Was this the moment Breaking Bad went to shit?

Was this the moment Breaking Bad went to shit?

>Promise something epic throughout the season
>Turns out to be a random incident that has no affect on any of the main characters
>Pass it off as WALT'SACTIONSHASCONSEQUENCES
It's a narrative trick that even LOST wouldn't have used as its lowest.

>random incident
>random

Try harder, you cuck

S01E01

Yeah, this was pants on head retarded

Lost was always better than breaking bad

Breaking Bad is overrated shit

Putting it on the same level as The Wire is retarded

Agreed

no the revving scene with the cars is when it all went to shit

Both went to shit after 2 seasons. I would say they were equally bad after that point.

Why was it his fault again?

No it isn't, they're both shit.

Correct

cause he killed the guy air traffic control dude's daughter

>Was this the moment Breaking Bad went to shit?
Yes. That whole season had the pretentious as fuck shots of the pool. All for this terrible reveal. This is the point where I could no longer take the show seriously. Can't believe people still do

>hurr now I'll outweight years of praise with my hot opinions
I really wish teenagers stopped trying this shit.

>My opinion is based entirely on someone else's
Good shit my dude

>my opinion is based on being the opposite of what most believe
kys

It's not though. I never actually shared my opinion on the show
>kys
rude

Yeah I kinda of blanked it out because it was so ridiculous. Did Walt even realise the guy responsible was the father of Jessie's girlfriend?

When Jessie killed a dog off screen.

It didn't kill the show, season 3 onwards is still good, but yeah this reveal did suck. A real "a million deaths is a statistic" moment - when we have no connection or proximity to the people who are supposed to have died, there's no emotional weight to the disaster.

See also: TFA

Maybe if you weren't a pleb you'd have noticed the blatant foreshadowing in four days out and seen it coming.

no
it went to shit when vince hackigan couldn't write his way out after season 4 and decided the best course of action would be to randomly introduce a group of nazis who just fuck shit up and basically instantly become meth overlords

Implying LOST was ever that bad

she killed herself

Lost at is worst was waaaaay worse than breaking bad at its worst are you kidding me? Do you even recall the temple of doom? Jacob and the man in black? Their "mother"? What about the followers of Jacob that happened to be on the plane that crashed on the island? Or sayid and Claire being "sick" and then good guys and then bad guys and then good guys and then dead? No you probably blocked it all out because it was so terrible

It wasn't that bad. Cred Forums just doesn't like BB.

The plane crash shows how a person's actions can have unforseen consequences that make the true risk of evil impossible to predict. It's a pretty hamfisted "coincidence" that Jane turns out to be the flight controller's daughter, but it works for the sake of the story. The chaos of the scene creates an atmosphere of looming dread that shifts the tone of the story.

The main thing I took away from it is Walt's reaction. Even after learning that it was basically his fault, he rationalizes everything and appears almost totally unfazed by the level of carnage he's inflicted. We have the school scene where he hilariously describes it as not even that big of a deal before a dumbfounded crowd.

We also get the Eye, which represents secrets, hidden truths, and conscience, and foreshadows his impending judgement.

when he quit being a teacher.
that's when the show stopped being 'normal everyday guy has a double life as a drug dealer' and became 'drug lord doing epic things with his other drug lord buddies'

>We also get the Eye, which represents secrets, hidden truths, and conscience, and foreshadows his impending judgement.
sure it does.

didn't save the air traffic control guy's daughter*
He didn't kill her, he just watched her die.

Absolute autism.

>This thing I consider dumb can't go deeper than what I think it does.

>Even after learning that it was basically his fault, he rationalizes everything and appears almost totally unfazed by the level of carnage he's inflicted.

He's right to rationalises it because it wasn't his fault. He let a hopeless drug addict choke to death on her own vomit, something that would have happened if he wasn't there anyway. Her dying ultimately helped his friend Jesse avoid going down the same road, so you could argue it was a good thing.

He didn't know her dad was an air traffic controller. He didn't make him go back to work when he wasn't ready. If such a totally implausible thing like the crash were to happen in real life, the air traffic control company and industry would be blamed for a lack of procedures, oversight, and safety.

Walt seeming to actually be rational about the whole thing and dismissing it as a freak accident were the only redeeming features of a clumsy and ridiculous plot.

Oh and before any of you say she died because Walt touched her and she rolled on her back. Well then that makes it an accident, which again removes him from real responsibility in the chain of events.

DOWN
OVER
ABQ

Breaking Bad went to shit the moment the writers lost control and the fans became more powerful.

Walter was supposed to be an idiot who got way over his head.
But then the writers began to believe Walt's bullshit and began to make him le fuggin epin badasss.

The highpoint of Walt's career as a drug lord should have been killing Gus with what amounted to a suicide bomb.
After that, then the Mexican cartels move in to stabilize a region that has clearly gotten out of control.
Not two brothers on a mission of personal revenge.
Just business for the cartels.
And then bad things really start to happen.

The show went with fucking neo-Nazis. Fucking nobodies. Just big ol' meanies that screwed up Walters perfect plans.
So shit

But user, Walt was there in the room when she started choking. It doesn't matter that it could've happened had he not been there; he WAS there. It was his responsibility and duty as both a person and as a friend and mentor to Jesse to roll the girl on her side.

It's also the first time Walt kills an innocent person, which is a significant event from a story perspective.

Also, you are dreaming if you think he did it to help Jesse. He did it to prevent her from blackmailing him and to remove her influence on his partner so as to make him easier to manipulate.

Please dont extrapolite S6 to be the standard for Lost here.

It can, but it didn't.

I liked the neo Nazis. I got tired of all the cartel baddies, we had plenty of them.

Lost was always poorly written garbage.

All of which is true without the need for the crash. There was enough content, emotional impact, and character development with two planes exploding directly over Walt's head.

But there never were any real cartel baddies on the show.
Just local hicks with delusions of grandeur.

Once Walt started actually disrupting production, then he deserves an actual response
Not just some idiots who were more violent than average.
People sent in to clear the area and establish proper control again.
The chainsaw decapitation type people. That's the consequences of Walt's actions

The show as it is is like someone teasing a tiger, then being mauled by a passing pitbull

without two planes exploding*

>the air traffic control company and industry would be blamed for a lack of procedures, oversight, and safety.

Lol.

I like the Twins, you can call it farfetched but considering that Mexican Crime Cartels do all sorts of crazy fucking shit I really don't think it's that implausible. Walt and Jesse left a key witness behind in Tio simple as that.

But yeah Walt turned into Batman at the end and I really think it might have been a better ending if it had just ended in Walt saying "I won" and then coming home. Inconclusive yes for sure but I think it would have been closer to A History of Violence. I kinda like the idea that Walt and Skyler would try to live a normal life after all the horrible shit happened.

But the show was already too big at that point and people just wanted more and more epic drama. The Nazis and Hank figuring out that Walt was Heisenberg through a copy of Field of Leaves was dumb.

I will agree with you that the crash could have been written out without losing a whole lot of value. Maybe the creators were reaching too far. But I don't agree with OP's premise that the show just instantly "went to shit" because of it.

If anything, it works for me as a tonal shift device.

Kinda like when meteor gets summoned in FF7.

Jane in her bra were some of the best parts of the show.

Seriously though, her death made me feel quite disgusted. Not that the plane stuff was terrible or anything, but I do see why some people think it was unnecessary. It hardly means the show is bad as a result though.

The Twins were great, but they should have been foreshadowing for a real Mexican response.

These are two guys coming alone without sanction for personal reasons.
What happens when 100 guys come up to take control?

I disagree with the "I won" ending.
It was a great season ending.
But there needs to consequences.
Walt started this whole thing because he's too proud to take the money.
Pride comes before the fall so there needs to be a fall.

The plane crash was stupid for one reason.
It was misleading.

The seasons starts out with debris at Walt's house.
Everyone was thinking "Oh shit, Walt's going to get fucked up by some druglords".
The focus on the pink bear was especially bad as that implied something happening to Holly.

But nope, it had "nothing" to do with Walt

Tuco and the twins were cartel affiliated, then we have Gus taking Jesse into the cartel HQ for a secret revenge mission.

>Tuco and the twins were cartel affiliated
Tuco was barely affiliated. He was just the fringe.
And the Twins were there personally.

Where was the real response?

"I won" could have been a good end point but it would have left the confrontation with Hank unresolved which was something the series was building towards since the beginning. Though I don't think they handled Hank finally finding out about Walt all that well either but I don't think they could have ended the series satisfactorily without addressing it in some way.

Well if we want consequences and I were writing the remake of BB I would just say have the Twins murder Hank. Walt could realize his actions have consequences there. Or Gus could have killed Hank.

I think the I Won ending could be rewritten to be a Pyrrhic victory. One of my favorite downer endings in general is the final scene in Godfather Part 2 where Michael just stares vacantly at a lake alone. Walt could win in the material sense and but still lose greatly.

If anything I really hate that Season 5 turned into a damn redemption arc for Walt. That was just corny.

no funnily enough when i witnessed this scene i was too busy enjoying a piece of media entertainment rather than waiting for something to ruin it

youd have to be a very cynical and hateful person to let a show be ruined this easily

Tuco was a supplier with his own soldiers who had direct family ties to ranking cartel members.

Crazy 8, a street level dealer, was "fringe."

The real response was disrupted when Gus and Jesse took out the leadership.

>all that buildup throughout the season
>"uhh yeah two planes crashed into eachother"

BRAVO VINCE

>ranking cartel members
>Tio

Tio was long since out of contact with the family.

Besides, there is more than one "cartel".
If Gus disrupted the leadership of one, the others would swoop in and take up the vacuum

Yes. Did you guys even watch the show? He runs into him at the bar then sees the story on TV with his photo and makes the connection.

obviously vince wrote all the foreshadowing before he actually knew what was gonna happen..

>drug addict >innocent person
LOL!