Did Blade start the capeshit craze in theaters?

Did Blade start the capeshit craze in theaters?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XbsDvGtTRWU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Blade is a comic hero movie.

Capeshit started with Iron Man.

But Blade is a marvel hero

it took off once cgi came into its own. raimi spider man then x-men then iron man and the rest is (an unfortunate) history

I too watch rlm

>Blade has billowing leather on his body
>Iron Man has an iron coating
>Iron Man is the cape

it wasn't just one movie, it was a series of successes after the major bomb of batman & robin that showed studios it was a profitable genre. you had blade in 98, then x-men in 2000, then spider-man in 2002. i think part of it was also that marvel had formed their film division in the early '90s after nearly going bankrupt, so all their properties went into production around the same time.

Funny how that works.
>Dracula wears a cape
>Captain America doesn't
>Cap is the cape

Burton's Batman was before Blade, and it's the actual beginning of the commercial success of the superhero movie genre.

No spider man and xmen did. Blade was rated R

We can all agree this is the only capekino, right?

>Donner Superman
>Burton's Batman
>Blade
Am I right in assuming that, as unthinkable as it is, the capeshit craze DIDN'T just start the other day and that it actually isn't going away?

Blade was kind of like, the movie that opened the door for X-Men in a sense since it reminded people comics were worthwhile source material.

It was a good movie and a successful one after a pretty sharp dip in the genre. Leading up to Blade was this rogues gallery of movies:

The Phantom
Nick Fury: Agent of Shield
Steel
Spawn
Batman & Robin

A movie that starts off good, then goes full retard by having the manager's wife be another superperson?
Yeah nah.

>Nick Fury: Agent of Shield
The MCU needs to create a Nick Fury trilogy, starting with a white sergeant Fury in WW2, moving on to white Fury in the CIA and ending with Jackson taking over S.H.I.E.L.D.

Shaq's Steel wasn't all that bad really.
>we will never live in a world of Shaq kino

this wave of capeshit started with the Spiderman movie, really.

Blade showed Marvel there can be profit in movie adaptations, but it wasn't really connected to this wave of movie-making or popularity. the 90s Batman movies too were something distinct from this wave.

it was really the Spiderman movie and the Nolan Batman movie that set this off.

I'm a dumb nigger

The X-Men man, the X-Men.

They still make Western movies every year.

Cape is here to stay.

(sameposter)

although I forgot the X-Men movie came out before Spiderman. so I guess that. Spiderman was when it felt like this was going to be a really big new thing aided by CGI.

No, Iron Man did. Blade was just a comic book movie. We had comic book movies before that were good, Road to Perdition, 30 days of Night. Then Iron Man released and the age of Capeshit began.

This, but white Fury (sr) should stick to WWII and maybe Korea, and we need a bit more of Fury jr as a SHIELD agent during the Cold War.

So you're saying that "capeshit" means "decently made fun movies that make lots of money". Huh.

>white fury.

Normies would go nuclear if that happened. You know a ton of people would call it race swapping, with a completely straight face.

Please don't make me want to move to the Moon.

Genres don't die. They just phase in and out of popularity.

So now that Perlman is old and busted, how will the Mignolaverse become a cinematic universe?

I'd prefer an animated movie utilizing his distinct style. Something like this, but with bigger budget:

youtube.com/watch?v=XbsDvGtTRWU

With Perlman doing VA for Hellboy. Will never happen, though.

Current age of capeshit? X-Men/Spiderman got the ball rolling. For all capeshit? First Superman movie and Batman as well.

Really started with Avengers, or you could attribute Ironman/ Captain America/Hulk

Actually started before with the Spiderman & Xmen trilogies also the Daredevil & Electra movies. Those are at least descent though

>Daredevil & Electra movies
The ones everyone and their mother tries to forget because they were awful?

It occurs to me that some comic book movies have been overlooked here.
Sure A History of Violence didn't start the capeshit craze, but consider the following:
V for Vendetta
Sin City
From Hell
Did they have an impact on the bigger picture?

Implying they aren't underrated kino

Yes, to a point, they made it a common thing for a comic to get an adaptation, though not so much From Hell since it didn't do as well box office wise.

Will Bullseye be this entertaining on the Netflix show?

Fuck all you racist motherfuckers.
-From Blade

Are you ice skating uphill?

WAKE ME UP

Not going to lie I watched both recently and didn't mind them

They're not great but neither of them are really that bad

I'd forgotten what a tone shift Electra was though

>raimi spider man
This.

You could bring up Batman or Blade or a few others. But Spiderman in 02 was really the beginning of the end. Iron Man was the point of no return. And Avengers was when the gates of hell were completely opened.