Women unraveling

Why is this horror subgenre so popular? It usually involves a female protagonist going so mad as to mutilate herself before going on to hurt others in some way. Bonus points if you can name male equivalents.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_and_the_Beast#Modern_uses_and_adaptations
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>male equivalents

The devil

I was thinking more Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver

Because male mental illness is considering taboo.

maybe because all women are only a heavy period away from psychopathy

I think it's because we consider people with mental illness to be less "valuable" than those without so someone with mental illness has less status in society even if they're beautiful, which makes them seem more attainable and people like watching films about people who they perceive they could fuck if they were to meet them. Don't know why it's more common for these films to be made about women. Presumably because most filmmakers are straight men.

>male equivalents

Fight Club
The Shining
A Beautiful Mind
Requiem For a Dream

The Machinist

I don't know anything about horror but I like those three movies can you recommend some other similar flicks with female leads?

This is good. Maybe Pi is another okay recommendation for the OP?

How is that horror

I think from a cinematic perspective there's a disturbing beauty in seeing a woman suffering an ordeal and ultimately triumphing against psychological breakdown which makes them far more interesting to watch than a male. A subgenre of this is the demon baby movie, ie: Rosemary's Baby, The Unborn, followed by the demon child movie, ie: The Omen, Orphan, where the female is tormented and driven mad by her offspring.

It's 'horrific', the same way Deerhunter or Full Metal Jacket would be.

may (2002)

videodrome
jacobs ladder
dead ringers
santa sangre
the cube
etc etc

Bug from 2006 might be up your alley

The 'woman unraveling' genre tests the actress' limits too. It would be that juicy, substantial role they're all after.

Because bitches be crazy

A Danish demon baby movie coming out soon

Weird that the male is never sexualised in their torment movie. It's never his beauty subject to ruin. Masculinity, usually. Taxi Driver dealt with emasculation (or being 'cucked' as they say here). I'd watch a horror movie about a male model, don't know if that's been done.

You could easily turn this into a body horror movie with its themes.

The Shining is the perfect example of male madness used for horror

Its so boring and predicable these days

people just want the same garbage over and over

But that's wrong

Starry Eyes > Neon Demon > Black Swan

Black Swan is amazing

>Why is this horror subgenre so popular?
it's just shilled hard. I've seen the two on the sides and were 'meh'

TND is the best film of 2016 you fucking pleb

It's not even unique to horror movies, theres a disproportionately large number of operas where the female protagonist goes mad and mutilates herself and/or others

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_hysteria

Because male mental illness is just suicide by gunshot, the end, movie over.

Female mental illness is like LOOK AT ME, LOOK HOW PRETTY I AM, PAY ATTENTION TO ME, LOOK HOW CRAZY I AM, TOTALLY CRAZY AND SHIT, OMG I'M GOING TO LIKE MURDER PEOPLE, OMG CHECK HOW HOT I LOOK WHILE I HOLD THIS KNIFE, DOES RED BLOOD LOOK GOOD ON ME? HEE HEE HEE.

Closest thing I can think of is "The Book of Revelation" It's an Australian film about a handsome male dancer who gets kidnapped, raped and tortured by three women, it's actually quite similar in tone to Black Swan

That's because female sexuality is primarily based around how beautiful and feminine she is, by contrast male sexuality is primarily based around how powerful and virile he is, not how pretty he is. Emasculating a man has the same effect on male sexuality in fiction as mutilating a woman has on female sexuality, scars just make men look sexier

I dunno about the best but definitely the most visually stunning, Refn needs to start sucking Jew dick so he can finally be allowed to work in Hollywood and start getting real recognition for his work

Antichrist

Well that's purely the director sexualising his starlet to sell movie tickets and because art.

Anyone want to talk about Neon Demon?

The film really stuck with me, I hated it the first time, watched it a second time, and rethought that position. Now that I have kinda let it sit with me I actually really love this film. I think it may be a sleep hit for refn.

Anyone else feel the same?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beauty_and_the_Beast#Modern_uses_and_adaptations

It definitely "stuck" with me too, but I loved it right away.

It's the kind of film I could watch over and over again (and have done so). I don't think it's going to be a hit though. Maybe a small cult following a few years down the line.

What do you think of this !?

This one is good !?

Maybe The Voices with Ryan Reynolds?

Underrated movie that.

no man, he would get jewed and start doing films about shoah and capeshit

This is correct

>you will never watch a Refn directed capeshit

Why even live?

not even Refn would be able to say something new about the genre. Just let him made low-cost independent semi art movies

lol no. just has fancy colors and you plebs fall for it and for that ugly elle

I dunno, I could picture him doing something pretty good with a more avant-garde comic book, maybe an adaption of something by Alan Moore, his striking visual style would actually suit the equally striking visual style of the best superhero comics, something that is notoriously difficult to translate from print to screen

something original would be more interesting

>popular
>only lists 3 movies

someone obviously hasn't seen deadringers

>Ctrl + F 'Possession'

Cred Forums I am disappointed in you.

K I N O

Didn't he want to do Wonder Woman?

'They look like people'

Also, I loved Starry Eyes.

seconding this

Excision too

It's got a lot of horror elements i.e. Bernard Hermann score

>dead ringers
>tfw I read that as "dead niggers" twice

Daily reminder that Black Swan is literally a bad copy of Perfect Blue.

Agreed

Black Swan is just an inferior Perfect Blue

>Bait topic for "Grr! I H8t Women! TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP!"

>Starry Eyes
except the last few scenes it's below average at best. It has as much subtlety as being hit with a fucking hammer.

55 posts in and everyone's discussing movies, you're the first faggot that took it there

Kill list