Will we ever get a good movie about this?

Will we ever get a good movie about this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k
youtube.com/watch?v=iHg_1Ni6k-c&feature=youtu.be&t=2375
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2nM1GEllg&index=2&list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Considering the source material is absolute garbage, probably not.

because it looks like some fedora who could draw had a wank fest and is totally impractical.

Considering the way people react to serious comickino like BvS, no.

Not unless it was rework into a comedy.
Or unless a lot of fetishes were worked in like Avatar.

Event Horizon

The budget would have to be huge to be worth it, don't think 40k has a big enough following for someone to greenlight it.

You shut your whore mouth, source material is ten times better than any other future sci-fi story out there.

Fucking blows startrek star wars or anything else out of the water

If we did it would be a watered down cringy Ultramarine flick

It's literally "that kid" tier lore.

Hopefully no.
And I say this as a fan.

aren't the fans doing that cgi movie already?

Many studios have approached GW in the past about making a movie and even a TV mini-series based off the 40K lore but GW won't do it.

They are far too protective of their IP. If they let a movie be made the studios would want merchandising rights that GW wouldn't have control over.

Even PP tried to have a movie made based on their Monsterpocalypse game and they lost control of it (mostly because they are idiots) due to failed negotiations and piss poor legal aid.

PP can't even sell Monpoc stuff anymore, and it's their own IP!

GW will never allow that to happen. They had IP issues just with the videogames being made, they won't let Hollywood get anywhere near it now.

Don't be silly user. 40k is daft.

at least its not YA for women like star wars is

>not posting the real version

most people who play won't even defend the hack "story"

Its not a story, its a setting. And a goofy one at that.

>only lore that attempts to create a believable universe under the premise that humans obtain super advanced technology
>daft

What's fucking daft is thinking mankind wouldnt militarize and genetically manipulate at the first sign of hostile alien species.

Literally all the money and focus would go into war power.

And then the 40k universe is born.

And alternate dimensional beings are actually not that crazy if some physics theories turn out to be right.

Fuck off, it's just a shitty Dune rip off

Most people who play have never read the books and don't understand the story/setting and just see super soldiers and demon super soldiers and make assumptions based off that

You're the only one bringing up star wars, sport.

>a believable universe
Just stop.

When your FTL is "Bad dreams with sharp teeth that try to eat your ship in psychic space hell" then even Star Trek is more believable.

No, we've read it nigger. My home board is /tg/

But 40k lore is fucking stupid. We both know that.

it's not stupid, it always Just As Planned

the codexes provide plenty of lore

Am I the only one who feels guilty for picking on faghammer 40gay fans?

>FTL literally impossible under current knowledge of physics
>System that has nothing to do when current understanding of physics is hard to believe

You do realize that FTL in star trek or star wars is theoretically "proven" to be impossible.
If FTL is achieved it would be through some unknown facet of the universe.

then you must think star wars and star trek are just as bad, relatively 40k does many things better than anything else in its niche

> I dunno. I don't see any writer or director that can properly envision the concept of Magnus did nothing wrong.

Depends.
Are you 14?
If yes, ytpou shouldn't feel bad.

Any older and you must really hate yourself to try and bump your ego by bullying people for playing toy soldiers.

>The Warp makes sense
>40k is better written than Trek or Wars

Please son, try to bait better.

>you must really hate yourself

Meh not necesarilly.
>IG is fighting Chaos cultists on some high tech Agri World
>mostly played out as a typical war movie up to the final third
>IG is now making a push for the traitors HQ
>some Chaotic bullshit is starting to happen, a few Daemons are now present
>once the air defense is taken out drop pods slam into the command bunkers
>Marines jump out and start slaughtering shit
>both the Marines and Daemons are shown as these gods of war, camera is never presenting them as the main characters in the scene
>reports get in that the Marines have killed the cult leadership and stoped the Daemonic incursion
>IG mop up the remaining forces, Marines leave the planet
The only problem is that it's pretty generic. If the studios decide that 40k is not popular enough for buying a license, they can just replace almost everything with generic sci fi military, power armored elites and some weird aliens.

Neither star trek nor star wars are serious attempts at what a hyper advanced universe spanning human empire would look like
They are fairy tales, lighthearted entertainment where the good guys are obviously good and the bad are obviously bad.

40k, with all its high fantasy elements, takes the world seriously and operates within shades of grey.

Your claim is like saying LOTR is better than the black company

question for the 40k nerds: is there like ever a discussion of day-to-day middle class humans living in the empire, you know just like smoking cigarettes and wondering about where all this intergalactic mumbo jumbo is going?

is there an art scene in their universe?

you know, maybe one plays pretty good acoustic guitar but then he knows he'd do better studying something useful? is there ever a quotidian human element or is it always super priapic war stuff?

'cause i'd watch a movie about the latter, actually. like hipsters in the year 40,000.

>40k is a serious attempt at a hyper advanced setting
>It is serious, nuanced and has shades of grey
Nigger I want what you are smoking.

The closest ypou get to that is background stuff in the Eisenhorn series. But for the most part its about the descent of a man to darkness. Dr Faustus with Bolters.

wars isn't any better written than 40k, just that one is targeted at women and the other at men

yes, there is tons of that stuff, many of the books have regular humans as main characters.
I really cannot stress how important the books are in understanding the scale and reality of the 40k universe.

You're being disingenuous.
All the books have regular humans as they operate within either the military machine or the Inquisition.

ok buddy, who are the bad guys in the 40k universe?

who are the bad guys in star wars?

again, without reading the books you have zero idea of just how complicated and fucked up the universe is.

maybe you don't understand what GRIMDARK really means

you will either get raped by chaos cultists, eaten by tyranids or crushed by necrons, brainwashed by taus, ripped apart by greenskins, exterminated by Inquisition, shot by arbites or starved to death because fuck you or a million other probable causes of death

>40k, with all its high fantasy elements, takes the world seriously and operates within shades of grey.

wew lad

Chaos.
The Necrons
The Nids
The Orks
Are all the bad guys.

Its really not that complicated as you are pretending.

horus heresy is full of remembrancers which are artist, poets, writers etc send to the fleets to spin some propaganda about the great crusade

Fucking Abaddon is a Saturday Morning Kids show villain.

So they only exist in terms of the ongoing wars huh.

Funny. Could have sworn I said that already.

Reminder that if you make excellent music you will end up summoning the Chaos god of pleasure.

So top tier music is heretical.

and you are just completely fucking wrong.

I'll give you a clue, there is a book called the "horus heresy" think about why it would be called that.

Also think about the nature of the emperor and what he stands for and does to enforce his rule.

those things you listed are bad, but they are just part of the environment.

You are really underestimating 40k.

The Imperium has over a million planets.
The planets only have to do the following things
>worship the Emperor, even only modifying their religion is ok (e.g. they can pray to the sun god as long as it's clear that the sun god is their interpretation of the Emperor)
>in return for Imperial protection and other bonuses (trading, technology adoption, etc) they have to pay tithes, which take several forms (raising IG regiments, supplying other planets, etc)
>accept Imperial presence on the planet if it's warranted, like the Ecclesiarchy, Adeptus Mechanicus, Arbites, etc
>follow the basic Imperial laws (psykers have to be monitored or given over to the Black Ships, no contact with aliens, recognize the Inquisition as the ultimate authority, etc)
Literally everything else is up to the Imperial Governor or whichever kind of leadership they have. So the posibilities are endless. Any kind of a setting, taking place on planets raging from mining outposts or tribal savages to ultra advanced industrial worlds or luxury resort planets is technically possible in 40k

Gee wizz, I never heard of the Horus Heresy.

Why don't you tell me all about the time the Evil Space Gods turned half the goodies into Baddies?

SOUNDS SO DEEEEEP.

why planets are the chillest to live in? like aren't a grimdark neverending cyclone of terror? are there cool drugs in 40k?

why dont you tell me about the time the dark side of the force turned a jedi into a sith lord?

It's like you don't understand where you are arguing from.
No one is claiming it is the deepest most nuanced and profound source material ever.

but RELATIVELY it is just as competent and in many way much more involved than anything else in the niche genre.

and I also take exception to your implication that the existence of gods in a story somehow cheapens the narrative in any way.

If aliens exist than it is not unreasonable to believe beings with powers and abilities we cannot fathom exist.

Orks are the good guys

fpbt
Exactly my thoughts. Warhammer is absolute garbage aimed at manchildren.

>No one is claiming it is the deepest most nuanced and profound source material ever.
They actually are, relative to even Star Wars or Star Trek.
And Star Wars is just the monomyth retold.

But 40k is a clustrerfuck. A literal clusterfuck of stolen ideas and concepts from other sci fi.

And you know what, despite that, I LOVE IT.

The difference between the two of us isn't a lack of understanding the lore. Oh no.

Its the fact that one of us either IS a fucking teenager who still takes 40k seriously or is ACTING like one.

I love 40k because its a fucking ridiculously over the top retarded setting. I'm not trying to pretend 40k is something it isn't.

Oi, quit yer mukkin abowt.
Orks ain't even guyz, deys Boyz.

nice backpedaling faggot.

I know exactly what 40k is, but I will defend it to the death against any faggot who thinks that he can trash the 40k universe while still jacking off to star wars or star trek or any other attempt in that vein.

The Chaos Gods are factually the bad guys because their endgame is literally devouring reality and replacing it with Chaos. Their worshippers can be morally grey or even the good guys in certain cases, but the Gods are straight up the evil bad guys.
Orks and Tyranids are also technically more evil than other races because they lack any excuses as to why they want to slaughter everyone in the galaxy.

Every Imperial planet is involved in the war somehow. Even if it's a safe planet that hasn't seen any conflict in millenia, their soldiers, goods or food are supplying the Imperial war machine.
For the normal masses places like the planets in the Ultramar system are really decent. There are also entire planets devoted to luxury,far away from conflict, but you have to be an influental and rich motherfucker to get on these Pleasure Worlds.
And ofcourse there are cool drugs. Cigarettes and combat drugs are the ones that feature the most ofcourse, but many normal ones also exist. As I've said, the Imperium is fucking huge so these drugs range from "weed or heroin, but it's called some fancy name so it's different and totally original" to "well it's some really badass synthetic shit that is also somehow imbued with the Warp".

>aren't a grimdark neverending cyclone of terror
Nowhere.
If you think enough "bad" thoughts, those bad thoughts turn into a monster that will eat your soul. Nowhere is safe.

Bad BTW includes curiosity about things you don't know.

>I will defend toy soldiers fiction to the death.
Great, so you're autistic.
What a surprise.

Sure, but there is as you pointed out, shades of grey and nuance.

Ahh, sweet sweet victory.

This isn't a Star Wars thread kiddo

>Being called autistic is a victory
What the hell is wrong with you if you consider autism an upgrade...?

Warhammer books are a lot of fun but to say the source material is ten times better than Star Trek makes you an edgy faglord.

No, its a thread about 40k

But the least we can do is be honest about what 40k is.

Its trash. Fun trash maybe, but trash.

Snyder will make it as his magnum opus

>ten times better than any other future sci-fi story out there
Clarke
Asimov
Heinlein

Capeshit is the big monies and it's literally the most childish thing ever

This isn't a capeshit thread though and I was saying we should be honest about 40k

But yes, capeshit is trash too. Your point?

Debate about sports
>Great, so you're a sports fanatic
Debate about politics
>Great, so you're a shill
Debate about capekino
>great, so you're a marvel fag

It doesn't matter what you defend or argue about, there is always someone who isn;t as interested as you who will attempt to undermine whatever the interest is, especially when they lose an argument in something they aren't really "into"
It usually comes in the form of a petty, baseless insult. On Cred Forums ppl like to use autist.

I hate people like you who have no imagination and can't appreciate fiction and stories that don't conform to what you understand, which is most likely very, very little. A story being "believable" has nothing to do with what we feel is possible by any means, by limits of science, religion or otherwise. It has everything to do with how it functions within itself and whether or not it is structured to have cause and effect, consequences in that fictional world. You are the kind of person who criticizes fiction for not being believable or relatable. You are the worst kind of human, because you'll actually take time to read a book or watch a movie, and then lie to someone with your disgusting notions that it's not realistic or believable, and you might succeed in swaying someone's opinion. It makes me really sad to think about what you might teach your children in regards to works of art like literature, film, or anything else. Believable fiction? Go somewhere, hopefully die where no one can hear your poison.

You literally said you would fight to the death over 40k lore. You're fine to enjoy whatever you want. But that level of devotion seems pretty damned autistic. I know a lot of people who know and love the setting, but they are also self aware and, sorry to say it, adult enough, to also see its flaws.

>This annoyed
>Over 40k
Bless.

trek is garbage compared to 40k

>muh social commentary

I was speaking figuratively, because I am passionate about something I am autistic?

I hope you didn't think I was being literal when I said I would fight to the death, because you would actually be autistic if you couldn't grasp i was speaking figuratively there

also
>implying I don't see its flaws

>because I am passionate about something I am autistic?
When you are saying its better than any other setting?
When you are deflecting any and all criticism to 40K as though its personal?
When you get upset enough to say that figuratively?
Yeah, you seem autistic.

Dude fuck off. I liked Event Horizon

Event Horizon would cease to feel so special if it was the equivalent of a local bus, if every journey was close to it.

>implying I am upset
>implying I am deflection any and all criticism
>implying speaking figuratively means i'm upset

I am of the opinion that it is better than any other world within it's niche genre, because it isn't fair to compare something like star wars or star trek against every sci-fi ever written.

The reason I spoke so vehemently for 40k was due to many trying to completely trash 40k as if it was utter shit.

If I am autistic for liking something too much then they and you must be autistic for hating it so much.

Can't we just have kino made out of this for a start?

No and it's better that nobody's going to try.

>The reason I spoke so vehemently for 40k was due to many trying to completely trash 40k as if it was utter shit.

Yes, and that is what makes you seem autistic.
You are lashing out at anyone you even perceive as disliking 40k. People having a different opinion over a set of fiction designed to sell toys shoiushoiuld not upset you this badly or make you react so "vehemently".

And now, you are putting words in my mouth. Saying 40k is trash doesn't mean I hate it. Plan Nine from outer space is trash too, but its still a fucking great watch.

If you can't understand that, its yet more evidence for you being somewhere on the spectrum.

Hopefully not. Terrible source material.

>tfw you can recognize specific autists on Cred Forums by their obnoxious posting style
My advice would be to not reply to this faggot.

I'm putting words in your mouth? you are literally putting autism in my brain dude

And the mental gymnastics you are engaging in to do so are hilarious.

Posting in an thread on a board meant to discuss shit like this isn't reacting you fucking moron, I come here to have discussions and I had one

It's pathetic you are really serious with the whole "you're an autist" meme and not just shitposting

>82 replies
>28 posters
sure is samefag in here

I'm analysing your responses. Not even as an insult, you seem autistic. I'd get it checked if I was you.

>Posting ... isn't reacting
In your words...
>The reason I spoke so vehemently for 40k was due to many trying to completely trash 40k as if it was utter shit.
That is reacting.

source material sucks, so nope

Source material is total garbage so...

Or, you know, some people actually discuss things with each other instead of one time shitposts for (you)s

you mom sucks nigger cocks

>source material is shit
>implying the actual source material isn't Dune

You are cherry picking out of my responses to try and support your inane narrative.

Me:I disagreed with something so I responded.

You: you fucking live and swear by 40k you are so autistic look how pissed you got and how you reacted like a crazy man to defend 40k!!!!!!

You seem stupid, one can tell because you are honestly trying to discern if someone is autistic from post on Cred Forums

and actually coming to a conclusion diagnosing

Fuckign hilarious

Or its some autistic shitposter clearly arguing with himself.

Yes, I'm using your own words to counter your own points. Because you want to try and move the goal posts every other post you make.

You were responding, "vehemently" to criticism of the fiction designed to sell toy soldiers.

I think that really speaks for itself.

That'd be hilarious, I want to believe

>so I responded
Didn't you just say you didn't react?
What is the difference between a response and a reaction in your mind?

Literally look at the thread. The typing style, the obnoxious and unnecessary double spacing between each fucking line. The consistent punctuation fail.

It's pretty blatant.

ok last post
you said: You were responding, "vehemently" to criticism of the fiction designed to sell toy soldiers.

What I actually said : "The reason I spoke so vehemently for 40k was due to many trying to completely trash 40k as if it was utter shit."

That is text book cherry picking, my response was not excessive in regards to the attacks made, as one can easily describe calling something absolute trash or garbage as "vehemently" disparaging it.

I never moved any goalpost, you did, especially during that epic backpedal you did if that post was you.

anyways, hope you are trolling, hate to have actual people like you on this planet.

How was this not being posted already?
youtube.com/watch?v=JjaYW5Cnr5k

>attacks
In one word you sum it all up.

You see different opinions on 40K as an attack.
No doubt a personal one.

Even after people try and explain that trash doesn't always have to mean bad, you still refuse to understand.

Any attempt to clarify, you call a...
>BackPedal
Trying to explain your misunderstanding.
That is the "backpeddling" you refer to.

Get checked.

I actually think an entire mini series from Argel Tal's point of view of the Heresy would be absolute kino
>entire episode of being possessed by daemons and then eating each other and the human crew for 7 months
>transforming and gathering up the gal vorbak
>Isstvan V
>Forgive me, Brother
>giving the order to open fire on the Raven Guard
>also bromance with the Custodians that turns to betrayal
>cyrene obsession
>bromance with Kharn
>murders the hundred men who stole her bones and worshipped cyrene
>get Erebus to revive her
> die under the shadow of great wings
I need this

>Post shows how he is cherry picking
>immediately cherry picks again

Confirmed troll.

I don't think you understand that term.

You'd have to tell the entire Heresy for this to make sense to the average audience.

How about Last Stand of Saul Tarvitz?

Flight of Eisenstein is bretty gud plot for a movie too.

>Will we ever get a good movie about this?
what would the storyline be?

wh40k is just power fetishism for juvenile fedora wearing losers. it's basically the boardgame equivalent to hard rock, which has thankfully died off. no one listens to metallica anymore, because society has progressed beyond cringeworthy white supremacist culture.

40K is almost as terrible and retarded as anime, please die

Who actually gives a shit about Space Marines? An IG movie would be much better, and the characters easier to relate to.

What about a 40k anime?

well, not him, but trek, and SW ARE garbage with much more boring backstory. Tbh I find only some old, eastern european Sci Fi more interesting than 40k.

Just another war movie in space isn't enough of a hook. Space Marines are the most "unique" piece of 40K iconography.
Its like doing a GCPD movie. It could work, but audiences would still expect Batman. Arguably it would NEED Batman to not mjust be a movie about Some Cops.

There are millions of worlds under command of the Imperium, some of them have never seen war and some of them are quite peaceful and prosperous.

I think Fifteen Hours would be amazing if done right. No battles spanning an entire planet, just shitty and dirty trench warfare with Orks. Surprisingly the author hit military life right on the head. Every Lieutenant I've ever met acted just like in that book, same with the few generals I've met. The most realistic and genuinely sad 40k book I've read

Make it a commentary on religious fanaticism and throw in some 2deep4u dialogue between our damaged heroes and I'm sold

>Fifteen Hours
Brilliant book.

>who are the bad guys in the 40k universe?

Games Workshop for creating an awful setting

muh acid spit and ten hearts and four stomaches that can get nutrients from rocks

muh i have to torture to survive

>ok buddy, who are the bad guys in the 40k universe?
everyone is bad, that's what makes it great

Strictly speaking if ypou ate the RIHHT rocks you'd get a few essential minerals...

But I always found the whole "eating a piece of brain gives a marine that creatures memories" thing pretty stupid.

40k is based, I used to think it was retarded till I started reading into it more and playing it and saw how it fun it was.

Only poorfags who can't afford it complain about it.

>40K the game = 40K the fluff
Ummm, wut?

HH on it's own is very solid story, with some great potential. Sure, it came from half-joke gamewith ripoffs and homages evrywhere, but after 30 years 40k is actually very unique among the popular fiction, sidestories often touching themes noone in SW ever thought of (Except wookipedia ofc), and HH is prime example.

I think it could be done with huge budget, some cutting and marketig campaign in 5-7 movies. Like "cinematic universes" today, with mini-trilogies

>1st introduction to world through Loken/remembracers/Luna Wolves expedition fleet. Lots of exposition, but welp, it has to be done for any 40k movie to work with mainstream audience. It ends with Horus getting rekt, Astartes - so far seen as brave knights in shining armor - stomping over people in the landing bay and Erebus proposing takingLupercal for ritual. Also all planets fleet saw in books would be melded into one for easier storytelling.

>2nd movie focuses on changes in legions, introduces Garro as one of the main characters, DG & little big of EC featured prominently. Movie ends with Istvaan III and Garro escape scene.

>3rd movie starts somewhere between 1st and 2nd from Emperor's Childrn perspective. Other MC is some Iron Hand lad. Istvaan III at the end of 2nd act, Istvaan V as ending of the movie and first trilogy.

Later story would need much more changes to flow smoothly. Only the most important stuff - Molech, maybe some Prospero and briefly Imperium Secundus and then TERRA/Segmentum Solar.

Pretty sure every codex has a massive chunk of fluff in it.

Why? It's a trash setting that's barely popular. It's meme appeal simply wont work in a feature

Yes, but the argument that enjoying the fluff and enjoying the tabletop is inherently connected seems off to me.

The problem is the budget you're talking about on what is basically a niche within a niche.

Maybe Sony could try it. Ghostbusters flopped after all. They need a cinematic universe.

>40k is better written than Trek or Wars
Of course it is. The only problem with 40k as a story is the fact, that GW values tt more than any other medium and can ruin some good plots for sake of doing one-shot sellable game (see:death masque or however it was called)

MAGIC PAIN GLOVE

TELL ME WHAT I MUST DO

I'd rather watch this guy's self inserts fuck animals than warhammer lore.

Do tell. He may be a bullet I dodged.

Ringworld. Cool idea, rapidly turns into the main character just fucking everything and different animal-themed humanoids fucking. It was like corruption of champions.

>I've always hated you Xaphen

best line

Nah, I'm not even counting on that. I'm afraid too much would been sacrificed for mainstream audiences. I mean - I don't really care for including the most gruesome parts of the universe into movie and I even understand the reason behind incorporating some sort of main "hero", probably Space Marine who is good, taking care of everyone and have very "modern" worldview.

But what I'm afraid of is that it would be just quips on quips from human sidekick/comic relief and humanity fug yeah fighting with dark side of the force.
W40k is about humanity in the face of extinction and what is life worth, when every sacrifice is only ever enough for humans to survive a bit longer. And lots of manly tears. Nobody would watch that.

I kinda want to read it now just to see how bad it is.

Well, I agree. And thats why there won't ever be a decent 40k film or series.

The stupidity of the lore is exactly what makes it so entertaining, I love it!

Yeah, right, me too bro, haha

Just to check how bad it is haha!

Agreed.

But apparently that's an "attack".

If I want furfaggotry I have /trash/. That or Zootopia, lube and a box of tissues.

also, e621

GW hates making money, they don't allow anything to be made about their IP. I hope they go bankrupt

>they don't allow anything to be made about their IP.
they've been whoring out 40k to shitty game devs. for a good while now

Yes, but see the post he's replying to.

Star trek uses the basic idea of the alcubierre drive. Whih is odd cause the theory was invented long after the show. And sure it uses negative matter, something we don't have, or negative energy, something that exists but in very low quantities, but the theory is pretty sound.

The think that makes star trek a lot more real sci fi is that fans and scientists helped create the tech. Star trek took a lot of fan suggestions (and scripts) and since a lot of fans were scientists that made it into the show. The heisenburg compensators were one example, later proved to be not needed but it was cause fans complained that teleporters couldn't exactly duplicate you since there was no way to know the exact place and velocity of every atom in a human.

Star trek is pretty good 'hard' sci fi.

Star wars on the other hand is space fantasy and a lot more like 40k

>he fell for the "muh trek science" meme

he temporal surge we detected was caused by an explosion of a microscopic singularity passing through this solar system. Somehow, the energy emitted by the singularity shifted the chroniton particles in our hull into a high state of temporal polarisation

BROTHER SERGEANT!!
OUR GELLAR FIELDS ARE BEING COLLAPSED BY A SET OF BAD THOUGHTS WITH SHARP TEETH!!!

It's called farscape

40k isn't pretending to be scientific, Trek is

How is Trek trying any harder than 40k to be scientific?

No, its isn't.
It's using rubber science.
But most writers know its just technobabble.
Most fans too.

I'm not saying trek is scientific, I'm saying it's pretending to be, to fool people like into thinking it's a deep show by throwing some meaningless technobabble around even through it's space fantasy just like wars or 40k are

Fans did most of that Roddenberry only cared about the social commentary

Besides Trek accomplished the science better than almost any other sci fi. Obvious exception is Asimov.

Oh shit, are you that autistic fuck from earlier?
Are you going to have another meltdown if we call 40k shit?

You could say that 40k throws around vaguely religious terms to try and pretend to fool people it's some amazing commentary on Christianity or something. The crux of the matter is that 40k is dumb fun, whereas the likes of Trek is slightly more intellectual, but boring.

A better question would be

>Would this make a good movie

The answer is no.

>2016 we have no idea if hell or heaven are even a thing. Literally no way to confirm or deny their existence
>If there was a hell or heaven, it stands it'd simply be an alternative dimension
>Ships in 40K travel great distances by dipping into this other dimension
>"WHY IS THERE DEMONS ATTACKING THEIR SHIPS"

The funny thing is that the system of FTL travel in 40K is more plausible than Star Wars or Star Trek, as their ships are somehow travelling faster than light (hence being in every conceivable location all at once in the entire universe) without simply turning into nothing.

Oh look, no poster increase.

>the system of FTL travel in 40K is more plausible than Star Wars or Star Trek
Lel. You never taken a science class in your life. again trek uses an alcubierre drive

I just saw this thread in the catalog and posted that comment. If you're autistic enough to stare at the poster count, then not only you really should get off this site and go get tested for autism, but you need to learn how to count.

It doesn't matter what drive system they are using, there's no such thing as a "warp bubble" or anything else in that show.

The method of travel is not important, but the state of the ship during this travel. You simply cannot move human beings above the speed of light and say "there's a warp bubble around the ship! That's how they don't die!!".

Any established theories state that this is impossible, much like moving backward in time. Just because some script writer at 3am wrote into the latest Trek episode "Data looks over at Picard and tells him that the parabolic dish can be used to create a cosmic string vibration", it doesn't mean it is in any way plausible. 99.99% of the shit in Star Trek is written with no scientific or grounded application.

Watch the Next Gen making of Season 3 on the bluray release. Brent Spiner ad libbed the majority of the technical mumbo jumbo his character had to say because he simply couldn't remember half the lines he was supposed to say.

Unless you're saying a random actor making up words on the spot is now proof...

fuck off

>And alternate dimensional beings are actually not that crazy if some physics theories turn out to be right.
8/8
For a moment there, I actually believed you honestly thought science can prove the potential existence of pagan style gods who embody aspects of the human psyche.
Also murderfuck anything that comes within their general vicinity I guess.

>You simply cannot move human beings above the speed of light and say "there's a warp bubble around the ship! That's how they don't die!!".
>Any established theories state that this is impossible, much like moving backward in time.

Neither of those are theortically impossible. In fact, the backwards in time may be possible as quantum entanglement is starting to show time and space may be an illusion, at least as we experience them. Look up the quantum erasure experiment.

And a warp bubble is far less improbable than a worm hole, which is used i trek too. Thing is star trek uses a lot of these concepts from theoretical science. Sure they havent been experimentally proven to exist, but neither does the graviton and until recently the higgs. Does that mean they should stay away from it? What would be the point of sci fi if they did.

Sounds to me like you hust hate star trek and not the premise. Which is fine, there are plenty of reasons to dislike trek, just not the things you are stating (except technobabble, you have a point there. I enjoy it myself but they do go over the top on some theories that could be waved away)

Fucking Games Workshop ruining warhammer

>Fans did most of that Roddenberry only cared about the social commentary
youtube.com/watch?v=iHg_1Ni6k-c&feature=youtu.be&t=2375
Jump to 39:35 if it doesn't do it for you.
Gene Roddenberry literally talks with Isaac Asimov about how the one thing that made Star Trek special, was that (even though admittedly it broke a lot of rules) it went out of its way to do things that are plausible at least as far as Science Fiction with the knowledge of the time went.

Which is to say a lot of it turned out to be bullshit, much like H.G. Wells's anti-magnet alloy that blocks out gravity from First Men In the Moon, but that doesn't mean it was a novel concept for the time, or that it didn't have more effort put in than "punch it Chewie!", which too is perfectly fine, just has a completely different approach.

And if you're going to say "Well if it's just them guessing up bullshit like the anti-gravity alloy, then it's not scientifically accurate at all! It's bullshit! It doesn't matter since they didn't do the math!":
Congratulations! You've figured out the point of Science Fiction! Didn't you know? Sci-Fi is a bunch of thought experiments and what-ifs! Sure it might be bullshit but that's the point of the genre.
You might as well complain that a romantic comedy is just a bunch of stupid jokes and awkward attempts at flirting.

Don't know about that Well magnet but a real example could be superconductivity. If we can find a room temperature one you can levitate anything for all time. Sounds like as good as anti gravity to me.

Levitate, certainly, but Wells' anti-magnet/gravity alloy was a bit different. (It has a name, but I'm pulling blank on it, I think it was later used in other books too by other writers.)

Basically imagine a spaceship that is is a geometric shape (a dodechaedron, if I remember correclty.)
Each side, has curtains made out of this alloy.
Now the things is, that when a curtain is drawn, absolutely nothing on one side of the alloy can exert gravitational pull on anything on the opposite side of the alloy.

This is the setup. In Science Fiction, we have a lot of these. This is a complete nonsensical idea with today's science, but back then it was plausible with what little we knew.

The interesting bit, is how it is then used in the story, how Wells explains what such a fantastical item could be used for, or what it's side effects would be.
For example, the very first thing that happens when the scientist (I believe through semi-accident) cooks it up in his basement, is that his entire house gets crushed and flown up into the air, because all the air, and bricks, and wood, and furniture above the alloy suddenly weighs nothing, so it's like if you release an air bubble under water. Everything else arround what's above the alloy rushes in to fill the space.

He then proposes the idea for the dodecahedron I described, as a spaceship, since all you need to do, is pull the curtains on the opposite side from which direction you want to accelerate in. Suddenly none of the cosmic gravitational forces from the surrounding planets or even stars affect you from that direction, and the gravitational forces pulling you from the opposite direction have nothing to contend with. (Again, with what we know now it's bullshit, but was a plausible then.)

That's what I mean by Science Fiction.
>Introduce something that could be (not necessarily) complete bullshit, but is plausible
>See what we can do with it, what people would do with it, what it would do if it would occur

A cartoon series like "The Clone Wars" about the Horus Heresy could be good.

Alternatively, a one-off live-action movie with a self-contained story could be fantastic only if they take the visuals and pacing of Dredd, combine it with the tone of Starship Troopers, and ramp it up to 11.
It would have to be R-rated. NC-17 would be daring but could pay dividends.

Trek is ded, and towards the end it wasn't its "source material" that made it liked, it was the fact that it was in the easy-to-consume medium of television and movies.

>anything that isn't dour or up-its-own-ass "social commentary" is trash

KYS Reddit

That's pretty awesome and well conceived sci fi. I love the whole
>invent something crazy
>see how it logically plays out

Thats my jam

If you think about it, it's effectively the formula for any old-school science fiction story.

For simplicity:

Title
>Fantastical element
>Logical playout

War of the Worlds
>Aliens invade the planet
>Learn why they'd do it, how humanity would try to resist an irresistible foe and how sometimes nature can be more powerful in a situation like this than any military (which is a plot hole, but a novel idea)

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea/BioShock, if you dare
>A machine can maintain itself submersed underwater and move around for long periods of time
>A man disillusioned with the world above, uses this technology to show that you can leave it behind, that there is infinite beauty and possibility just beyond the grasp of the ordinary industrialist, and gets working to build a different tomorrow by his own design

I, Robot series
>Intelligent machines exist
>They need to be guided by simple measurable commands, so the 3 Laws are created. Explores how complicated creating a logic system that replicates rational thought is, by constantly showing how easily the 3 laws can lead to problems, despite how straightforward and in general good they are

Foundation
>There is a branch of science that can predict the future hundreds or thousands of years in advance based on psychology and historical tendencies, and sets up a galactic empire where there's only one last bastion of science left, no one else really understanding the least bit about the technology around them
>Let's see how this bastion would function, how they would secure their continued survival amongst barbarians, through trade, technological religions and more

I'm pretty sure I'm running out of characters, but similar stuff could be written for Thomas Moore's Utopia, except instead of technology, it would be a socio-political setup. Also more conceptual stuff like His Master's Voice/Contact, etc.

To me, this is what the words "Science Fiction" means. Social commentary is YA.

>To me, this is what the words "Science Fiction" means. Social commentary is YA.

Its the same thing. If you don't think asimov had social commentary your are delusional.

Having Social Commentary (like the decay of the Empire over thousands of years in Foundation) and being exclusively about the social commentary are two different things.

If I had the space to clarify in that post, I would've said "most social commentary" but I was over character limit that way.

I think we can both agree there's a bit of difference between Foundation and Maze Runner.

double-negative, it would be fantastic

What a stupid argument.

People react poorly to BvS because it doesn't resemble the source material.

People would react positively if Warhammer was serious, dark, and grim. Because it's supposed to be.

If people's only problem with BvS is that it was too "serious", then why are Nolan's movies universally praised by normies? Because they are by a talented director.

Nolan hasn't made a good movie since momento. And that was written by his brother

>People react poorly to BvS because it doesn't resemble the source material.

BvS was far more accurate to the comics as of the last 30 years.

>Ctrl+F
>"TTS"
>0 matches
But Anons, we already have the greatest of Kinos
youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2nM1GEllg&index=2&list=PLyiDf91_bTEgnBN0jAvzNbqzrlMGID5WA

If by that you mean marvels versions, sure. This is hyperion and dr doom

>complaining about manchildren on Cred Forums
what is this guy's even his problem? its like heg got broad side spoon fed up the bone bulge

Is he "our" guy?

you goddamn moron

This is a garbage thread.

I hope you autists are happy for ruining one of the last comfy topics on Cred Forums

warhammer fans always come into /xeno/ threads to shit them up with images like that and call us heretics
I'm not glad but I do feel that it is a taste of justice to see your threads ruined by people that waste their time in calling you lot manchildren and steering discussion toward tired topics.

dude, your opinions are objectively shit

neck yourself