So, what went wrong, Cred Forums?

So, what went wrong, Cred Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

cinemablend.com/television/Westworld-Having-Some-Serious-Problems-Get-Details-112387.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is that the prometheus 2 promo?
Is that the Wayland Utany logo, and an androgynous promethean falling apart? What's going on here?

the premise is beyond stupid

Your post, OP.

Nothing so far, but there's still almost a whole season to go.

I thought I liked sci-fi, until I watched this shitshow.

Cuck.

I'm just not feelin' it.

your mother giving birth to a faggot

Hundreds of retards demanding that the first episode of every show be a meticulous explanation of every piece of technology with blueprints of the facility and a detailed procedural handbook describing every aspect of the setting instead of a story.

>WUH HOW DO THE GUNS WORK
>IS IT AN ALIEN PLANET? THERES NO WAY IT COULD BE ON EARTH! EARTH DOESN'T HAVE DESERTS
>WHY AREN'T THE GUESTS RAPING EACH OTHER
>HOW DO THEY REPAIR THE ROBOTS EVERY CYCLE?
Just shut up you faggots and watch the show. It's the future and technology lets them. The end.

It's filmed beautifully and has good acting, enough for me.

They retconned the best entry in the franchise, Futureworld.

This.
Great cinematography, good acting, storytelling looks like it could amount to something interesting.

Basically I'm hooked for a season, but they better not fuck it up.

This. But also every single post saying MiB is a robot and stating it as fact.

nothing yet, however it will become popular with the mainstream soon so Cred Forums wont be able to like it anymore

Just read the synopsis on wikipedia.
is it another "robot/synth slavery is bad mkay" show?

Not necessarily, but it's really going that way so far.

basically the robots are slowly becoming sentient but nobody has realized it yet

its like Jurassic Park. It's all based on a single dumb concept (making a theme park with cloned dinosaurs/making a theme park with robot people in the old west) but it makes way for lots of great ideas and storytelling. There's a lot of cool stuff they can do with that dumb idea. I was sold on it after the second episode.

people will tear the shit out of it here for now and then accept it as the masterpiece it is in four years

>I, Robot

What was that short story where the old couple go to some sort of commercial medical facility to upload their minds onto androids and live forever because the husband is sick?

This show reminds me of that

Everybody in scifi steals from Asimov.

Everybody.

Fucking nothing. Can you possibly be serious?

tfw I still haven't read it.

Not really, at least not so far. It just tries to make you feel bad because the audience knows they are becoming sentient and they get treated like toys.

It's also delving into the question of how long can one indulge their baser desires before simply realizing that they're not letting themselves go, they're just legitimately bad people.

The cinematography is bland, the acting is bordering on atrocious, and the "storytelling" is a fucking joke of hamhanded exposition and "deep" lines. Shill harder though.

Dollhouse did this not even a decade ago, I don't know why people aren't making the comparison (ripoff).

>i didn't like it: the post
Your tastes are shit, but feel free to leave the thread anytime.

Alternatively: Stop liking what I don't like

Best we wait till the dust has settled, OP.

idk, I just always really dislike that angle.
If they do something cool, like the AIs being too alien, like a hivemind or something, I guess it can work, but just doing the flat slavery metaphor always feels cheap to me. idk, I just don't like it.

Because nobody fucking saw Dollhouse.

Also it wasn't really the same thing, even though it touches the same themes.

Who cares about who rips of who ultimately? I'd fucking Michael Bay's Dune if it was any good.

Show me one creative shot that's not an establishing one, one example of good acting aside from the Abernathy breakdown, and one good line that isn't cryptic garbage. I'll wait.

I have hopes they don't fuck it up. If they do it well they can play off the fact that we'll anthropomorphize to surprise us.

But if they just do another robot-slavery-bad show, i'm out after this season.

Dollhouse explored the themes that Westworld is tackling in a much more interesting way with much more creative restrictions. It was a good show and the amount of direct parallels you can draw between it and Westworld are so numerous that it can't be coincidence.

>show me one good thing aside from these good things
Yeah you're not really making your point that well you know that?

This is a good post. I still hope we'll get answers to those though.

Still waiting.

It's not that at all. The creator wants them to become sentient because, in his own words, "we're done." He regards his creations as the next step. He's trans-humanist.

I'm sure they borrowed thematically from it. I remember watching the premiere thinking it would be something of a western in space and immediately thinking of Dollhouse after the first few scenes.

This is also my theory, he's added the reveries knowingly and he's purposely making the robots sentient.

Except if you're going to be telling a story that hinders on attention to detail purposefully leaving things is the dark in order to maintain a level of mystery is artificial and lazy.

>CATER TO MY AUTISM AND FIGHT WITH ME ABOUT THIS EVEN THOUGH IVE PROVEN I'LL IGNORE ANY RESPONSE AND CONTINUE TO SHIT UP THE THREAD

The only thing I find really wrong with it is that the premise was thought up in the 60s so instead of it being a VR world that would make perfect sense it's just a bunch of robots that they repair each night apparently but the guests are supposed to be free to do what they want for days so I don't get how the immersion isn't ruined when a bunch of white lab coats come down and drag off the dead and repair everything. Unless they're only allowed to go for a few hours during the day but that makes having that huge landscape and all the little villages and outskirt injun stuff pretty retarded.

Overall I'm enjoying it though, I really like the show.

Its starting to seem like it was Anthony Hopkin's idea to use the park to create AI all along. The robots all interact with each other and the guests to become more intelligent and human. So they're not necessarily slaves...

I disagree.

That said, science negro is a terrible actor who can't deliver lines naturally.

Still waiting. Not asking for much, especially from the best show ever made after two episodes.

The original Westworld came out long before Dollhouse and theyre both heavily based on Asimov

The entire cast is sleepwalking through the whole thing, including Anthony Hopkins.

Stop trolling anytime.
The highest amount of praise in this thread is that it's pretty good and might amount to more.

Now you decided to hate on it because this is Cred Forums and it's what we do, i understand that.

Please fuck off this thread now.

I think it's really good and I like it a lot
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>The cinematography is bland
No it's not.

>the acting is bordering on atrocious
Wrong again.

or VR is shit, or it exists and isnt as good, or people just want the real experience

the staff dress up in period clothing to clean up

Yeah I was thinking the same things. Hopefully they'll explain it more because right now theres way more questions than answers.

I blame poor direction. The brit writer is pretty bad too.

Is it ironic that the people playing robots have given better performances so far?

Yeah I watched episode 1. I can't think of a more contrived plot...

1. The man in black...How many of these "western satan" types do we need to see? The Stand anyone?

2. All the women are hookers, except for the really dumb blond robot. She's just madly in love with another idiot who gets killed every night.

3. The music sounds exactly like the Game of Thrones music.

4. The opening titles sequence looks exactly like the Game of Thrones sequence (I know it's different images, but the speed of the shots and the editing is really similar).

5. The shit dialogue:
- He's off script.
- We didn't program any of those behaviors.
- Shakespeare.

You can't argue with these people. They throw out vague subjective shit like that and if you disagree they just call you shill.

I don't know how old you are, but it helps me to remember that most of the time I'm likely ""discussing"" this show with some idiot teenager

What detail? What planet its on is irrelevant. How the guns work has been shown (other than a detail blueprint which would just be scifi rambling anyway). The blonde host at the beginning of two mentions how there are millions of cameras watching them as well as the fact that the hosts seem to have no trouble telling the difference.

You're literally asking for tell not show

I never said that Dollhouse wasn't influenced by Asimov or inspired by the original movie (or the countless other AI/Robot movies that explore the line between humanity and artificiality). I said that there are enough direct parallels between the two television shows for the most recent one to be considered a ripoff.

Just one example. Just one.

Wow you got me. Guess I'll just kill myself now. Thanks for the chat

1) I think that's intentional

2) Two women of the three robot characters are hookers, yes. What is your criticism. The show has gone at length to show that sex tourism is a major factor in westworld so obviously major characters will be hookers. It's part of showing how the robots are stuck and helpless in this fucked up world

3) I don't think so but even if that's true I don't really care

4) again I don't think so, and imo this is a dumb and purposeless point

5) what is wrong with the first two? And the Shakespeare thing was intentional

You seem like one of the MANY people here who half assed watch a show and make stupid conclusions about it

its a park specifically to cater to shootouts/prostitution

loads of openings look like that

all the dialogue you mentioned is fine, yes the quoting is hackneyed, but its a common trope

Daily reminder that ghost in the shell are waiting for you

Shows are going to look more like GoT especially these big budgets, because of its success, for good or bad, Hollywood imitates success and that's hardly the shows fault.

The shots of the landscape
The dad robot's weird glitch

Detail like making Westworld feel genuinely real for the viewer so we can experience it like it's intended instead of constant reminders it's a shitty theme park. Detail like crafting an actual unique environment for the office instead of taking cues from the big book of futuristic minimalism. Detail like exploring the subtleties of the rules of the park first hand instead of having them explained through constant exposition dumps. Detail like establishing exactly what the parameters of this show and it's world are going to be so we can get to what it's actually about instead of rampantly speculating about bullshit.

How does Cred Forums feel about this show so far? It's a live-action MMORPG with semi-sentient NPCs as POV characters.

That's some great bait, at least I hope it is.

8/10

I just hope (like many others too) they don't fuck up this season. Mostly because I need something new to watch.

Half assed watch a show? The ONLY point you were able to provide any information for was regarding hookers on the show. GTFO you degenerate TV-MA addicted mofo.

>go to westworld
>have the rules of the park explained to you

thats not exposition

we know the parameters of the show, we dont need to know the parameters of the broader world

We've seen the staff down there at night and they weren't dressed up at all

No we don't. We have zero context for what is happening on the show, and it's not being doled out in a measured or artful manner.

>Autist craves exposition

Ok

I provided enough information for what your post needed. You're complaining about shit like music and the intro for Christ sake. At least the other mouthbreathers here prattle on about shit like muh cinematography

It isn't the upgrades doing it or helping the malfunction?

True but that's because a robot was going apeshit and terrorizing the guests. They showed up to fix a major problem otherwise they would have maintained the illusion

Reread it slowly this time, maybe try mouthing out the words.

How do they shrink the people?

How do you not know the context of what's happening? I think I have a good understanding. I'm really curious as to what your questions are

what context do you want? THE YEAR IS 2124 AND A CORPORATION HAS OPENED blaghg blah blah we can infer all of that

in the future people go to a park full of automatons to kill and fuck - there's your context

They better keep based Ed Harris around. He's the best part of anything that he's in.

Holograms m9.

What about the atrocious overacting? FFS....

The music sounds like GoT because it's the same fucking composer. Try doing a little research next time.

>faggot has not seen ep2

He's not wrong, man. You're offering subjective criticisms and coaching them as objective truth. It's an incredibly autistic thing to do.

The anachronistic over-the-top music choices and the by-the-numbers bland boring pretentious opening sequence directly relate to the content of the show and how it's presented.

The cinematography is actually pretty run of the mill. Nothing particularly noteworthy about it. I will agree that the concept is pretty interesting though.

They don't shrink the people. Do they?

>I don't like a major theme of the show
>I require more exposition
>I'm going to continue fighting over opinions as if I'll actually convince someone

in an emergency though, the only other time we see staff in the park is at the end of the heist where they are all in dress /taking pictures with old cameras / interacting with hosts ect

>mfw Rami Djiwali did that awesome Pacific Rim soundtrack

BANE
>BANE
BANE
>BANE

BANE
>BAINS
BANE
>BAINS
BANE
>BAINS
BANE
>BAINS

MY FACE WHEN
>MY FACE WHEN
MY FACE WHEN
>MY FACE WHEN
MY FACE WHEN
>MY FACE WHEN
MY FACE WHEN
>MY FACE WHEN
MY FACE WHEN
>MY FACE WHEN

bane...

BANE.

my face, my face

my face
my face

BANE!!!!!!!

yes but its more like everything was fine till an oldfag got board.

(you)

Or maybe they have many copies of each host that they can send out each day

No, you didn't, I'm still right and you're just a tryhard corporate TV gatekeeper.

jesus christ

>Dollhouse did this not even a decade ago, I don't know why people aren't making the comparison (ripoff).

I saw one from a reviewer, I think that most people didn't watched dollhouse and it got cancelled too soon to make a impact.

How much do they pay you? seriously you are ready to suck the shows cock after 2 episodes? Dollhouse and Westworld are apples and oranges.

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't know all great composers' works were all derivative of themselves.

Daily reminder that those cyborg are too complicated for them to manage.

For example.
On one hand Lee can write one speech they say. On the other hand they can ask Dolores how she feels. That's not how you design your robots.

If you want your robot to say exact words you write, you make them emotionless. If you want your robots to feel, you can't determine what they say.

There are many other aspects. How many horses? Remember each horse is assembled by hand.

Except we haven't seen anything outside the park and have no idea what the shape of society is like in this futuristic setting, have zero idea what any of the people who are running it's motivations or if they even exist, have established that robots are basically indistinguishable from humans so anyone on the show is fair game to be a robot, and have no bearing on why any of the shit on the show that's happening matters and why we should care aside from the tease of some ambiguous mystery.

>Seemingly inexplicable logistic conveniences that leave the audience scratching their heads
Yep, it's definitely a Nolan script. No doubt about it

The scientists come out at the end of the cycle when all the guests leave. Until then they just leave the bodies or maybe another undertaker type host will clean them up.

I assume they have sessions of different lengths because sometimes its one day but the other guy said he stayed a week

that is the the point, he is recalling lines

Or maybe they stay online till they're "killed," injuries and all.

Or you could switch their emotions on or off at your leisure and take full control of them as you please. Doesn't have to be one or the other.

If you want to have a debate about subjectivity and objectivity in art that's fine, but dismissing everything I had to say as autistic and having nothing to do with how to tell a good story leads me to believe you don't know what this things are and therefore are perfectly suited for a bad show like Westworld.

They're explaining every single relevant detail as they go. They can't make a pilot episode that's just some Brave New World-tier explanation of the world because then fags like yourself would complain that WAHH IT'S SO BORING and stop watching.

They don't experience emotions though and you need to make them react to the guests anyway.

The premise is excellent.

I'm fucking tired of "Doctor Drama" or "Cop/Lawyer Drama" hell that is modern television.

You fucking morons don't get the difference between blatant exposition and crafting a good story.

>he must know everything about the lore
>he doesn't like life slice scifi
That's too bad for ya.

why does it matter though, just pretend it is super futuristic magic making everything work, as long as it is relatively consistent.

What is suspension of disbelief?

Did you read his post? He literally just said the show would be better with less exposition dumps.

Dollhouse was a network television show and even though it started pretty slowly it's blowing a no limits big budget HBO show out of the water.

They don't feel, they just have more human commands it does not feel too soul crushing. "how you feel" is code for diagnostics run on software, current profile and the hardware

Because that's the boring kind of scifi

They're explaining every single relevant detail as they go is exactly why it's a bad fucking show. No details to create a sense of an actual setting, no details in the background to pick up on, just "Here's the mystery!" and "Here's what's happening!" over and over again.

Thank. You. It's ridiculous that people can't see the show's shortcomings and pin critiques on 'you just don't get it'.

Yes, tell us more about this fascinating premise wherein robots of the future become more human while the real humans around them become less human.

I hate watching scifi with faggots that want an explanation for everything. It's not how it's done.

If it's stupid scifi, then call it that. Don't be the idiot that says "There's no such thing as light speed travel. That spaceship is impossible and how do those lasers even work? Blerg blerg blerg!"

Slice of whose life? Name one thing we know about any of the characters on the show's lives aside from their occupation.

>Detail like establishing exactly what the parameters of this show and it's world are going to be so we can get to what it's actually about instead of rampantly speculating about bullshit.
the parameters of a show isn't how much mana a fireball takes to cast or what the technical designs are for the lightsaber or whatever, sure you need to have some vague understanding and rules that are mostly followed, but stories true parameters are the themes and the characters not plot or details.

I never said it was the greatest show on television. I'm getting tired of the constant exposition, I was just pointing out the exposition to the user I was replying to. Of course I'll never drop the show because I'm a gigantic cuck who needs sci-fi in his life and the genre's in a movie/television drought for the most part.

>So they're not necessarily slaves...

they are slaves.

>Slice of whose life?
Are you serious?
The hosts goddammit.

>slaves
*machines

and what's the non-boring kind of scifi?

opinion

I'm not asking for minute details or a handbook on the rules of the show, I'm asking for basic context.

Are you going to go put your toaster out on the street like a free little birdy?

You seem to be confusing derivation with style. Most, if not all, composers have certain trademarks in their music that make it distinct and identifiable as theirs. It's how we're able to tell Mozart apart from Beethoven, or Williams apart from Zimmer.

I don't believe anything in the Westworld soundtrack I've heard so far is a direct 1:1 ripoff of anything in GoT. The overall timbre of the Westworld soundtrack has more of a sci-fi/mechanical feel compared to GoT's more traditional, Medieval sound.

See, this distinction right here is part of why I think the show is interesting and why it's good even you nitpick things like muh conematography, muh acting, muh exposition

The robots with no lives are the subject of a slice of life show. Got it.

>2) Two women of the three robot characters are hookers, yes. What is your criticism. The show has gone at length to show that sex tourism is a major factor in westworld so obviously major characters will be hookers. It's part of showing how the robots are stuck and helpless in this fucked up world

also where is the sexy cowboys that women hook with them?

they've given that, enough for people to infer the essentials at the very least.

Yes.
It's the whole fucking point.

These ideas aren't new and are obviously not going to be handled in an interesting manner when they aren't even presented well.

So what is it you masters of storytelling feel like the show isn't addressing in its two hours of existence?

The impact of semi-autonomous AI on society?

The external world-building?

The very real possibility that what we're seeing is a glimpse into a post-scarcity civilization?

How many more concepts do you want to dump into the first two hours of a show that's obviously intended to run for far more than two hours?

>2. All the women are hookers, except for the really dumb blond robot. She's just madly in love with another idiot who gets killed every night.

the dumb blond gets raped almost every night. pretty great.
At least the boss is a woman...

That guy from the train in the first episode is SOOO that.

Machines gaining sentience are less interesting than just regular old humans. Got it

You don't understand what slice of life means.

Repost from another thread. I think J.J. might be what went wrong. Let me count the ways.

I am so, SO worried that "The Maze" is more J.J. Abrams shit.

He just fucking loves to derail potentially great story lines with weird irrelevant shit that takes over the entire plot and never gets resolved.

I will lose my shit if WestWorld becomes another "Lost" with fucking aliens, lasers, "real" wizards and any other pile of horseshit.

Anyone else feel the same way? He just loves to fuck up a plot.

On the one hand bro, you're not wrong. I'm genuinely interested in everything you listed too. But on the other, it's only been 2 episodes. We have no idea what lore/exposition is in store for us. Also, while like I said I agree with you in that I want to learn those aspects of the show, in the strictest sense of the story, none of that is necessarily vital to the story and they could easily leave it out and opt for a very closed and focused story just within what they've showed us so far.

I'm not saying that the series would be good as a result. Hell I'm not even saying the series will end up good at all. But I am saying we have to give it more time, at least a season or two. And I like what I've seen so far desu

I do.
You just aren't able to relate with the robots because they aren't alive.

No, they haven't. My point is that they are deliberately holding back the essentials to create an artificial and easy sense of mystery.

The chick from The Magicians doesn't count as a character? The Westworld exec?

what do you want to know?

Yeah this. I'm not sure why people are so upset about some of the vague exposition. Why is it important to know what the normal world is like? Sure it would be nice to know, and yeah it would alleviate speculation, but I just don't think it's important. You can create your own guess of what it's like.

Also someone said something about how we don't know the motivations of the park owners. I would guess it's purely profit (just like anything else in life) unless the show demonstrates otherwise. What is the point of picking apart something that is likely to be answered earlier.

At this point it's like people are criticizing it simply because only two episodes have been released so far and we don't know every single possible thing to know already. For fucks sake, enjoy the mystery

Is this the Netflix generation coming into its own??

So Asimov, Bradbury, Clarke, and Heinlein were all telling the boring kind of stories. How could I have been so blind?

It isn't world-building at all. It has set up an extremely narrow and lazily presented point of view and is relying on the exposition as a source of mystery.

Maybe that's season 2.

>HBO says Deadwood is too expensive and cancels it before the final season
>they make this show in the same fucking fake town + expensive CGI and Hollywood actors

What kind of shit is this?

>not new concepts
I guess but that seems silly to me because you can dumb down any show and use that as an excuse for anything

I feel like you can easily use that exact criticism for shows that are well received here and by critics like sopranos and the wire

GoT monies

Correct

What's the story then? It's been two episodes and the only place for the show to go is relying on the fact that they haven't given context to what is happening.

The maze. Dolores and Bernard. The new storyline.

It didn't yet.

It's a better acted and more self aware "Dollhouse". With an even more fucked up premise. I'm excited to see where it goes.

Im scared too. I had a friend who loved lost for those reasons. And hes hoping Westworld goes down the same way. He is a pleb and a redditor

Robots are starting to act up and it may lead to some weird shit

And like any show, this synopsis will be developed

Die in a fire.

Specific example now, otherwise you're just talking out of your ass.

how do you know?

No thanks man. That's pretty rude btw

>Are you going to go put your toaster out on the street like a free little birdy?

nope. The robots on wesworld aren't toasters, they are becoming sentient.

Not enough Dolores,

The Netflix generation doesn't think about these things. On a episode by episode basis the manner in which they are going about telling the story is not good, they don't stand on their own, there's no episodic thematic content to be found, no sense that the world and it's story is well thought out, just the sense that this is going to be another show stringing you along with bullshit mysteries and twists.

JJ Abrams shows always get better after the first season because Abrams stops babysitting the production. Fringe managed to escape that stupid Abrams shit about "The Pattern" and turned into one of my favorite shows of all time.

to add to this:
Management and the change of guard.
Also possibly the mcpoyle

i'd watch a show about robots and the future, and i'd watch a western, but a western about robots in the future is fucking dumb.

its like something my dad would come up with.

>yfw Westworld exists INSIDE of Futureworld

Vague Mystery #1, Robots coming alive cliche, and Vague Mystery #2

>nothing really happens
>just milking the storyline by going at a slow pace
>they're watching the guests and robots, but don't see ed harris scalping a robot and looking for some maze
>there are knives, explosives and blunt objects which guests can use to kill other guests, making the whole point of having guns that don't shoot guests pointless

sounds like the apple falls far from the tree

>75165360
Opinion discarded with extreme prejudice.

I left out the McPoyle because I don't see him going past a few more episodes.

>vague mystery #2
What the fuck? They literally just set it up to be the plot of the next episode.

user,
It's ok that you don't like the show. It really is.

But what you see as a "vague mystery" I see as an interesting plot development

We haven't seen anything outside of the park or the office, a grand total of two settings.

>he thinks Lost ever got better after the first season

Why do you think it's important to know what life is like outside the park?

It's not a plot development if the story has no direction and things are so ambiguous literally anything can happen.

Man, don't even bother. Two episodes in and the show is already cultivating fanboys. Not to mention the show is confirmed to be long running so get ready for the endless stream of hacky blue balling by the writers.

Season 2 of Lost is better than season 1 though

also
>a whole sub-basement filled with old robots
>some turn on, because they keep their batteries fully charged because ???

Not him but I'd just like to see the state of the world and what normal life is like/what time period it appears to be

*RETARD ALERT RETARD ALERT*

I don't think he left Lost, though? I know Fringe for sure got better after he stopped giving two shits about it and other people took the reins.

We have no reason to see anything outside the office or the park.

>2 episodes in
You can't expect a broad episode delineating literally everything that'll happen.

It adds crucial context to the show and its characters.

>Fringe managed to escape that stupid Abrams shit about
lol, no it didn't.
>I had a friend who loved lost for those reasons.
Why? That's insane like baking cookies for people on your local sex offender's list.

There was nothing to like about the weird ass, esoteric plot of Lost. It was just stupid weird shit that roped people in week after week yet none of it was resolved.

J.J. Abrams is a media pimp. He'll get his shows to fuck you and make you come back for more, but there's no love and there's no resolution.

I'm not sure why you are saying the story has no direction.
>man in black doing weird shit
>Dolores going outside of her normal protocols
>madame hooker having memories and waking up
>Anthony Hopkins doing weird shit in the desert

Yes we do, it's a show about manipulating reality and we have no idea what reality actually is within the context of the show. And there's a big difference between not knowing what will happen and literally anything can happen due to lazy ambiguity.

I bet you couldn't tell any of those composers apart.

2 patrician 4 u m8?

Lost was great because of the characters

50% of that is "weird shit" and the other half could have been gleaned from watching the previews.

Fringe actually handled its story well all the way throughout, though. The observers, Bell, parallel universes, etc. It was well-developed and well-paced (except for the first few episodes of season 4).

>Why?

I told you why at the end.

Then watch fucking reality television.

Plot is essential when you're having a "story". Otherwise you're just jerking off idiot actors and bad writers who are fucking around. Lost was written by crack addicts.

I like the show but I think the criticism leveled against it in these threads is straight up retarded

If after a full season it sucks, then it sucks. But 90% of these threads are full of people complaining about a lack of exposition (aka it's only been two episodes and the show hasn't painstakingly explained every tiny detail) or stupid subjective criticisms like acting and direction. So yeah I'll defend it

Not necessarily. Hopkins said they've cured all disease so:
>it's in the future
>life is presumably good
Fill in the rest.
Or, like I said earlier, watch the show to discover more

I know, I'm judging your friend.

I meant in the context of the plot. If they drag out the McPoyle or start to flesh out the MiB's character I'm sure we'll see the outside world. You just have to give it some time. Honestly I think this whole discussion is happening too early. Nothing is fully fleshed out or set-up, all that we really know is that it's gonna be a slow-burning show (for better or worse).

And this is why you're retarded. Nothing you want is in any way relevant to the story being told. It's like criticizing a sitcom for not mentioning the current state of affairs in Somalia.

Reality television doesn't have well written characters. That's a fucking terrible comparison.

Sure I could. I'm a classically-trained musician and composer. But even an untrained ear wouldn't have much difficulty identifying those composers by their style.

me too, I hate him

>>there are knives, explosives and blunt objects which guests can use to kill other guests, making the whole point of having guns that don't shoot guests pointless

I think there is some programming to stop robots from killing the human guests. when cyclops try to shoot Harris on head, he simply can't.

No it isn't. Who the fuck needs a show that's "interesting characters" with no point or plot?

Go watch some Kardashian shit.

Again, that's a shit comparison. It's painfully obvious you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Character writing is just as important as plot.

Can confirm. Amateur musician here and can tell them apart largely based on the choices they make in melodies and orchestration.

Remember when they shut down production on Westworld so that the writers could "catch up on writing" and re-write the ending?

cinemablend.com/television/Westworld-Having-Some-Serious-Problems-Get-Details-112387.html

I'm not expecting this thing to end in any better shape than it started in.

My problem is precisely that it's been 2 episodes and we still have no real idea where the show is heading. We're left so in the dark and none of the characters or concepts have been properly introduced making them feel extremely one dimensional and directionless. I'm not asking for everything to literally be spelled out but for the love of god give me some better writing. It feels like we've been tossed into the middle of the season.

what guy, teddy? I think I remember some women guests ogling him

>Character writing is just as important as plot.
Exactly my point. Lost sucked asshole because they focused on character writing and huffed gasoline when they should have been focusing on plot.

"Oh shit, the show is canceled, WHAT HAVE WE DONE AND WHAT DO WE DO?!?!" is not place to start good writing.

You will never give a fuck about the plot if you don't care about the characters. Lost is great because it has well written characters that play off each other very well. The situation they're placed in allows for interesting character interaction and development. These situations also reveal more about the characters throughout the show.

We're not left in the dark at all. It's based on a Michael Crighton movie from the 70's. The robots all start to revolt and destroy the theme park in the end.

>Remember when they shut down production on Westworld so that the writers could "catch up on writing" and re-write the ending?
Sounds like J.J. sticking his dick in the writing and fucking up the plot, honestly.
>But, Mr. Abrams, that doesn't make sense, you see we already have an outline we're working on-"
>J.J. "HOW DARE YOU! I want the maze plot to go forward and I don't care if it doesn't make sense to you! Take this man away, have him circumcised and executed! BRING ME MY DREIDEL AND SWEET WINE!"

It sounds like you have Stockholm syndrome.

Lost sucked and the writers, including JJ were like drug pushers keeping you addicted for rating and dumping you when they were just "done".

I wonder if that's related to them changing this WW logo in post

Haha honestly, you're right. Like when JJ decided to cut all of L. Skywalker's scenes out of TFA.

Does anyone else but me consider him an obvious ripoff of Laurence fishburne? They want him to feel like a Morpheus style character but he just can't pull it off.

If you think the outside world is somehow irrelevant to the story being told then you're a fucking moron.

He acts nothing like Morpheus or Fishbourne in general, what a strange comparison.

>two episodes in and people are already bitching
damn

what did he mean by this?

I have a theory that the total asshole "Narrative" writer character is based on J.J. and that's their only way for other writers to express their hatred.

The style and acting do feel like a poor mans Morpheus to me, but ok.

Nah, I don't get that impression at all. He comes off as someone who's incredibly detached from his own humanity. That's not a Morpheus trait at all.

That's less theory and more wishful thinking.

Yes. It's clearly leading up to a slave rebellion.

Which isn't very Asimov and would be boring.

In Asimov, the robots were never the "bad guys" it was always the humans who made the problems and for varied and interesting ways.

I like that except JJ never woulda let it slip through if that were the case.

Is it just me or does that actress have wonderful giant breasts?

>In Asimov, the robots were never the "bad guys" it was always the humans who made the problems

What about that AI that developed a hyperdrive that temporarily sent its crew to hell so they could survive the jump?

I do, but I don't mind him

how you get someone to go along with it, is you make them think it's their idea.

he played the same scientist character in Source code

That AI was "playing a joke" on the crew, not killing them by exposing them to the void of nothingness during the hyperdrive experiment.

In the end, our spunky astronaut duo was unharmed and the AI giggled. Come on, if you read the book you'd know.

Shit ain't funny, but it HAS been awhile since I read it. Really liked those stories

>that presidential candidate

Bahahahaha

Nothing wrong, it is brilliant so far.

I don't think the robots are going to be the bad guys here, either, at least not unambiguously.

Also, these aren't robots.

Bernard is a robot; the old guy made him.

>1. The man in black...How many of these "western satan" types do we need to see? The Stand anyone?
The man in black is a trope much older then the stand. They are playing it legit and subverting it at the same time.

>2. All the women are hookers, except for the really dumb blond robot. She's just madly in love with another idiot who gets killed every night.
Umm - this is just false.

- Programmer
- Exec
- Outlaw
And that just the first epsisode.

>3. The music sounds exactly like the Game of Thrones music.
you are not paying attention to the music.

>4. The opening titles sequence looks exactly like the Game of Thrones sequence (I know it's different images, but the speed of the shots and the editing is really similar).
Shots are slower..

>We have zero context for what is happening on the show, and it's not being doled out in a measured or artful manner.
Are you watching the same show I have been?

I think that the acting is really strong through the tv show. All the actors playing the hosts are really really good. I keep forgetting that they're actually humans and not robots. The old guy/robot that Anthony Hopkins was talking to was particularly good.

When Asimov wrote it was robots, but there and in this case, yes they are androids. Feel better?

Bill was based as fuck, jerky motors and all.

what are you lacking information on?

I do. Thank you.

Felt like a second pilot, this time more newcomer focused. Hopefully it's takes off around epsiode 5 and 6... right now it's way too much teasing and sub-plots

Bill was excellent.

Haha stop trying to pull the "ancient archetype" card in regards to the ed harris character. It's a fucking cliche and you know it.

To be precise, all androids are robots but not all robots are androids.

Originally there was going to be a 2 hour pilot.

Instead they felt it worked much better with episode 1 building up the concept, and episode two moving the plot forward.

>Feminists will defend this.

It's hot how she just uses the host for her sexual gratification.

Wasn't this actress starring in Max Landis' "Me Him Her" movie?

Show is a western
claims it is a rip off of the stand.

It is as old as Chaucer, and even silent era westerns had "man in black" as a bad guy.

He chooses to embrace it. Him. The character himself. You think he's not aware of what role he's choosing to play? That's the point of him.

Man in black is a trope in westerns for decades user. It was a trope/cliche in the 1970s when the movie was made with the evil gunslinger who dressed in black.

Daily reminder that Ghost in the Shell awaits you if you would like to have some more thought through ideas on...
Robots prostitution
Exploiting human whose job is making robots
Men's obsession with dolls
The ethics of treating animals, humans and robots

I've seen the movie and enjoyed it. Is stand alone complex any good?
Ill have to rewatch the movie if I do watch that because it was quite a few years ago that I saw it

How don't people get bored? You can only kill hosts. All it seems to be is a kill/fuck/eat/treasure hunt sim. Wouldn't people get bored after doing everything?

I remember someone saying something similar for Ex Machina, that the nerdy guy testing the cute lady fembot was actually a robot himself that was being tested.

You mean like an MMO?

I though that too, but one of the guests said the same thing after bedding the robot prostitutes. I'm guessing there are various levels to the scenario and they change it up after a while.

I suppose that's what the maze is for. The further out you go, the more willing they are to inflict pain on you.

they're pretty good yeah

Television

Haha lol

giant? not really. Wonderful? absolutely. She's a poorman's ratajkowski

>It's a fucking cliche and you know it.
More evidence it's JJ.

>ctrl+f kino
>0 of 0
wtf this is kino

if you were going to make a 'theme park' thing like this, wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to do a vr like total recall thing?

As someone else said, they pick the bodies up in period dress up. Did you not see the first episode ,you unused seamen?

I think there's going to be a lot of people who aren't going to like the slow pace. Right now there is a lot of world build up, but people are going to miss obvious plot points, like this dumbass right here: I was a fan of West World and Futureworld so I really like all the throw backs so far. I don't know if those two are canon yet but it definitely feels like it could be.

I'm going to keep watching it, it's definitely not fast paced, but I do like a lot of the elements happening right now. Like Ed Harris's character still playing a game and following a story line (all the while he's doing other sneaky shit).

I'm glad they didn't go with VR or something else along those lines, because the whole point of the original film was that people had this god like control of the environment. They built this tiny isolated world that was supposed to be perfect, they wanted to be better then god, but then shit goes wrong and they fuck themselves over. You really can't have that with VR and besides VR has been played out.

Just to clarify, what is your definition of a Definite Mystery?

Did you feel a burning desire to know about the outside world in Jurassic Park?

Easier is kind of an overstatement, robot/AI movies always do the "can't hurt humans" shit but the creators wouldn't be able to consistently promise that putting guests minds into the world would have no repercussions.

Dolores hasn't gone badass and save teddy while kicking black hat's teeth in yet. I want to see him get rekt already, what a cunt.

Yes. It deserves to be free to toast whatever bagels it desires.

>the facility is built ontop of a cliff
This seems like a really bad idea.

When was this?

Where is Roman world?

Except we literally saw them go down there in labcoats and shit you moron.

>until then they just leave the bodies

There would be dozens of bodies and missing story lines by just the second day then, that makes no sense either.

I keep thinking we're going to get a WWZ style attack with all the robots climbing the cliff, if they do its gonna be stupid

> cuck

gud 1 cuck cluck clan

what the fuck happens if a guest suddenly gets back to human size?

>implying he won't keep raping her

Teddy pls go

Dolores a best girl

Why is she so perfect lads

because she's literally been engineered to be perfect

I saw an interview where Nolan cited god tier waifu simulator BioShock Infinite as an inspiration

This show is a perpetual intellectual orgasm. I bet other folks with IQ over 160 will agree

Dolores will do the raping this time. That or her horse.

>Dolores will do the raping this time

It's a pretty shitty game if you think about it
>you can do anything!
>quests with no incentive, I'd be less willing to kill a questgiver if I get like a unique cosmetic item at the end of a quest
>No unique drops when you kill an NPC
>loot doesn't carry over
>No trading mechanic (see above)
>No guilds
>No fast travel
>You're stuck with the class you start with, and theres one class you can play i.e yourself. Hell if im paying 12k for a game, I should be able to pick up a guitar and belt out a ballad to buff my party.
>No xp or progression. You're playing on god mode. Server resets after each play.

if Westworld was a game, it would be a fucking walking/dating simulator. 4/10.

never thought id say it, but this dogshit makes jonah hex look like a masterpeice

Is like being handsome, smart, having 10M dollars, youth and health... not such a bad game after all, specially if your parents loved you growing up

You make the homeless guy on the street look like a masterpiece

Sure is Cred Forums in here.

>popular thing

>ITS TERRIBLE PURE CANCER

>watch it anyway

not much
so far I am enjoying it

except it's in real life and feels just like real life instead of you staring at a tiny screen in your mother's basement while eating cheetos.

I mean if you go for 30 years like black coat bad guy man then obviously god mode will get old fast but most people just do one or two short visits.

>>HOW DO THEY REPAIR THE ROBOTS EVERY CYCLE?
I honestly thought they didnt really need to be repaired, like the bullet just activated some blood loss and told them to play dead, it would be considerably cheaper and it would also explain why the bullets dont hurt humans, after seeing episode 2 I realized I was wrong.

nothing it's the best show on Cred Forums right now

There's nothing that pisses me off more than watching movies with my mom and she just gets upset and says I don't get it. Like have you ever heard suspension of belief?

Is it true Cred Forums?

Are you joking?

Just talking to those amazing new beings, lloking at them, would be amazing. What game are you talking about? Life is a game only before you start living, including games themselves. You want to be Hannibal and the black dude on this series, not Ed or the playwriter

I knew shit was exactly (well not really but very alike) dollhouse the moment I saw the traielrs for the first time, it doesnt help that both series have the same faggot behind them (JJ muh big stronk independant women Abrams) at least this one doesn't have wooden acting, I mean Elisa fucking Dusku, talking about fucking your way into Hollywood

But it not like dollhouse, outside of having a main character as a robot.

>meme robots/"notrobots" have a memory wipe after every mission/reset
>dollhouse not robots were used in many different roles
>westworld robots repeat the same roel everyday while only doing small changes to their daily activities

Good God, yes. Even the intro is genius.

they've given us what we need to know for the story being told

we dont need to know about the outside world in jurassic park

we dont need to know about the space wars in blade runner (you know the ones mentioned by the replicants)

we dont need to see what earth is like in Avatar

we dont need to see the earth in Alien

we dont need to see the Predator planet in Predator

we dont need to see the outside world in The Thing

we dont need to see every fucking detail you walking abortion

I can't figure out what the fuck you're trying to say

>So, what went wrong, Cred Forums?

slow weekly schedule. people have 6 days between episodes to theorycraft a bunch of bullshit (some of which will be right) and the show will end up becoming a victim of its own mystery just like L O S T.

if there we was ever a case for hbo to release a whole season on their stream site, its this show.