What are some fantasy series that deserve an HBO level adaptation?

What are some fantasy series that deserve an HBO level adaptation?

Why would you want to ruin books you enjoy?

I will always have the book, an Adaptation if done right(like GoT season one) is a good thing.

I loved the first ~50 pages of that. It got too hard to visualize what was going on in scenes a lot of the time. I should give it another try.

tfw last free company

Please no.

I honestly cannot imagine how they would do The Black Company any justice in video form, it just wouldn't work.

It's a pretty tough series to read when it comes to fantasy. Stick with it, it's good shit

no its not
malazan is "tough" (also, complete shit)

Black Company is blunt. its straight forward.
there are no mysteries, there is just a constant movement forward. thats why it works.

Zelazny's Amber. Don't see why it hasn't been adapted yet; wouldn't require a high budget, is fun and funny, nice snappy dialogue and a cool premise.

love the black company. wouldn't mind seeing a tv series based on it.

>HBO level adaptation
>niggering and fagging up Black Company so libtards won't complain
No.

The way he describes magic takes some getting used to though.

Why are you preemptively whining? You sound like a liberal

But...there are black people in the company

Why is the lazy eye touching the manlet like he's his wife?

these books are killer

>ywn never have the most powerful QT female wizard in the world take a shine to you

Does this shitshow get any better after the first book?
It all feels like tripe. The only interesting bit it watching the strategic maneuvering of the armies. I hated the way the narrative bends over backward to involve the protagonist just to keep everything in a 1st person perspective.

I really enjoyed the second but then the third got a little too psychedelic for me

>Marron Shed died a good man

i read this as a kid and honestly had no fucking idea what was going on

as that other user said it's pretty straightforward

the mages start wiggling their fingers or mumbling some shit and then magic shit happens

Sadly, this would never work in a visual format.

Mistborn, Farseer, and Gentlemen Bastards would work well as movies.

tfw u will never become an multi-dimensional god of space and time just to give your wife magic and immortality back

this book is the first time i've heard of "annals"

also I agree the style of the book can be tedious at times, but the mood and setting absolutely rocks

coolest magic I've seen in a book as well, some real crazy wizard shit rather the absolutely snooze fest of magic that Harry Potter is

>Farseer
pls no
it's too sad

fitz never catches a break

Also has tons of spin off and genre blending potential thanks to them walking in shadow

moron

The only complaints I hear about Wheel of Time is the pacing in the later books. It'd be easy to fix that writing a TV show adaptation.

black company
it's basically band of brothers with fantasy

Black Company is about Vietnam with wizards.

the Company lives forever but they cant stop dying.
its 10 books about wizard PTSD and 'what if sauron was my waifu' and then ' oh shit sauron is my waifu' and then ' oh shit this jungle a shit' and then 'fuck i did drugs but i gotta war to do'

its my favorite books

also Black Company is the books you get when you write during lunch breaks at an american car company,

The world of Naussica of the Valley of the Wind needs either a film or big-budget HBO adaptation. It even has a decent female protagonist and environmentally friendly message built in.

Nausicaa would be a fun live action maybe

A lot of WoT is the characters' introspection, especially Rand/Lews Therin/The Third Man's. Also, how do you depict channeling?

I guess just the events from the perspective of a muggle would make for an OK show but I don't see a compleat WoT TV/movie as possible.

>female protagonist

>how do you depict channeling

glowing CGI threads that transition to the physical effect when you want to show both the channeler perspective and the mundane

im sure some digitial artist can come up with something cool like modeling it after thin paper art and hindu/buddhist imagery for complex weaves

>an HBO level adaption
None of my favourite works that's for sure. I wouldn't wish HBO on my worst enemy on account of .

>benis

Hyperion would be sick if done correctly.

The Shrike would a hell of a thing.

i puored a shot but a dont remeber taking it.

lets talk about black company now cause tg is a shithole with shit janis and shit mods

Could the Shrike defeat the Straumli Perversion?

>mfw reading on iPad

gotta get a kindle.. honestly this shit sucks

any recommendation good

>any recommendation
>good

BLAKC COAMPONY

Not really a book, but there needs to be an HBO equivalent of the walking dead with an actual ending. I wanna see all the inevitable rape people would be doing instead of some horsehit governor plot line. Although knowing today's writers it'd be marred by some dumbass strong female character writing.

the main character is an old white historian who ends up fucking an immortal, nubile sorceress who always looks like she's 19.

I just got a paperwhite after my PRS-500 died in July. The dictionary feature is just great.

>implying croaker is white
>implying croaker is old at the start.
its over 30 years dude

most of the wizards and assassins are black, explicitely.
it gets shit for its racist voodoo drunk swamp wizards all the time.
thats pretty much One Eyes deal

Why does everybody jump straight to rape and other such edge when talking about a hypothetical apocalypse? People are social creatures and in a time of guns it's awfully hard for big guys for you to just throw their weight around and pick on people.

He got at least 15 years of happy marriage before molly died.

I think given the scope of the source material, they did ok. The past few seasons have been more heavy on the feminist shit though. I fucking laughed when Sansa started giving her opinion before the battle of the bastards.

>be Jon snow
>lived among wildlings and survived beyond the wall
>fought the walkers in a crazy ass battle
>came back from the fucking dead
>let me listen to the advice of my sister who has absolutely no experience in military tactics

not to mention 90% of the Company in the books of the south are now either Jungle Asian or Jungle Black.

After they get to the Plains of Glittering Stone almost none of the "original" (lol) company are left.
thats the point.
you fucking racist shits would have latched on to this theme if you could actually read.

The last episode had Sansa breaking down and apologizing to Jon for fucking up so hard at least. For a while there people seemed to think the way that she handled the situation was genuinely well done rather than borderline genocide-inducing.

That series is a feminist cesspool. Characters were great though.

Nigga, if there was rape going on during the end of WW2 what makes you think it wouldn't happen in a modern post apocalyptic setting?

for real

the original original company is literally a gang of cannibal zulu-esque mercenaries who worship a demon

As an actual feminist, I'm finding it increasingly more difficult to participate in these threads on Cred Forums due to the weeping and gnashing of teeth -- not to mention outright bigotry and cruel remarks -- from men, men's rights advocates, "red pill" misogynists, alt-right, literal neo-nazis, neckbeards, fedora-tipping mansplainers, and trolls inhabiting these threads. And no, this isn't a new thing -- this is why Alice Sheldon had to write under the pseudonym James Tiptree in order to find success. Can we just stop it, please? Can't we just discuss adaptations or potential adaptations of genre fiction without going full Donald Trump?

>That series is a feminist cesspool.
In what way? Also, Robin Hobb is a woman. It's not like she's going to write fucking Sword of Truth.

the original company was literal demons sent from hell.
they went native, started accepting humans, and their history became legend, that legend became The Annals, and the Deathsquad turned into a Mercenary Company.

Khatovar Demands Deaths.

But to even have we put her ducking input in the matter of a battle was just bad writing. GRRM is pretty liberal and beta but I doubt he would've written such trash. It's a shame he's so lazy. The books are way better.

World War 2 was a war. Wars are lots of men spending all their time around other men with nothing to do with occasional flashes of testosterone-pumping and shockingly unnatural violence. Society suddenly breaking down might be a strong immediate shock but I think that most (99.5%) people are civilized and would prefer to stay that way.

Take these and leave. We all know they're what you want, you little whore you.

Some of Sanderson's shit. His magic principles are easy as fuck to understand and would work well in a tv adaptation.

Stormlight Archive would be amazing, but I don't think it would pan out well.

His Reckoners series would, too.

Also, Mistborn.

Can't be any worse than 90% of his fucking books.

excellent contribution

>I think that most (99.5%) people are civilized and would prefer to stay that way.

Being this naive. live in a third world country and you'll see how easily people lose their civilized habits.

Science-Fiction was here.

Fantasy is a loser and should get out of the way to make room for better genres of speculative fiction.

god fucking damn i hate that mormon robot sanderson. prose like a fucking aspie

so we gonna Hyperion or wat

You have a teenager with raging hormones with massive amounts of freedom and a shredded body and you mean to tell me he's gonna stay faithful to a fucking maid? Not to mention the female soldiers too. I enjoyed it for what it was though.

ye cuz science fiction totally rocks!!xD

How many of those third world countries were first world last week?

And which countries in particular are you referring to and what practices lead you to consider them uncivilized? I think that if you were to go to Haiti or Afghanistan or Somalia you'd find that most of the people there are more or less civil and have just been fucked by awful circumstances.

And of course that's keeping in mind that different cultures have different ideas of what constitues 'civilized.'

They're the same style so I don't see why the distinction matters outside of marketing.

tfw zero-g cunnilingus with 'planck-space empathy is the truth of humanity'messiah loli

yeah, right after getting cucked by his father figure
and BOTH his dogs died ;_;

>implying men wouldn't stick together
>implying testosterone wouldn't be high
>implying they wouldn't take turns raping anything with a vagina
>implying necrophilia wouldn't be a thing

Or better yet, women fucking guys just for protection/resources.

The Black Company had the only fantasy universe I've ever come across that had a location/culture based on India.

>it's feminist propaganda because the mc doesn't cheat on his gf

most of south east asia, it was more Vietnam/Korea represented with a heavy hand of Kali towards the end.

Shit times really have changed. A woman on Cred Forums and no one is asking for tits.

I don't see it happening.

we aren't all epic oldfags like you. Millenials like myself tend to shit in fear at the thought of getting cyber-policed

The Riftwar Saga. I want to see Pug learn magic and fuck shit up.

except for the whole WHEEL OF TIME thing

Or more like the boys on here have reached a new level of thirst that they even let women on Cred Forums run wild without posting tits.

beat me to it.
Fuck live-action, GOTshit.
Get the Spawn guys on board, animate this shit, and make the Western Berserk

>women fucking guys just for protection/resources.

this already happens desu senpai

This. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, is what T.V needs right now.

Does it have sex

I like this guy, I don't care what /lit/ says

I don't know what any of this stuff is but it all looks like garbage.

This is most probably a troll, but you can't deny that GoT is buying into the social justice fad to a massive degree.

All the male leaders have been killed off or labelled 'evil', like Stannis was or the Greyjoy uncle. Now it has become a 'muh strong wimin' story, there's literally no strong male leaders left in the show, except for John Snow, and even his leadership was contested by his sister. Meanwhile you have:

Cersei
Daenerys
Margaery (till end of season)
Olenna
Ellaria
Yara

This is coming from someone who actually likes strong women characters too, I love Sigourney Weaver in the Aliens series, and Jessica Lang in American Horror Story.

Wheel of time will fail because of the shitty source material and that'll be the end for tv fantasy

>This is coming from someone who actually likes strong women

You mean woman? You can tolerate one but any more and you feel threatened

you're just looking for things to shit on there

if the writer wasn't a woman you wouldn't have blinked twice

>strong women characters

>implying most women wouldn't shrivel up and cry during moments of intense pressure or get themselves killed due to indecision

Fuck /lit/, its probably my favorite low fantasy book.

The third book was absolute trash.

The reunion between Taniel and his mute waifu (which the book had been fucking building to) was hilariously disappointing, Taniel himself does nothing but grit his teeth and clench his fists the entire book, Vlora became an unlikable bitch that would prefer that Taniel leave his tiny gf to the hounds to fuck her again and the big bad reveal was rushed.

Oh, and because the author got hit by feminists over a semi-realistic portrayal (aka no women in combat), he caved and made every other soldier a woman.

To be fair you could put virtually all of that down to lazy writing. Most of the cutting and killing of significant male characters has, to me at least, felt more like it was done out of convenience than anything else.

They had done a horrible job of portraying Stannis ambiguously so the idea of him opposing their blatantly evil goon and saving the clear good guys wouldn't have gone down smoothly. The answer of course was to just give Ramsay 10 000 horses that were apparently jammed inside that starving, snow-covered castle to annihilate his forces and remove him from the plot with virtually no significance given to him after the fact.

Dorne? The Dornish politics are probably the most nuanced in the entire series. Rather than even attempt that I think that D&D decided that it was easier to turn the kingdom in super-sentai-sisters land.

And King's Landing is the most blatant one. By killing off 90% of the King's Landing cast in one episode they were able to neatly end virtually all of the intrigue on the continent in one simple event.

And Dany of course, a story about a leader who blindly follows shallow ideals and fucks herself over by not respecting minor details is boring and slow, supergirl killing the evil slavers before heading across the sea to liberate more oppressed people is too easy.

I'm not defending the writing at all, it's awful, but I don't think that it's necessarily feminist. Just really damn lazy.

Best Served Cold is pretty much Kill Bill meets Game of Thrones

It's not low fantasy.

That sounds awful.

>you wouldn't have blinked twice

male or female unrealistic character motivations still stand out like a sore thumb. Even burrich not taking him out for a drink to get laid was odd

>Fantasy
You should drop the escapism and read some Hemingway.

>hemingway
>not pure escapism

fucking moron

Most women writers can't write men well. That's why (imo) Hobb's best work was her spin on the GoT tropes (the Liveship Traders books) since almost all of the characters that matter are chicks.

You sound like you hate fun

Is there any minimalistic fantasy? I love fantasy but these fucking guys take for ever to get to the point.

Hemingway's entire oeuvre is him trying to escape from the fact that he was a silver spoon little pussy.

It's pretty overtly feminist, have a look how the show started, with some great strong female characters (cersei, caitlin, brienne), then they've tried to cash in on the current fad by making all the leadership figures in the show female.

prince of nothing would make a good tv show i think

First Law certainly isn't, but I don't recall much magical bullshit in Best Served Cold

Well, in Hobbs case, she writes Fitz fine.

Just because he's a bit of a loyal fedora doesn't make him an invalid character.

That's because bitches ain't logical.

>Hemmingway
He realized he was a hack, when will you?

Kill Bill works because it's built on homages to existing works. Without the homage it would just be four hours of edgy people staring each other down and having over the top sword-fights.

This. Read Mishima instead. His entire oevre was how much he wanted to smash boipussi.

I love wheel of time. I'm a regular (a respected regular) on r/wot. I hope the tv show never happens because of cretins like you. The plebeian public isn't worthy of the series.

Earthsea
Conan
Black Company.
Robin Hobb
Elric/Eternal Champion

most of the 60's or 70's shit that people still talk about, that have survived the test of relevancy - that shits barebones

What about Shenkt? Vitari's husband? He literally has time powers.

It's been a long time since I read the Farseer books, but he always came across as a bloodless mope to me.

I heard on /lit/ that reading Wheel of Time literally makes you dumber and that if you read the whole thing all in one go it's hard to read anything else afterwards because your mind has been potatoed. Is that true?

Dude robin hobb goes on and on. Bitch needs a better editor

I mean, he's not Conan, but he's no Covenant.

There's nothing about Hobbs writing that I'd associate with the urban romantic fantasy drivel that is usually associated with female authors.

moron that listened to /lit/

Wheel of Time is YA fiction, but it's not bad YA fiction. Nothing wrong with a person reading it at the appropriate time in their life.

Wheel of Time isn't YA, sorry. You're wrong.

He got lust confused with love. Not only that but he was cucked, too

/lit/ is pretty lit. Better than listening to r/wot

>not bad YA fiction
this doesn't compute

>Daemon and Freedom by Daniel Suarez.

It would print so much fucking money you wouldn't even believe, someone bought the rights a few years ago but no movie in the works I don't think.

>entire scene of Brian Gragg beating the Monte Cassino server
>Roy Merritt being operator as fuck
>Razorbacks and AutoM8's wtf is this an anime how did a middle aged man write this
>for the first time in cinema an accurate hacking/computing scene

>Wheel of Time is YA fiction, but it's not bad YA fiction
But that's objectively wrong.

YA doesn't just identify content. WoT was never marketed or aimed at that market.

It was written before that market was even relevant in fantasy.

Narcissistic digestposters fuck off

feel free to fucking light yourself on fire then

>/lit/
>the best books are the hardest to read
>the harder they are to read, the better they are
>*tips*

>this doesn't compute
Something like Red Rising is pretty fun YA.

Although it's a bit rapey for YA tho. And honestly, I think at least 50% of the books quality came from a stellar audiobook performance by TGR.

It's about a pubescent kid and his buddies going on adventures. It has no "mature themes." It clearly wasn't aimed at adults.

no

Sounds like somebody's insecure

>audiobooks

It's 2016 bro, audiobooks are fine, especially for escapist genre fiction.

Besides, reading while driving is both difficult and generally frowned upon.

Why do audiobook listeners count themselves as book readers when the mental engagement isn't the same?

I saw a guy reading a book in his Tesla on September 5, 2016.

He propped the book right up on his steering wheel. This was on I-680 N in california

see. Are you even trying plebophile? What are you doing consuming escapist genre fiction in the first place?

I remember reading this series during college and thought similar. He should have at least banged that one chick that was with the puppeteers. Although fitz would've probably died of guilt lol

1. Welcome to genre fiction, fantasy especially
2. It actually was.

>What are you doing consuming escapist genre fiction in the first place?
For the same reason you don't eat a perfectly healthy and nutritious diet. For the same reason you watch TV other than academic lectures. For the same reason you're shitposting on a Hungarian Sheep Shaving board instead of bettering yourself.

It's entertainment.

When you are talking about HBO level, do you mean The Wire/Carnivale level or GoT level?

The main characters are 20 years old when it starts

If you admit you're only interested in wasting time aren't there better ways to do it? Surely listening to good music takes as little brainpower as listening to shitty literature.

How about listening to yourself

A miniseries would be dope

Why do they act like they're 12?

I can't tell myself about literature I haven't already read.

An even shittier version of The Stand?

>If you admit you're only interested in wasting time aren't there better ways to do it?
He says, posting on Cred Forums.

Also, I do listen to music I like as well. Are you so autistic that you don't understand why people do things that aren't 100% optimal or educational?

Besides, it's not like it's fantasy 24/7. I just finished Richard Porters Top Gear book, which was pretty interesting, and Venomous by Christie Wilcox.

Xanth
Drizzt
Spellsinger
Asprin's Myth

What kind of music do you like?

I was sad to learn that Frank Black will never produce solo records again and will only do Pixies music from now on.

tfw god that nerd got the crazy girl, now i remember why i loved it .

>Xanth
Ha no.

While I enjoyed up to Crewel Lye, they'd make terrible TV.

I've been listening to Dave Pike these past few days. I pretty much listen to everything, except the really out there stuff like grindcore or whatever the fuck it's called.

I think A Spell for Chameleon would make a fantastic film. I just hope Piers isn't busted before it can happen

>implying she won't leave you if a better wizard shows up or if you don't take her out to eat anymore

Hey have you ever listened to Eugene Chadbourne?

I think he's computer savvy enough to have all his shit either encrypted or deleted.

And SfC still has some weird stuff. Plus, the whole pun thing doesn't translate great to the screen.

No, I haven't.

Not a huge fan of the really improvisational stuff. Stresses me out.

Has robin Hobb written adult fantasy? I'm almost positive her stuff is YA. I'm sure if she has shed probably make all the female chars sluts and have it be totally ok in a medieval society

Why would you read for any reason other than to feel superior to people who are happier than you? Isn't that the point? Nobody actually enjoys reading.

>I'm almost positive her stuff is YA
Only if she's deliberately trying to get children to kill themselves.

But seriously, that's a bit of a ridiculous statement. You might as well ask if Lord Foul's Bane is for children.

Instead of fantasy fags arguing against sf fags you people should get together and realize that we could get a show/movie/book where we have beings existing on such high level of vibration that their technology is completely indistinguishable from magic, where thoughts, will and emotion are shaping energies into archetypes which then, as they pass through lower levels of vibrations take different forms of mathematical structures who are all connected through ratios until they come to our level of existence where they finally come into interaction with us through our minds and bodies, which are just water filled antennas for receiving various signals which we interpret as thoughts and then through will, emotional attachment and work we bring those archetypes/signal into material existence.

We would watch as those beings, both good, evil and neutral play with us, use us for their plans, test their ideas here before they bring them in their level of existence.

Like, they want to try a new system for something so they let loose their ideas here, a certain number of us accept them and those ideas here take the form of some war, or a new economic system, or a new educational system, or some other social structure, than they observe and watch how we deal with it, what need fixing etc.

And we are all arguing against each other, blaming each other when in reality we are like fish swimming in a sea made up of baits and all we need to do is not bite.

I think there's potential here for a great story.

>Lord Foul's Bane is for children
Is it? That sounds pretty childish.

That sounds like a really gay take on ideas already covered decades ago.

Where were they covered? I wanna read that.

There are plenty of guys who are ridiculously good looking and popular, yet stay faithful. It's not unrealistic.

And hardcore feminists aren't in the habit of portraying men as upstanding people.

>That sounds pretty childish.
Which is why parents pick it up for their kids at the used bookstore, then find out that it's a subversion of Tolkien with a focus on depression, obsession, isolation and self-pity starring a leprosy ridden, depressed rapist with few redeeming characteristics.

Dude, read A Deepness in the Sky.

Tales of the Dying Earth and Book of the New Sun off the top of my head. Generally of course because your thing was so weirdly specific but they're so good that everyone ITT should read them if they haven't already.

>subversion of Tolkien
I don't think the proper way to subvert Tolkien is to take generic fantasy but crank the edge up to 110%.

Huh, I bought it just last week, didn't start reading it yet, have to finish Dune first.
Thx for the recommendation, do you have anything similar to this, or Dune or Hyperion or LOTR/Silmarillion to recommend?

>I don't think the proper way to subvert Tolkien is to take generic fantasy but crank the edge up to 110%.
You really don't know what you're talking about.
Thomas Covenant isn't edgy. He's both pitiable and infuriating. He's not an evil man, just a pathetic one. The Tolkien subversion isn't really a subversion. It's mostly just a few parallels, but the themes are so drastically different while the worlds are superficially similar.

Thx for the recommendations.

That's nothing like either of the novels you recommended. You're recommending them just because you like them and they're some of the few SF novels being appropriated by the literary crowd.

You can stop acting pretentious now.

Marooned in Realtime is also great if you like Vinge. A Fire Upon the Deep, of course, though it isn't necessary reading to understand Deepness. Outside of that, you might try The Boat of a Million Years by Poul Anderson, that's an underrated book.

They both have magical elements that are implied to be some kind of poorly understood science.

But I'm willing to bet that more often than not, those guys have had their fair share of pussy before settling down.

Thx.

It wouldn't make a good live action show but I'd love to see an animated version. The feminists would lose their shit

no. dune was a extremelly hard adaption.
And they fucked up.
Hyperion tops that by a mile.

> star of david in a fictional world that has no relationship with Earth

How to tell you have a garbage series in your hands before you even buy it.

Americans can't write genre fiction for shit, jesus christ

this again?
Varys
Uncle Lannister
sparrow
to name just the first three that are coming to my mind.
you have:
>cersei
bad shit insane villain, who will be dead by the end of the next season. Also her position is weak as fuck now.
>Daenerys
"main" hero since her first chapter in agot
>margeary
did almost nothing.
>grandma tyrell
she is "good" at her job. almost as good as varys.
>Ellaria
sand snakes were butchered to no end. Nobody, not even american feminists ,like the characters.
>asha
here role as a female heir was also important in the books. She failed and has almost no power now.

That's a pentagram you retard. The Star f David has six points, there's literally an image of it under op to compare. Also people draw from the real to shape their fantastical world.

This. I remember a line from chameleon it was something like "all women are the Same in the inside only their bodies and talents are different." It'd never get made by any of the studios though.

I would love to see a HBO adaption of Mistborn.

But what I really want is a grimdark HBO adaption of the First Law trilogy.

>click, tap, pain

you'd need a jodorowsky-tier madman who wasn't an actual madman to pull it off

>makes you dumber
>literally on their wiki
>Their wiki which they take very seriously

no really have you not seen the autistic nature of getting onto the rec list

Do they? I mean sure they don't go all business about solving their problems but it's laughable to think that the vast majority of people on this earth would act mature if suddenly thrown into great importance after having a dull ordinary life.

Plus Perin's whole thing was that he was always acting too mature.