Nicky Fury

>BLACKED

What was the initial reaction to this casting? I was only a youngling back then.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Ht5APXTFgOE?t=15s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck white people

There was already a version of Nick Fury who was black, and literally based on Sam Jackson.

This, absolutely no one gave a fuck

He's a badass motherfucker, so people are alright with it.

The Ultimate version of the character literally looks like him, so people didn't care.

The MCU takes some stuff from the Ultimate universe, mainly how the characters look/their costumes.

Cred Forums btfo

Some people threw a bitch fit. Most people didn't care because of the Ultimate stuff like people said.

I saw a lot more worrying over whether Thors hammer would be that hideous axe thing from Ultimate because of this casting though.

Everybody liked the casting.

There was a lot of bull preppers back in the day.

I was ok with it
It was the movie universe
But when they made 616 fury black I got pissed

Do you think they were planning to have him as Fury all the way back from whenever he was introduced in the comics?

i didn't care because i wasn't a fucking manchild reading comic fucking books

I bet Disney was influencing everything

>Holy shit is that mother fucking Sam Jackson in Ironman? Thats fucking sick dude!
Its always okay when Samuel L Jackson does it.

1: Nick Fury isn't a character that many people really cared all that much about
2: It's Samuel L fucking Jackson

nig fury was so much better in the comics. nothing is cool about a fat old SLJ shooting at hydra.

Not only the Ultimate universe, in the 616 he's Nick Fury Jr. (Sort of like a James Bond thing)

According to the writer, no.

>"Sam is famously the coolest man alive, and both myself and artist Bryan Hitch just liberally used him without asking any kind of permission. You have to remember, this was 2001 when we were putting this together. The idea that this might become a movie seemed preposterous, as Marvel was just climbing out of bankruptcy at the time."

>Obviously, however, Marvel did get in to the movie business, and it was time to bring in Nick Fury as the recruiter or Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. Jackson, as it turned out, was an avid comic reader, and was very familiar with the work that Millar had done. It indirectly led to his hiring for Iron Man, and his involvement in all phases of the MCU. So as Millar remembers it, he recently got to hang out with Jackson on the set of Kingsman: The Secret Service -- yet another adaptation of a Millar story. The writer jokingly apologized for "completely exploiting" the actor’s image and likeness for a character, and asked if he was annoyed. To which Jackson perfectly responded:

>"Fuck no, man! Thanks for the nine-picture deal!"

Disney didn't even acquire Marvel until 2010. Ultimate Nick Fury was introduced in 2001 in the comics and SLJ was cast in 2008, before Disney bought Marvel.

Better than Hasslehoff.

Nick Fury, with the power to be BLACK.

Literally, that's his only power. There's no reason why he should be on the Avengers. Even Black widow is more competent than him.

Everyone was hyped because they knew the story behind Ultimate Universe Nick Fury.

Everyone liked, it even had some form of backing from the comics considering the ultimate universe Fury is literally Sam Jackson. One of the very few times changing the race of a character worked out with no backlash and probably for the better.

kys googgersucker

He's not on the Avengers, he's a paranoid old bureaucrat. I prefer it that way, honestly. Invincible Quipping Supermen never get super tense vulnerable scenes like this.

youtu.be/Ht5APXTFgOE?t=15s

>There's no reason why he should be on the Avengers

Good thing he isn't, you fucking goon.

Exactly. The character even namechecks Jackson. It was quite literally perfect casting. No one said a word against it as I recall.

He manages people.

Weirdly there was a line years back where Deadpool compared himself to Ryan Reynolds crossed with a Sharpei. Waaay before any movie business.