/KKG/ Kaiju Kino General

With the advent of genuine Kajiu Kino and the utter BTFOing of Godzilla 2014, what are your hopes for new kaiju films? Do you think there is room in the market for new kaiju IPs to be created, not relying on Godzilla/Gamera/Ultraman/etc.? Do you have any ideas for kaiju movies you would want to see, be it an existing franchise or completely original ideas?

I am cautiously optimistic about the new Kong movie but I'm worried the other American Godzilla films will not be much of a step up from 2014. I think the new Japanese series could continue to be fantastic if they stay doing their own thing and not putting in lots of unnecessary fan service.

So yeah, Kaiju Kino General. Post thoughts, ideas, hopes and dreams, and also your favorite kaiju movies from years gone by.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/100megagna
twitter.com/nurikabenuri/status/778914074818023425
youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ru-wduZ70
youtube.com/watch?v=AJSfVZgKDOw
youtube.com/watch?v=kJZBt6wTNe0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=X_uCcaaIavc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Do you think there is room in the market for new kaiju IPs to be created, not relying on Godzilla/Gamera/Ultraman/etc.?

Well I mean, Pacific Rim already proved that. Most people don't really care about which monster is in the movie, if there's a big monster stomping around and smashing things, people are gonna be entertained. If it's designed well and has a good story/ background, then sure, why not?

Personally I did not like Pacific Rim at all and honestly kind of forgot about it. It was a little better than Godzilla 2014 though. I personally just can't get into watching CGI cartoons punching each other. I thought the CGI in Shin Godzilla was really good and the mix of practical effects got rid of some of the weightlessness of the action. That said, something about the CGI still made me feel as if the stakes somehow weren't as high as they should have been. Didn't quite take away from the destruction scenes as they were still gorgeous, but part of me wishes they had gone full practical.

I know what you mean. At the end of the day, PacRim was really nothing than an action/punch 'em up. I think the whole idea would improve if they went a little more in depth with the mythos behind it, maybe an animated series.

> Do you have any ideas for kaiju movies you would want to see, be it an existing franchise or completely original ideas?

I want to see a King Ghidorah centric movie. Something like a mix between How to train your dragon and kaiju, but it takes place on a different planet where Ghidorah is a native creature. Maybe an origin story showing how it became an intergalactic killer. I dunno. It's a dumb idea but I think it'd be pretty entertaining.

I feel you, I love King Ghidorah aesthetically. Although honestly I think his character is a little different than he is always portrayed. He is talked up to be a world ending monster but in most films he is always under alien mind control. He has very rarely had freewill, so we don't know what kind of creature he actually is. He's always been forced to be a killer by anti-earth factions.

So I've actually been writing a script that's an original monster but could more or less be swapped out with Ghidorah if I somehow got the rights or something. It's about a future Earth where the protagonist has been trained from birth to pilot a super mech thingy against monsters. He is a celebrity and hailed as a hero, but only because he has always done what he is told. He has no freewill and must pilot the mech, something extremely mentally and physically taxing, because that is his lot in life.

Earth is invaded by an alien force who begin wiping out humans. Their ultimate weapon is the Ghidorah-like monster, also trained from birth to destroy. Never had a chance to not be a villain. This monster is made to demonstrate his power by destroying a city, then put into hiatus to recharge or something. Meanwhile, the human army and the mech pilot manage to largely defeat the alien force. The pilot delivers the finishing blow to the mothership or another alien mech or something and then swears off piloting for good. He vows to wander into the desert and leave humans behind for ignoring him as a person and using him as a weapon.

The monster awakens, for the first time in its life having free will. It sees the humans below it preparing for a fight and understands that they hate him. They see him as ultimate evil and fear him. They want to destroy him. He realizes that he has no real choice but to live up to his reputation and become the villain he is expected be. He begins destroying all of humanity and that's the end.

>Low-fi
>No Fresh

They don't even know what are they talking about, the movie is faithful to 1954 and it is a disgrace that G14 and Ghostbusters 2016 has a fresh certificate and this doesn't.

Only movies funded by Jews get fresh ratings, newfag.

Showa Gamera films after the first one and before the last two have several advantages over the Godzilla films of the same timeframe. For the most part, Gamera has much better miniature sets and cinematography, as well as absolutely insane brutal fights with lots of blood and dismemberment. Only once Godzilla vs. Gigan comes around does Godzilla improve in terms of sets, cinematography, and fights. Although the last few Showa Gamera films have a large drop in quality and the original is not good at all, the series has its merit in giving the lazy mid-late 60s Godzilla a run for its money

pac rim didn't do much for me but shin godzilla was extremely grounded and captivating. even without knowing who directed it while watching it i got some pretty strong neon genesis vibes. the methodical pacing really worked in its favor. a true kino classic

It honestly is the sleekest, slickest, most well paced movie I have seen in a while. It's style is ultra-modern as well, which is why I don't get RT calling it low-fi

Well, I get some of the low-fi stuff.
Some animations are noticeably below average, like when Shin goji uses his atomic breath- the animation of him turning around is extremely choppy

Shit, wrong webbum

Does anyone know who the artist of these is? I seen his kind of work all over the place but I can't find a name to go with it.

I though they were refering to low fidelity to the character of Godzilla, not to the CGI

>low fidelity
Shit, I kept thinking of low-fi meaning low definition in my head.

Don't know, but I have a few hanging around.

My current Top 5

1. Godzilla (1954)
2. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974)
3. Shin Godzilla (2016)
4. GMK (2001)
5. Godzilla vs Destroyah (1995)

I honestly didn't expect Shin Godzilla to be as good as it was. It was a very pleasant surprise.

...Huh. Turns out I have a lot less than I thought.

Why did they show the literal money shot of the whole movie on Japanese TV with fucking face cam of faggots talking over it?

twitter.com/100megagna

I had no idea about the evolving or the fish gill form going into the movie, I thought the build up was going to be to his actual reveal. After all those close ups of his tail, his back. Obscured by all the boats he was pushing.

Then that sudden wide shot of that bug eyed wiggly monster motor boating it's way through the street. Bravo Anno.

Also the atomic breath scene was probably the best one, like ever. When he stumble over and just start barfing flames all over Tokyo like a nuke as it slowly gets hotter, hotter, and refines itself into a full on atomic blast.

Really fucking good shit.

Besides Urobuchi writing an anime Godzilla film, I'm really curious what Toho's next step with the franchise might be. Anno is back to work on Evangelion and doubt Toho will wait for him to finish. Toho just needs to avoid falling back into the assembly line mindset, cranking out films annually for the sake of pushing merchandise. They need to continue to hire big name, external talent. Take time with each film and let them all feel distinct.

Missing that Korean kaiju movie

The Host

I think he meant Pulgasari but The Host is great too.

outstanding taste my friend.

What does /KKG/ think of the Daimajin series?

>gmk anywhere near the best
good man

Not enough black people, and the overall pro-military/nationalistic self-determination message probably rubbed some of the more featherweight critics the wrong way

I notice the "neckbeard"/socially awkward crowd really loves the new Jap Godzilla movie and constantly feels the need to scream about the 2014 one.

Why is this?

Movie isn't nationalistic or pro-military, and leftist in the US generally support anti-americanism in Japan.

I'm a neckbeard and I like both movies. Shin is definitely way better though.

godzilla 2014 is better though

They're weebs who can't have enter discussion comparing the two without going to extremes of why one is the best thing since sliced bread and the other is the worst movie ever made
I do think Shin Godzilla is a better movie, but Godzilla 2014 is not the travesty some people claim it is

God I hope Skull Island is good
I'm really into the visuals they used for the trailer, but I can already tell it's going to have the same problem Godzilla 2014 had where the movie is going to be about some literally who guy and his girlfriend instead of John Goodman and Samuel Jackson

Huh? There's way more practical effects work in Pac Rim then Shin Godzilla. Beyond a few office miniatures getting destroyed (which Pac Rim also uses), the whole movie is basically cg.

Is this a real poster or fan art? Cause if it's fan art it is a really good imitation of those older posters

its fanart my man
twitter.com/nurikabenuri/status/778914074818023425

>like a nuke as it slowly gets hotter, hotter, and refines itself into a full on atomic blast.
I felt like it was emulating a rocket or jet engine-- it starts off as relatively cool flames before getting hotter and hotter until it becomes nearly invisible, visually defined super--heated plasma.

That was my favorite shot in the entire movie.

Also, yeah. Toho shouldn't just rush out movies-- if they take their time planning and making a new godzilla movie every few years, they could possibly become way more successful since the overall quality of the films would increase.

>implying Anno's trolling can stay fresh as the series/genre is revived
He can't even stay fresh in his own series rebuild

It was a really really cool change to the atomic breath. The sound effect was also terrifying.

I loved it because it felt so unnatural, just like godzilla- instead of an 'organic' looking breath weapon you get something that looks like a rocket's exhaust.

>Tremors

Can that really be called a kaiju movie? I'd say the graboids were a little on the small side compared to most kaiju.

Not that Tremors isn't a good monster movie. Not my point.

>This thread
>Quality discussion, Anons happily enjoying shared love for monster movies

>endless shitposting
>THICC THICC THICC

Anno will never direct a sequel. He works slow as fuck and Rebuild Evangelion 4.0 won't be for years.

Toho won't wait a decade. Anno might not even be alive then given how emotional he is.

Expect no explanation for wtf went down in this movie

Loved this part.

> can't be serious

What's going on with Godzilla's tail at end?

>the utter BTFOing of Godzilla 2014

God I hate weeaboos.

Within the context of the movie he's reproducing/adapting to his environment. Symbolically its the Japanese people affected by the evils of the nuclear age, whether it be by atomic bomb or by damaged power plant

That movie is a legit masterpiece of cinematography and special effects, why did literally no other tokusatsu movie or tv show from the time even come close? What magic did Daiei posses?

Do you mean the end of the movie? Or do you mean physically at the end of his tail?
Spoilers~

Apparently at the end of the movie

Seriously don't read it unless you've seen it.

Godzilla's trying to asexually reproduce by using the corpses of humans he's absorbed by mutating them into miniature Godzillas culminating in the end of his tail splitting into lots of proto-godzilla skeletons

Give it up. Neither American Godzilla flicks are anything to write home about.

Even though G2014 wasn't exactly riveting, I think it was a decent flick. It was testing the waters to see how american audiences would react to godzilla on a large scale more than anything. Plus, the director was a rookie so it's kind of expected that it wouldn't be the best.

Not him, but I liked the 2014 movie. It certainly could've used less screentime on the humans, but holy fuck, I remember everybody in the theater going nuts when Godzilla let out the atomic breath for the first time. The action scenes made up for the lack of Godzilla screentime, I think.

The 98 movie is absolute shit though, I don't think anybody would say otherwise.

>Godzilla's trying to asexually reproduce by using the corpses of humans he's absorbed by mutating them into miniature Godzillas culminating in the end of his tail splitting into lots of proto-godzilla skeletons

That makes no sense. If he's asexually reproducing then he's not mutating foreign DNA. If he's mutating foreign DNA (aka: sexual reproduction) then he's not asexual.

He is asexual, btw. And the skeletons on his tail (which are not human at all) are just miniature clones of himself. They would evolve into fully formed Godzilla just like how this one evolved over the course of the film.

Oh shit, really?

I didn't actually watch the film

>I didn't actually watch the film

OP should have a guide to getting into kaiju tbhwyl (to be honest with you lads)

Maybe so, but they got some pretty good actors for those parts. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was always going to be a flop.

Godzilla's several minutes of screen time, half of which is hidden in darkness, isn't enough to make up for a feature length film's running time worth of dull drama. Aaron-Taylor Johnson's character was anti-charismatic, sucking away what little life the film had to begin with. And the filmmakers choose to push all other characters to the side to focus on him. No interacting with interesting characters or monologuing, just the blank expressions of a man surviving increasingly ridiculous situations and undermining the supposedly grounded universe. You don't get much time to revel in destruction (average blockbuster) or experience much of the homelessness and intensity of the situation (Gojira) or get light-hearted entertainment (majority of Godzilla films). A couple of neat scenes doesn't save a boring film. It had standard production values and above average cinematography.

>Godzilla's several minutes of screen time, half of which is hidden in darkness

You just described every Godzilla movie. When will plebs learn Godzilla movies aren't even about Godzilla?

>2014 faggot being this desperate

>I didn't actually watch the film
Then why the fuck are you acting like you know anything?

OP here, honestly outside of Godzilla and Gamera I have not seen nearly enough Jap kaiju films, and I disagree heavily with all of the usual charts that get posted on Cred Forums. I've seen loads of American monster movies and a few kaiju films from other countries so I could include those I guess. It'll take me some time but say maybe on Saturday I can have a sweet infographic worked out.

I actually like the '98 movie and think it's a lot of fun. Not exactly Godzilla but at least it's not boring, unlike the 2014. 2014 used false marketing to make us think Godzilla was a villain, a scary unnatural force but then they go on to reveal him in the opening credits and all the important characters already know about him and aren't scared of him at all. He's not a monster in the film, he's a dumb plot-construct because they needed a way to kill the dumbass MUTOs. No stakes at all in the entire movie. I could go a lot more into this but basically I think the film is absolute trash in every conceivable way.

What does the 2014 movie even have to do with my statement? 2014 Godzilla is just another American action blockbuster. It is not a successful Godzilla movie but it is a successful monster movie.

Stick to Pacific Rim. That's probably more up your alley.

When the fuck is Shin Godzilla gonna get released on Blu-Ray?

it doesn't even describe the original, Godzilla is shrouded in smoke fire and darkness but is still a clear presence and has above all else a very powerful silhouette.
2014 has nothing except the atomic breath part, all Godzilla sequences are literally BLACKED

Best moment of the film
youtube.com/watch?v=O5Ru-wduZ70

I think they modeled the flame on the space shuttle boosters that turn from fire red to a clear flame. Loved it.

Desu I thought the atomic breath was pretty lame and wimpy, it doesn't even have that

It just got a limited theatrical release in America today and runs till Tuesday. Most DVD releases are 2.5 - 4 months after theatrical, but giving that this is a foreign film that had a very small release, it will probably be sooner than that.

I meant moreso when his spines lit up for the big surprise, that was well shot and almost justified the constant darkness

>legendary making kong vs g after shin godzilla

>this pic
2dark4me

HOW CAN THEY EVEN CONTINUE AFTER THIS FILM
LIKE LMAO JUST SHUT DOWN
GIVE IT UP
CANCEL ALL FUTURE PROJECTS AND KYS YOU DUMBASS PLEBS

Shin Godzilla will probably get a sequel even before then. I'm more pumped to see SG take on another monster with all his crazy laser beam shit than I am to see Kong vs Big G (again).

> You just described every Godzilla movie.
I love this disingenuous defense.

Godzilla 2014 is 30 minutes longer than the majority of Godzilla films. And the ones with similar running times have a better balance of the human characters and monsters. They also don't have the stupid teasing.

Toho's films normally don't take themselves so seriously and have ensemble casts. With an ensemble cast you don't have to overload a single character or actor who may or may not be capable of carrying that load. G14 puts all of its eggs in the ATJ basket and it backfires tremendously.

It's not the time spent. It's how the time is utilized. Speaking of which, for a film named "Godzilla", the titular character is suspiciously absent both visually and narratively for much of the film. And the characters are garbage. They are literally the cast of your average summer blockbuster film with all the personality drained out of them.

That a foreign movie that isn't even dubbed, had no marketing and released in less than 500 theaters countrywide actually breached the top 10 is a miracle in and of itself

I wonder how Legendary and Edwards feel right now?

Well, there's literally nothing out right now.

Honestly I feel like even plenty of dumb normie plebs consider a Japanese Godzilla movie to be a real cinematic event when released in US theaters. My screening was mostly teenage-40s males, the kinds of guys who grow up watching the old ones on VHS or on the SyFy channel and shit. Godzilla is a well known character even to the average person, so of course people will go see the movie.

This guy.

>you're not you when you're thirsty. have a water bottle.

>very powerful silhouette
my melanin enriched friend

>I think they modeled the flame on the space shuttle boosters that turn from fire red to a clear flame. Loved it
Didn't you already say that in

before i expanded the thumbnail i thought you just posted a completely black image as a joke

Can you even call this atomic breath anymore? Is it laser breath now? (Yes I know in Japan they've always called it the heat ray but this is full blown fucking lasers)

Anyone have the shot of his tail from the end?

JET FUEL
E
T

F
U
E
L

Yea, Shin Godzilla and The Accountant are literally the only reasons to go to the theaters right now. They wisely chose a time where it has literally no competition.

I just got back from Shin Godzilla. Great movie, one of the better Godzillas I've seen. Not perfect, but definitely a solid 8 or 9. The politics got way too dense toward the middle of the movie, that criticism was valid. Also a couple of special effect fails that were pointed out in the thread, a couple parts where ShinGoji is suddenly very choppy. Overall it was great and most of the movie is very well-shot. It was like the true, gritty sequel to 54 Godzilla we never really got.

Definitely a better movie than 2014, but I'm in the camp that didn't that Legendaryzilla was so bad. G2014 was pretty decent/above average, I've definitely seen a lot worse Godzilla movies from Japan. The worst mistake it made was killing Bryan Cryanston so early in the movie, as a sitcom actor he was perfect lead for a hammy Godzilla movie and they fucking wasted the opportunity.

Critics are fucking retarded sometimes. people rely way too heavily on RottenTom

TOHO took a risk with Shin Godzilla and it paid off.
They tried something different and it was great.
BUT this makes me wonder, what are they going to take from this? Are they going to be like...

"Oh man, people really liked Shin Godzilla! Let's make more movies like Shin Godzilla!"

or will they be like

"Oh man, people really like how we went outside of the box with Shin Godzilla! Let's try another thing that's completely different!"

I really hope it's the latter.
I really want to see them explore new ways to reinvent and explore the genre. I feel like there's gotta be so many creative and unique ideas you can do with a Kaiju movie, and I hope we get to see that from here on out. Not just with TOHO movies but all kaiju movies.

I dont this its this guy, but youd might like Bob Eggleton's art of Godzilla

there are two kinds of people in this world:

those who like Pacific Rim
and those who like Shin Godzilla

true desu but i have a feeling many could potentially like shin godzilla for the wrong reasons

I'm hyped for Kong

my girlfriend is the biggest pleb when it comes to art of all forms. she didn't like Shin whatsoever. I think it's a good pleb filter.

That's good at least. There plenty of people in the theater with me who audibly said the beam scene was stupid and I heard people talking afterward about how it was a dumb movie and they fucked up big time

I like both.
Shin Godzilla more, but PR was fun for what it was I guess.

Even though it's dark as fuck, I really love this shot for some reason.
It's probably his eyes, even thought they are small as fuck, they seem to express some kind of emotion/feelings.

Shin godzilla was absolute fucking shit. God I fucking hate this stupid piece of shit hipster board sometimes. You're all a bunch of circle jerking faggots trying to go against the stream. this movie didnt do ANYTHING new and gave us a shittier '54 with even less Godzilla. Everything outside of Godzilla destroying the city was shit. Thats 1 hour and 57 minutes of SHIT.

fucking kill yourselves

>trying to go against the stream
the general consensus is that's it's good

by a bunch of fucking weeaboos. The movie was trash and Anno is a fucking faggot.

>That's good at least. There plenty of people in the theater with me who audibly said the beam scene was stupid and I heard people talking afterward about how it was a dumb movie and they fucked up big time

yeah there was laughter at the initial reveal in his tadpole form. and lots of scoffs and sarcastic laughter throughout the rest of it. boy they LOVED the humorous jabs at the US military. fools all of them.

then I bless you with the title, Kaiju-sseur.

(You)

lol

>
>by a bunch of fucking weeaboos. The movie was trash and Anno is a fucking faggot.

Okay, but why did tail turn into a skeletons?

>Kaiju-sseur.
I love it thank you

Keep crying you pleb

>They tried something different and it was great.

Thanks to 2014.

Legendary making money for them and taking charge of action focused Godzilla it's the best thing for Toho, now they can make spooky movies and weird crossovers.

>what are your hopes for new kaiju films?
for Godzilla to stay evil and wreck havoc on humanity just like the 2016 one

>Skeletons
nah brah, those werent skeletons. Those were little Godzilla monsters Godzilla was probably going to break off into or some shit. They kinda look like the giant god warrior thing from that Kaiju short Anno did with Ghibli, but with Godzilla spikes

SPOILERS JERK

God damn I love how they kept teasing shots of his tail, getting closer and closer to showing the end (at the end). my interpretation is silly but I felt like those human mutants represented the victims of nuclear poisoning and pollution.

anyone have the webm of the fight?

No joke it is so dark and is hard to see

Watching both 1998 and 2014 last night, I think I may have a very unpopular view.

1998 is legitimately a better Kaiju film than 2014.

In many ways it's a better Godzilla film as well, since it's about oddball scientists going on a wacky adventure to find a way to stop Godzilla, where 2014 is about a generic marine doing shit nobody cares about and then Godzilla shows up at the very end as a cameo.

>It's so poorly written though.

And? Every Godzilla film beyond the Original and 1985 has been complete and utter schlock. I mean, ffs, this is Toho writing.

youtube.com/watch?v=AJSfVZgKDOw

1998 is hilariously, probably one of the better written Godzilla movies.

So what was so great about it then? what was so outstanding that the other films before didnt do better? because there was 5 minutes of Godzilla, and the rest was uninteresting political filler by a bunch of cardboard cutout talking heads.

>b-but Godzilla is always like that!

no, fuck off. it's never that dull. The drama was shit, the characters were bland, Godzilla looked like a retarded stegosaurus fetus for the first two forms that came off more as a joke than scary. there was one two minute scene that was legitimately scary.

Even the Japanese knew about the power stance!

dude it's okay, Doctor Strange will be here soon go watch Captain America a few times while you wait

>1998 is legitimately a better Kaiju film than 2014.
Yeah no shit.

Even though it is goofy, that entire scene of Zilla coming out of the water and that fishermen running is so memorable.

It has better likeable characters compared to the 2014 one.

>because there was 5 minutes
I stopped reading and hide your post
Thanks

What goes on with his eyes here?

Btw 1998 Godzilla is more of a remake of The Beast from 20000 Fathoms than it is Godzilla. That dock scene is literally lifted straight from it

>that pan up the tail with no sound at all
>smash cut to credits
classic anno

eyelids. he closes his eyes when he shoots the photons and when he's under attack

Bravo, Anno

oh yes. all those silent shots were incredible. I particularly liked the screen shots of social media websites when they realize they have an information leak. classic anno baka

This was EVA 4. Don't even make it now Anno.

of course you did. because everyones counter is "'54 did it!" but it was done more tastefully in the other films and held back by a super tight budget and other shit for its time. Even 2014 did it better than this. The pacing was god awful and the moments inbetween Godzilla, which was 95% of the movie, were atrocious.

>Shin Godzilla will probably get a sequel even before then.
IT BETTER!

>mfw Anno decides to do his own trilogy which involves a more creepier looking hybrid King Kong
FUCKING FUND IT PLEASE

there there, little pal. I hear there's a new capeshit coming out soon like guardians of the galaxy 2. you'll be okay :)

Too bad it was a Japanese movie. It has the trifecta of modern Japanese cinema:
>shit overacting
>shit cg and visual effects in general
>shit cinematography i.e. the snap zoom ala JJ Abrams
Seems like the biggest thing this had going for it was that it had a big wig anime guy running the show.

if anything, I hope this gives anno the cred he needs to make a live action Evangelion.

you are complaining about bad characterization when Shin Godzilla was just as bad, and that is ignoring the Godzilla series in general. I liked Shin Godzilla, and enjoyed the political behind the scenes stuff in between attacks, but don't pretend that any character was special. Gojira is probably the only one with memorable characters and that is pushing it, but don't let your inner-weeb cloud your judgement.

2014 was just as good Godzilla film to stand with the Toho films, you have bland characters who are on screen for 2/3 of the movie. Godzilla's scenes are a handful but do enough to keep you interested. My only complaint about 2014 was the lack of the nuclear backstory and having Godzilla fight other monsters instead of being similar to Shin Godzilla or Gojira, in which Godzilla is just a force of nature that rampages through a city for no reason.

desu I don't need a sequel that will ruin this perfect ending.

He def needs to do more live action stuff

My current top five:
1. Godzilla vs. Biollante
2. Godzilla (54)
3. Godzilla vs. King Gidorah
4. Shin Godzilla
5. Godzilla (14)

completely agree with you boyo
the only way it would work is if they picked it up directly where it left off and addressed the humanoid godzillas. it wouldn't be a kaiju movie, but it would be pretty cool to see a swarm of freaky little godzilla men devouring the city.

The problem with 2014 Godzilla is that he's literally a cameo in his own movie. You could cut Godzilla 100% from that film, simply just have the Muto eat a bomb or some stupid shit and it would be 99% the same.

It's a film called Godzilla, that barely features Godzilla, has zero focus on Godzilla and he is completely inconsequential to the plot.

Not to mention the human characters and their story is 100% pointless by the end because Godzilla just waltzes in from nowhere and kills the Muto with ease. Meaning basically everything they did was pointless.

Also this is on top of the fact Aaron Taylor Johnson just sucks all life off the screen, they kill the only interesting character in the first 2 minutes and the monsters have basically no presence until the end of the movie, then we don't even get to see any real destruction.

Oh and finally, all the false advertising for the movie just pissed me off.

>The movie is going to be a homage to 1954 and Godzilla is going to be a force of nature, look at these trailers, with hundreds of dead bodies everywhere and Oppenheimer speaking with untold destruction and down planes and everything. The theme of this movie will be the destruction that results from not fighting climate change.

Literally none of that was in the movie.
I have no idea what the fuck went wrong in the making of that movie, but they somehow went from 10/10 teasers and trailers and ideas, to 1/10 shit.

Absolutely not. There are a number of Godzilla films with legitimately interesting characters and stories surrounding them, namely the early films helmed by Honda. Unlike Godzilla 2014, there was often a sense of fun and adventure to be enjoyed. G14 took itself far too seriously and lacked the group dynamics offered by many Toho Godzilla films which compensated for the lack of individual character depth. Brevity and levity. Stop making excuses for your crappy film by throwing the franchise under the bus.

>shit overacting

This is legit probably one of the best acted Japanese movies i've seen. Only person overacting was female Kaji.

>shit cg and visual effects in general
CG was perfectly fine and absolutely stunning at some points. Yes, it wasn't Hollywood level, but it also had a budget of 10 million dollars, not 200 million.

>shit cinematography i.e. the snap zoom ala JJ Abrams

You be trolling bitch, one of the major things reviewers and viewers all point out was the beautiful cinematography in this film.

holy kek just kys already

being a contrarian is just fucking sad lol

>being a contrarian is just fucking sad lol

Even Rolfe says 1998 is better than 2014.

>Oh and finally, all the false advertising for the movie just pissed me off.

>Advertising Cranston as the protag

>advertising godzilla as a threat
>advertising the plot being about discovering godzilla

What I liked the most about Shin Godzilla is that despite Godzilla being fucking 60 years old and in 31 fucking movies this somehow managed to be exciting and fresh feeling.

It's a basic retelling of Godzilla too, doesn't even do anything especially crazy like other Godzilla film.

Yet somehow just seeing him charge up his atomic breath for the first time was fucking amazing and legitimately scary. Godzilla was actually creepy in this movie. It's the first time since watching the original Gojira as a kid that I felt actually unsettled by him.

He specifically says the opposite more than one.

I think it was to solidify his status as a god. A taker of life, but also a giver of new life. In line with his whole evolution, I guess his reaction to humanity was to diversify. But also Anno.

again, that is bullshit. Of the Honda films, only Mothra vs Godzilla and Ghidorah have some sort of semblance of characterization, everything is else is pretty much filler and bullshit. Look at Monster Zero for fucks sake.

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974) is my favorite movie but holy shit does the bullshit human plot lag only for a few minutes of the three fight scenes.

>Unlike Godzilla 2014, there was often a sense of fun and adventure to be enjoyed. G14 took itself far too seriously and lacked the group dynamics offered by many Toho Godzilla films which compensated for the lack of individual character depth

because you can't expect the average movie goer to accept your typical Godzilla film, not only that, but even as a Godzilla fan, sometimes I can't even take seriously the plots of the movies even when I know I'm not supposed to. The overacting is an example of the actors trying to take themselves seriously that it looks dumb. Just say that in your opinion you disliked 2014 instead of saying it is shit, which are two different things.

>2014 Godzilla is that he's literally a cameo in his own movie

I agree with you completely, it was one of my few complaints.

>Not to mention the human characters and their story is 100% pointless by the end because Godzilla just waltzes in from nowhere and kills the Muto with ease.

you just described pretty much 2/3 of the movies

>Oh and finally, all the false advertising for the movie just pissed me off.

yeah, I mentioned it in my post, and was annoyed at the "death, destroyer of worlds" metaphor that never was.

Last time I checked I saw 91%. That is such a shame. This was way better than the 2014 in my opinion. There was no forced romance or anything of that sort. I was actually enthralled by how they were going to stop the most OP version of Godzilla so far. It was silly at moments without it feeling forced or son of Godzilla ridiculous. To me it was the perfect blend with fresh new ideas that make me excited at future movies to come.

What's with the guy in the background? In the trailer he looks excited as he swings back on his chair.

What's going on here?

>I have no idea what the fuck went wrong in the making of that movie

I would like to see the original screenplay.

I would almost make a bet the film was originally going to be about Cranston and Watanabe trying to find a way to destroy Godzilla and the Muto's who are just wrecking everything in their monster mashes.

Then because design by committe from above, they had to rewrite it to be about US marines and some generic family shit because USA USA USA.

They discover that Godzilla is radioactive and that is how he powers himself. It's a "HOLY SHIT IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE?!?"

Then they go online to twitter and 2ch and shit and realize everyone else in the general public already figured that out. Again, with the joke being how slow the Government response is.

oh that scene. It's when he finds out Godzilla feeds on radiation. Previously, one girl suggested that Godzilla can maintain itself with radiation and this guy laughed it off as impossible. It's a weird but kinda humorous scene.

>mfw shinya tsukamoto out of nowhere

How exaggerated is the commentary about the governments response to the disaster?

"Overacting" > Literally Looking Like You Want to Kill Yourself

I'd take simple, likeable characters over the horrid "characterization" of Godzilla 2014. Gojira (1954), Mothra vs Godzilla, Ghidorah, and Monster Zero all have better casts than G14. The characters of Godzilla 2014 are your standard blockbuster fare with no life in them, not that many of them had an opportunity to shine anyway. Edwards try to pull off an Alien or Jaws and failed miserably.

2014 was decent. Quckass was a shit protag but Godzilla 2 and GvsKK will fix the lack of Godzilla screentime.

I hope a sequel to shin is made. I can easily see Shin's new origin being used to create Biollante, Hedorah, or even Monster X/Keizer Ghidorah

>Then they go online to twitter and 2ch and shit and realize everyone else in the general public already figured that out. Again, with the joke being how slow the Government response is.
KEK

Now I'm sitting here wishing Jet Jaguar was in Pacific Rim 2

Why does it feel like Goji just stands still during all of Shin Godzilla? I was surprised they didn't make him a practical effect by how little he seemed to move.

He seemed more active and alive as a rubber suit, but Shin Goji just felt like a statue.

maybe it was to make him seem more implacable and unnatural. it did seem like there was an effort (with that form at least) to avoid having him move or act in ways that seemed animal-like

Anno loves his lumbering giants tho

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gomennasai

it's depicted exactly how Japan would react in a real life situation. slow bureaucratic processes.

Not at all really, it's done in a way that feels more humorous than heavy handed. The level of red tape and semantics around everything feels like a government that hasn't prepared at all for giant monster attacks and has no idea how to respond, which they wouldn't.

As an example is at one point they use a policy involving the SDF's deployment, which is specifically for an attack from another country. And somebody point out that Gojira in't a country.

It's always played entertainingly, and it's entertaining because of how realistic it feels.

There was a lot of that. People laughing off theories then immediately being proven wrong.

The sequels will feel weird in comparison if the new Godzillas are more active and living.

I wonder how the 2017 animated movie will tie into Shin Godzilla, if at all.

>2017 animated movie
Shit I can't wait already.

Will Godzilla be an alien?

As someone who works in the public service, completely unrealistic.

You see, 2/3 of the senior figures would be away their monthly annual leave, so you would have to wait 2 weeks to get the entire committee back together to approve anything.

They acted way too fast in that movie.

Isn't there any love for Pacific Rim?

Sure, it wasn't perfect, but for an original concept it was pretty damn good, I absolutely LOVE the monster designs (epecially Otachi, what a sexy beast) and the world building was really good.

Just wish we got a few more fights that weren't in the dark and or rain, but I know they had to.

Who knows but Gen Urobuchi is writing so it will likely be great

I just hope it's not all CGI or something, Sidonia was and this is the same studio

Low-key Ikiru remake?

It probably will be since Polygon specializes in that area. I'm keeping an open mind though.

It's funny, inside of all the political commentary and slow process of meetings and signatures and policies the Japanese government was actually much smarter than usual this time around. The actually had plans, even if they took a long time to set in motion.

I also loved the bit with the biologists because of how fucking useless the "experts" were, but is right they all would have shown up a week late and on different day in real life.

I was actually just thinking about this, and realized it was genius. american godzilla moved way too much, making it seem more like a wild beast.

The way shin godzilla just slowly shuffled along, and barely moved, made him seem all that more menacing, like a force of nature

> Filler and bs
G14 in a nutshell

> sometimes I can't even take seriously the plots of the movies even when I know I'm not supposed to
This meme needs to die. Minus a few exceptions maybe, the plots to these films aren't difficult to digest or accept. Especially in the age of the comic book film.

Just compare the way they roared too, with shin goji practically shrieking up into the sky instead of roaring at something or in some kind of display

That is straight up the "Eva Unit-01 walking away after Sachiel blows itself up" shot.

His second form he moved a ridiculous amount and seemed to be in immense pain, but by his fourth form he looked more like a god. Which the title and characters refer to him as. Not destroying Tokyo by choice, no ripping apart buildings. He only used atomic breath in self defense and initially didn't seem even capable of controlling it. His first use of it starts too cool, and it just comes out in flames before he's able to get it right.

Simply his presence is the cause of all the destruction. Lumbering forward seemingly mindlessly.

I would be fucking shocked if they continued on with this story. If Toho keeps making them (which they likely will after all the money this one made), they'll probably do the Millennium Series thing, and make the next one a re-re-re-re-re-re-reboot.

Anno's jumping back into Eva now, so he's out.

who knows. since its a movie, there are no short deadlines for the animators, so it probably will have more quality

kek

Are we getting a Blu Ray release of Shin Godzilla in NA?

Hello, are these worth watching?

yes
also, its getting dubbed

Can we get this guy in?

That hasn't stopped high budget anime movie before.

I need more smug goji.

>when you work 24/7 in an office without coffee

The human-like nature of them makes me wonder if it means something.

Like if he absorbs other organisms into himself even after he came to the surface

Kaiju threads are always god-tier. It's an absolute rarity on Cred Forums.

>from that Kaiju short Anno did with Ghibli
mate they're from nausicaa, animating them was one of anno's first real jobs in the industry

in the movie they refer to it as "photons"

No thanks, I want to understand the plot.

Now we all loved G16, but how does Cred Forums feel about GMK?

I don't think G14 is that bad. It's really not much worse than 2000 or your average showa film[/spoiler[

This is pretty good taste, but I have yet to watch vs. Destoroyah

I live in the UK

What's my best hope of seeing true kaijukino?

It's plasma.

Someone gave him a (You)

TORRENT PLEASE

I want to make an extremely low budget kaiju film using real suits and no CGI. I have access to Japan, cheap silicone suits, and limitless Japanese children. I'm an experienced screenwriter. I can write and produce but I'd want to find a Japanese director. I have a premise as well. What would you want to see in a kaiju film, Cred Forums?

Am I the only one here who enjoyed both Pacific Rim and Shin Godzilla? They're 2 different movies going for different tones and stories and I think they both succeeded in what they set out to do.

youtube.com/watch?v=kJZBt6wTNe0
do it m8, you could become the next anno that way

Best of the Millennium series. It threw me off a little when Ghidorah was teaming up with Mothra but the effects are decent and it's nice to see Godzilla as the villain again.

Tremors is kaiju, just not gaikaiju. In the west, kaiju seems to refer to giant monster movies, even though it means just monster movies in Japan. Gaikaiju is giant monster movies in Japan.

shin godzilla vs amerizilla WHEN

Most badass Godzila
This scene is so memorable

TORRENT FUCKING WHEN AAAAAAA

Why Cred Forums doesn't like Pacific Rim again?

the plot is shit

Yo is there a webm of this without the moonrunes all over it

I like PR, but it has a very generic story and cast and the story is told in a very formulaic way.

This also highlights something about Shin Godzilla, how absolutely creative it was from a story telling perspetive.

When every fucking US movie these days has to be about "Muh stoic ex marine", Shin Godzilla looked at a monster attack, from a very entertaining, political satire viewpoint.

I think it sort of shows how limited and safe playing Hollywood is and how much more creative people are outside Hollywood.

I mean, Shin Godzilla had a budget of 10 million yet was more entertaining than any blockbuster action or sci-fi film i've seen in years.

it just occured to me that this movie is like the german satire He is Back

Pacific Rim went with a very Hollywood cliche formula, where it reduced the scale of everything to serve the narrative flow. Reducing the backstory of the Kaiju and how hard it was for humanity to come up with a solution means we can get to the main hero faster. Setting the fights in dark open ocean means we can focus on the main character and his romantic lead more instead of building up the drama and stakes that destroying a city full of real live people will have. Let's make the action cartoony so people won't think of the destruction in terms of how many orphans it will create or how many years it will take to rebuild, just KEWL BOAT SORDZ and MOOOTANT POWURZ. All in all it was a lot of effort in service of what amounted to Del Toro mashing his action figures together, which Shinzilla is a deliberate rejection of.

More like Utopia (Aus), Yes Prime Minister, The Hollowmen, The Thick of It etc.

All satire's taking the piss out of Government bureaucracy.

Yo what the fuck is it with Japanese movies and the stale color palette?

Not saying it looks bad or anything, it actually looked pretty nice in Shin Godzilla.

I guess it's just different from the orange/blue that's used in American movies.

shingoji is a solid 8/10 for me and my gay ass will add on a bonus point for how much screentime takahashi issei got

>With the advent of genuine Kajiu Kino and the utter BTFOing of Godzilla 2014,
>People actually believe this
Faggots like you who only got into godzilla when they started pushing the edgy bullshit era make me fucking sick. Shin Godzilla was garbage and I hope you kys.

>kys
>ur edgy
underage detected

BASED FUCKING JAPS ARE BACK IN THE DRIVERS SEAT

I just watched the trailer, and guess what, it was so refreshing not to see some token nigger for once just for the sake of diversity

I think the biggest mistake of 2014 is they killed off Bryan Cranston and made it solely about Aaron Taylor Johnson instead of having that Father/Son bonding story throughout the film. Would have been much more interesting.

I wonder how many people who hate this movie have only ever seen Godzilla vs other monster movies.

The original Godzilla movie was all about politics, about the nuclear war and how japan was a weakened nation.

That is exactly what Anno did with this version. It's a recreation of the original Godzilla, and as reboots go it was a damn good one. Godzilla 2014 was all about the kaiju meme of Godzilla, where was Shin Godzilla was all about the message from the original film, only more modern.

Anno's basically saying Japan is weak, that it is constantly depending on big brother America to save it. It's older generation of leaders are weak and more worried about their image than what is best for the nation. If anything I think the film was meant as a pro-armament propaganda to get Japan to militarize.

I posted pic related on normiebook to show how excited I was for this and a friend unironically linked a 3 minute long jewtube video entirely about that maymay.

I hate my normie friends, yet love them all the same.

That scene was so fucking amazing. Our theater was pretty good about staying quiet as it was, but when this happened the whole theater did some quiet gasps and then super quiet. It was just that fucking good.

Daily remember ShinGoji is not the first Japanese full CGI Godzilla by Toho
m.youtube.com/watch?v=X_uCcaaIavc

Remember when american movies used to be that way too? And how good they were compared to now?

Silly question, but when does Shin Gojira get released on blu-ray?

After Rebuild 4.

Is this a joke.

Rebuild doesn't release until like a while into 2017.

I still haven't seen this kaijukino. Nearest theater is 3 hours away. I honestly will probably have to wait until BD release. Knowing Anno it'll be out soon, r-right lads?

>Anno
>Godzilla
>Japan
>Blu-Ray

Ahahahahahaha

STOP IT LAD

I JUST WANNA SEE GOJIRRA MAKE A SHAFT OF LIGHT

IT'S ALL I NEED

I WEAR A VOID
NOT EVEN HOPE
A DOWNWARD SLOPE
IS ALL I SEE

that would all be in toho's hands, wouldn't it? probably early next year

It's over, capeshit is finished.

Yeah probably. I was trying to meme.

The script was like an evangelion fanfic made by a 12 YO with down syndrome and the character design was awful.

>People like this are breathing from your oxygen right now

>that second review

everything wrong with the modern movie audience in one image.

what a waste of oxygen

I hope I'm still alive to see that come out.

I liked the monsters and the robots but everything else was eh

Surely to god, Khara hasn't just been sitting on their hands while Anno was working on Godzilla. If I was a gambler, I would have guessed by then end of next year, considering it's not only the 20th anniversary of EoE, but the 10th anniversary of 1.0. That said, I also guessed that it was coming out in 2015 for the 20th anniversary of NGE, and the fact that it was the year that NGE took place.

Speaking of which, why haven't we gotten the BDs of NGE and EoE?

if it stays above 75% it'll become fresh, you just have to wait a bit

That is how it works?

Thought it need to surpass a 6.5/10 even if it surpassed 75%

We need to destroy their oxygen

Whens the new Gamera movie coming out? I watched the Heisei trilogy last month and they were fucking amazing

Should i buy the godzilla 54 criterion blu ray

Seriously, Eva Blu-rays don't even have a western release yet

It is the best version out there, at least as an occidental release.

when they found you are a CTR shill

Will it change my life

I enjoyed it initially, but after 2 or 3 viewings the weaknesses in the script and characterizations really make themselves known
Even when you compare it to something like Shin Godzilla, made by a man who has directed anime before, all of the characters in Pacific Rim feel like they have the depth and substance of bad anime characters, which becomes difficult to get past considering their interactions and the way the react to the events around them are supposed to form the emotional and storytelling framework you hang the fights on
The action scenes themselves are enjoyable, and to the Del Toro's credit they don't skimp on the monsters or robots the way somebody else might, but it ultimately isn't enough to give it any real staying power

>tfw it was playing nearby
>tfw it is no longer playing nearby

it was ok but not amazing
also some people in my theater wouldn't shut up and tried to make everything a joke even if it was serious.

7/10

fuck, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought this scene was great

RELEASE THE DAMN TORRENT

Yeah people were laughing in my cinema during some godzilla scenes :/

I wish we got more of him during the night shots though as well as more people running from him

People were giggling during the baby Goji scenes, but when big G was on the screen it was pretty much complete silence

This film made me respect Japanese people so much.

They are a people who truly care for their country and people.

The Power Rangers audience

gee I dunno man when somebody calls something a masterpiece what are they generally trying to convey?

The shots of sea fish Godzilla were amazing.

>Blood dripping from gills
>His scary big eyes

That scene when he got up right and he just didnt move at all for a few seconds as all went quiet: PERFECT.

Very well directed. I do wish the CGI was a bit better in some scenes otherwise it was really great

10/10 original masterpiece of a film

I swear the shots of Godzilla crumbling a building, the train scene is so amazing for 1954.

The practical effects are so realistic I am not joking!

How it was edited together during those scenes were absolutely brilliant. Way more realistic than 1933's Kong which of course is still an amazing piece of old cinema.

I wish this 2016 one used more practicals. Otherwise Godzilla really looked great close up

>no enemy monster to fight
Are you fucking kidding??

Am I the only one who prefers Godzilla to be evil instead of him helping humans?

I infact cheered when I first knew that Shin Godzilla didnt have any other beasts in it and that Godzilla was the only one

G54 is a japanese masterpiece at the level of Kurosawa films, don't let anyone tell you otherwise, it is a perfect film with perfect pace, characters, action and cinematography and it influenced many important movie directors, including Spielberg.

>A PM caring for his people and not wanting 1 slight civilian to die is bad politics
I am sorry that this film actually had caring human beings.

Btw I saw this film with my friend who hasnt seen any Godzilla film before and he told me how great it was to see Japanese politics and how things are handled.

Yes this film wasnt just about Godzilla destroying buildings but it was meant to be very realistic after all if something like this were to actually happen.

I personally thought we could have used 1 or 2 more scenes of Godzilla otherwise I did not at all feel that the politics dragged on too much. The editing was well done and I actually enjoyed the human characters' company and all the decisions that they had to go through.

It's an intelligent film

What happened to this scene? I saw it in a trailer but it didnt appear in the cinema version...

Btw I missed the first few minutes of the movie btw when I walked into the cinema (when they were discussing about it being a volcano in the ocean or something) before Zilla made its way to land.

No, it's incredibly dull.

Are you kidding? It reminded me of 1979'' Alien when I first saw it.

Absolute perfect pacing, characters, the practical effects are the best for a 50s film.

The Jap Godzilla movie will suck, it will have way to much godzilla and not nearly enough character development for the human characters

godzila is just the plot device

0 taste mate, apply yourself.

>Btw I missed the first few minutes of the movie

That's where it was.

Loved it, the Hong Kong Battle is a marvelous action scene and Mako's flashback is a beautifully realized as both a vfx and emotional set piece

I liked the new film a lot. My biggest complaint is that the end felt really anticlimactic. After all the buildup of Godzilla being so frightening and Godlike, I was legit surprised that their plan to stop him was so successful. Anyone else feel this way?

>Anno's basically saying Japan is weak, that it is constantly depending on big brother America to save it. It's older generation of leaders are weak and more worried about their image than what is best for the nation. If anything I think the film was meant as a pro-armament propaganda to get Japan to militarize.
What a right wing militarist-nationalist

If they were not succesful Godzilla would have probably destroyed the world in his final, humanoid form.

I thought the same at first but upon further thought I realize that it's a good climax because Japan spent so long being able to do nothing and now they finally secceeded.

There's always the risk he'll come back and, if he does, not only will he be stronger, the United States will annihilate Tokyo immediately to avoid further escalation.

Just what you'd expect from the master, mister Anno

I don't think they had to fail necessarily, but I thought the plan should have gone over a bit less smoothly. Maybe they didn't calculate correctly and they didn't have enough coagulant, so they have to improvise another way to cool him down before he evolves again.

well he still wiped out the first crane team and they managed to freeze him just barely since he still managed to stand upright and keep moving for a second

>dreams

A good kaiju kino

Nah they handled it well

>OH SHIT HIS TAIL
I actually thought he wasnt gonna be stopped

But the leftist in Japan are pro USA

It is the right wing who were interested in 1) military 2) war history and 3) self determination

Which is why all good Japanese movies are made by right wing

>Japanese government need to keep Godzilla frozen
Jesus
Godzilla is AKIRA

>The sequel: a political film about America destroying Japan because of Godzilla
>This sends the world into complete shock with an entire country being destroyed
>Suddenly Godzilla re-emerges now the biggest that we have ever seen
>He makes his way to the USA
>Now the US must decide if they want to destroy a quarter of their own country
10/10 would watch and it would be a masterpiece of drama.

PLEASE MAKE THIS ANNO

It's perfect for a sequel

Ghidra the Three-Headed Monster was the first Godzilla movie I ever watched, and led to me always liking him the most out of the "villains".

Seeing a King Ghidorah centric movie would be sick

>that shot of the street being demolished near beginning
>1 second shot of Godzilla's big eye
>immediate cut
PERFECTLY EDITED!

Also the ending of the film is by far one of the best endings I've seen recently.

>Complete silence and no sound
pan up to Godzilla's tail, showing the skeletons of people which looked like something out of Carpenter's The Thing
Quick cut to credits as music booms through speakers!

This is the first Anno movie that I have seen and I was very impressed with the editing and cinematography. I hope he makes more movies.

She's a cute

>Monster Zero
>filler

Are you retarded? The Godzilla stuff is FILLER, that film is clearly in the vein of Mysterians.

Did they build an entire office set during the final scene? It looked like they tipped a whole office on its side to get the feel that a building was falling.

Also I know some stuff was CGI but the moving boats and cars looked real although of course they used CGI cars when Godzilla was pounding his way through street but you could work out when some practicals popped up.

I do wish we got practicals of Godzilla himself instead of him being fully CGI (correct me if I am wrong but I think he was).

The Godzilla of the 2014 movie was so filler.

He wasnt even the main part and that is what I hated about it.

It had nothing to do with his screen time. I just hated that they rather showed more of that other beast (forgot name) and I dont like Godzilla being a "friend of humans". He is better off being a simple big beast

>the American military and administration are performed by Japanese actors and actress
>they all speak engrish

Well, to be fair, most people in the japanese embassies are japanese.

This is probably also the first time they use online video, selfie, user comments, media-res, laptop cam etc in a Godzilla movie

There are even two photos of Japan being bombed out of nowhere. I mean it's really out of nowhere

I thought the handle of internet was done well.

Just some quick shots of people talking on twitter and thats it.

Also I liked how the main characters werent holding iphones in every scene.

I hate when movies nowadays do that like the new seasons of simpsons when they use modern technology so much.

I liked it when the main characters randomly spoke English.

>Japanese subtitles appear

>originally it was Gojira and sounded like whale
>Americans invented the association with God
>Anno played along with it and let the name be given by a Japanese in USA
>the name now has both Kanji and reference to Japanese gods, English name and reference to God, and then a neutral Katagana spelling

Autism to his core

Yeah but she wants to be president

Well, Arnie was governor of Cali and he doesn't know how to speak proper english either.

>tfw I don't live in burgerland
>tfw no european release

Fuck you I want to give you money.

The bureaucrats speak formal Japanese with fully japanized English loan words

They only code switch to engrish when talking with the American girl.

They don't make good kaiju (strange beast) in Japan like they used to in the 1950s and 1960s. kaiju used to be cool & interesting before the studio known as Legendary Pictures invented the "monster film" (knockoff kaiju) genre in the year 2013 with the creation of the well-known flick (amatuer film) "Pacific Rim". Kaiju (strange beast) have not been the same since, and will never return to the CLASSIC GOLDEN AGE (1954 ~ Showa 28) of the industry when only cool kaiju (strange beast) such as "Gojira", "Gamera" and "King Kong" have been made. Modern day "otakus" (KAIJU* fan) only enjoy "monster film" (knockoff kaiju) flicks* such as "Pacific Rim" and "Monsters: Dark Continent" -- This is direct evidence of a strong lack of good taste and appreciation of the kaiju* genre and shows that the otaku (KAIJU* fan) culture is as good as dead to me and should be celebrated no longer. The only hope for the kaiju* genre's survival is the creation of new kaiju* such as "Godzilla Resurgence" and "Kong: Skull Island" which I am very much looking forwards to due to the fact that I AM a real otaku (kaiju fan) unlike all modern-day fakers and casual's**

This guy

He was so unpopular when Attack onTitans

Actually everybody became unpopular when attack on titans. But they are all vindicated now

>Anno revived the series
>I hope Toho can continue to be this creative and original

You all know this is original only because it has the advantage of being the first of the reboot series right ?

Anno's card can only be played once. From the second movie on they have to be built on a world when people and governments take kaiju for granted

When will we get a movie with best kaiju?

It will be fresh just because it will be the first full fledged anime Godzilla

Is it gonna take place at a high school

No, from the poster I can deduce it is gonna be in a distant future with spaceships and shit.

I love these kinds of shots. Something about having large, unstoppable monsters so far away always makes them seem even more menacing. LIke in Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla when mechagodzilla is stomping through Okinawa and you can barely see him, but you can hear his stomps and cries. It's so eerie and threatening.

Stay away from the harem shit and that sounds pretty good

Toho doesn't behave as such, Godzilla is the anti-thesis of anime.

Wish we were still getting that Pacific Rim animated series...maybe if the second does well. Gonna miss Del Toro's direction though.

>Bump limit

Should we make a new thread?

The tank scene and the shot where there was a go pro/mounted cam on rear of thr tank as it was spinning gave me an orgasm

Agreed, a return to fucking form, he's a nuclear allegory, destruction incarnate. Pissed me off that not only did he fight enemy monsters in 2014, but that he seemed to go out of his way to prevent collateral damage.