I just watched The Force Awakens (because I don't live and breath on Star Wars...

I just watched The Force Awakens (because I don't live and breath on Star Wars, and i had no interest in seeing it in cinemas).

As a casual viewer who has watched all 6 previous movies, I still hold 1-3 up as better movies than 7 was.

Each and every one of them was better than The Force Awakens. Even fucking Phantom Menace.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qEx1wj62BpU
youtube.com/watch?v=GTyLvY3FX_s
youtube.com/watch?v=KWSsjhHA0IM
youtube.com/watch?v=YZ_j3s5xj8I
youtube.com/watch?v=qzVBqBosf5w
youtube.com/watch?v=8kpHK4YIwY4
youtube.com/watch?v=aFOo86PDDuE
youtube.com/watch?v=LfUQrCeNm7k
youtube.com/watch?v=3S2zsCaOOmE
youtube.com/watch?v=YmiZ_SCFYHw&index=2&list=PLHdQkrmwPXXpcaG1VymzHFtDntee7ndyd
youtube.com/watch?v=maZvDam1WgE&list=PLHdQkrmwPXXpcaG1VymzHFtDntee7ndyd&index=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i agree. at least George tried to tell a story (but failed hard)

Yes, George fucked the goat thoroughly in an almost insane amount of ways.

But at least he fucking TRIED something different.

I swear, the dumbest thing I could have done was watch 4-6 right before this movie, because I could practically compare 4 and 7 scene by scene.

George made a lot of mistakes with Phantom, but at least it wasn't the same god damn movie.

Okay. Consider watching it again and see it you have the same opinion.

I hated TFA when I saw it for the first time, but liked it much more on second viewing. I'd say it's on the same level as capeshit, though better than all of them except Spider-Man 2 and of course, the Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises.

Comparing it to the prequels is very difficult, as I haven't completely settled my opinion on them. I would say, however, TFA accomplished what it set out to do much better.

Maybe, and like I confessed in OP, I'm not a die-hard fan of this series, so maybe I'm just not as emotionally invested as others are.

And I agree that 7 might have come closer to achieving what it was going for than, for example, 1.

But at least 1 had some god damn identity. It wasn't an incredibly GOOD identity, but it was AN identity.

7 just felt like 4 and nothing fucking else.

When they wheeled out the Death Star 3.0 I was downright annoyed.

pretty much.

Prequels are simply bad movies.

TFA is not even a movie in a complete sense of the word, it's some kind of machine output

regardless of initial ambition, 7 is a much better movie in every single way than the prequels. It doesn't really matter what George set out to do if he failed miserably at achieving it

And I think the point I was trying to make in OP was that I prefer the prequels, because I'd take George trying and failing, over Hollywood Algorithm: Skynet Edition conjures up.

it's a corporate product that sells you nostalgia

>When they wheeled out the Death Star 3.0
I was downright annoyed when they had the protagonist on a desert planet, having a droid as a Macguffin, having them escape the droid planet chased by the enemies in the Falcon, etc.

I was especially mad when I watched in a theater, expecting something incredible when the reviews were so high, and just becoming progressively more annoyed the more I realized how unambitious and derivative the movie was, in which in every way it deviated from Episode IV, it made the movie worse, and imitated Episode IV in illogical ways.

I think I would have appreciated and liked it much more if I didn't come in with any expectations, or critics actually did their job instead of rate a movie based on hype.

That's kinda' my point though. At least George set out to do SOMETHING.

TFA is just 4 all over again for no rhymeor reason.

I'd rather watch this weird experimental crap than cut-and-paste Hollywood crap.

This guy shits all over Maz

I think George said it himself in some interview I said on TV a while back, Hollywood doesn't want to take risks.

And this has got to be the fucking safest Star Wars movie I have ever seen.

Say what you want about senate meeting #19056 from episode 3. But at least it wasn't just "whatever episode 6 did around this point".

I kinda' liked the senate meetings. They gave an insight into the (wonky) politics the universe applied to.

You consider 7 a good movie because that's how it was made to be.

A basic Hollywood action adventure movie which is well made.

Yes the prequels weren't that well made but what makes them different and more unique is that they are entirely different whereas JJ was too afraid to do anything new.

No doubt: if TFA was completely different or they had gone with the original plot (Rey and Luke searching for ancient relics together on many planets) then a lot of people would have declared it "crap" because they wouldn't be able to relate it to their nostalgia.

Nostalgia sells

The visual image of Galactic Senate is god-tier.

In fact most of visual faggotry in prequels is absolutely gorgeous.

youtube.com/watch?v=qEx1wj62BpU

I thought TFA was alright. Hated it when I started watching, but after like 10-20 minutes I started to enjoy it.

But at the end of the day I think I'd rather rewatch the prequels than TFA. They have some heart to it that TFA completely lacks.

And I've never really disliked them all that much since I never gave a shit about Star Wars when everyone was raging about how shit they were.

Kingdom of the Crystall Skyll is a way better movie than TFA in my opinion. And I liked the Alien idea because it was very new and something that you wouldn't have expected. I just wish they didn't have CGI monkeys and lessoned on the green screen.

>I was especially mad when I watched in a theater, expecting something incredible when the reviews were so high, and just becoming progressively more annoyed the more I realized how unambitious and derivative the movie was

this desu. it was pretty heartbreaking.

I was expecting
>shitty story
>new planets
>new tech
>NEW crazy stuff

I got
>X-Wings
>TIE-Figthers

fuck that shit, I'm not THAT attached to fucking X-Wings and TIE-Fighters, give me something.

Ah see, you found it! I knew it wasn't that long ago! Neat user.

And they had top tier sound design.

Almost the same as The Hobbit, where the weakest parts were the script and too much CGI but the other parts showed a lot of love and passion that makes you feel a bit bad that everything turned out like it did.

Finn was the true heart of Force Awakens to me.

His opening scene was well done even though he didn't get much character development and simply became good in such a short time. Still he at least felt like something "fresh".

It really is! I think were clever in going to as many planets as possible as to show off as much of the universe as they could get away with.

>Almost the same as The Hobbit
The prequels are a million times better than the Hobbit because all the CGI scenes (even though AoTC hasn't aged well) actually served a purpose.

Jackson's CGI most of the time served no purpose to the story

>Legolas flying and floating around in the sky behind a green screen

When I was watching Episode II,

I literally did not know what to expect. It was crazy. Each new scene and location was insane (both visually and from storytelling point of view).

It was stupid, but it was fucking ride.

Not gonna lie, I did like him a lot more than I thought I would.

He's still a offensively ugly looking actor though.

>They have some heart to it that TFA completely lacks.

Agreed. George may be a mongoloid, but at least he did what HE wanted. Not what some megalithic soul-eating industry forced him to do to see as high profit as possible.

>I think George said it himself in some interview I said on TV a while back, Hollywood doesn't want to take risks.
This clip was featured prominently in Plinkett's review of TFA. I think this view is overstated, especially with movies like Nolan's.

I think it's unfortunate that we had something as awful as Phantom Menace taking horrendous choices at almost every step, and it made boatloads of money.

No matter what they did with this movie, there was no risk of flopping, only not sufficiently capitalizing on the opportunity, though that's not an excuse for aping so many elements from Episode IV, when it comes across like it goes beyond homages or pleasing the fans and ripping off elements because they worked before and coming up with original ideas is difficult.

>And this has got to be the fucking safest Star Wars movie I have ever seen.
Nobody would deny that.

>I kinda' liked the senate meetings.
I did not. They weren't smart enough to be interesting from a political perspective. I would say it ruined the pacing, but if it's that or people standing in a room talking, I would prefer the meetings.

I recommend watching Children of Dune and the 2000 Dune mini series user.

It has an Attack of the Clones feel

That's the thing.

I don't mind Rey or Finn. I think they are fine new characters.

But the oh-hey-we-are-best-friends-with-Han-Solo wank got out of hand

I think the light saber fights were done better in 1-3.

These are suppose to be battles between clairvoyant space wizards. Of course they fights will looks well choreographed when you fucking know where your ally/enemy will be a few seconds ahead of time.

Le "I just watched Star Wars TFA" may-may

>I think this view is overstated, especially with movies like Nolan's.
Which are quite rare and one of the few cases where a guy has artistic control over a product. Just like Seth Rogen. Both are well-known and respected names in the industry now, they are safe.
But that doesn't mean Lucas' view is false or so, even though you did not imply so anyways. It just is hard to get through Hollywood and really have creative control over a product, or produce a movie that will the studio actually is behind in marketing.
There are not very actual unique movies out there that aren't remakes or sequels or adaptions for this very reason. Hollywood is now safer than ever.

this is super weird, user. Just finished reading the book, and found out about those series. was going to watch them.

thanks for the reminder, I shall do that

The miniseries is fucking GOAT.

>watched very popular movie recently
>confesses that he didn't watch it earlier because he wasn't that into it
>wants to talk about it compared to the latest movies

You know, it never even occurred to me how even even the designs were derivative, possibly the most derivative in the movie. This actually has some plausibility, as the aesthetics might not have changed that much in 30 years, (much like real life), but it's just one more way they took a short-cut with the rationalization of muh homage, and muh nostalgia.

Jedis were knights, no anime characters. They don't have the fucking sharingan nor they are spiderman. PT jedis are just dumb.

Interviewer:
>"What if someone else beside you came to you and said "I wanna make Episode 7". Could you see that happening?

Lucas
>"No. There is no Episode 7."

Interviewer
>"Even for someone else to come up with?"

Lucas
>'Well there's possibility that there may be another off shoot movie somewhere about an off shoot character in that world... but not about Luke Skywalker. Not about that group of people and that struggle to bring democracy back to the galaxy".

youtube.com/watch?v=GTyLvY3FX_s

I'm not so sure I agree. I'd say their bad use of CGI are about equal.

I mean, it would be pretty hard to stage a fight in a collapsing tower on set.

I was really shocked when Episode I came out and it had no tech from OT.

However, it expanded the definition of what "Star Wars" is. It went beyond the
>star wars is stormtroopers
>and death star
meme.

But now we are back to square 1.

Jedi can reflect incoming laser-fire with an inch-thick sword.

It is literally explained that during combat, Jedi see clear visions of what's to come and where it will come from, thus why they're able to essentially swat flies with a toothpick 100% of the time.

It makes perfect sense that their moves would look overly complicated.

But the level of risk involved on Disney's part was almost nothing, so it becomes less defensible that they went with this level of safety. They could have exploited this and made a truly bold and incredible movie while being perfectly accessible to all audiences. We'll never know the details, but maybe they rushed the project, which was partially why Jurassic World was so derivative.

youtube.com/watch?v=KWSsjhHA0IM

Hamill:
>"Let's all repeat the mantra "It's only a movie!" And if you think you're gonna go into the movie and recapture your childhood, you're setting yourself up for a disappointment."

Interviewer
>"You have definitely got the best role in this film"

Hamill
>"You think? Top that entrance."

BASED HAMILL!!

I love him giving the wink, basically to Disney by saying "OOHH I ALMOST GAVE AWAY THE SPOILER THAT I AM ONLY IN THE FILM FOR 30 SECONDS."

The movies are movies first though.

Most saber fights in the prequels were a lot more exciting than the 4-6 and TFA.

It doesn't exactly scream excitement when two elderly people stand still in one spot slowly moving a sword up and down a bit like they are two kids with sticks.

yeah, it's weird. they could've done ANYTHING.
it still would've been well-received.
but they made THIS.

Phantom Menace is the best of the Prequel films, correct?

It also makes perfect sense for them to be able to fly and breath some kind of fire, that wouldn't make it any less dumb.

In the end the concept of kendo-like swordfighting was scrapped in favor of some dumb, anime-like fighting style and that was an overtly bad decision. Overpowering them made them more like superheroes and less like actual knights.

They went in a little heavy on the Axis-imagery for my taste.

It's exactly the same plot in force awakens like a new hope

No, fuck off. Jedi were always portrayed as space ninja paladin wizards who wore light robes for flexible movement.

Like said, there exists no reason to make swords that ARE MADE OUT OF FUCKING LIGHT swing and feel like they're claymores.

>Most saber fights in the prequels were a lot more exciting than the 4-6 and TFA.

But that's not true

See minute 1:05
youtube.com/watch?v=YZ_j3s5xj8I
That's exciting.

PT duels are just boring. I don't get any emotion nor excitement at all by watching two anime characters I don't even care about fighting and doing dumb movements. It might look good, but it's not exciting at all.

Luke going all savage after Vader threats his sister and destroying him is actually exciting.

FUCK EVERYONE

>The opening fun killing spree scene

>The beautiful locations of Naboo

>The Gungan palace (ignore Jar Jar, but the design of the Gungan city was something very unique and new in a SW film)

>Tatooine: The podracing scene, the Anakin scene when he says goodbye to his mother (call me a pleb but I actually find this scene emotional. It is one of the only scenes where the actor who plays young Annie actually delivers a decently good performance. "Will I ever see you again"? It gets more emotional when you watch this and AoTC back to back with the scene when he finds his dying mother.

I shall take this point to remind you that Sith use hate to shoot lightning out their fingers

also force users can jump extremely high distances because force power, like flying

quick question: is Force Push/Pull featured in New Hope at all?

This, but at least it's memorable.

>wore light robes for flexible movement.
Fuck off with your KOTOR lore

Jedis didn't wear light robes for shit. Kenobi wore them because he was hiding, Yoda wore them because he was a fucking hermit in the middle of nowhere. Luke on the other hand is dressed as a normal guy after he becomes a Jedi.

And I don't mean they should feel heavy or whatever, I mean they used to fight like kendo samurais. The timing was completely different and they could build some tension in those duels. That anime style is completely bland and in the end the duels lack any kind of emotion whatsoever

What makes Phantom Menace feel more like a SW film is its use of practicals. Some of the shots have aged really well

In my opinion, Ren was the only cool thing about TFA.

Everything else in the movie was mediocre, but this one character was unarguably good.

Where they take this character will determine if this new trilogy turns out good or not.

For 1999, this doesn't look so bad

>inb4 someone posts Jar Jar
It was 1999... remember that Jar Jar helped spawn the early stages of motion track CGI

No.

You know what no one ever talks about when they talk about the prequels?

I am completely serious when I say that Williams has probably never done a score as good as he did for these films.

7 had nothing even CLOSE to as memorable as this.

That's my poing tho

It makes sense lorewise, it doesn't mean it would be good from a cinematography point of view

>meanwhile in A New Hope
youtube.com/watch?v=8kpHK4YIwY4

>I am completely serious when I say that Williams has probably never done a score as good as he did for these films.
I don't agree. The scores for the OT were far superior, though Duel of the Fates and Across the Stars rank among his best works.

Empire in OT (and somewhat in PT) had multiple influences.

The officers were all Brits for that colonial feel. They were guards and rituals resembling roman empire. And of-course the Axis.

TFA just went "space hitler" literally. It's a downgrade.

It's going to be a tedious next 150 years.

It's a shame that the editing of TFA is atrocious. Every scene feels so rushed and fast paced.

>Kylo puts his helmet down on a tray among dead ash of people who he has killed
Why didn't JJ explain this?

So much information you just don't understand unless you read the Force Awakens novel, play the Lego game which has some extra info etc.

But I agree: I love Kylo as a character. Just a shame the editing for this film was so bad.

Yes, what a vast amount of heavy armor there is on display here.

They were all robed, and they were all about quick and visceral fighting which provided much more interesting and unique fights than the stupid, slow shit they had in 4-6.

>Spend 3 Billion USD
>Hurr there's no risk

mmm k.

thanks.

Then I see a clear progression of Kendo->Anime going on in OT too.

Luke started doing somersaults as early as ESB.

Natural progression of Lucas faggotry.

Also those two people in the picture are Grant and Tory from Mythbusters if anyone didn't already know.

>Kylo puts his helmet down on a tray among dead ash of people who he has killed
That's what it was? Fuck, I thought it was Vader's ashes, as little sense as that makes.

I am completely serious when I say that shit is boring as fuck to me.

This doesn't look like two super-wizards going at each other with future-space-swords.

This looks like two amateurs who don't know what the fuck they're doing at all.

It might be more realistic, but it certainly isn't visually interesting.

KOTOR is still better than prequels or Force Awakens

user, don't be retarded.

Fuck, ment for

I hated every second of him.

Why have a classical villain if he is in no way shape or form threatening?

I hope he goes good in film 2 or else they royally fucked up.

sorry dude trips confirm
OT duels > PT duels

try again next time

Why would you cut this scene out?

>Kylo seeing the rebels appearing
>Cut to the next shot of rebels flying down to the base
It's perfect. Not to mention that Kylo's head matches exactly among the point of view of the incoming ships when the next frame appears (because the original cut of Force Awakens had this scene in).

Best Star Wars song:
youtube.com/watch?v=aFOo86PDDuE

The problem is you might've grown with the prequel concept of jedis

They're not super-wizards, they're wise knights m8. Once you get that it might start growing on you.

Or maybe not and you just like space superheroes better, and that's fine, but you should know jedis weren't that in the first place, that's a PT concept. Even in the Expanded Universe they were more grounded before the 2000's

I may have come across a little strong with "his best score", but can you mentioned any single track from TFA that is on this level?

Hell I can't even recall a track from the movie at all, much less a GOOD track.

I remember Ray's theme being a good? I think?

>I thought it was Vader's ashes
That would have been cool also. You see? This film has so many scenes that have so much context left unexplained.

Rey
>"How did you get Luke's Lightsaber?"

Maz
>"That is another question for another time."
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Also: since when does touching a lightsaber give you a vision of the past?

There was 0% chance this movie wouldn't print money.

0%.

>Where they take this character will determine if this new trilogy turns out good or not.

I agree with this. If he turns out to be a lame villain just to make MaRey Sue look good or some other dumb reason, it will retroactively make VII suck more, but if his character actually goes somewhere, it will make it better on rewatching.

>any single track from TFA that is on this level?
Of course not. I enjoyed the Rey's theme from TFA, but the score as a whole made very little impact.

This.

Turning your brain off sells.

I want everyone to take a moment and appreciate what this user is saying.

Also VERY BAD MIX OF OPENING CRAWL in TFA, with fucked up arrangement, and not even done by London Symphony Orchestra, like usually.

OST for TFA was phoned in. Not one memorable piece. That's truly amazing in a bad way. I love Williams. Sad.

Gotta have more time to cut in copy paste scenes from IV.

I repeat, Ben was dressed just like uncle Owen. He was hiding so he dressed like the locals with those desert robes.
Joda was dressed like a homeless man.
Luke was dressed like a normal "Star Wars" guy. No robes, just that suit he had.

And that's it, there were no more jedis.

Yeah, he either needs to go good, in which case Ray needs to go bad.

Or he needs to have a fucking stupidly good character-shift. Which we all know won't happen.

>reminder that PoTC 4 made over $1 billion at the box office
this is the audience of the normies

>I remember Ray's theme being a good? I think?

Correct. We got about 20 to 40 seconds above average there.

You gotta maximise them profits though. They would have bought the IP knowing exactly what they wanted to do with it and how much money they could reasonably expect to make. This would have been communicated to their shareholder. If they pushed out something avant-garde that flopped and delivered sub-par results people would lose jobs.

ur a fag

>QUICK WE GOTTA DEACTIVATE THE SHIELDS AND SHOOT AT STARKILLER BASE SO WE CAN DESTROY IT"
hmmmmmmmmmmm seems familiar...

Agree with those anons.

If they play it up, they can have something. If the dynamic stays the same, that'll make TFA even worse.

I quite liked it.

Well, as much as I liked 3, which wasn't a huge deal I grant you, but I don't get why this is the black sheep of the series when it's around the same quality as 3.

God that movie was cancer to watch. I never thought I'd fucking miss Will Turner and his forced romance with what's-her-name.

>can't even recall a track
What about this masterpiece?
youtube.com/watch?v=LfUQrCeNm7k

Here's the reason it's the best one of the PT:

>Well, as much as I liked 3
3 was a massive disappointment for me. 2nd is the best. 1st is second best.

>Shaky cam
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I fully agree. But people like seem to single it out while nobody ever mentions how disappointing 3 is.

>What's going on here... HELLO!? JJ What are you doing?

I think what user was trying to say is that it didn't matter.

There's no such thing as "word of mouth" in normie-land. If it's a sequel to a popular franchise, it gets it's views.

So you can do whatever you want in those movies (case in point: Transformers), they would still print money.

God, I mean, I hate JJ with all fibers of my soul. And yet I went to the premier like a good little pleb I am.

We Battlestar Galactica now.

Except there totally were, in the prequels. You know, the officially canon material.

>First 5 minutes of the movie.
>It's shot like a typical JJ-movie.
>Shakey cam
>Lens flare

>yfw

Would have have been the editing in the cut? A big abrupt.

This scene is a little jarring with the pace of the movie, but possibly a different script or cut would have made it appropriate.

Am I the only one who could appreciate both?

I grew up with OT, but PT duels were fun to watch.

Duel of the Fates is top-tier duel even if it doesn't match the OT.

>There's no such thing as "word of mouth" in normie-land.
This is probably important for the film to have legs.

and I also really really like that moment when
>force field comes up
>darth maul is angsty
>obi-wan meditates

it's simple and maybe dumb, but it's great "show-don't-tell" character development.

I'll make it simple.

Look here. Owen and non-jedi Luke. Dressed like fucking Qui-Gonn. Or more like, dressed like people who lives in the desert.
Just like Ben Kenobi who was, in fact, in hiding... so yeah, he wouldn't dress like a jedi I guess.

Now if I only could I'd upload a pic of Luke in Ep. VI but you know how he was dressed. That's 3 jedis we see in the PT, one dressed like a normal guy from tatooine (Ben), one dressed like a complete normal guy (Luke), and one dressed like a homeless man (Yoda)

Of course in the prequels they came up with those stupid robes and that's what I'm critizicing, we wouldn't be talking about this if they didn't

>This scene is a little jarring with the pace of the movie
The fast pace of TFA is fucking horrible

>action scene after action scene
if you defend this then you have such bad fucking taste

so tell me how much standing POTC4 had?

I mean, what you say is rational, but I just don't see it.

I have a question for the SW-lorefags ITT.

If the Empire was defeated by Luke and Vader in the end of 6, how did anyone allow this New Order to rise?

How the fuck did the entire galaxy turn a blind eye to them building a cosmic multi-plane-kill-star with a stupider name?

Can you really build something like this after the evil galactic Empire's biggest threat to the free universe was a DEATH STAR?

Wouldn't people in charge of things be making certain that small terrorist-cells (or whatever the New Order was) couldn't build shit like this?

I wasn't defending anything, only it's jarring within the context of the movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=3S2zsCaOOmE

Oh come on George Lucas set out to make as much money as possible just like TFA did. He tried to pander to his audience too but difference is he failed on a critical level

>mfw the Phantom Menace has more practicals than TFA

in the original EU, there were many "Remnants", basically pockets of imperial military power, with war-lords and what not.

in the new EU, there's a much more convoluted explanation, like they allowed those "terrorist cells" to thrive because muh liberalism or something.

Newlorefags pls help

Nah. The only prequel that stands a chance in rivaling 7 is 3.

1 and 2 were definitely worse.

You would know this if you were a true Star Wars fan.

But you're dancing around the facts.

The fact is that 1-3 portray hundreds if not thousands of Jedi. All wearing robes. All armored for light, quick, combat.

And all of this is official canon from the original creator of the series.

You can say that it's stupid, and maybe it even is, but that doesn't change the facts.

Luke dressed like a normal guy because Luke didn't know that the robes were the "correct" gear for Jedi. He probably, like you, just assumed Ben was a fan of robes because he lived on a desert planet. What he didn't know was that Ben wore those robes because it was the traditional Jedi-clothing.

As. Confirmed. By. Canon.

Imagine if a scrappy rebel force shot Kim Jong Un for example.

There are still thousands and thousands of officers, officials, solders and citizens who are loyal to the old regime or want to seize power by themselves. Just because the leader is dead doesn't mean everyone just throws down their weapons and gives up.

I guess it was a different time. People do enjoy the Transformers films, though, so that's not a proper comparison.

>people think the Jedi robes were bad
Are you serious? They look so freakin neat

It's also become so memorable

But isn't that kinda' what happened though? That the Republic took back control when the Empire took a deep wound from the death of the Emperor.

Hell, as it was portrayed in episode 2 (or was it 3?) the Emperor was given full control over the clones. Which have to be a good chunk of the Empire's army. So when he died, that entire branch of their military essentially did what? Disbandon?

BTW, I have a feeling George wasn't too fond of remnants idea.

Like here
>Lucas
>>'Well there's possibility that there may be another off shoot movie somewhere about an off shoot character in that world... but not about Luke Skywalker. Not about that group of people and that struggle to bring democracy back to the galaxy".

And also the inclusion of the statue-toppling scene in the ROTJ special edition.

I don't want to argue how logical that is from a real-world viewpoint, but I feel the message there was

>YES, THEY WON
>EMPIRE IS DEFEATED

You aren't very bright are you?

The entire damn point in he was trying to say was that BEFORE THE PREQUELS Jedi weren't robe wearing ninjas. They just had normal clothing that happened to be robes.

>I don't like these things about the PT
>But they're canon
>Yeah but those concept are stupid. Jedis are less grounded and duels lack any emotion, I think it's a shame they scrapped the original concept of what jedis were
>But the prequels are canon shut up
>Yes, yes, I know, but we're talking about this topic so I'm sharing my opinion, that's what this thread is about. Can we please have a normal conv-
>No shut up PT are canon

Literally this thread

Jedi are humble. It's in their very code. It would only make sense for them to wear robes that look much like what a poor person or farmer somewhere would also be wearing.

what am I reading?

do you hate the robes? you want jedi to be knights? like samurai maybe? it meshes

what's your problem?

Wow, why doesn't Hamelin tell us what he really thinks?

Yeah, but you don't replace a galaxy sized government of facists in a day.

>PT duels are stupid
no problem here, valid opinion
>Robes are stupid as Jedi attire
why????

It might shock you whenever you see a samurai armor and a kendo fight. You might think you're crazy for remembering Vader. Don't panic, it's actually meant to look pretty much like it.

Which is funny because the Jedi's in 1-3 were some of the most proud and elitist fuckers I've ever seen.

>BEFORE THE PREQUELS

But the prequels are canon. Meaning that you, and him, can ignore them as much as you want but that doesn't make them any less relevant to the universe than 4-6 do.

4-6 portrays them like that because there wasn't a fucking order around training them to be magic ninjas.

4-6 portrays them as very basic warriors because the few that remained were old and frail and didn't have that much time to teach the only new one how shit USED to be done.

Maybe if they'd trained him from youth into adulthood they Ben could have dropped a line like "Oh, and our traditional garments are robes, get some of that shit.". But guess what? That sand-whitey had a very limited training time with Luke.

I remember newlore had a very specific explanation. It might or might not factor what you consider "realistic".

/r/equesting newlorefags to provide said explanation

True, but you might be able to over 10 fucking years, right? 20?

I don't know if they ever mentioned how long this is suppose to be after the end of 6, but it's apparently long enough for Luke to turn to a myth.

Not all of them.
Qui-Gon was very much what "the" perfect jedi should have been at the time I think.

But you are right, some of the upper ones were elitist fucks.

my image of samurai comes from popular culture, and it's robes.

but I see your point, thanks.

>why????
Not him, but if you had to go into battle, what would you rather choose, a cumbersome bathrobe that flapped everywhere or a well fitted body armor with lots of pockets?

Knights went into battle in some of the most expensive and protective armor of it's day. Not dressed like farmers.

Star Wars Knights of the Fallen Empire has some nice tier music

youtube.com/watch?v=YmiZ_SCFYHw&index=2&list=PLHdQkrmwPXXpcaG1VymzHFtDntee7ndyd

no, you're in the wrong here.

I enjoy the prequels. And still I see a huge tone and lore shift, making it very easy to imagine OT as a separate universe with it's own rules.

Take out the terrible acting by Christensen and the prequel trilogy is actually as watchable as the original trilogy.

I'm never impressed by the star wars films. I think it's a great universe but it's butchered by the films and put to better use in any other media.

Star Wars Knights of the Fallen Empire has some nice tier music too

youtube.com/watch?v=maZvDam1WgE&list=PLHdQkrmwPXXpcaG1VymzHFtDntee7ndyd&index=1

I always tought samurai wore robes because normal people in old Japan did, and on the other hand whenever they had a real fight battle they wore those armors.
But I know shit about that topic so I might be wrong.

APOLOGIZE

Darth Maul is my favorite star wars character. He will never get a good movie. I'll be happy with a short film.

That has nothing to do with things.

The original comment was:
>No, fuck off. Jedi were always portrayed as space ninja paladin wizards who wore light robes for flexible movement.

But they weren't, because we never saw how the actual Jedi's dressed like before because every jedi we saw just wore what is essentially jeans and t-shirt.

After the prequels they became light robe wearing ninjas. But they weren't ALWAYS.

I absolutely hated this moment in the movie. Not the actor's speech (that was fucking amazing and perfect) BUT the after speech moment when all the stormtroopers raise their fist in the air (basically being like Nazis with a "HEIL HITLER")

BRAVO JJ

dubs confirm
JJ is subtle storyteller

Alright how can Maul be anyone's favorite character when he had no character at all in the first place

Are we talking about EU or what

I dunno I really digged Grevious, and he barely was a character either.

The greatest scene from the Force Awakens

Was it ever explained why tall-and-short from The Raid were in that scene?

the purpose of the scene was to show that
>Han solo is still good old smuggler
>Still has debts
>Member greedo?

those two guys were supposed to provide some action scene, but that plan was scraped

You have autism.

He was a good enemy

>A coughing droid
Lucas you never stop to surprise me

His mask looks like shit. Do people like the design?

the purpose of the scene was to show that Han shooting first is cannon, hence why Han punches the random guy and throws him into the Rathtar.

Still... it entierely fucks up Han's character arc

>A New Hope: Han is a selfish smuggler, meets Leia and she changes him
Now he is back to his Episode 4 route...

Wasn't there some shit about him being a cyborg droid-human thing that had a few human organs which caused the cough or something?

It was also the reason he could learn the force at all?

I recently re-watched the Phantom Menace for the first time in almost a decade and there is absolutely nothing on this Earth, no entity, perpective or ideal, that could convince me that The Force Awakens should be regarded as a lesser film than that piece of fucking garbage.

Would you TPM is worse than AOTC?

>he thinks Grievous can use the force

TFA could be fixed with a few patches.

All 3 prequels are autism incarnate and should be de-canonized and rebooted.

If anyone thinks the prequels are good or even excusable, they have autism.

No you fucking retard

Force Awakens is a rehash. you can't fix it without rewrite the story

Yes you fucking retard

>Now he is back to his Episode 4 route...

EVERYTHING was reset to episode 4

He looks cool, has a double-bladed saber, kills powerful jedi, is the apprentice of the dark lord, and is competent at tracking down the good guys.

I don't need some retarded exposition to understand and enjoy a character. All you need to know about Darth Maul is in his actions. You learn everything you need to know from his brief appearances.

>inb4 Disney introduce time travel into Star Wars

agreed

You could say the same thing about Bobba Fett in the OT

>Hayden Christenson was the only thing wrong with the prequels
He wasn't even a terrible actor but even Ewan McGregor looked trash with the script he was given. I know it's essentially a meme response by now but no one has successfully refuted the Plinkett review

yeah the way those robes are folded and cut is totally supposed to look like a kimono

No you don't need exposition, you need a character. Maul ain't no character, he's a plot device.

If he didn't look cool you wouldn't think the same about him, so in the end you just like him cuz his horns

I understand Fett's fanboys as much as Maul's

>Waaaaah b-but at least he tried!!
Tired as fuck of this shitty excuse. Good intentions doesn't mean shit if the movies aren't good, stop defending the prequels.

I'd take a bad experimental movie that tried something interesting over the bland Hollywood cash-print that we got.

Your shitty mentality is what's ruining entertainment.

this

The problem is, the PT still is a bland Hollywood cash-print

We're talking about Star Wars here

I don't even notice his horns most of the time. His character is a sadistic and ruthless Jedi hunter. What more do you want? You want to know where he comes from? his motives? Who does his make-up?

What makes him such a great character is how little you know about him. All you know is that he is a serious threat and until his death he seemed unstoppable.

Except it kinda' wasn't though. It did a lot of things the late-90s didn't expect.

For fucks sake they built an entire trilogy of backstory around a god damn villain.

George wanted both: tell an epic story and sell his stuff. He failed at telling a good story

>But at least he tried ;^(
Like a broken record.
>Your shitty mentality is what's ruining entertainment
Heh, tell that to Hack Lucas.

God for-fucking-bid someone try to take you out of your comfort zone every now and then and show you a universe where stuff like politics, and the role of the Jedi in the galaxy actually matters.

You prefer scrappy underdog rises to meet the overwhelming dark force and beats it on repeat with a shallow reskin.

I bet you praise capeshit.

>It did a lot of things the late-90s didn't expect
Bad stories? A big dissapoinment? That's nothing new.

5>4>6>7>>>>1>this thread>2
/thread

>/thread
Faggot.

Yup. I have a similar view to Plinkett in that TFA was clearly a better, more competent film than any of the prequels, but relied too much on the formula of the original trilogy. Disney had the perfect opportunity to use Lucas' decent ideas and ignore his stupid ones. They wanted to take all his old ideas that would make them money but laughed off any and all of his new ones.

>I don't need some retarded exposition to understand and enjoy a character

Prequel-babbies, everyone

The prequels didn't make me hate Star Wars. TFA did. The prequels were just bad, bland and lazy, while in TFA you can see how cynical the people were behind it.

>I was downright annoyed when they had the protagonist on a desert planet, having a droid as a Macguffin, having them escape the droid planet chased by the enemies in the Falcon

Yeah, I can't believe they had the main protagonist be from a desert planet. What hacks! Next they'll introduce some sort of silly sidekick and bore us with some sort of terrible love story that hinges on a pick-up line about sand and then have the other protagonist visit Dexter Jettster's 50s diner

But that'd be silly

Best sabre fight in any SW movie.

NEXT LEVEL LIGHTSABERS BRO!

t. millennial psychologist

So, generic bad guy? Wow thank you based Lucas, I literally eat shit.

Patricians agree.

>blablablabla please give prequels a chance

I can't believe they made a Star Wars for women version.

the best character of the phantom menace is the one who has the least dialogue written by George Lucas

what a surprise!

NEXT LEVEL LIGHTSABERS BRO!

>reading comprehension

Ian MacDonald's boots tho

George Lucas with the prequels at least created unique characters and worlds. Sure, the story was a mess but creatively it was beautiful.

Jedi wear robes specifically because it makes them look more humble, like ordinary farmers. It's a facade to cover up their inherent elitism.

user, come now, couldn't we have gotten a story that was in the vein of the original, without being so derivative? Or, heavens forbid, actually doing the near-impossible and producing a movie that was the equivalent of what Star Wars was for 1977?

While the prequels aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be, I still like TFA better. I'd say the only one that comes close to TFA in terms of quality is maybe RotS.

I should say, equivalent for the modern day.

Broken record.

>I watch RedLetterFaggots

It looks fucking baller. Maybe you should just watch the prequels some more if you don't like TFA, I'm sure General Grevious is something you appreciate much more.

MEEESA GOOOD CHARACTER UNIQUE AND NOTSA SHIT INZA SLIGHEST.

Luckily Anakin the scrappy underdog defeats the forces of evil in the Phantom Menace against all odds. Grevious and Count Dooku felt more like Capeshit villains to me than Kylo Ren. More disposable and gimmicky. Same with Darth Maul. There's nothing to them. You know what also felt like a big stupid comic book moment? When Obi Wan and Qui Gon Jinn swim to Frog World Under the Sea to treat with King Frog with the help of Jar Jar Binks, who steps on poop and has a speech impediment.

Absolutely.

I genuinely like TPM.

>Anakin the scrappy underdog defeats the forces of evil in the Phantom Menace

Except he doesn't. He contributes only to his own little side-plots and personal heroics while the real threat is arguably handled by a side character. Scratch that: a side characters apprentice. I'm not saying I agree with the guy you're arguing with who probably left 3 hours ago, but Anakin did not take down the big bad in Phantom Menace in any sense. He contributed by accident to some conflict that would have killed the Gungan army at WORST.

General Grevious isn't too bad. His name is dumb, but not any dumber than "Greedo." Honestly, "General Grevious" does fit Star Wars. His character design is interesting, and the fight he has with Kenobi is alright. People say he was better in the cartoon, and that's probably true, but he wasn't that bad in the movie.

Anakin destroys the droid control ship, which wins them the battle. I think you're not giving him enough credit.

The battle was originally to send tens of thousands of Gungans to their deaths so that the army would leave the city.

The attack on the ship was to end the slaughter of Gungans as soon as possible.

If the space battle had been won or lost, or if the Gungan battle had been won or lost matters little. The only thing that mattered was the killing of the Sith and capturing the viceroy. Both things to which Anakin contributed nothing.

But Queen Armadillo already captured the Trade Federation command. All they had to do was either
>"Shut down the droid army you [racial slur for Nute Gunray's species] or I'll blow your brains out"
or phone their command ship and tell them:
>"Shut down the droid army myah, or the [racial slur for Nute Gunray's species] gets it, see!