Since I wasn't watching it while we had threads, what did you and all think about Californication?

Since I wasn't watching it while we had threads, what did you and all think about Californication?

When I started it I thought it was extremely formulaic and uninspired but having forced myself through the first 1 and a half seasons it really grew on me. I'd probably re-watch it for fun someday.

This scene struck close to home
youtu.be/i-NEbbXsTEk

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jol95TYkNyk
youtube.com/watch?v=rwHjzkc9w_Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the show just does the same stupid shit over and over again. if you've seen one season, you've seen them all.

It's fucking garbage. I stopped watching after the season where he was living out of the hotel after getting back together and breaking up with his ex wife like 20 times already. I watched too far. I'd suggest stopping after the season where he's writing a book about the rock star maybe even before that I don't remember enough about the show.

Not just one season. One EPISODE. There is zero character development, the main character LITERALLY could have his lines written by a dumb markov chain.

OK, well I concede the fact that it isn't TV kino. Personally I thought it was fun enough to have in the background when I was doing other things.

Though this was probably an artistic choice to have the characters really be casual, the acting was a bit unbelievable, like actors trying to act like they're not acting.

They couldn't have picked an uglier girl to play the daughter. It was fine when she was a little kid and it was cute ugly but she didn't grow up and become pretty so she was just ugly and sad.

>dude david duchovny acting like a total bro pussy hound so deep!
Congrats, you're a mega pleb. I bet you enjoyed entourage too.

>Personally I thought it was fun enough to have in the background when I was doing other things.

I do the same thing with certain shows. Californication is garbage, but a perfect show to "half watch" while doing other things.

Honestly, it is my favorite show. It is showtime and so it has a lot of tits and ass, but it really is a beautiful show. I always use this line from the show when someone asks what it is about.

> It sure the fuck isn't about one way pussy. It's about a guy trying to keep it together while falling apart.

Also, the letter to his daughter really got to me. watch these two scenes before deciding to watch it or not.

youtube.com/watch?v=jol95TYkNyk

youtube.com/watch?v=rwHjzkc9w_Q

>He acts so much like a tv character it's jarring
>No one talks about how his books share their names with Slayer songs for some reason
It's pretty shit

Ignore the pretentious faggots. Californication is great fun and, as you said, it's a great show to rewatch and just have playing in the background.

It's interesting that you had to force yourself through the first one and a half season, though, as those seasons are some of the best that the show has to offer. It's really the later season (particularly the last) where the show really loses steam.

The show is pure kino for the first 4 seasons and then only season 6 is good from the last 3. 7 is the biggest pile of dog shit ever.

also, watch Lucifer. It is also Tom Kapinos and the same kind of humor and charm is there.

The lead in Lucifer has none of the charm of David Duchovny

DUDE I SAY CRINGEWORTHY CANNED JOKES WITH THE SAME INTONATION VERY TIME AND SOMEHOW I HAVE YET TO MEET ANY WOMAN MARRIED OR NOT THAT DID NOT WANT TO INSATIABLY PLOW ME 24/7 LMAO

I liked this show. And David makes it better. He's just too likable as a drunk fuck up.

This.

How can someone say that the first seasons sucked? They were great, its just the later seasons that went mostly shit with zero development or in general Hank did the same shit over and over...

and over...and over..

It's a TV show and I'm able to suspend disbelief for the sake of the message.

Yeah well right off the bat with the nun I had no idea what kind of show this was going to be, and admittedly I kind of wanted something a bit more deep like my pleb filter shows, then it got ridiculously fun and easy to marathon once I dropped the expectation for every show to break the mold in writing, acting and symbolism.

The heartfelt scenes were also great in breaking up the silliness.

First season really works as a self contained story, if you care about character development and shit, I think it's best to stop there. Hank had a nice little arc, and everything was wrapped up in a nice sweet package.

The following seasons are pretty much "Hank Moody fucks up again so you can have MOOOORE OF THE SAAAAAME" but it's fun enough if that's what you're after. I enjoyed it.

I remember the final season being complete rubbish though.

I really like it but I fast forward any scene with the ugly insufferable daughter and ex-wife, fuck those bitches and not with a dick

first 4 work best as a single story. season 5 was a time jump reboot and just fucked everything up.

First four seasons are excellent wish fulfillment, and the humor is great. Everything after season 4 is garbage

>wish fulfillment

This really is the reason people watch the show. Hank Moody is meant to be someone the audience can look at it and pretend to be. Even when he gets knocked down its just used as an opportunity for him to redeem himself.

>dude I always have a witty one liner ready and can't stop fucking beautiful strangers lmao

It's a brilliant concept really. As a depressed loser myself, I can identify with his alcoholism and self-destruction while at the same time vicariously living through him as he spouts one witticism after another and fucks hot California girls

It was some great escapism until they ran out of ideas and just started recycling shit in season 5

They're likable in the first two seasons, it's season 3 where they both become insufferable cunts

it's great, apart from the daughter and ex-wife scenes.

I really loved the daughter in the early seasons, she supported her dad and resented the mom. At some point the writers just turned her into the younger version of her bitch mother, not sure why

It's one of those shows that makes you wish you could be a wealthy guy in California who hardly has to work and bangs a bunch of hot sluts but there's no substance to it outside of that

As others have said, the show is no masterpiece (for various reasons: the editing of the first episode was pretty unacceptable, for example) but I enjoyed it anyway. For me it ended after the fourth season - the major storylines were wrapped up and the finale worked as a series finale. Alas, there are three more seasons which decrease in quality to the point where Duchovny stops giving a fuck and is just going through the motions and saying the lines. That and it becomes too outrageous.