Is there a fantasy series left that even has the potential to remotely rival any of the LotR films...

Is there a fantasy series left that even has the potential to remotely rival any of the LotR films? Not talking about the trilogy as a whole, but just a single one of them. Does source material even exist? Is there any work of literature that has the potential to be turned into something that can come close? I mean, Hollywood sure as hell wont come up with a non-shit plot themselves. Please tell me that there is a fantasy book series that has the potential if it wasnt drowned in CGI shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-4HPc3UfSQc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think if someone respectfully adapted the Arthurian legend it would come close. A lot of similar themes and tone after all.

Dune.

Witcher series would have the potential, but certainly not done by Hollywood. They could only ruin it.

it's not the source, but the execution. I mean come on, it is almost 2017

see: hobbit would be a fine 3 hour movie

and your answer is silmarillion + countless others

Beserk.

Hollywood is beginning to look towards anime for inspiration now that its sucked western comic books/cartoons/literature dry. Capeshit is dying and box office numbers are proving it.

Anime adapted hollywood films will be the next big thing and people will say how much they like anime and manga as 'le quirky nerdy things like they do now with comic books and superheros.

The source material for Lord of the Rings is just so obscenely detailed that I don't think anything else can even come close. Tolkein made up three different languages for the books and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Glorantha

I really enjoyed the Malazan series and it defineatly has a big scope, but I can't see the whole series translating well to film, too many characters. As a single film following WhiskeyJack and the Bridge Burners maybe.

The Myth series, fantastic games with a great story

>Witcher

No, fuck off with that Mary Sue anime-tier bullshit

Why those fake-Slavs love the shit series so much is beyond my understanding

Off the top of my head, Dune and the Arthas story, if done right.

This is definitely one option.

This could be interesting if they didn't give the high fantasy treatment but made the fantasy elements a bit more subtle.

Lotr is possibly THE most lore rich book in circulation (I would love an user to prove otherwise) which makes the world building so much easier.

I think a Dune or a malazan adaptation done right could rival lotr. A decent lovecraftian adaptation would also be good

Earthsea done right or Chronicles of Amber.

>major audiences want to see Howard the Duck: Fantasy Edition

This. Arthurian legend is incredibly rich and detailed, if handled right it could definitely be turned into a huge fantasy franchise. That's why I'm kind of mad about the upcoming Guy Ritchie version; it looks like it has very little to do with actual Arthurian myth and will probably be terrible. If it flops, nothing Arthurian will get made for years.

Conan could also work well for a low fantasy series. It has a detailed world and lots of stories.

The only mary sue is Ciri, Geralt can barely a handful of bandits at once in the novels.

Obviously they will base shit on the games so he will be a serial killer

I second the Malazan setting and plotlines as a whole, but a lot of liberties would have to be taken with the source material to have it translate well to the silver screen.
That said, the plot to an amazing 3-hour epic is hidden in Gardens of the Moon somewhere, you just have to cut a lot of background material and silly lore to get to it.

I've warmed up to the idea that, hypothetically, a good Lovecraft adaptation could be done, but it would be nothing like LoTR or any sort of fantasy epic. And it would never sell well both for it being too abstract if done right and modern PC culture would crucify it as soon as Salon published a easy hits article about how Lovecwaft was wacist wah.

There is, though, enough material there, you're right, but it would never be profitable and if it was it would be horrible for what they would have to change with it.

Stop jerking off to lotr its the most vanilla shit ever

ASOIAF fight me faggots

I feel like the first book of the Locke Lamora series would be a neat film. Book 2 and 3 should be left alone entirely. The world is pretty cool too if you keep it on a small scale

>lovecraft

Kek no

>Book 2 should be left alone entirely
It's literally Book 1 on steroids. I agree about book 3, though. So boring, and Sabetha was disappointing to boot.

I felt 2 didn't really have that spark that book 1 had

Paksenarrion

/Thread

Warcraft sequels could definitely rival LotR
youtube.com/watch?v=-4HPc3UfSQc

she gets raped

there's already Excalibur

Belgariad

the books are more love stories that action/fantasy. I don't know what it says of the lore of the world though.

is this flick any good?

ASOIAF > LOTR

Anything Dune-related would have to involve Brian Herbert and inevitably suck out loud.

Some kind of Warhammer Fantasy movie would be good if they didn't half-ass it. Also the Witcher (books not games obviously).

I don't think Excalibur will ever be topped, and I think Conan's become too associated with Arnold for for general audiences to give a shit about anyone else playing him.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen series.

The Chain of Dogs would make a real good movie.

You could easily do it with the Warcraft 3 storyline.

it really isn't

The name of the wind

Zelda

in terms of story, the forgotten realms has very deep lore and lots of people are familiar with "dungeons and dragons". but i doubt anything will get made after their last trainwreck of a movie

I think a Drizzt movie or TV series has the potential to be way better than LotR

>capeshit is dying and box office numbers are proving it

lol no wtf are you talking about

>Is there a fantasy series left that even has the potential to remotely rival any of the LotR films?

No. This is an objective truth and fact that reflects the reality of this universe. If you don't agree, you are literally wrong.

Wheel of Time comes to mind.

There is still tons of fantasy out there.

I'd love some Brandon Sanderson stuff, Mistborn or Warbreaker could do really well as a movie.