Did Race Play a Role in Larry Wilmore's Downfall?

nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/did-race-play-role-larry-wilmore-s-downfall-n634336

>Still, according to Elsa Waithe, a four-year veteran African-American stand-up comic, "The Nightly Show" was appointment television for her and plenty of her black peers, if for no other reason because it was one of the few comedy shows of its kind on air currently featuring a predominately black perspective.

>"To be frank, I think when they say Larry Wilmore's show wasn't 'playing well with audiences' I think that's just coded language to say its wasn't playing well with white audiences," she told NBC News. "Maybe for white audiences that was too many black people at once."

>"It's unfortunate that it was cancelled," added stand-up comic and former "Last Comic Standing" semifinalist Cyrus McQueen in a statement to NBC. "The few opportunities for black comedy writers just got reduced further."

>"You started a conversation that was not on television when you began," Stewart told Wilmore in an emotional farewell. "And you worked with a group of people who you invited to that conversation to collaborate with you, to sharpen that conversation and what you don't realize is, you walk out of this room and that conversation doesn't end."

Huh. Really makes you think.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yy7GOO7Y96Y
twitter.com/AnonBabble

HE GOT FIRED CAUSE HE WASNT FUCKING FUNNY STOP THE BULLSHIT YOU FUCKING KEKS

did he funny?

>FUCK WHITE PEOPLE THEY'RE LITERALLY THE CAUSE OF EVERYTHING WRONG WITH BLACK PEOPLE WE DINDU NUFFIN: the comedian gets canned

And nothing of value was lost

Not like I watch Current Year Man or Stephen Cuck either.

>did race play a role in Larry Wilmore's downfall

Yes because he wouldn't shut the fuck up about it.

It sounds like even she liked the show more for the politics, instead of actually finding it funny. Larry Wilmore was lame as all fuck, and his joke delivery was cringeworthy. I want more diverse and progressive satirical humor shows on TV, but I'm good without Larry Wilmore.

>does a better job than Trevor
>is better than the shit they replaced him with
>but not colbert so it is not funny!

Current year man is actually great tho.

Nah m8 trevor is funnier, they made the right decision.

soap boxing about race =/= comedy

shut the fuck up african.
your shit aint funny.
every other joke is
>hey guys...im from africa and im not your normal black guy that you are used to!

He was hit and miss on the daily show. Sometimes he was really funny.

I never even saw a clip of this on youtube one. I never even knew it existed until it got cancelled. But plenty of white people shows have been canceled by Comedy Central, like Norm Macdonald.

You don't see Norm whining like a little bitch about it. Hell, Nick Swardson had his show cancelled, Sarah Silverman...Super Jew...had her show cancelled and so on down the line.

Bitch ass nigga playing the race card. If you don't pull in viewers then get fucked. Don't cry about it like a punk bitch.

>make a show targeting 12% of the population
>it doesn't get good ratings
really
makes
you
think

I want more white comedians to raise the questions of their shows being cancelled because they're white.
Or at least a Nathan for You about creating a show for Comedy Central

Man, what the fuck happened. Race politics is so fucking noisy, I'd honestly be embarrassed about it if I were black

Didn't comedy central already have a BLACK NEWS show before that failed hard?cant remember who hosted it. probably one of the wayans bros.

Why are they playing the race thing up so much this time and not back then?

Butthurt much, not black btw

Shocking that a show that caters to a small minority of the population gets low ratings.

some of his bits were funny. him commenting on current events isn't that different from the other 50 shows doing it too.

biggest problem was the panel discussions. too often the guests didn't have anything insightful to say, just random crap you hear from anyone.

Should the gov fund shows like this as a way to increase diversity? Affirmative action for TV shows.

ya and they knew it would happen too. It's literally one of their favorite assumptions
>X people don't do Y because they can't see X people doing it
>Make a show with all black people
>white people stop watching
>there are more white people than black people
>ratings are lower than the show it is replacing
>cancel show due to low ratings

There are 38 million black peole in the US. How come they didn't watch it?

>I think when they say Larry Wilmore's show wasn't 'playing well with audiences' I think that's just coded language to say its wasn't playing well with white audiences,

No shit. The 'audience' in this country is majority white (for a bit longer anyways). So when you make a show for 12% of the audience that spends the entire time demonizing that majority, don't get surprised.

The problem with blacks in television is that even blacks don't want to watch blacks and the in your face niggos that get cancelled simply don't appeal to whites (the largest view demo).

Dave Chappelle never played the victim. He treated niggers like nigger and crackers like crackers. This is why his show was unanimously successful.

It's easy to steal a TV, much harder to steal Cable

>target demographics is libcucks, children, and white college age adults
>entire target demographic stops watching when host switches from a white male to a black male
funny how the racists show their true colors :^)

Black people only watch basic cable and BET

who was the talking tv nigger who said having a headphone jack was racist?

I have two black friends and everytime I go over to either places their siblings and/or parents are watching the game show network.

>mfw the panel discussions

If this is the "black perspective" then you deserve to be cancelled as a collective race.

Good thing it isn't. It's the lowest common denominator perspective: Loud, obnoxious, and wrong. White people have them. Black people have them. You shouldn't be proud of them; and if you are then enjoy being cancelled by life.

Race? Larry Wilmore, next to Wayne Brady, is the whitest black lesbian in America.

>spends the entire time demonizing that majority
And that was the problem

It wasn't an inclusive show. "white" shows are told to be inclusive, so since the 80's they did not say bad things about other races

Cuz all his act was begin a nigger.

>four-year veteran African-American stand-up comic

four years isn't a veteran in comedy

Because most of his guests were literal nobodies

JUST

He should still be an opener or open micer

>>"To be frank, I think when they say Larry Wilmore's show wasn't 'playing well with audiences' I think that's just coded language to say its wasn't playing well with white audiences," she told NBC News. "Maybe for white audiences that was too many black people at once."
to be fair
black people are a minority
white people are a majority
even if every black person in the united states sits down and watches it, that's just 13% of the population

>"Maybe for white audiences that was too many black people at once."
I don't think white people had a problem watching something like Chappelle's Show. Maybe Larry should have tried being actually funny?

>show is essentially a black-only daily show knockoff
>it isn't that funny
>AND the daily show gets a black host who focuses more on black-related news

he was doomed from the start. most of his comedy is so heavily geared toward the experience of educated black people that it alienates both whites and lower class black people who would never watch this show anyways.

Yes, his race to the bottom of the ratings

Kevin Hart is the most successful comedian alive right now. Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, and Chris Rock were insanely successful in their day and continue to be regarded as some of the best comedians of all time. If we're talking Comedy Central, Chappelle Show was a phenomenon over 10 years ago. More recently Key and Peele was one of Comedy Central's most successful shows they had in their line up. People just don't like you, Larry. You're not funny.

Also Chappelle Show did more positive things for race relations than anything Larry Wilmore has done or ever will do.

>Did Race Play a Role in Larry Wilmore's Downfall?
yes, people didn't like him because he was a race-baiting retard. Even snarky liberals that laugh at Colbert and Leibowitz hated him.

He got fired because white liberals are just as racist as the rednecks they mock.

t. NW DC

MAYBE
Now shut up.

Eh.
His whole shtick was just blaming White people for everything and really just pushing stereotypes and the insane world view of todays worst leftist/cultural marxists.
Even the new Colbert who is awful couldn't compete with his faggotry.
Also Noah is basically the same guy just better looking and maybe slightly smarter. He's still shit though and is another HAHAHA LE DRUMF WHITE PEOPLE SO RACIST, did I say something about racism in the last 5 seconds? DRUMPF IS LITERALLY HITLER
Just monkeys in suits paid to push jewish cultural marxism.
I do miss the old Colbert though when he didn't have to push the leftist agenda. He was actually quite funny at times back then.

seriously larry, get a job

cause race politics weren't much of a thing back then.

yup.

what is so hard for a black show to be inclusive huh?

Just one clip shows why this show deserved the death it got

so you'd be ok with the illogical demonization if it got good ratings?

>get job because you're black
>get fired because you suck

They fired me because I'm black!

One of the legitimate reasons people don't hire black people. You can't get rid of shitty ones. They're the herpes of races.

>did race play a roll
He was hired specifically because of his race and then made the entire show revolve out his race, so yeah race was a big factor in the shows downfall, deservedly so

Bump for original television and film discussion.

>racist black person is racist
News at 11.

>current year man
>actually great

>original television and film discussion.