Luke Cage

This is literally one of the best series i have watched by far, the soundtrack is incredible, the cinematography is beyond good, and the characters are literally perfect, especially cottonmouth. It might even come close to the ROME series(which is my all time favorite)..

Why the fuck do i see all those threads that hate it?

Literally give me one reason to why its bad.

Cred Forumstard manbabbys need not apply.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=niqZnjPvwv0
youtube.com/watch?v=3GCzGw3CLVE
youtube.com/watch?v=LA1Di0pSPfY
youtube.com/watch?v=YPiPkSC9UJo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The soundtrack is terrible, the cinematography is beyond bad, and the characters are literally awful, especially cottonmouth.

Objectively wrong.

Give me the reasoning to your conclusion.

t. 12 year old
superheroes movies/series/comics equal crap for retardeds

>objectively wrong

Not an argument

>Give me the reasoning to your conclusion.

Give me the reason to yours.

I wish people who used the word "literally" would fucking die.

While I think there is an argument to made that Luke Cage isnt particularly high quality television you're criticizing its most redeeming aspects. The soundtrack is solid, the cinematography is so-so not bad and the characters, though used in a wonky plot, are all fairly compelling. Also, to claim cottonmouth is espeically awful is ridiculous as he is pretty clearly the most well-written.

But why couldn't Luke Cage be Asian, Latino, or a woman?

>The soundtrack is solid, the cinematography is so-so not bad and the characters, though used in a wonky plot, are all fairly compelling.

The soundtrack is terrible, the cinematography is beyond bad, and the characters are literally awful

its the worst of the three. the point of no return was when he pops on the roof and could just immediately predict a rocket launcher.

>The soundtrack is terrible

youtube.com/watch?v=niqZnjPvwv0

Terrible.

If you unironically spend your time watching black people, you need to reevaluate your life.

Going by my personal way of rating movies and TV shows, this show automatically loses 5 out of 10 points for having a non-white as the main character.

So I'd rather not waste my time watching a show that is terribly mediocre at best.

You're bad at watching television.

Actually you are bad at it.

>the cinematography is beyond good
fresh out of high school huh

Did you go into the show with an unbiased mindset? I just find it hard to believe that anyone who doesnt particularly love Tennant and/or Ritter could find Luke Cage worse than Jessica Jones.
Imo this criticism applies more heavily to Jessica Jones which had a truly awful soundtrack, cinematography that was nothing to speak of at best and really poorly designed characters across the board.

It actually applies heavily to Luke Cage.

Welp, allllllllllllllllllllllllrighty then.

Yep.

i liked the soundtrack, pops and the lady from star trek.

the rest was pretty bad

The characters are retarded and have no reasoning for their actions
I'm not going to kill or punch cottomouth and end all of this because I need to make this 13 episodes
>All I want to do is stay out of trouble
>Walk head first into trouble and get nosey about criminal activity

Hey guys i'm a crooked cop except i'm not really on pay roll yet but i've killed a guy, got your money and weapons and nobody has asked me any questions about just don't look at my detailed log of all the criminal activity I do. I'm crooked for uhhh uhhh money I guess or something. I'll never really explain it. But in the end i'm actually a good guy even though I killed a 16 year old kid. Also i'm white and talk like a nigger.

Yo muddfucka i'm cotton eye joe. I gets me money and sheeit. my cousin is a representative or some shieet. Whatever. i'm going to kill this cop and he's going to drag his body across town while bleeding out instead of calling for back up because reasons. Where is he headed? Oh hey I finally get an episode that explains my backstory and its the best one yet. Oh wait now that you get a glimpse of the most interesting backstory lets just fucking kill him off
This show is shit. How can anyone like this garbage? its worse than Dare Devil.

The dialogue is shit too. Its like a bunch of white suburban 15 year olds trying to sound black.

>my spider man is black
Gr8 b8

This criticism always comes from people who don't actually know any black people.

How new are you to Cred Forums, two months? Three?

Jessica jones was a good show. It had actual writers and actors. The story was pretty solid for the entire thing and well paced except for maybe 2 episodes.

>Why the fuck do i see all those threads that hate it?

Because this show is Supergirl level of bad acting & action.

Honestly, luke cage deserves all the bad reviews it gets.

> jean paul gaulthier lookin mothafucka

Makes up for the penultimate villain looking like a well protected plumber

Hahaha well you're not wrong. There are a lot of contrived elements to the plot that dont really get decent answers but I still think taken as a whole its a solid piece of entertainment. Im not OP though and I dont agree with any of that bait but I do think LC > JJ.

youtube.com/watch?v=3GCzGw3CLVE

You have to be out of your goddamn mind to compare this to anything in Supergirl. Both shows have their glaring weaknesses, but you're displaying such a lack of discernment that it makes me question whether you've seen the show at all.

I know tons of black people and they don't talk like that. They don't say retarded shit like
"AYYY yo dawg I gotch yo back B"
"I'm bout to hollar at a homeboy you faker ass "
"my job is staying fly and fresh"
"he been working"
"lets get out this joint"
Its literally just regular english with ebonic words spliced in to make it seem black.

its not just that though, the story is awful.

why?

>"AYYY yo dawg I gotch yo back B"
>"I'm bout to hollar at a homeboy you faker ass "

Now let's look at the actual dialogue of the show.

youtube.com/watch?v=LA1Di0pSPfY

Stop posting at any time.

>taken as a whole
There is literally no main plot. 90% of the time in the show is spent on side plots that lead absolutely fucking now where.
>cottomouth looking for two guys to kill
>police get one
>police kill one
Story ended. Nobody even asked what the fuck happened to the main witness of the case after that fuck face says he is going to talk to him. WHAT? The entire sub plot just fucking vanished into thin air? meanwhile pops gets shot (very obvious) and Cage decides to attack cottonmouth, not by killing him or just beating the shit out of him until he stops.
>Cop is crooked.
>Cop manages to get weapons and money somehow
because I guess cops have full access to just take millions of dollars and tons of weapons from evidence without question.
>he insults cottonemouth
>cottenmouth shoots him
>doesn't call in for back up
Why? Just say you got shot by some random nigger?
>drags his dying body across new york to talk to Cage
>Cage will somehow solve the problem of him having a bullet in his gut
>he tells cage he is crooked for no reason at all instead of lying
>he can't go to the hospital because the one other crooked cop in the force would kill him??
>reveals that he has proof to indict cottonmouth
>proof is a journal a homeless guy could have written
>Cage grabs the journal to solidify the fact that the journal could have come from santa's ass.
>cop dies anyway and within five minutes of the next episode cottonmouth is released from custody
>nobody cares what happens
I mean this story is shit and the dialogue is shit too. What the fuck do you watch to make you think this is a good show?

The fight scenes leave alot to be desired, you can tell when the director yells "OKAY NOW JUMP AWAY" when a punch is swung.

Those were actual lines though faggot. They go back and forth from using regular english to adding random ebonic words into the mix. Its shit. The dialogue is shit. Admit it. The only reason anybody likes this show is because muh social justice. There is no other explanation for liking a show this fucking horrible.

cuz nigaz nead ther reporationz

Why would they think invincible man vs regular crime lord was a good match up? I don't understand. Luke cage is invincible at least have all the people around him die. That would at least add some suspense. Nope, just fucking have him stand there as he gets shot and scare the goons.
it got old after the first time. Then when they finally do bring that fucking absolutely retarded character that quotes the the bible every two minutes he is still op. He got shot like 3 times and he just runs around as usual. Why bother making him get shot if it isn't suspenseful in the least. This show is so fucking retarded only a nigger could write it.

>"I'm bout to hollar at a homeboy you faker ass "

If that was a real line, then you completely butchered it because that doesn't mean anything.

Look man, people are allowed to like something that you don't. Not everything is a SJW conspiracy, sometimes your disparate opinions are simply the result of you being retarded.

>Why would they think invincible man vs regular crime lord was a good match up?

Because they aren't hacks? Your villain should be the opposite of your hero is most ways. Is the Joker threatening because he's a highly-trained ninja or a master of physical combat like Batman? No. He threatening because he's every that Batman isn't.

Again you're not wrong and Im not debating the show having any high merits. Its entertaining though and while the plot is definitely weak (which ive already conceded) it has its redeemable bits.

I don't mind rap but that shit is awful.

first things first. the guy playing luke is unbelievably generic. second they watered down luke into a completely milquetoast character the only thing left is his name. the only thing left was plot. hes Power Man god damn it. Hes supposed to be wrecking fools. Instead of being the fleshed out character luke merely exists for the purely to drive the plot. Juice just fucking stands around trying to look menacing and doesn't actually do anything.
diamond backs entire character arc is told though flash backs. And how many times do we need a shot of the current baddie standing on the baddie perch? >cut to band playing
>cut back to bbeg standing on stand.
yes we get it. the current bad guy is standing on the one specific bad guy spot to let you know hes the bad guy.
also bringing in bullets that can shoot luke like a normal person defeats the purpose of luke being luke. especially without trying multiple ways to defeat him first. might as well be magic bullet from on high, gifted to diamond back "for reasons". BROTHER from another mother OUTTA NOWHERE. then flashbacks. its like they took two books and just stitched two halves together.

the only well done bad guy is mariah. even then she was rushed.

This was by far the worst "song" I've heard in a show in a long time.

Made perfect sense in context of the setting of the club, the character listening to it, and the story being told. But this board is clearly anti-art.

>also bringing in bullets that can shoot luke like a normal person defeats the purpose of luke being luke.

This is my main complaint. If he can be shot then what's the point of being "bulletproof"?

Does anyone else really not like the opening theme? Even the visuals are boring. It's a big step down from Daredevil and Jessica Jones imo.

Not that it's the end of the world, but I was surprised by how lacking it seemed.

No one is saying it didn't make sense. It just sounded terrible. I'm sorry I don't like listening to things that make me want to turn off the show.

The point of him being bulletproof is that normal thugs or cops pose no threat to him. The point of the "Judas bullets" is so that some degree of conflict can be injected into the show.

This is like complaining about kryptonite.

Keep talking and I'm going to turn off your face.

That's nice and all that it has context to the show but it's not something you'd want on your playlist. I would never want to listen to it outside of the show. Hence it's not a good song.

wrong. the opposite generally sucks. also the opposite of invincible is some one extremely destructive. immovable object vs unstoppable force.

>Why would they think invincible man vs regular crime lord was a good match up?
superman vs lex
orthogonal attacks.extreme cunning vs brute force. which they failed at utterly.

>Keep talking and I'm going to turn off your face.

Ohhh I see. I'm sorry that I didn't realize how autistic you are before. The name should have been a dead giveaway. My bad.

No that wasn't a real line but everything else was. The real line I was making fun of went somthing like
"ay lemmie holla at you girl
"dis homeboy got whacked"
"why don't you sit your fake ass down"
Look man, the fact is that if you like this show you are a mentally deficient child. Sponge bob square pants has more depth and plot lines than Luke Cage.
That still doesn't change the fact that it sounds like a bunch of preppy middle schoolers trying to re create what black people sound like. Have you ever been in Harlem?

>cape"kino"
:^)

Typical white guy praising a show full of negros.

...so in your opinion, Lex is "extremely destructive"?

Half the stories he's involved in involve him building or creating something for the betterment of man (usually under false pretenses to be sure, but still). If Lex was just a superhuman destructive force he would be a boring foil to Superman.

He would be...Doomsday.

How is it entertaining? The character is invincible and nobody dies but bad guys and pops who you could see getting killed since the first 5 minutes.
There is no suspense. Except for when there is and they ruin it by making the diamondback cringe worthy as fuck.

Its like you think its deep when in reality the writers are shoving the message down your throat in such a obvious and vile manner it makes you want to puke.

judas bullet are end game neutralizers. should have been saved for last. should have ended in a game of cat and mouse where luke smartly uses his abilities (making new paths through walls, jumping stories, tossing heavy objects, etc) while making his way toward diamondback with judas bullets hunting him down.

Dare devil was shit too. The only half decent one so far was JJ

no. lex uses cunning not brute strength against superman. you moron

I feel that way about the word "objectively"

>waaaah it's bad because I said so waaaah I'm the arbiter of quality why won't you listen to me waaaah

...that's exactly what I'm saying, idiot.

>it sounds like a bunch of preppy middle schoolers trying to re create what black people sound like
This show was created by and written by black people, are you retarded?

Is mostly bitter DC fags trying their best to do a smear campaign

He didn't call backup because he was at the crime scene of his stolen evidence being sold back to cotton if he called backup the other dirty cop would show up and kill him. Seemed kinda obvious to me.

I wish people who dont objectively know the word "figuratively" would literally fucking die.

>. I will use the coming weeks and months to work on becoming a better person who is, I hope, worthy of the trust and loygeneration millennial

what youre saying is you dont understand the different between opposite vs orthogonal

Oh so thats why the story lines are retarded?
it still sounds like a bunch of preppy middle schoolers wrote this thing. Are you sure the black people writing this show aren't from upper middle class communities?

Netflix can't do anything right really. Dont be surprised

>close to the ROME
wow there Icarus
>cottonmouth
yeah but show went downhill after him. overall it was good but lots of shit could have been optimized

They are going for that blaxploitation feel

Sara does not look black? being of the dirt or of the void does not make one god(and they are none of those things).

yea thats how it would work...
>call for back up
>i've been shot the guy ran away
>the one other cop thats dirty takes it
>oops he suddenly got a bullet in his brain

I guess it makes sense in this universe seeing as literally nobody cares that one key witness died while under custody

He somehow managed to crawl from the peers to pops and lived another 5 hours. I think he would be fine not to mention that if a cop was shot one cop wouldn't show up for back up. At least five cops would come and an ambulance. There is no way he would have been killed but lets just assume he would have because this is a retarded universe where everyone seems to be retarded. How in the fuck would the other crooked cop know to kill him? Did cottonmouth instantly text the dirty cop telling him to kill the fuck face? Why not just fucking kill him then and there?

Even so he goes to pops then for no reason at all reveals he's a dirty cop? Why? Why not just ask to go to the hospital? You really think that dirty cop could kill him while he was at the hospital.

The stolen evidence was gone. Cottonmouth took it.

This show is retarded and I can't stand when shows do this shit. They purposely made a conflict longer than it had to be to fill time. For example, when a bad guy says, "i'm going to kill you but not now because illegitimate retarded reasoning" Thats what this show has been since day one.

Is this supposed to be impressive?

As a Hip-Hop Head this show was awesome. Nice to see homage payed to music that was sampled and music made from those samples. Story was a little weak though. Diamondback was pretty anti-climatic and Cottonmouth should have been used throughout the whole show, not killed off. Black Mariah and Shades were mediocre too.

Well that's just subjective I guess? It has to have done something right for it to be so universaly loved or at least appear to be on social media and the like. Nonetheless, I appreciate your and the others posts for making me reevaluate my taste.

WE

>picks one song from the soundtrack.

Yup, you must be right

>preppy middle schoolers
>upper middle class
Please explain what exactly in your experience makes you think you're an expert on both the way black people talk and how preppy middle schoolers think.

>I'm not going to kill or punch cottomouth and end all of this because I need to make this 13 episodes

What? Luke Cage is not a criminal, he doesn't kill people. It's why the show has a cop angle.

>Hey guys i'm a crooked cop except i'm not really on pay roll yet but i've killed a guy

What? Scarfe had been on Cottonmouths payroll for years.

> got your money and weapons and nobody has asked me any questions about just don't look at my detailed log of all the criminal activity I do.

What? He was being investigated and he used another corrupt cop to get the weapons out of evidence, they literally found out it happened the same day, how did they "not ask questions"? Scarfe asked for 100K from Cottonmouth because he knew he was done as a cop and there was no going back. And who says he was a good guy? He wasn't, just messed up.

>Also i'm white and talk like a nigger.

In what world does he talk similar to any of the actual black people on the show? Maybe there is some overlap, pretty sure that's natural if your surrounded by black people that you pick up certain phrases or words of the culture you are immersed in.

It's not the best show, but clearly it goes well over your head most of the time.

youtube.com/watch?v=YPiPkSC9UJo

Yep. I enjoyed the Wu-Tang homage payed in the show, fit really well considering the comic book influences in their music. Would have been dope if they included some DOOM music.

Lol the salt is real here. Pick your own poison and watch what you like. Watch the egoist maul at each other just to prove a point about why they're right.

Maybe he's black and was a preppy middle schooler at some point?

It had black people in it. Thats the only reason its well liked. That or the public is retarded.
>muh popularity
doesn't make it good.

I was a preppy middle schooler wannabe gangster. All I have to do is walk 2 miles to be in a all black neighborhood. Its not hard to know what black people talk like unless you've never been in a black community in your life.

Absolutely agreed. Again Ive only been trying to 'defend' it being an entertaining work and more entertaining than JJ. Is popularity not a good sign of entertainment value regardless of artistic merit?

>What? Luke Cage is not a criminal
>escaped prison
>vigilante
>not a criminal
Then why the fuck did he just show up to cottomouths club and act like he wanted to start a contract with him? Is the dialogue that bad? Watch that scene again and tell me they already knew each other. fuck, cottonmouth even said "it'll be useful to have a white ass bitch like you"

Eh, Id rather argue back and forth constructively about a show that was widely watched enough to merit good discussion than participate in the other dreck that fills up this board.

>Hate superhero movies and series apart from a very few ones
>DD was shit but give this a shot
>It's pretty good so far
It's a nice surprise actually

>In what world does he talk similar to any of the actual black people on the show? Maybe there is some overlap, pretty sure that's natural if your surrounded by black people that you pick up certain phrases or words of the culture you are immersed in.
Are you watching the same show I am? The reason he died was because he mouthed off like a hood rat. It was awful. Stop being a retard and actually watch the fucking show instead of admiring the nigger cock.
>What? He was being investigated and he used another corrupt cop to get the weapons out of evidence, they literally found out it happened the same day, how did they "not ask questions"?

He told his partner that he was going to talk to the key witness. He kills the key witness. Nobody even fucking asks what happened to him until 2 episodes later. What fucking world do you live in where a cop can grab a witness who is already in prison, kill him and not immediately be arrested? What the fuck happened? Did he just go "oh yeah, that guy ran away from me and got away"
Thats bad enough to fire a cop, forget finding out if he is crooked.
>He was being investigated and he used another corrupt cop to get the weapons out of evidence,
How the fuck did that cop get the weapons and money out of evidence? Are you retarded? Cops can't just say "hey i'm going to take these millions of dollars and hundreds of guns out to the park to investigate them" What? You know they lock that shit up. Then suddenly all of it just missing and the last person who was using it is clearly logged. What fucking horrible cops. The only excuse is if the entire fucking police force in corrupt.

How can you enjoy this? its complete shit. its worse than DD. I honestly want to know how someone can like this show? Do you get really high before watching it?

A few of the actors are flat (like Luke himself, outside of a few scenes), Cottonmouth goes too early, Diamondback kinda comes out of nowhere, and the fight choreography is pretty weak.

That's about it. Good show.

>Do you get really high before watching it?

Your not really asking are you?

>Literally give me one reason to why its bad.
Niggers.

It's pretty cool, I love the setting and the soundtrack

I am. How else can you ignore the dialogue written by five year olds and horrible story?

>soundtrack
its just rap music? Whats to love? its not really a soundtrack
>setting
first episode was the only good one when it came to setting.

No idea what you meant with this post. How does he "just show up" at the club? And what the hell do you mean with "act like he wanted to start a contract with him? Your post is just confusing.

He works there as a dishwasher, steps in for Dante as a bartender and trough a coincidence ends up in the room with Cottonmouth. Not sure what you mean with the rest, even the line "it'll be useful to have a white ass bitch like you", all he says to Luke Cage is "a big guy like you could be useful'.

>Are you watching the same show I am? The reason he died was because he mouthed off like a hood rat.

So now your saying you meant "white guy talking like a nigger" is actually "white guy mouthing"? Make up your mind on what it is you have a problem with, maybe 'watch the fucking show' instead of obsessing over black cocks.

>What fucking world do you live in where a cop can grab a witness who is already in prison, kill him and not immediately be arrested?

Chico was not in prison, are we watching the same show?

>Then suddenly all of it just missing and the last person who was using it is clearly logged.

What does it matter if it's logged? The corrupt cop was the one who was in charge of the evidence, they could just take it and claim it got stolen when it got found out (which it was the same day and it got described as stolen). Do you think the corrupt cop signed it off as regular procedure? Are you retarded or what?

Again, this show goes way over your head.

I mean I watched Neon Demon. So I'm used to bad writing. Plus I didn't think the writing was bad at all. I mean it's no Nolans FOR YOU. I also enjoy the fact it wasn't constant action.

I agree with you about the cinematography and the soundtrack. The overall style of this show seemed nice and unique. But the characters and plot were dissapointing. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at some of the dialogues, and at how unrealistic some of the situations were. For example when the nurse girl shows up at exactly the right moment when the cop decides to for no reason crawl to the barber shop. or corny moments when the hero is about to kill someone who deserves it but there is always somebody to play the voice of "reason" that yells to not do it. At first I thought alright some corny dialogue is meant to be funny maybe, but I soon got tired of it.."Can you atleast tell us your name??" Turns dramatically "My name is Luke Cage".
Luke Cage himself is a boring af character, he has all this power just to not use any of it, and when the plot needs he becomes even weaker(fighting stryker in the church).
Cottonmouth wasn't nearly as good of a villian as any of the other vilains in the marvel series, but stryker was even worse. The best character was Shades really, the only smart bad guy, with some compelling characteristics and calm yet intimidating tone to him.

Out of all Marvel/Netflix shows, this was by far the worst.

Makes Jessica Jones looks like The Sopranos.

It's not just rap, man, but we both know you set your mind on not liking the show
That's fine, though

That doesnt mean you know how every black person talks everywhere. You could live in some butt fuck nowhere ciry with its own kind of slang for all we know

Diamondback was mentioned since the first time you see present day shades. And just about every episode after that until he actually comes on.

Its all rap in the same way all black people look alike. You gotta be a racist to see it that way.

Look it's not close to Rome famalam. But it is a solid blaxploitation series.

I'll give you that the slang is outdated I didn't know it was in the current year until I saw a cellphone.

>Could've picked the two sublime jazz tunes on the first episode
>picks same old tired nigger rap

Yeah you fucked up, man.

and I don't even like jazz

Obviously you didn't watch the show, considering they let the key witness go. He wasn't in prison you dumb fuck. All he had to say was that he never showed after he got the call.

man I thought I was the only one.

You're talking about that jazz group that performes while luke is bartending right?

I've been looking for those but havent been successful

Holy shit, the show is decent at best, but you're just making shit up.

The only time he talks like that is around the black people and his partner even uses the word "dude' but only in his presence. I'm not even that social, but fuck you're inept.

He said that he didn't show up, he wasn't in prison you dumb fuck. And they even said internal affairs was on him after .

The fucking dude who works evidence was in on it. You think people are checking the evidence stock regularly? AND you even have the gall to pretend to know the ins and outs of that system.

Learn how to shitpost, faggot.

I'm up to episode 9, I enjoyed Daredevil in Season 1, but all the other characters in DD season 2. What gets to me about Luke Cage is the same as JJ at least Jessica had a reasonably established psychological reason to be afraid of just trashing everyone to get at her adversary. But with Cage, it's like he's purposely taking the longest slowest route to end this 'terrible corruption' which seems to be taking care of itself honestly.

I am enjoying how much less crying and sobbing these characters are doing compared to the other three season of shows though.

marvel shills out in full force today

every aspect of this show is bad. there is not one single good thing about it.

Why do all negroids type in the same low IQ and disjointed fashion?

t. Whitey

Will Marvel EVER make a Netflix series that doesn't shit the bed halfway through?

>Daredevil season 1 has non-stop momentum and then slows to a fucking godawful crawl 3/4 of the way through and doesn't get good again until the finale
>Daredevil season 2 starts off on a high note with the Punisher and then it's hours and hours of ninjas and relationship drama
>Jessica Jones starts off strong and then hours and hours of "why don't they just kill Purple Man or at least lock him up and not be fucking retarded about?"
>Luke Cage has a good slow burn then kills off it's main antagonist halfway through and replaces him with two shittier villains that no one could possibly give a fuck about

I'm holding out for the Punisher to finally break the cycle, but I know Iron Fist is going to follow the trend. It's almost a guarantee

Pure Nigger Kino until Cottonmouth dies, after that it's garbage.

get out

This.

>10/10 until pop dies
>8/10 until cottonmouth dies
>6/10 for the rest of the show

Fact

Both are you are assclowns not presenting any arguments.

This was literally one of if not THE top thing standing out for it if anything.

You fucked up

You never watched it

YOU are Zack Synder.

>Tries to badmouth tv show
>Lists all its redeeming qualities

I bump this shit
>Cottonmouths nods
sheeit

I'm a straight dude but I kind of have a crush on shades. Is that normal?