Is this episode brilliant or secretly stupid?

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Star Trek when the writing shone.

its what we call, brilliantly stupid.

Its a great concept for a metaphor of trying g to come to terms with truly alien mindsets.

The premise falls apart when you try and imagine a society that really functions that way.

Much like 99% of Trek.

It's deeply retarded.

>The premise falls apart when you try and imagine a society that really functions that way.
>Much like 99% of Trek.

This.

Guys who write the shows even agree "there is only so much you can write these alien characters without thinking to yourself 'wait, how would that culture even work?' with all their strange gimmicks and standards."

Everyone of them is either a direct political inspiration or a cartoon character designed to emphasise a particular theme or trait with their entirety encapsulating it into the five acts of the story.

Couldn't agree more.
Not to say you can't enjoy Trek despite this of course.

The best episodes of Star Trek are about as par as the most mediocre episodes of Babylon 5.

Why is star trek enterprise hated, im 8 eps in and it isnt that bad

Oh and btw. Babylon 5 did an episode about trying to understand another alien culture and they pulled it off infinitely better.

Brahms, their legs spread wide

>Geordi had the gall to talk down to Reg after this embarrassment

They also had walking dustbin people who were an ancient precursor race and a big bad called "Shadows". There's plenty of dumb in both shows.

Star Trek is cultural poison

>Shadows
>Bad
>Or their real name
Shiggity

The big bad had their own name for themselves. Only the smaller races called them Shadows because they didn't know anything about them.

So?
Its still a stupid name.

Ok, clearly a society completely functioning using context based memes as communication is stupid, but think about this.
What if they developed that type of communication after going into space? Maybe they thought that a better way to speak in code without having to learn complex codetalking was to just use memes. Even if someone were to listen in on them, no one would know what the fuck they were talking about. It's actually really genius.

Makes me enjoy trek even more

the first time I saw it - before it became a meme - it was amazing. rewatched recently and it was still great.

It's dated, and a little silly, but it's everything Star Trek stands for.

It's definitely not one I'd show a non-Trekkie to try and get them in the show, but easily one I'd pick to watch with other Trekkies.

Jalad, penetrated by Darmok

What this guy said:It is great at getting a point across, just don't think about the practicalities of the premise too hard.

It's brilliant and if you don't get it you absolutely, unequivocally have autism. I'm being completely serious, not memeing, only truly autistic people who have no understanding of what it means to be human fail to "get" it.

If you say so, but I find this kind of autistic fanoncrafting a little pointless.

You're trying to justify shit that even the writers just shrugged about.

They'd have to live that way long enough to forget about other forms of communication.
There's also the option that they've put more emphasis on math in everyday live.

see, poo in the loos can be pretty hot guys

Is it? Maybe. But it can happen. We see it beginning now in online communities, especially image boards with image macros. You see it emoticons and abbreviations. While far fetched when the episode first aired, it now doesn't look so... alien.

Images to text isn't really a big step.

Its just replacing one symbol or group of symbols for another.

Thus entire message is composed of nothing but symbols after all.

Troi, her labia unfolding.

what trash quality, delete this

Anyone got the rock poster saved? I lost mine.

All of the alien societies in ToS are perfectly logical and could function in reality.

If they only talk in metaphor using their myths and legends, where those myths and legends also written in metaphor also using other myths and legends?

You want your rod back?

Soren and Riker, in the shuttlecraft.

Does autism hurt? Like, do you feel physical pain when you struggle to understand neurotypical works of art?

The problem is he's right.
The concept doesn't make sense the second you apply even a small amount of logic to it.

Dukat, his wrongs absent.

This always made me laugh. It was only a few episodes later too. Fucking hypocrite Geordi.

>calligraphy exists
>universal translators can't understand metaphorical language
TNG was almost never great and fooled a lot of people.

I don't think you meant calligraphy.

I think your universal translator delivered the actual message.

Commander Riker, his sexual organs explained.

Photon torpedoes, their spread full.

>The premise falls apart when you try and imagine a society that really functions that way.

Cred Forums

Not a society.
Not functional.
We don't communicate that way except in an exceptionally reductionist viewpoint.

Cred Forums exists for over a decade.
Tamarians had a meme-based language for at least several hundred years.
We don't really know what will happen to today's memes.

They will get stale and forgotten.
This time next year Pepe will be considered Dank.

>it's a "Cred Forums doesn't realize there are languages with low information density" episode

we've had memes forever, same with shitposting. Half of the rome threads turn into cultural reflection about the fact people shitposted in an actual Foro

They don't have warp technology though.

Greg Bear's book Eon had his future humans of the way have not only spoken language, but a visual form they called 'picting' where they had little holographic projectors that would show little images. When i firs read it as a kid i thought it was so dumb. Years later i realized it was basically communication via memes and emoticons.

Your entire post is communicating through memes.

Greg Bear in Eon, when the images talked?

all communicable ideas are memes

Actually that was the first ep I showed my GF to get her into Trek and she has been on board since.

Bane and CIA, on the airplane.

Bane, the guy embiggened.

Cred Forums when the Reddit came

If they had a teleporter-blocking field on their ship, maybe they had someway to make the universal translators make it sound like they were speaking gibberish.

>A teleporter blocking field
Literally any shield on any ship does that.

>Mississippi wind chimes in southern trees as black lives matters fell

Raimi went a bit far on this episode with the political commentary but I love his style.

Arachnid boy the door unfixed.
Your mother awash with sperm.

Yes it's a stupid name but seeing as how they literally live in the shadows and can cloak themselves in darkness and can become immaterial at will, I'm of the mind that maybe their name suits them. Personally, I'd call them the destroctorium Spider demons from the planet X, but that's probably because I'm crazy.

>They control the shadows and are thew shadow and fade like shadow
Sounds pretty nothing personnel to me kid.

Sarah Conner at Tech Noir, her whereabouts known

What's going on Aunt ToMay as dick sucked kid?

Sides have flown and never to return.

They are literally trans dimensional beings who exist in a frequency phase space not that far removed from our own and can phase out partially with their bodies or phase out completely with their ships into and out of hyperspace . Their ships were black objects that hung hidden by the shadows of the universe until it shrieked horribly into your mind.

Jesus fuck, stop. The more you describe them the more they sound like a bad fan fiction.

>Geordi uses the holodeck again
>time for Chief O'Brian to get his mop out

Bad fiction? You 90's kids are so full of hot air. Name me one series that had as a compelling big bad as Babylon 5 had up to the time the mythology of the shadows first appeared?

No, bad fan fiction. As in it sounds like an aggressor race you would find in say a 14 year olds W40k fanfic.
And it won't matter what I say, you will disagree on principle so why waste the time?

ITS, A BIG GUY
CUNNY, PAN NICE AND HOT

That feel when

Kys my man.

TWINS, BASIL!

>kys
el ridditori spotted

Not really when you think about it. When people first saw them they just saw something covering the stars behind it. Black ships against black space. Calling it a shadow is just kinda convenient as it sounds vague but dark.

Needs the beard for extra punchability.

No, 'shadow' isn't a good name for black guys

Think it was likely they originally spoke normally, but this would have been a millennia or two or four ago.
Overtime language became too bloated like China's OVER 9000 characters with metaphor speak being the key that made the language digestible.
Or language simply devolved into endless slang/mongrel speak/extreme abbreviations and somehow metaphors arose from the degeneracy.

Worf, belaying those torpedoes

Never seen Trek in my entire life. I recently stumbled upon a "watch Enterprise in 40 hours" list of essential episodes. Would that be a good way to run through the show? Perhaps going back later on and filling in the rest at a later day.

>french surrender monkey dab's

figures

>that guy over there. Doesn't he look a bit uh shady

>Computah, create de Guiness brewery
>An disengage de feckin safeties

Why do they only have one barber per race tho?

Communism.

underrated post

>Captain Terrell, when the Ceti Eel came

Yeah an entire culture built on endlessly regurgitating old memes would never happen. So unrealistic.

how cromulent

Funny how the best barbers in Star Fleet (Bolians) are all bald. Save for that one episode of TNG where they decided to forget about that and give one of them hair for some reason.

Enterprise is not a good entry point to Star Trek. They literally cancelled the franchise because of it.

kek

Most conversations in English rely heavily on memes, metaphor and phrases anyway.

Don't believe me? It's all in the numbers.

It was cancelled because they moved it to a dead-end channel that less than half of the fans had through their cable/satellite packages just as it was starting to get good. A was arguably a deliberate move by the network to force the ratings down for cancellation.

Enterprise was on UPN for the entirety of its run.

Voyager too

I approve of this message.

>Starfleet? Enterprise here. We've just encountered what it seems to be a race of autistic predators. Yeah like in the movie. Their captain killed himself just to tell me the story of their local Gilgamesh. And I'm not sure this is wht he actually tried to tell me. They're completely retarded. Imagine what could happen if they told us the story of their nazi's holocaust. I suggest Starfleet to not enter in any further contact with them.

Imagine being Dathon - for hundreds of years his people were meeting some galactic civilizations but nobody ever understood them and they never understood anybody.
They must've felt so alone.

What is Cred Forums

Imagine being a fledgling interstellar empire coming across these guys. They can't ask for help or alliances if you should try to conquer them and if they somehow got the message across to someone that you're fighting you can blame everything on them and they can't say anything.

Whoops, I meant Next Generation

Sucks to be tamarians.
Wonder why we never see them again after this episode.

Is this it?

medium.com/maxistentialism-blog/star-trek-the-next-generation-in-40-hours-c4a6762cbd3

Here's the guide for others who don't want to wade through the blog parts:

>S01E01: Encounter at Farpoint
>S01E23: Skin of Evil
>S01E26: The Neutral Zone
>S02E08: A Matter of Honor
>S02E16: Q Who
>S03E10: The Defector
>S03E13: Déjà Q
>S03E15: Yesterday’s Enterprise
>S03E16: The Offspring
>S03E17: Sins of the Father
>S03E18: Allegiance
>S03E26: The Best of Both Worlds
>S04E01: The Best of Both Worlds: Part II
>S04E02: Family
>S04E11: Data’s Day
>S04E12: The Wounded
>S04E21: The Drumhead
>S04E26: Redemption I
>S05E01: Redemption II
>S05E02: Darmok
>S05E03: Ensign Ro
>S05E05: Disaster
>S05E06: The Game
>S05E18: Cause and Effect
>S05E19: The First Duty
>S05E23: I, Borg
>S05E24: The Next Phase
>S05E25: The Inner Light
>S05E26: Time’s Arrow, Part I
>S06E01: Time’s Arrow, Part II
>S06E07: Rascals
>S06E10: Chain of Command, Part I
>S06E11: Chain of Command, Part II
>S06E12: Ship in a Bottle
>S06E15: Tapestry
>S06E20: The Chase
>S06E21: Frame of Mind
>S06E25: Timescape
>S06E26: Descent, Part 1
>S07E01: Descent, Part II
>S07E11: Parallels
>S07E15: Lower Decks
>S07E25: All Good Things…

They're severely underselling seasons 1 and 2 and skipping some great and important episodes

>No Datalore
>No Conspiracy
>No Elementary, Dear Data
>No The Measure of a Man

Would fire a spread of photon torpedoes at out of ten

>We don't really know what will happen to today's memes.
They become fodder for cancerous oldfags to cling onto for knowledge and validation that they were around x years ago (nobody cares), and newfags will use them too to imp at being oldfag.
IE: Business as usual. Even Baneposting is down the drain.

Masketta men will never die

Overtly stupid. No secrets about it. The premise might make a decent short story in a Sci if publication, but it does not make good tv.

that is a shit-tier list. Pretty much all of the Data episodes after the first few seasons are complete shit (especially Time's Arrow), and it doesn't even include quintessential episodes that explore the Star Trek philosophy like Who Watches the Watchers or Pen Pals.

It looks like a list of the most "epic" episodes which is why all of the 2 parters are on it regardless of quality. It's not at all a good first glance at Star Trek, it's at best a list of episodes for people who just want to skip the smaller stories and go for the bigger ones (regardless of quality). Also Parallels is awful and should never be on any list of must-see anything

Because.
I can.
Live. With. It

why does he speak like this?

Can i just watch only the DS9 episodes with Garak in them and still understand the show?

It takes a lot of effort for him to speak without inserting baseball trivia and anecdotes.

Griffey, when the jaw swole

He took far too many marijuanistic canniboids when he was growing up in New York in the 1950s, I think they made an episode about it

He's not in the pilot, so no.

This comment made me feel. It's so true. When Star Trek had depth.

>A monk, a clone and a Ferengi decided to go bowling together
Where was he going with this?

a bald joke.

Burns, when the plant won

CIGARS
NICE AND PHALLIC

I remember her having bigger tits than that. I am suddenly sad.

Bras are false advertising for tits

Android, his functionality full.

I cried when I watched Measure of a Man. Does that make me an autist?

This is true, and I am still sad. It feels like I cheated so many boners when I was younger. They didn't know any better, but could have done so much more with their lives.

What's some essential trekkino?

LISTEN ALL Y'ALL IT'S A SABOTAGE

Insurrection is pretty kino.

That episode with Picard and the flute.

the inner light is pretty feelsy.

Holy crap. I never put the stupid non-language thing into the context of memes.

They're have conversations like "Pepe, when it felt good." "Pepe, when Trump ran."

baseball guy, before the ball was hit.

This user is correct. We use metaphor and referential language every day. Although it does only make up part of our speech.

>Humans just throw their corpses out into space
Surely this is a terrible idea? How are Caveman Species #15125 going to react to an alien in a pod falling out the sky?

It's almost impossible for such pod to reach anythin in space. And even if it finds its way to some planet, it would burn in the atmosphere.

They're photon torpedo tubes, they can survive being fired out of a vessel moving at warp speed, atmospheric reentry will be no problem.

In fact, Spock's did exactly that at the end of Wrath of Khan.

>that race on voyager that gets mad because of this.
one of the many crimes.

>autistic predators

That would be the Hirogen, from Voyager, who create a holodeck simulation of WW2 and actually start believing in Hitler's propaganda.

>These alien hunters who invented warp drive and have a communications network spanning nearly a quarter of the galaxy agree with Hitler
>lol whatever their'our dumb

why is miles o brian the greatest character put on screen?

They didn't really believe in that propaganda. They already believed that they were the apex predators of the Delta quadrant. They explicitly showed that the Hirogen thought the holo-nazis were idiots at one point.

Yes.

The Data episode to cry to is The Offspring.

Benny Russell explained it perfectly

I must point out. For their way of communicating to make any sense, a rudimentary basic language needs to be established. There is no way to go around that.

Humans in Star Trek are too perfect, all they had to do is write a guy with a shitty marriage who doesn't care about high art and literature like all the fags on the bridge and boom, best character and best series. 99% of people can identify with O'Brien far more than Picard or Kirk, despite what our egos would allow us to admit.

You're right, but writing-wise it was the only way to move the episode along without it seeming even more ridiculous than it already was.

right before the attack isnt there a book sitting next to his camp?

It seems to be a little more complicated than just 'they're speaking in metaphors'. There is definitely some vocabulary outside of cultural references, though they tie the whole structure of the language together.

Don't the Commies have regulations about pollution? Dis nigga just finna do his job and he's getting some fish monster blowing marijunistic cannabinoids in his face smdh

How did the Tamarians know of these legends from other planet in the first place? How where they communicated to them?

Darmok at Tanagra wasn't an example from a tamarian planet. the federation had information of this legend in their databank.

The Star Trek universe is quite small, there were loads of species in range of others with sub-light drives, they must have been one of them. Legend also implies very old, it could be their languages diverged afterwards due to separation, like the Romulans and Vulcans.

>Its a great concept for a metaphor of trying to come to terms with truly alien mindsets.

Also what happens when the universal translator technology "fails" to fully translate something. You might know the words being spoken, but not the intent behind them.

i believe, sir, that you could have done a much better job of this post.
give me an hour and i will have a new and vastly superior draft ready for you.

Yea that's the one.

Oh man, those were some feels.

it translates perfectly
the problem is the entire race is assholes.

The Wounded

>"She... she won't survive much longer. There was nothing anyone could have done. We'd repolarize one pathway and another would collapse. And then another. His... hands were moving faster than I could see, trying to stay ahead of each breakdown. He refused to give up. He was remarkable. Just... wasn't meant to be."

When he describes datas movements and that early TNG music is playing I get chills.

Bashir is my favorite human because I am also a bisexual slut with autism and can relate.

I've just started watching TOS. I've been watching through myself, but I've shown some episodes to my pleb friend who probably couldn't watch them all (time being a constraint too)
These are the ones I've shown him so far
>The Corbomite Maneuver
>The Enemy Within
>The Naked Time
>Balance of Terror
>Court Martial
And I was thinking of showing him The Squire of Gothos and Arena, and maybe Tomorrow is Yesterday (I'm only up to Return of the Archons myself)
Are these good picks for introducing someone to TOS?

brendan, when the marriage fell

You retards don't seem to be aware that this is pretty much how the Romans spoke.

They relied heavily on metaphors and allegories to communicate.

Even if you understood written Latin, the substance would often not be clear to you unless you understood Roman culture, history and mannerisms if they tried to speak to you.

Bateman, hearing Huey, his finger pointing

That's the same with most cultures.
Even being a weeb watching anime will involve jokes that make no sense without a translators note.

Someone let Louie out of that fucking pod already

Some people complain about Avery Brooks and his acting but I think he pulls it off most of the time in the show. It's also rare to see a male black character who isn't either a silent tough guy or a wild jokester. People just aren't used to black men crying.

pretty solid list mate. tense eps.

What, you don't think they can calculate the trajectory with all of that crazy space technology?

I always figured they'd shoot them on a slow course towards a star, so its gravity would pull them little by little until they were destroyed.

Solid. I'd add City on the Edge of Forever as I believe it's the greatest stand-alone episode of Star Trek there is.

Please. If it did, I'd eat my shoe.

I've heard its great so I intend to show him that one once we get to it.

It's not so much neurotypical as asinine.

This isn't true at all and I've studied written Latin.

Not really, you're just not used to the basic level of referentiality present in educated speech, but they weren't all 'Clytemnestra, when her asses wuz swolen'.

>All in the numbers
>Double doubles
user, when the dubs fell.

As emotional as that scene was, it was really weird for the admiral to go from callous prick to caring that quickly

trying to hide the joy hes got being able to send the body to maddox.

I always wonder if it has something to do with the fact that he was a stage actor.

>PICARD: How many people does it take, Admiral, before it becomes wrong, hmm? A thousand? Fifty thousand? A million? How many people does it take, Admiral!?
I mean, at least Picard acts like he should in Insurrection and not Le Crazy Patrick Stewart Man

It's brilliant. The last time I watched it I teared up when Picard finally figured out what the Darmok metaphor means.

wait werent they just moving them?
what the hell was that argument about?

PAN
NICE AND HOT

if you want a cry episode: The Inner Light

I didn't read thread, watched that episode or know what you're talking about, but for something to be "secretly stupid" is brilliant in itself.

the federation and the plastic surgery ayylians were going to forcibly relocate the beautiful aryans and make their planet an uninhabitable wasteland by harvesting their technobabble particles that stop the aging process

shit starfleet should have sent sisko.

both

He would have figured out that the Son'a are allied with the Dominion, and then he would have blasted them out of the sky.

data betrayed his uniform.
sisko would nuke the planet.

It wasn't brilliant but it was very cool. One of the most successful attempts by tng to portray something alien.

It's definitely stupid.