Literally try and name a better director

Literally try and name a better director

you can't

>>>/reddit/

babby's first auteur

>muh surrealism
he's a fag. you're a fag

I can name more if you would like.

Peter Jackson is better than fucking Lynch.

entry level trash

Mario Bava

There's better surrealistic directors

Christopher Nolan

reminder that fellini > bergman

fellini isn't better than anyone

Cocteau>Fellini>Bergman

>all these contrarian fucktards
Kys

>having an opinion I don't like means you're contrarian
Silence, child.

Go discuss Lynch on facebook where you belong.

I have to disagree.

go outside you hypersensitive wanna be academic

>surrealism

Oh my god you're too cute.

what would you call it cuckboy?

They're critiques of verisimilitude in film and story telling.

Stephen Spielbergsteinowitz

fuck off

You're too fun.

You fuck off you piece of shit

>posting hate symbols

pig disgusting.

Holy Motors is surrealist and better than anything Lynch has ever done.

How predictable insults
Fucking hipsters, I hope you get hit by a bus

How so?

MAAM

Because the surrealism has a function to the story. I find the surrealism in Lynch films is a stylistic choice that makes an otherwise dull script appear interesting.

For instance, compare the way in which both directors tell you that this scene is not an accurate representation of events in Lost Highway and Holy Motors. Lost Highway has the guy who speaks to him on the phone that you don't see again til the end. Yeah it's kind of creepy and it's supposed to represent Bill Pullman's descent into madness, but did you feel anything? Does it really tell you anything beyond that? Does it ask anything else of you? Compare that with the scene where the Holy Motors main character is doing his make up in the limo. He's just come from another scene, he's speaking to the driver, which advances the plot and hints at what the previous scene meant, while he also delivers an interesting monologue that reaches out from the screen and makes references to the roles we play in real life.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Leos Carax's approach to surrealism feels like it has something to tell us, but David Lynch's seems to be for entertainment and style.

cretin

>he thinks david lynch is a symbolist

Aye. Can you back up your arguments tho?

You really don't know where you are, do you? That's a shame, but hopefully today's exchange has served a little to remind you of it.

Aye...

Lunch's good works: Twin Peaks. And that's all my friend.

eraserhead?

>I find the surrealism in Lynch films is a stylistic choice that makes an otherwise dull script appear interesting
Are you memeing right now?
Lynch's of way of utilizing surrealism is excellent. He uses it to explore the subjectivity of the character's minds, analyzing the dissolve between reality and dreams. Surrealism is about breaking the boundary between conscious and subconscious and creating a new reality, and he does that masterfully through juxtaposition, displacement and artificiality.
For instance, he creates this new reality by drawing on iconography and narrative modes found throughout Americana. The vision of the open road, diners, suburbs, cowboys, Hollywood, soap operas and TV come together to form an artificial view of american life. There's like mix of fascination and repulsion. This familiar space is often twisted by the subjectivity of the characters. The mundane life is transformed into the realm of the subconscious.
>Lost Highway and Holy Motors
Yeah, cherrypick scenes to support your argument.

malick
christopher nolan
Tarantino
The Wachowski's Matrix is better than anything Lynch
David Fincher
Steven Speilberg
Woody Allen
Akira Kurosawa
the guy that made the Seventh Seal
the guu that directed M
The one that directed Alphaville
Godard

>Cred Forums overrate these hacks just because they are foreign
Cute

You're legit retarded. Never post again.

>The one that directed Alphaville
>Godard
lel'd out loud

what are your sanctified opinions bruh i also like the one that made fellini

mah nigga

Mann.

When you get into movies past the mainstream you get to like Lynch. Then you get deeper into arthouse and foreign cinema and think that Lynch is for plebs. Then after you watched a lot of obscure movies you realize that most of them were pretentious garbage and that Lynch is in fact one of the best.

>any surrealist that isn't Buñuel

Disgusting.

watch it pal

Love Lynch, but I think Kubrick is a better director with a somewhat similar style.

I liked Kubrick more when I was in high school and lunch bored me and didn't make sense. Since then his movies really grew on me, while most of Kubrick feels kind of one-note. 2001 and most of his later work is still amazing. I also liked Strangelove and lolita, for the lols

kys

>56 replies
>nobody has posted le meme cowboy yet

what has Cred Forums become?

DUDE BABBY'S FIRST SURREALIST LMAO
>>>/REDDIT/

calling anything a bit odd surrealist

It's like you've never read any critical theory after 19390

only thing he's ever done that was good is twin peaks

>Eraserhead
>a bit odd
wew lad