Stagecoach
The Searchers
Red River
The Wild Bunch
The Magnificent Seven (1960)
The Dollars Trilogy
Once Upon a Time in the West
Unforgiven

Watched the Criterion release of the OP's film today.

It was really fucking good.

Butch Cassidy and Sundance Kid, it's so perfect, watch it, it's my favorite movie of all time.

Josey Wales is the purest, most unadultered form of Western to have ever been condescended into viewing media form. It stands a giant among all other Westerns.

>mfw dyin ain't much of a living

lol

no.

Westworld l0l

The Searchers is always universally acclaimed but it left me cold. I only watched it once but thought it was very average.

Unforgiven is the most overrated film of all time. It's beyond me how people seemed to have collectively forgotten all the complex revisionist westerns between the 50s and 70s, then Eastwood makes the most shallow and literal one after the genre is dead and that somehow becomes the be-all end-all of them.

Is Jeremiah Johnson a western?

Fuck I want to pick up the new criterion blu ray version of this but I want to wait until it goes on sale, same with Akira Kurosawa's Dreams.

It's free online right now :)

The Searchers becomes better after you've seen westerners before it - and Ford's filmography prior to it - and then watch modern 'unconventional' westerners like 'Unforgiven' and realize that The Searchers did what they tried to do far better.

It was my first time watching it (but I've seen other Altman stuff) and I loved it. Damn the cinematography, there's just something about it when x color takes over the scene (red in whorehouse, warm colors in other scenes, green in Sheehan's bar, blue in winter), beautiful to watch.

there's something about the look of this film that gives me the impression that it was pure hell to restore

I watched the searchers last year and I loved it so much that it got me into westerns. Dollars trilogy is so fucking amazing.

Never liked spaghetti westerners (in general) or Leone myself.

Zgismond said no two prints of the movie he saw ever ended up looking the same. It was incredibly fickle to damage and light

It really has an all or nothing response to people. Personally I can't think of a sadder character in all of film than Ethan Edwards, and all based on a single scene and gesture. It upends everything you think about him. I could think about it forever and always want to cry

Blazing Saddles
The Assassination of Jesse James
Bad Company
Maverick
The Terror That Came to Tiny Town

I have never seen it. Is it worth watching?

It might be hard to restore since a lot of the color takes over scenes, like fills the screen, and then there is lot of noise. Easy to screw color, detail in single adjustment when it has only one color to tinker with..

Heaven's Gate is fantastic.

Well, yeah, to me at least. It's long as fuck and "boring" at times but it's a truly beautiful film that doesn't deserve the initial hate it got.

"boring"
please be trollan

Fun fact, John Wayne is mimicking Fords mannerisms in this shot as a gesture of gratitude.

That town they created was pretty special, but fuck is this movie long.

I don't personally find it boring. I'm just saying that there's a lot of slow moments that the general movie-going audience won't really appreciate.

I find them to be the best kind of westerns that I've watched so far.

>It's Clint Eastwood's fault I have shit taste.

the good the bad the ugly

This

Something like Johnny Guitar is ten times the film Unforgiven is (or, teh Searchers)