Shogun

What are some under the radar amazing shows? Just finished this and it's absolutely must watch as far as I'm concerned. I didn't even know they made shows with this level of production quality back then.

Well you see, in those days there were like 3 major TV networks and maybe PBS in most markets and cable was just getting started so, they could afford to spend more time on mini-series events like Shogun, or Rich Man Poor Man, or North and South, or many others that actually were fantastic.

There's always Roots too, one of the best ever created (no BS, it truly is a remarkable story overall).

Nowadays with "500 channels and nothing on" quality is a rare thing indeed.

If you're into that shit read the books. Shogun is great, Noble House is ridiculous. It's one of the longest books I've ever read (1376 pages)and it takes place over like a week or two... King Rat is a good WW2 book about a Japanese Prison camp

Compared to the book the show becomes unwatchable

Clavell is trash, but he's entertaining trash, yeah.

Would've loved to have visited HK in the pre-commie days.

Why don't you like him?

I'll answer for him. Because a white man wrote modern historical asian epics better than an asian. Source: am Asian.

Under the radar now perhaps, but back then it was a big, big deal.

They're romance novels for dudes.

TFW you'll never have a monster dong like John Blackthorne.

figures, he's being a contrarian just for the sake of it

It is male romance genre though, that parts true. still good shit tho. Got me through a lot of "study halls" in HS

>I didn't even know they made shows with this level of production quality back then.

That was the point of miniseries (on American TV) back in the day. Shogun was just one of the bigger ones.

Roots was great until they got into the modern era
Then I just lost interest. Seemed anti-climactic. The struggle wained, it trickled down to name calling and societal undermining

Tai-Pan is one of my all time favorite books and while the movie wasn't as good as Shogun, it's not bad.

Tai-Pan > Shogun > Noble House > Gai-Jin > King Rat > Whirlwind

>Tai-Pan is not as good as Shogun
>Tai-Pan > Shogun

i wonder if this was the reason for 90 min episode tv shows like mccloud and mcmillan and wife in the 70s

If you want to read exotic historical adventure novels with sex, read Flashman. At least they're not filled with Mary Sue bullshit and laughable politics.

>tfw I enjoyed everything about Shogun but Blackthrone

Tai-Pan the movie isn't as good as Shogun the movie, as there is a lot more going on storywise, though they got the casting just right.

I was listing the books.

>under the radar amazing shows
Shogun was fucking huge back in the day, child.

t. Oldfag McGetoffmylawn

you should really read james clavell's novels. some of my favorite books

yea well my grandfather told me to watch/read it

doesn't mean it isn't under the radar now

>they got the casting just right

Bryan Brown's Scottish accent was fucking terrible. The look was about right, though.

>Bryan Brown's Scottish accent was fucking terrible.

Well, the character had been living in Asia for a long time...

The problem with the movie was that it was a movie, not a tv mini-series and there's just too much interesting stuff going on in the original story to do it in 2 hours (compared to the 9 hours for Shogun).

>Stephen K. Hayes
>Ashida Kim
>Frank Dux
other similar?

>under the radar
>Fucking Shogun
Shogun was fucking massive when it was on, my older sister and most of her friends had a crush on Richard Chamberlain because of it, my parents watched it, my grandparents watched it, my teachers in school talked about it. It was fucking huge. It was probably one of the most watched and talked about shows on TV at the time.

I'm absolutely baffled how you consider that under the radar.

>Shogun
>under the radar

k

the show came out 36 years ago chill out

I watched this through twice in 2013 during a dark time in life. It rekindled my love of history and my study of the east and was one of the deciding factors in me going back to university. I haven't really watched it since. I tried to get my girlfriend of 4 years to watch it with me and that was also the night I knew she was going to leave me. "How can you find any of this interesting?" she said. "Who cares about how the samurai lived?"

I love this fucking mini-series. I hope you didn't watch it with subtitles. Also, the love interest had no idea how to speak english. She recited every line purely by diction.

Oh, and there was a movie version of Noble House though it wasn't very good, even if it did try to stick to the original story.

his acting was not great

While he's a good looking guy he pretty much sucks. That and the blackthron character itself is too modern in terms of his sensibilities especially for a 16th century English pilot. Blackthorn seems to be from about at least a century later.