Sup Cred Forums

just saw this last night and no kidding this is seriously a 9/10 for me. really funny and entertaining, exactly what i would expect from a roland emmerich sci-fi flick. i was actually surprised at how many of the old cast were back, they did a good job. also liked the set-design aspects, those fighter jets were sexy as hell.

there were only two things missing, an inspirational speech and a better score. bit of a shame david arnold didn't return for it.

>this is seriously a 9/10 for me
maybe if it was your first space movie

I thought it was solid and did exactly what i expected of it i would say more of a 7/10 personally but that is about what i wanted from it

word

Good timing op, I see the blu ray is out shortly! Good thread.

just saw it around 10 minut ago and i say its decent but first movie was much better

kill yourself reddit

Well, I did enjoy The Day After Tomorrow and even 10,000 BC to some degree.

That acting for the guy in the moon in the first minutes, those retarded plans, the warlord dude, the wannabe funny burocraft who fight,
jesus...

Is like... who though this was a good idea?

A complete disaster.

>who though this was a good idea?
Whoever they were, they're probably unemployed now.

Why? Wasn't movie a success?

lmfao

the first one was the defining spectacle movie of the 90s for me and i have endless nostalgia for it, so i'm happy to revisit that world and the characters, but it also saddens me because it all feels somehow cheap and soulless by comparison.

i said this yesterday too, the fact that it's a sequel to ID4 works for it as well as against it. the advantage is that without the preexisting lore and characters, this would just be a completely random and uninteresting flick. goldblum, pullman and dr. data in particular are delightful.

but it being a sequel also works against it because of how much better the first movie looks and sounds. together with Jurassic Park, ID4 is one of the finest examples of a seamless blend of great detailed modelwork/practical effects with CGI. pretty much all the shots of the city destroyers etc. still look amazing and convincing today. in IDR, everything is CGI, good CGI to be sure, but your brain can tell instantly that none of it is really there. don't get me started on the music. the original had a fucking symphony, with tons of memorable moments. it's a score that i like to just listen to by itself. IDR has the most unmemorable bland score droning along in the background, and when they do play the ID4 theme once every hour it feels forced and reluctant because I guess they knew they had to use it at some point but didn't feel like paying David Arnold too many shekels for using his themes.the new characters, especially not-Thor and not-Will Smith are horribly devoid of charisma. all in all, it's simply a huge distraction how little effort Emmerich put into making this anywhere near as charming as the original.

That being said, I hope that despite the poor performance, there will be further movies to flesh out this cinematic universe. I just read the comic series Dark Fathom that is set between ID4 and IDR and that focuses on William Fichtner's character and it was pretty neat.

I hardly remember anything that was in this movie

>goldblum, pullman and dr. data in particular are delightful.

you mean the only guys who can act

The shills are so lazy these days

>it's a good movie because it embraced its idiocy
KYS.

>was projected to gross $45–65 million in its opening weekend
>it made $16.8 million, including Thursday previews

JUST

I watched this but only faintly remember what even happened. Not a good sign.

also, special mention is deserved by the HORRIBLE design for the new alien attackers, why the FUCK would you give up such an iconic spaceship design for something that ugly?

the warlord dude was pretty cool man. i wish he had more screen time. the bureaucrat was a wasted character.

the new design of the ayyy lmao's were fine

the ayys themselves yes, it's probably the only thing that was improved by the reliance on CGI, because they feel much more like threatening creatures that move around freely because they aren't as restricted as they were with the puppets

the new ships look like ass though

yeh i did like the old ship design more, one thing that would have been nice was to have the president of will smith's son flying one of the older design ships.

Will smiths wife's son should never have been a pilot in the first place.

>Will smiths wife's son should never have been a pilot in the first place.

It's a solid idea that the son would want to follow in his hero dad's footsteps, too bad the execution was garbage.

> kidding this is seriously a 9/10 for me
I too liked the movie but let's not push it. If the original was a 7.5 /10, this was a 6/10.

I still want to see a sequel though, but it's unlikely. The movie barely broke even.

Are you fucking stupid? He wasn't his dad.

wat? the original is a solid 10/10 bro

Sorry I meant stepdad, but that doesn't change anything, he was the father figure in his life, and he pretty much saved the world.

I don't understand how you can't grasp this.

About 1 in 2000 people who try to become air force pilots are actually capable of doing it. What are the chances some stripper will smith was fucking was going to have a son just as capable as him? Probably about the same as that stripper becoming a doctor.

his dad was considered a hero, so they probably cut him some slack - especially since junior thor was trying to cuck him all the time.

you think george w bush would have been a yale graduate if not for his old man? boyo you're in for a suprise

Fuck off cunt, you're got no idea what you're talking about.

Took me a while but 10/10 user! Man I wish we had more comedians like you, the world would be a better place.

Thanks user

why would you ever want to see any more of this garbage?