term...that avant garde films can fit under...

Are films not supposed to have messages? I dont get what your point is.

>you are in fact shilling it as some high art film
this is why Cred Forums should stay on Cred Forums

wow you're one dumb motherfucker

>Never unshares screen
>Rest of movie immersion ruined when I know everyone can read she secret messagesa

nice non-critique, autist
of all the shit you wrote here, only one is a substantial criticism (jump scares) and it's pretty fucking stupid still

Im dumb because...? What, faggot? Nothing I said was incorrect; high art is a broader umbrella term. A movie can be an avant garde film under the high art cateogory.

Are you a dumb motherfucker here?

You're a moralfag finding a 'message' on a film that doesn't have one. Films can have 'messages' sure, but few actively have one.

Poor writing, acting, framing devices and pacing arent criticisms? Are you a retard? Whats wrong with you?

Im a different user...

>Poor writing, acting, framing devices and pacing arent criticisms?
they aren't substantial criticisms, no.
how's it poorly written? how is its pacing bad?

>few movies actually have messages
This is so wrong, why does this board exist with faggots who dont know literally anything about film?

I also noticed that but it didn't prevent me from enjoying it, I think

You are asking me to flesh out criticisms, the criticisms themselves are valid. You need to be a complete retard to think criticism of a movie's writing or pacing arent valid. You are just flat out wrong.

NEVER UNSHARES SCREEN.
The movie is just full of things like that that it assumes you're too dumb to pay attention to

please stop fighting

>criticizing a movie's writing or pacing arent valid criticisms
I cant deal with how retarded this ((television and film)) board has gotten. This is genuinely a retarded thing to say.

>retardedly x
>shit x
>shit x from literal x
>retarded x
>dumbest x ever
>autist tier x
>poor grasp of x
>its bad

This is considered solid film criticism by neo-Cred Forums? Jesus Christ, this is why I stick to /lbg/ threads only.

Few films, VERY few films have active messages, you fucking daft square. It's insane that anyone would seriously argue the contrary. And even have the gall to pretend being a 'film connoisseur'. Fuck

I said they aren't substantial criticisms. Calling a movie poorly written isn't substantial. Maybe you aren't equipped to critique a simple movie like this? You seem to be having a hard time understanding what "substantial" means.

Get bent

quote the post where I've said that.you literally can't

I said it isn't substantial

I'll back up OP as well. Unfriended was surprisingly decent. Not a classic or anything but way better than expected.

>Few films, VERY few films have active messages
You are a literal retard if you believe that of the hundred years of film, of the millions of films, that only a handful have messages

Just get out already you obtuse degenerate

Cred Forums is a tough land. I unironically like it this way. Very nice :^)

You said that criticizing a movie's pacing or writing or framing decives wasnt, in and of itself, a valid criticism. You cant make the distinction between fleshing out a criticism, and stating that you have a criticism. I can go into detail on why these things were poorly executed, but you shut them down from the start...as if criticism of these aspects wasnt valid to even do in the first place. Which makes you a retard if you believe that

Nice straw man.

I said that proportionally, you infinite imbecile. Which was easily understood by anyone not brain-damaged.
Of course in absolute numbers, through more than 100 years of features, there will be lots of films with clear intentions of having a 'message'. But that's isn't the rule. Most will have a message only if somebody wants to find one there.

I was asked for general criticisms, I offered them. Then you sperged out that I didnt write ten pages for each. That doesnt make them any less valid topics of conversation you neet

Why do you keep talking when the shit you say is so clearly uninformed and wrong? Just stop. If its bait, I fell for it. You win, faggot.

>I said that proportionally
No you didnt, and that doesnt even make any sense.

OMG HE ACTUALLY CAN'T UNDERSTAND IT

>Movie x has bad pacing
unsubstantial criticism

>Movie x has bad pacing because (reasoning 1), (reasoning 2)...(reasoning m)
substantial criticism

I never said you can't criticize a movie based on this, I said that post () didn't contain substantial criticism of said elements. Calling something bad isn't criticism. Now stop replying, you fucking embryo

>avant garde

Did you just learn a new word on reddit today?

You asked for general criticisms, I gave you them. I can flesh each one out if you care to read them, faggot. But methinks you dont.

it is definitely avant garde
point me to other movies released before it that use similar structure

(u)

Just stop memeing. You have no idea what you're saying.

Yes, I actually did. I also said that brain-damaged people would fail to understand that, so there's your problem. I'm sure there's lots of things that are hard for you to understand.

> I gave you them
Nope, you didn't. I bet you couldn't explain how it has bad pacing or bad acting or how it uses an "Already dated framing device" if your life depended on it.

Quote yourself using the word "proportionally" or expressing anything you just backpeddled on

I'll wait.

Not him, but I can only recall of another short film. So, absolutely, it's very innovative for a feature to use this technique and go mainstream. Liked it very much myself, very cool.

>I bet you couldn't explain how it has bad pacing or bad acting or how it uses an "Already dated framing device" if your life depended on it.
I literally just said I could...

>no you didnt
You asked for general criticism, saying a film has bad pacing is a general criticism that needs to be fleshed...which was offered.
You are seriously just a retard. Dunning Kruger is a beautiful sort of autism.

THE BEEBIRD ON THE Cred Forums

Why are the windows so small? What sort of establishment is this place

It was implicit, it wouldn't make sense me saying that without the point being about percentages and proportions. Easily 'gettable' by anyone not stupid.

it's a slasher movie senpai. the gimmick alone elevates it slightly above your average straight-to-video dreck, but structurally it is a pretty basic slasher flick (a genre that has been deconstructed thoroughly already)

Then do it. Expand upon each """criticism" provided in

ITT: Big guys

All the chicks around are wet by now

Its still a retarded point. And since nobody can read your mind, we can only go by what you post. You never once expressed anything about proportionate numbers of films with messages

>it was implicit
>I have no idea what implicit means
Im debating with literal retards in this board, jesus fucking christ

The movie was pretty shit, but I have to admit that actually watching it on a laptop was kind of cool. It totally worked, so they get points for execution at least.

Fine, do you think I cant? Honestly?

By this point, it certainly is just bait, and yet I keep biting.
Go play in traffic if you're actually this retarded, though.

>it's a slasher movie
wtf?

It had the potential to be not-trash, but the 'actors' were godawful across the board, even by horror standards.

Of course you can't. Like almost everybody in here, you couldn't give quality, thoughtful criticism if you had a gun against your head.

Me explaining why you are a retard is not bait

How is it not( too)?

Lol you really think that dont you? Im literally typing it up now you fuck

Sure, they were at best okay, but the whole structure helped to alleviate their lack of acting range.

unfriended was literal trash.

Really liked this movie

Was great social commentary on where we are with social media/technology and how the current generation uses it

I liked everything about it. The structure is novel and interesting by itself, and also adds significantly to realism. The acting was on point: they sounded like teenagers during a Skype call and you didn't need more than this. I think people trashing this movie are usually too hung up on >muh narrative and were let down by the simplicity of it all (yes, it's a very simple yet well executed plot).

No. Bad post

Yes. Good post

>we live in an age where gen z babies unironically enjoy this garbage
no wonder why horror is a dying genre because the gen Z faggot underage shits eat it up
I'll stick to my 70's-80's horrors thanks not interested in the shit that jewllywood pushes out to the underage crowd

You dont get it man. They used facebook and we use facebook. They have skype problems, and so do we! They played songs, and WE PLAY SONGS.
It's super spooky

Writing:

The dialogue is set up like it was written by two elderly women who don't know how their teenage daughters talk. A lot of the phrasing and syntax is already out of date, it was already out of date by the time the movie hit theaters. Some of the writing just tells you shit the audience aleady knows and doesnt offer new narrative information. It just seems lacklucker.

Pacing:

The movie bombards you with visual information in the first 30 minutes (one of the drawbacks of the framing device) and it spergs around with at one hand trying to give you the info you need to keep the plot going, while on the other hand being restricted by the framing gimmick...so the travel of story informationcbecomes jarring, especially when it takes a back seat to the more conventional horror-related movie cliches it tries to latch on, especially in the junp scares..which seem out of place under the parameters they already establish for themselves

The acting:

The entire cast of literal whos can barely emote or they try too hard. The fat nerd comic relief tried too hard to be the "fat baffoon xomic relief", that his lines come out forced and the deliveries seem stale. Not to mention everyone is in their actual mid twenties trying to pass themselves off as high school kids. Sometimes characters even miss their cues, as is evident with the awkward delays in some conversations which you could sweeo under the rug as "connection" issues...but it happens so often that its hard to excuse. The final takes they get all seem like the first shot or first attempt and that they just didnt have enough time to go back and reshoot them. The facial expressions are forced as all fuck, ruining the already thin line of believability.

Want more, faggot? I actually care about film discussion

Yes, you sound very mature and wise. Faggot

>They have skype problems
GAS THE SKYPES
RACE WAR NOW

I know this is sarcastic but nonetheless doesn't turn away from the point that Gen Z is the cancer killing the horror genre.

This movie does everything unfriended did but better in every form, from the writing, to the spooks, to the acting.
If you haven't seen it it's up on netflix now and will give you a legitimate spoop much more than this trash

The horror genre is alive and quite well, contrary to the constant predictions of its death for decades.( And on a minor sphere, the always filled-with-doom-prophets threads about 'how to save horror' on this shithole)

kill yourself underage
>inb4 I'm 25+
sure you are and I'm an astronaut.

I'm up to always watch something new, and it sound interesting enough, but it's hard to go trusting the judgement of anyone who thinks a decent film is trash.

The way they use cameras in that is fucking retarded. It would have been better if it was purely her laptop screen.

No one communicates solely through FaceTime.

While a few gems have popped up recently (Baskin, The Canal, Interior, Southbound) the most of the shit pushed out now is so predictable it's almost laughable how much the genre has fallen.

>le mature 'horror buff' gets upset

>film
it's a movie
>decent
Unfriended is garbage m8 it really is, whether you want to believe it or not is your opinion which obviously you will adamantly stand behind even if I threatened your mother because whatever I say doesn't matter on the internet, but The Den is much better and should be watched since it really is a little sprinkle of original to the horror genre.
My job require me to be face to face with clients almost 24/7 so I can say that yes facetime or skype can be used solely as a means of communication.

You actually think below mediocre things like The Canal and Southbound are gems?
Wew, I better not ask you to name bad recent horrors because you would probably name something good.

>my opinion is better than yours
while you may not understand this due to your closed mindedness, Southbound and The Canal implented old horror strategies and did them effectively as opposed to Unfriended.
But again, due to closed mindedness you don't care and you never will so don't reply to me again because remember on Cred Forums:
My opinion > Yours.

>Shit acting from literal whos
That is the fucking point you faggot

>it's being bad on purpose!!!
XD epin m8e

The point of what? I can flesh it out more for you if you need it

Nah, there's the nature of >, but really, The Canal and Southbound are below mediocre fare, and yes, Unfriended is better than both, but I don't hold it as something excellent or similar high praise, it's just the difference from 4s to a 6.5.

>no its a film
>no its a movie
>no its a flick

This argument is autism. You think there is an actual differencr besides your own autistic view between a movie and a film. Films are movies, movies are films. Jesus fuck

>muh genre puritanism
>muh "old horror strategies"

go back to whatever hole you came from, you dick sucking, Carpenter loving homo

>6.5
per your rating system? because if we're going to go by ratings Unfriended is lower than both Southbound and The Canal on RT and imdb I think RT for sure, but I don't listen to rating I grew up through the 80's and 90's so I know good horror movies and originality hence why I write for a horror magazine. Unfriended is truly bad and not just for the acting.

>Carpenter is bad
man now I know why Cred Forums is the worst board here.
When will hiro just prune this place.

(You)

We've tried, but looks like this place is here to stay :/

Me again. I wanted to say Don't Breathe was quite avant-garde. We've had home invasion movies before. We've even had home invasion movies where the victim has a disability (Wait Until Dark and most recently, Hush) but I don't remember a movie where you take the side of the invaders and the victim has a disability. That pitch black scene in the basement itself was unique and well done.

>waah where's my gook to save me? these bad guys on the internetz are making me mad

neck yourself faggot
you are the cancer that killed this board

If it's so bad leave, fagboi. You'll be missed

>trust me, I lived in the 80s
>le based Carpenter can't do no wrong xD
>cancer cancer lalalala

It did it's gimmick well enough but was awful. I had a couple of good laughs watching it though.

Cool fallacies breh you sure won this argument with those hot opinions

>I grew up through the 80's and 90's so I know good horror movies and originality
>I write for a horror magazine
>you are the cancer that killed this board

>I think I'm talking to the same person
just stop

>it's not even me xD

classic

So that user is "the cancer that killed this board" because he doesn't worship mainstream embryo shit? Hmmmmmm.

So you would rather it have Chloe Moretz and Kodi Smit-McPhee because "lol literal whos xD"?

I'd like to hear what you think of Bresson casting only "literal whos".

Who?

Your average Carpenter fan, ladies and gentlemen.

>somebody who thinks Lucy and Joan of Arc are great films
lol faggot

OP is pure millenial cancer.

It isn't avant-garde. It has an experimental gimmick, but it isn't experimental. Everything beside the gimmick is painfully normal.

Why? That OP there was just a statement

>it's experimental but it's not experimental
What an experimental post.

ITS BORDERLINE EXPERIMENTAL

it's a paranormal movie

Amerifats are easily spooked and startled now in their post-9/11 entertainment hugbox where student films about ghosts in a skype call constitute as "experimental" art horror.

Lmao how the fuck did you faggots get b8ed this hard

Because you're stupid and think that all this discussion is about the semi-facetious OP

>gets baited
>no YOU are the stupid one
haha everytime

suicide squad
BvS
MoS

thanks reddit