Are there any good horror films that capture the same disturbing atmosphere as Junji Ito?

Are there any good horror films that capture the same disturbing atmosphere as Junji Ito?

Hell, I'd settle for just recommendations for good horror films in general beyond The Thing, The Shining and Rosemary's baby. All too often I look at lists of "the best horror movies" and they list films like Black Swan, Let the Right One In, or Pan's Labyrinth, which were all good films but were certainly not horror.

I assume you're ruling out Uzumaki by default, right?

ito works in 2d m8.

I haven't heard good things about the film adaptation, but if it's good I'd be keen to watch. I rarely enjoy film adaptations of something I already liked in another medium though.

c r o n e n b e r g

I wouldn't mind getting eaten by a giant snake women.

>I haven't heard good things about the film adaptation, but if it's good

It isn't, don't bother.

Uzumaki is a really fun movie, though it doesn't even come close to the source material - they made an OAV on Gyo but I've heard it's shit.

Only movie I've seen that really strikes similar notes is Hausu, quite obviously, but I don't know if it'll satisfy your thirst for true horror

You're probably looking for some formalism if you're a fan of Ito. As the other user said Cronenberg's early work is great for this. A good general list might be

>Tetsuo the Iron Man
>964 Pinocchio
>Videodrome
>Shivers
>Rabid
>From Beyond
>The Beyond
>Beyond the Black Rainbow
>Suspiria
>Zombi2
>City of the Living Dead
>House by the Edge of the Cemetery
>Death Powder
>Deep Red
>Prince of Darkness
>Braindead (AKA 'Dead Alive' in the US)

I hope at least one of these is what you're aiming for. I can elaborate on what they're particularly good for if you want, but the general gist of these movies is that they all have an element of the unreal to them.

Hey user, just wanted to say I like your recs and hope more people watch them and this board becomes a better place.

Adding to your list

>Hausu
>Throw Away Your Books: Rally in the Streets (not horror but worth mentioning)
>Electric Dragon 80.000v
>A Field In England

Oh, I almost forgot. Look up "weird" directors like Jeff Keen or Kenneth Anger, they feel connected to this style.

Also Stanley Brakhage but people on here will hate me

>A Field In England
That's an interesting one I remember seeing a couple of years or so ago. Pretty cool premise and Howard Moon has a cameo at the start.

>shivers and rabid but not the brood
bruh
some other good stuff on there tho

she just fucks the kid in that one iirc

maybe pi op

Hausu is very very different to Ito's strain of horror. But it's still a fun movie, so he should watch it anyway.

Try Eraserhead.

I need to check out some of this stuff myself.

I'm looking for more experimental horror stuff myself. I'm in the mood for something really weird and different.

WARNING: DISTURBING-
-Suicide note found in a park in Fuknega prefecture-

When i was a small boy, i caught glimpse of the spirit realm. I saw the ghosts busting their spooky nuts on everything and everyone; and they laughed, and were jovial at the fact of our unawareness to their mischief. They looked at me; looking at them. They began to laugh, and they spoke amongst themselves: ''Look, that one can see us''. After this, i lost the ability to see into the world of the spirits. And i lived my life and i was no different from anyone else. But this was merely a farce. For as i sat and looked upon my friends, my family, and all that i knew. I knew, i always knew; The spirits were nutting on everything that i held dear.-------------Goodbye.

Adding to these:
In the Mouth of Madness
The Fly
eXistenZ
Pi
Altered States
Eraserhead
Lost Highway
Naked Lunch
Messiah of Evil
The Borderlands

Cult (2013) and other movies by Koji Shiraishi.

that sounds dangerous, i only would if i knew it was safe
i'm pretty sure the picture on the right is based off salvador dalhi's movie Un Chien Andalou

Pic related and 80s Cronenberg.

Not even Japanese movie or anime can catch Ito. Because Ito's fun is based on the medium of comic. It is static, wordy, black and white and silent. You can't depict his fun with motion picture anymore than he can capture motion with his drawing.

Besides his horror is not really horror. It's like a joke or satire.

Great, now I'm depressed. You made me remember that Silent Hill game that never came to be. Hideo Kojima, Junji Ito and Guillermo Del Toro working together.

Well you can watch Uzumaki that is actually inspired by the aesthetic of Junji ito's comics.

>actually inspired by the aesthetic of Junji ito's comics.
user it is literally an adaptation of one of his comics.

>satire

I don't think you know what that word means. Faggot.

Not a movie, but "This house has people in it" reminded me of Ito

If you go watch a film and expect it to be on par with Ito's atmosphere, you'll just be disappointed.

Damn, now I really want to read some of his mangas.

If you're looking for atmosphere, then a good starting point is, as it's been said before on this thread, Cronenberg, particularly The Fly and Videodrome. Check out Stuart Gordon's works as well, he does a lot of Lovecraft adaptations and they are mostly good.
Besides the ones already added like and , I'll add
>Martyrs
>Onibaba
>A Page Of Madness
>Hellraiser
>Inferno
>Audition
>Thirst
>Jigoku

Wait, Junji Ito was in on that?

Fuck

>DRR... DRR... DRR...

>GASHUNK GASHUNK

How are you supposed to adapt this into real sounds?