I don't get this scene

I don't get this scene.

Karma's a bitch? Is this why Brolin's, Harrelson's and just about everybody in the film dies?

However, Chigurh does not die. So what is the real meaning behind it?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/75062682/#75063604
archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/75004414/#75009300
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

There is no Justice in this world. Its always been this way. Bad shit happens to people. The End

Based on real events. I mean, there is more to it then just Karma. He was the guy who believed in luck and not Karma. He flipped a coin and said that's what decides life and death. It's not something you control it's just something that happens.

that's the reality of the movie, at least.\

That whole symbolism just went RIGHT OVER YOUR HEAD you're saying?

It is interesting, but the movie did fail at some points. It's mostly because the side story with Tommy Lee kind of went opposite of the Chigurh's and that's what's confusing. They ended with that as well, which is just what made it worse.

Frankly I don't know why they had that in there except to contrast the amoral to the moral but even then it's just dumb. They could have freed up more time to focus on the better plot points, like the different characters actual deaths.

It's not karma, it's to show that even the seemingly unstoppable force of the inevitable is also subject to the unknowable and harm

"You'll never see it coming" was the tagline if the movie poster iirc, the world is indifferent to you, it's why brolin was killed off screen

Never take stuff that doesn't belong to you.

If he'd [Brolin] have left that money none of the characters would have died.

Thanks senpais

I thought he was just showing off that he's a bad ass death reaper kind of character by the coin tosses.

>to contrast the amoral to the moral

You have to be at least 18 to post here

To be quite honest, the movie shows him off as a foil character so I can see what user means by that.

Haven't read the books at all.

I'd have taken one or two of the guns and a couple stacks of cash desu. I'd spill the suitcase on the ground so it looked like wind or something blew away some of the stacks.

Well I'd do this all now I mean since I've seen the movie

How much money do you estimate each of those stacks contain anyway?

That's a smart move, senpai

What?

Jones' character acts as a sort of observer for the whole theme of the film, something that you notices as you grow older and he thinks it's simply a sign of the times

His arc perfectly sums up the whole film, and it's reconciled towards the end as he comes to terms with his age and the next path(s) of his life

Only a pleb would complain about off screen deaths

>There is no Justice in this world. Its always been this way. Bad shit happens to people. The End

Is that really the lesson you want to teach your children?

And you wonder why they grow up to be psychos.

I can't remember what the bills were exactly but a stack of 100s is 10,000 and a stack of of 20s is 2,000. I'd take 3-5 stacks. I'd have more fun with an unregistered automatic gun though. Especially in Texas where there is plenty of huge empty areas to fire off.

He's always at least 2 steps behind the whole case, he's the complete opposite of Chigurh. That's what I meant about it.

I actually didn't finish reading his post, now that you mentioned "off screen deaths", I think that was a nice touch to the movie.

It's 10k for hunnid stacks, 5k for fifties, 2k for twenties, 1k for tens, 500 for fives

This isn't a movie for children.

I never knew stacks were fixed values.
I just thought that they'd fill the stack until it no longer allows to add in more bills.

really really dont understand this movie

>protagonist dies off screen in a non event
>'it was all a dream' ending
>villian survives, setting up the inevitable sequel
>no score to add to the atmosphere of the movie

Cant see how it reviewed so favorably.

LOL no no no no, this is why we use DICE in D&D to simulate how shit goes down IRL. Even with all the skill, or the best laid plans of Mice and Men ruination still comes.

Karma thing that shows up in movies a lot is mostly because of censorship boards, and not actually reflective of art/life.

This scene represents that he is not a God and he can also be killed by a mere accident.

The problem wasn't the off screen death, but when they showed him dead it was hard to recognize the actor from the weird angle, and the director admits later to the mistake because they didn't have time to reshoot and thought it looked okay. It was a part that was rushed and one of the bigger flaws, until you know who the fuck it was.

If you do an off-screen death you at least have to make sure that the audience is aware of it or else it just seems like a poor script. It's something a lot of people ended up going "OOOOOOOOOOOOO" when they found it.

It's not like it was a mystery, he's lying there in the door way.

>posting this again when you were told last time that you were retarded
You have some shit b8 senpai.

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/75062682/#75063604

Oh yeah and here's one more occasion.

archive.4plebs.org/tv/thread/75004414/#75009300

But his arc didn't really need to be reconciled. Coming to terms with his age was never really a theme or a part of the plot. It was about change in times, but not about an old man getting older. but since the main character is dead, they had nothing else to play onto opposed to Chigurh.

But in some ways there was a Karma with Chigurh too since he wasn't acting out of evil, but out of chance too. It wasn't greed like Moss.

hehe, trolled kiddo

>I-I was merely p-p-pretending
Back to /r9kuck/ with your frog shit.

This is some of the best bait I have ever seen

So I'm not the only one who was confused as fuck by Brolin's death? I thought he was just a Mexican who'd been killed and was confused the whole time when his wife was all sad. Though I should have known then, only ended up finding out what happened when I went on fucking wikipedia. I'm a retard though.

Just glad that other people had trouble recognizing him in that shot to be honest.

????
It wasn't about a change in times, it WAS about a man getting older

Did you forget the whole story about the natives and the dying man? "What you got here ain't new, this country's always been hard"

No Country for Old Men is the damn name of the film, karma had absolutely nothing to do with the film at all

You are a child.

It's of course not that simple, the book preaches a slightly more nuanced version of practical nihilism

>chigurh represents determinism, the consequence of a post-god atomic determinism
>Llewellyn represents post-god morals
>chigurh getting fucked over means that the universe isn't exactly deterministic, it just seems that way because of chaos
>The sheriff represents religious traditionalism

The whole thing taken together, is about american society and the degredation of american morals. Do not take this as some ignorant "red pilled" Cred Forums reading. The degredation is inevitable, divine driven morality isn't enough to combat godless evil, because godless evil acknowledges and respects chaos and divinity driven morality doesn't.

>all these big reddit words

Back to r/film you go

>watch this movie with my family
>talking the whole fucking time
>lmao user what's going on I missed what happened xD
>this movies stupid the main guy dies off screen and nothing happens to the weird guy!
>what was even the point of this movie that was fucking stupid

I'm sorry but you have to be retarded to not realize that was lou ellen lying dead there

I guess it was more of the audience's problem.

I knew it was Brolin the first time his body came out with all the crimescene people.

random chaos and disorder rule our world and it's degrading us and our society, kinda like what Tommy Lee Jones kept getting on about, as I took it. Him getting in that accident was just to show how pervasive it was.

Nice essay, pretty interesting but the book is different from the movie, you think the coen bros considered all that contrived bullshit? Get the fuck outta here

The point of the film isn't some new type of degradation, it's the opposite, the book may be that way but the film isn't

I know this is bait but the movie really is about those themes
Because the book is and the author is obsessed with existentialism particularly the Nietzschean morality

exactly. The scene with Carla Jean crying and Ed Tom removing his hat to her didn't make any lightbulbs go off?

Why would you willingly watch movies with people who are incapable of doing so?

>using the term post-god
You're an idiot, thinking of atheism/secularism as some logical linear next step of belief, wtf does post-god even mean?

Did people never have disbelief in god before the post-god era?
Jesus Christ, kys

Correction: If you find 2 million dollars, you immediately search it for a locater, dont go take the near dead Mexican drug runner that you left to bleed out for like twelve fucking hours some water, and you at the very least leave the state you found said money in.

One of my friends said why didn't he take the drugs. How the fuck you gonna find someone to move that much heroin without getting yourself killed?

The only important scene they are missing is the one where Llewellyn is implied to cheat. He dies "off-screen" right afterwards.

It doesn't really matter what the Cohen brothers think about the movie since they portrayed the book accurately, with that one exception. If you ask me intent is irrelevant in art, execution is everything. If the book was portrayed accurately then it inevitably has much if not all of the same themes.

But they probably did understand it because all of the Cohen Brothers movies are about Existentialism and Nihilism, some wayyyy more than others. They are used to dealing with these themes and obviously think about them a lot.

>lou ellen

I've slowly been testing them to see what movies they can follow.

I'm probably going to end up murdering them, they couldn't even follow the plot of smoking aces.

Isn't it obvious from the very second we see the dead woman floating in the pool that something terrible happened to him? The last time we see him alive he's at the motel talking to a woman by the pool. I dunno I just don't get the confusion. I understood it immediately and I'm actually pretty slow and have a hard time following movie plots

I have mixed feelings about the accident.
I enjoy the parallel of paying for clothes, and his interaction with the kids is quite good. Still, it feels like it would be better if he died. Since he just walks off, it feels a bit pointless. I guess you could say that's the point though: things just happen. And if he died, people would misunderstand it as him 'getting what he deserved.'
Getting hit but surviving feels like a middle-ground between emphasizing Chigurh as this unstoppable force of nature and the way things just happen, and both points feel a bit weaker as a result. I suppose it doesn't stop him after all, but still.

Uh oh, I triggered a religious fag.

It's not the logical next step, it's about the inevitable DOUBT that the spread of information creates.

If you think "god is dead" is an atheistic statement you need to read Nietzsche a little more carefully next time.

>he didnt read the book to fully understand

Sure the film has some nihilistic aspects, but religion is usually kept out of their films, at least in a nonsecular/values sort of way, there's no hint of religious traditionalism with the sheriff, he might mention god or so but the fact is most people that didn't read the book who understood the film correctly would've never guessed all that crap you said

So yeah, it's actually pretty different, all that shit could not have been injected into the film, especially not with the coen bros, and it's a good thing it wasn't, that sounds pretty stupid desu

It's a weakness either way. I assumed he died, but in that shot he really did look like a random Mexican.
It should have been plain as day and jarring seeing him dead in that doorway. The poor shot makes the whole thing a bit muddled.

Well then it was mistake in tone.

t. triggered christ-fag

"god is dead" isn't an anti-theistic statement and if you think it is you should honestly kill yourself.

post-god simply means an age where religious doubt is more common than absolute belief

I figured he was dead, I didn't figure they showed his body...

Nietzschean philosophy is partly outdated and filled with things that are basically common sense to us now with modern media, hate to break it to you, might make you feel like an intellectual reading that crap and all, doubt is something that has always existed and religion is on the rise more than ever

I'm not religious, but if you think we've disproved god, or think we can, then you're pretty dense

McCarthy is a hack, and so are you

Can "where does he work?" be a spicy new meme?

>shitty opinion written by someone with a shitty command of their own first language

Back to Cred Forums you go

Half my family are okay to watch movies with and the other half are retarded and won't shut up.

Not an argument.

Neither is anything you've written in this thread, just a bunch of words that say nothing.

>muh hack buzzword
>dogmatically defending religiosity

Back to Cred Forums or Cred Forums, take your pick manchild.

From what I can tell the book was more about the Sheriff hence why his arc seemed to be so important. The movie obviously focused on him the least, so there didn't really need to be such an importance on him. I think even without the final scene the movie already stated that clearly.

The same reason they didn't show Moss death was no need to say everything and explain it all. There was a fine art done. honestly that final scenes kind ruin it.

He's there talking about his dreams and the scene before that with that with the old timer is really just saying the same fucking thing. like what the fuck?

> doubt is something that has always existed and religion is on the rise more than ever

I never said it didn't always exist, and extreme ideology is on the rise more than ever, I would say that includes religion, but it also includes atheistic morality sets like marxism. It corresponds with the rise in desire for authoritarian regimes because that is what chaos demands. It's absolutely disingenuous religion based on delusion. You can crack your modern christian with a tap on the forehead and watch them twitch, you think you could do that with a well studied monk back when religion was a personally driven pursuit rather than one dictated and bastardized in a megachurch?

You're the one with the most buzzwords in this thread, which all amount to nothing but abstractions out of touch with the real world, by late19th century incoherent philosophy

But that's what smart people read isn't it? It's not largely contemporary masturbatory reading for those impassionate about philosophy altogether that think it gives them a truer grasp on the world

First post, best post.

Now every theist is a megachurch going lunatic?

Look, I don't even wanna argue about that statement, my main point was that all that said of the original book's whole theme was ridiculously contrived and silly, the film is good without being so heavy handed and without being reduced to shitty logic to that simplification of society and degradation and yadda yadda

Would you have preferred them to make that the theme instead ? Is it not too complex for a single movie by mainstream directors?

kek what a faggot

Are you kidding me?

Jones, or Sheriff Bell, couldn't comprehend the change in the world. He constantly romanticized his 'world'; how back in his day kids were punished for saggy pants at school and now they get caught with drugs and guns and so on. And back in his day crimes were less violent, at least in his county.

He's scared of the new world, like we are are -- or more, we are scared of change. McCarthy touches on the idea that it doesn't matter whether you live 'good' or 'bad', moral or amoral,, you could get a cattle gun to the head tomorrow or find a stash of money belonging to the cartel the next. No luck, no fate, just random chance.

No country for old men. It's in the title. Please go back to plebb*t

That's another person you absolutely deluded moron.
>incoherent philosophy
Sweet opinion
>abstractions out of touch with the real world
not an argument
>But that's what smart people read isn't it? It's not largely contemporary masturbatory reading
So what, it seems pretentious to you so you write off one of the most influential authors in philosophy? You care to back up any of your claims? Most critics of Nietzsche come from a position of fundamentally misunderstanding him as hard-line anti-theistic and nihilistic. Once you stop reading him as some radically different edgy philosopher, you can begin to understand that he is clearly an incredibly valuable philosopher.
>impassionate about philosophy
what a baseless and emotive argument to make

If you think "God is dead" has anything to do with proof of god's existence then you don't understand the argument.

And you might disagree with nihilist/existentialist/nitzschean/whatever themes, but that diesn't make them invalid as (obvious) interpretations of the movie. If you think along the lines of "I disagree with the author's worldview, that makes it bad art!" then you have abdolutely nothing to contribute in a discussion of the artwork's meaning.

Now kindly fuck off you contrarian kiddo.

>McCarthy is a hack

>lou ellen

kek'd so fucking hard, I don't even know why

yeah, surely I got trolled

>Now every theist is a megachurch going lunatic
find where I said or implied this
the megachurch is simply the personification of disingenuous religion, I could go in detail as to what is wrong with modern religion, but to make it in terms I think you might agree with it seems very soulless to me.

> original book's whole theme was ridiculously contrived and silly, the film is good without being so heavy handed and without being reduced to shitty logic to that simplification of society and degradation
I mean my description is a crude one. My main point was people confuse the book and movies meaning to imply nihilism, and I just simply state that not every system with chaos in it is nihilistic.

>ould you have preferred them to make that the theme instead ? Is it not too complex for a single movie by mainstream directors?

I think the movie did a great job making the themes clear. I think it comes off as nihilistic to people because of the scene they cut from Llewellyn's story where he "sins" right before he gets killed, which by the way also happens "off-screen" in the book as well.

Are you talking about the implied fucking of the hitchhiker at the motel?

>because of the scene they cut from Llewellyn's story where he "sins" right before he gets killed, which by the way also happens "off-screen" in the book as well.

I'm not sure there was any religious connotation there. Can you elaborate? Ed Tom only talks about God with Ellis, and the crux of that whole conversation was Ellis telling Ed that "what you got ain't nothin' new."

He didn't believe in luck he believed in the divine "force of nature" bullshit.
It wasn't luck that decided the flipped coin, the universe did and he was just following the natural will of the universe.

You know that's fake right?
You probably shouldn't post it again.

This.

It's a moving-on retirement movie.

Seemingly decent people can make mistakes, others can pay for those mistakes with their lives, and the whirlwind of fate can, at any particular moment, buttfuck anybody in its path.

However, as a person who is dedicated to upholding the law and pursuing justice, you find that your quarry is perhaps just a little bit more cunning than you initially thought? Don't worry. Complain to your friend, go home to your wife, sleep it off and tell her the next morning about a fucking dream you had about your fucking father.

You'll feel better afterwards.

Pro-tip: if you're going to make a morality tale based on the inescapability of fate and/or death, don't play it out as a thriller then take a steaming shit on the audiences' collective faces. Play it out as a fucking DRAMA.

Is this bait? Jesus christ.

>side story
Sheriff's the protagonist pal

>"""""people""""" liked this snoozefest

>McCarthy is a hack
>God is dead is about disproving God

Stay in school, kids.

He broke his code by killing Llwelyn's wife. He then got punished for it.

>American education

>Every movie needs to be about teaching an important moral to children

I guess it's fitting your reaction image is of a children's cartoon, please stick to them and stop trying to apply their logic to cinema. This is an 18+ movie, not for teaching children how to live

Why was he such a dick to that dude who owned the gas station? Like that guy didn't do anything wrong but he still wanted to fuck with him and kill him

YTMND already did it baby.

>watching movies with normal people
>watching this movie with normal people

luck, divine force of nature, the goddess eris, chaos, Fortuna, the colors of the wind, fucking call it whatever you want you hippie.

Is suppose to be, but for the first half it didn't feel that way, so again, a mistake of tone. The movie is still really good but it's not GOAT 10/10. There's flaws, but I still liked it more then There will be Blood or Into the Wild, but Micheal Clayton and Zodiac were better, all of these came out... wow 2007 was a fucking amazing year...

>Is this why Brolin's, Harrelson's and just about everybody in the film dies?

The reason for that is: it's not really a good movie to be honest.

>No country for Old Men
>my favorite movie for kids

It's been 9 years and this movie still haven't been beaten.
Will a perfect movie like this ever come again?

Chigurh won his coin-toss, the others didn't

>thinks it's real

non-American education

llewlyn pretty much handed her to him after yknow he died