Doctor Who General - /who/

The Witch Hunters Edition

So why haven't you read this book yet /who/?

Drowned for witchcraft:

Other urls found in this thread:

smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1849909024/
youtu.be/X_9Mp6fTBAE
youtu.be/lHbzwLmBCRA
youtube.com/watch?v=6Zz2vc5ia98
twitter.com/drmuig/status/787763691060137984
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No portuguese version and there's just a few books that people knows about.

I've listened the audio version.
Does that counts?

It would be more canon if Chatterton had read it, hmm?

Books aren't real moffat said so.

Okay

I don't know where to find it.

smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1849909024/

Your local book store prolly has a copy or two still though

Probably. I bought a copy of this as well as the reprint of Roundheads, Amorality Tale, English Way of Death, and Human Nature a few months ago

because somebody gave me a billion other things to infosorb on top of my already huge list.

Oh get a room you two! Oh wait, nvm. Carry on.

I've just heard the shittiest BF audio I've ever come across. It's called the Case of the Gluttonous Guru and it's in S4 of Jago&Litefoot, basically about a dude feeding people weird caviar that then grows up into tadpoles inside you and eat your from the inside out. Idea is whatever but jesus christ the execution, they literally filled the audio with people eating loudly, chewing, smacking their lips, talking with food in their mouths, gulping and a shit ton of burping.

I'm completely baffled as to why they would even think including those awful annoying sounds every other scene was a good idea. They get old really fucking fast and they just keep doing it over and over and over. I was so fucking pissed I couldn't even finish the thing.

This is the most awful audio execution I've heard from them, it's like their equivalent of the farting aliens episode.

Hey hey you ASKED for the Gundam sequels and tokus

>it's in S4 of Jago&Litefoot
>filename literally says 5x02

yeah yeah i fucked up but i was pretty mad, it's on the fif

Hey hey you you.

I don't like your boyfriend.

GOAT user.

I wish I had a boyfriend ;_;

>I'd forgotten not all victories are about saving the universe. - Rory, The God Complex

So why did they choose Chibnall over Whithouse?

Because Whithouse's episodes aren't any better than Chibnall's and BBC probably values Chibnall's experience running shows more.

Chibnall was head writer and co-producer of the first 2 seasons of Torchwood, and has more overall experience of show-running.

Yeah, exactly. His experience is more extensive and relevant. And the quality of his writing isn't significantly different from Whithouse's at all. Not sure why anybody would prefer Whithouse.

Nah, Whithouse's episodes are mediocre at worst.
Chibnall's episodes are mediocre at best.

They are both mediocre but Chibnall is better at handling the cast.

I find that looking at their writing credits side by side, it's very difficult to see any clear difference in quality.

I find all of Whithouse's episodes are at least serviceable, with The God Complex being especially good.
The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship are worse than anything Withouse wrote, and the other two are on par with Withouse's worst (The Vampires of Venice).

How so?

(btw, I'm not saying that Whithouse is especially good. It's just that Chibnall is especially bad)

>The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship are worse than anything Withouse wrote
Personally, while none of them are particularly good episodes, I'd rather rewatch Dinosaurs on a Spaceship than A Town Called Mercy. The latter is pretty dull. Whithouse definitely does have the best episode out of the two though, with Complex.

Taking a look at their episodes again I probably have to concede that Whithouse has the slightly better track record when it comes to Doctor Who. Not by much though. I consider both of them to be pretty mediocre writers.

That's pretty fair.
I suppose that your opinion of Dinosaurs depends on whether you like that kind of humor. Which I don't.
I didn't particularly enjoy Town either, but I'd still rather watch that.

>Dinosaurs on a Spaceship than A Town Called Mercy
Heresy.

But it had this GOAT OST

youtu.be/X_9Mp6fTBAE

dis pizza seriously started another thread instead of starting a discussion that could keep /who/ alive. fkin shamefur.

you guys talk about this or some shit I'm goin to bed.

Wow, what a dingus. Like anyone who browses the thread index will give a shit about Daleks.

>the Raven will NEVER lock onto you and kill you

Why live?

Big Finish adaptation when?

vkDOTcomSLASHpage-5742320_44001294
Click Tom for books.

Did you cry?

youtu.be/lHbzwLmBCRA

I cheered.

So how many companions have died now?

[sjis]I sighed.

>just finished Series 8
>only Series 9 left
Well, shit. I don't want it to end soon ;_;

GOAT TIER:
Series 5, Series 4

GREAT TIER:
Series 8

GOOD TIER:
Series 7

OKAY TIER:
Series 9, Series 3

BORING TIER:
Series 1

UTTERLY FORGETTABLE TIER:
Series 6

SO BAD IT'S NOT CANON TIER:
Series 2

>Series 2 bad
>Series 9 and 3 only okay
Great 'opinion' you got there

7 is way too high there desu.

GREAT TIER:
Series 2-5, 7-9

OKAY TIER:
Series 1

SHIT TIER:
Series 6

>GREAT TIER
>Series 2

javascript:quote('75352772');

No, I'd prefer him bring in better actors.

nice one

I teared up.

Not Clala.

>pass user
why

I was emotional, which is strange given that I couldn't wait to see her go. I was prepared to see her inevitably come back though, which pulled me back out of the drama.

It was only 15 dollars and I hate teaching google's AI to read for free. It really grinds my gears. Also the cool down time between posts is cut to like 10 seconds as opposed to a minute and a half, making it waaaay easier to have discussions in multiple threads before getting distracted and fucking off. For me at least. A small price to pay for the convenience. If you love something you should probably support it too.
Also I was crossposting/testing setting up a hotkey/macro for the white/black-texting feature and in my sleepless haze didn't realize I had the option still set. Sorry.

Does the Doctor meet Harambe in the new Early Adventure?

Ah yes, another one of cats' personalities, the mongo-user.

all of his companions die after they leave him. It's just a matter of time when.

I hate change. I hate endings. But I'll soon have to leave /who/ and everything else that constituted my life since now.

I will miss this so very much. I love you.

You mean you won't have internet anymore?

More attention seeking crap.

>cool down time between posts is cut to like 10 seconds as opposed to a minute and a half, making it waaaay easier to have discussions in multiple threads

How do you think Moffat told Gatiss he'd overlooked him for the top job?

The Almost People & A Good Man Goes to War are on telly. They are NAFF but holy shit Matt Smith is gr8

Amy giving birth with a shot of a woman looking between her legs - what every Dr Who cliffhanger should aspire to.

Matt's performance in the Flesh two parter is so underrated. He is completely magnetic and enigmatic in almost every moment, especially the second episode when the doppelganger comes in.

I just caught the last 10 minutes. Absolutely shite story but Matt is always glorious.

The cybermen from 1966 are in episodes 6 and 7.

Gee whiz user, where'd you learn that?

The land of fiction

Oh god. The last face in that line up really doesn't fit at all

so far we have had cybermen overshadowed by Rose's daddy drama, getting btfo by the daleks, under the control of some victorian woman, reduced to one step above cameos, overshadowed by Craig's baby drama, in a rushed shit story with annoying kids and under the control of the mattress. All i want is one decent cyberman story that is fully devoted to them

The Cybermen haven't had a decent tv story since the 60s. It's time to let that dream die m80

That is presumably the point. He's photobombing the Ship's crew picture.

Leeds?

When will this character return?

Did they ever have a decent story.

How many decent stories can you make out of creatures who are "Were once humans, but now we hate well-prepared meal"

Honestly, no. They're at their best in Tenth Planet, but it's not a Cyberman story per se.

Maybe if we got Marc Platt to write a Cyberman story for Series 10.

but they dont hate well prepared meals, they feel nothing for them

meant for

>this topic every week
>identical responses every time

Why has a fully fledged Hitler story never happened?

I want to see Josef Goebbels vs Bill.

Because stupid people are gonna ask "Why doesn't the Doctor stop the Holocaust?", and the writer would have to find a way to get around that in a way that doesn't piss them off.

I cried a lot because I started Doctor Who on S5 and I didnt knew it the companions destiny on each doctor passage so I cried a lot on Amy's, I never expected that. I thought too that things settled when Clala appeared but when I heard a gossip of her death my heart got heavy by each episode I watched until her leave.
Feels bad, Foot Smith departing made me cry even more, he was my doctor and Amy suddenly out of nowhere was kino.

>Cybermen are literally the MTV-generation

The problem with Cybermen like with all other recurring aliens is that they are mooks and Doctor Who is hardly an action show and doesn't need no mooks.

Daleks got by on cool design, Sontarans found salvation in comedy but Cybermen keep occupying robotic niche of evil emotionless robots which is quite frankly boring once you exhaust assimilation plots.

Saying mooks does not disguise you.

the whole cybermen using a concept of the afterlife into getting people to give up their emotions was a good idea that could of been used with just them. But Moffat had to make them the masters pawns

The neat thing about having a wild and wacky children's fantasy show is that you can tackle inconceivable horrors like mass slaughter without necessarily having to delve into the material history of things that really happened and risk insensitively misrepresenting or simplifying them.
A fully fledged Hitler story would only ever really have happened in something like the VNAs, where they had the space of a whole novel to really get stuck in with detail and nuance (plus no-one was reading who would give a fuck).

It's not a plan they'd come up with on their own, it's too inefficient and artsy.

That never happened. Nothing suggests the
idea was anyone excpet Missy's. You could have called these Corpse Droids without altering the story at all.

They just need to focus on Cybermen running low on numbers and desperate to survive and upgrade more people. It's a good B-plot, as shown in Closing Time.

What they need to do is strip the Cybermen back, actually show them harvesting humans and spare parts. Cybermen lurking in hospitals is such an obvious idea it's amazing it hasn't been done. Have a guy on life support encounter a Cyberman and choose to be upgraded, etc.

It did happen. Goebbels was in it too.

This is the problem with most Cybermen outings - they could be any old robots.

I always thought Asylum of the Daleks would've made a better Cybermen story. Cybermen who had realised the true horrors of themselves, driven insane, locked away in an Asylum, kept in case the Cybermen needed spare parts and because they value life no matter how bonkers the locked away ones are.

The Dalek converting Clara with nano tech felt more like a Cyber-idea too.

i never said it was implied to be there idea. just that it could work in a solo cybermen episode. But now that the idea has been done they cant do it again as people will complain they have seen it before

>there will never be a vna-level-dark episode about Cybermen converting starving children in Africa

Moffat has some weird additions to canon. Like when RTD first re-introduced Daleks, assimilating humans was like the last resort or crazy controversial scheme by a crazy Dalek which either drew them to suicide and denial.

In Asylum, they did it just because they don't want waste anything. But Daleks are all about wasting, that's basically their fatal flaw.

>the Doctor trying to fight against the idea even while knowing that this is the kids' only chance at living another day
Maybe if they changed it from 'Africa' to some failed human colony, and made the kids multiple races they could do it.

>But Daleks are all about wasting
Wasting what?

Mostly about wasting everyone else.

Probably gave him a big smug grin and made him guess himself.

>killing people is their fatal flaw
wot

I'm still not overly keen on his additions to Dalek canon:

> Perhaps their consideration of hatred being beautiful is why they've never been able to kill the Doctor

wut

> Emotion fires the gun

wut

> Daleks saying anything 'wrong' gets turned automatically into 'exterminate'

wut

I guess that one (Oswin being assimilated) can be put down to the Dalek in the Asylum being a nutjob.

Emotion firing the gun actually makes a bit of sense though. It's not like those useless little tendrils would actually be good at operating a gun physically so we can already assume it's brain-controlled, and the Kaled mutants are literally genetically engineered to go in those tanks and shoot everyone so making it a biological function is just efficient.

As a way of handwaving why Daleks scream EXTERMINATE 5 times before ever firing, I guess it makes sense. Still not keen on it tho.

I legitimately miss Cats.

I like it because it conveys the idea that the Daleks really are screaming balls of hatred.

Daleks converting humans was a thing in the classic series, may have even started in the 60s but they were definitely doing it by the 80s

It sorta makes the casing seem a bit inefficient though; in some cases Daleks have screamed exterminate about 6 times before firing at the target who's dived out of sight.

i dont really mind the first one though as it was only a suggestion and felt more like the Daleks antagonizing the doctor. but the whole dalek voice filter is dumb though, if the daleks were so full of hate why would they ever say something wrong by dalek standards

Correction: Davros was, in Revelation. Hence a Dalek civil war broke out because one faction of Daleks didn't see the others as pure anymore.

>if the daleks were so full of hate why would they ever say something wrong by dalek standards
Well they wouldn't, that's why the operating system doesn't even know how to process it and just shits out the nearest possible Dalek equivalent.

t. not cats

Because I only ever read a few Who original novels and never picked up the habit.

The dalek voice filter is a really unsettling idea, imagine being trapped inside one and all your cries for help and pleading to your best friend is forced into I hate you and exterminate, causing your best friend to lose faith in you and decide he needs to kill you

There's the whole "human factor" nonsense in Evil of the Daleks. I'm surprised daleks playing as trains isn't a meme, but I suppose not many people know about it cos it's a missing ep.

> operating system

Sounds more like something the Cybermen would have. Dalek casings should just be tanks with guns on, mobility for the mutants.

never though of it that way. i always thought that the daleks purposely tried to censor themselves, never thought it was just the system not knowing how to process it

Well, yeah. But who won the civil war? Are the human-daleks the ones assimilating? What happened to the paradigm, etc. There's certainly a precedent for semi human Daleks, and given that they have a parliament now, they may have voted in favour of converting humans because it is less wasteful or offers some kind of tactical advantage. Or maybe they're just sadistic

How the fuck do BF make money from audio adventures of Jago and Litefoot? I only just found out they did this. FIVE seasons of this? Doctor Who fans will literally buy anything.

Daleks have a symbiotic relationship with their casings by design, whenever we see one removed from them they are a useless flapping squid. The tank isn't just a moving seat and gun but their mouth and organs as well, and it needs technology to run.

The reason they chose Chibnall is his name comes first alphabetically.

The idea is that the Daleks are just that limited, which also comes back when the Doctor is surprised to hear one ask for mercy.

They are characters from one of the most praised Robert Holmes serials ever and people like the idea of Victorian supernatural investigators.

I groaned because I knew Moffat would bottle it. They might as well have cut to him looking up from his Macbook and saying 'don't worry folks, she'll be back!'

Doctor Who is a giant fruit tree ready to be plundered for spin-offs.

>teaching google's AI to read for free.

Interesting, I usually get the store fronts or the topographical features.

That is tragic, isn't it. BF are such mince, it's like giving orangutans a licence to print money.

There's a "legacy captcha" setting that forces the text ones I think, might be part of an extension

You see, this is the kind of ethical toothsomeness that Star Trek did so well. But Doctor Who isn't usually about actual moral quandaries, with shades of grey. It's usually about having aliens represent things we all already agree are bad, then blasting them while dressed as an art student.

>FIVE seasons of this? Doctor Who fans will literally buy anything.
Series 12 is out soon.

It seems like it's his way of getting out of the 'all Daleks being evil is racist' argument. They aren't all evil, but they're made evil by being Daleks. This is a bit like saying 'the Nazis weren't all bad people, but they did bad things', but it's also a bit more like saying 'it's in the[ir] script[s]'.

STOP IT

STOP TALKING

CEASE AND DESIST

THERE'S A GOOD GIRL

u cant get a better doctor than david.....matt smith is rubish

Of course! The main reason the Dalek casing is now rationalized as changing the occupants' intentions is to get away from the fact that the Daleks are a representation of the Nazis as severely disabled people, which sometimes seemed a bit [Charles Nelson Reilly noise] especially when their Jew equivalents were blue-eyed blondes.

u cant get a better doctor than bill.....patrick troughton is rubish

u cant get a better companion than bill.....cara delevigne is rubish

We're meant to believe you can't spell 'rubbish' but can spell 'Troughton'?

This accusation has given you out.

Moving away from straight Nazism to crazed survivalism and paranoia would make them work.

Pardon?

>he knows he can't directly call people "cats" anymore because the based janitors come running in

Nice use of VPN, catto.

Look, can the people doing this 'I know who you are, old adversary' shit fuck off until they know how an anoymous image board works? I'm here posting world-class Who analysis and some creep suddenly starts accusing people of being other people, all of which is unprovable and irrelevant.

I like Talons well enough, but I can't imagine wanting twelve (12!) seasons of imitation Holmes banter.

"Series" is just the name they give to boxsets.
Still, they'll be up to 48 episodes with the next boxsets, plus half a dozen appearances in other ranges. That's more than a lot of TV shows.

Do you think I should send them my treatment for a sitcom about the gay blue androids from Timelash?

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they didn't accept it.

Reminder that this happened

Gravy train here I come!

The kicker is that it's a two-disc set.

That certainly wasn't true during the Pertwee era, which dealt with colonialism and reliance on tech and feminism amongst other things

Oh yes, but that was the exception to the rule.

youtube.com/watch?v=6Zz2vc5ia98

>1:26
>matt clearly green screened in front of the console
>in the previous shot they masked him behind it properly

Which intern is responsible for this?

I remember some idiots believing he was greenscreened so that future airings could greenscreen in the latest Doctor/s kek

It's a shame. Once you notice the goof, it takes you out of the moment

That doesn't account for the fact that they use a hand double for a shot of 11 touching the console directly after it

And even there, there wasn't anything very ambiguous happening. Colonialism is bad, feminism is good. Reliance on tech's treatment in Invasion of the Dinosaurs is one of the few real ethical dilemma type scenarios - one of our heroes has gone astray. Silurians and this were the only times something really ambiguous happened, both by Hulke.

These dramas where the production of some piece of pop culture is treated as if it was the Treaty of Versailles are going to date very badly.

The only thing that'll date AAISAT really is the Matt cameo. Would've worked better had "Hartnell" imagined himself in the Doctor Who Experience as something, as a way of showing that his show would go on to inspire and entertain so many.

Genesis of the Daleks gets into a bit of a grey area with the whole "do I have the right" thing

It was a 50th anniversary celebration, so they put the Doctor from the 50th year of the show in it, I don't think they were really concerned with repeats it dating or anything

Well yes, I know that. But I'm just saying that the cameo is the only thing that'll date AAISAT, if you care about that sort of thing.

It does, that is an atypically sophisticated moment, I agree.

I often mused whether they would update that DVD every ten years with Matt replaced by whoever will be playing The Doctor at the time

Someone should photoshop Richard Hurndall into that moment kek

The problem for me is the whole idea that his life is somehow given meaning by Doctor Who.

As he is forced out of the show, he's reassured by the fact that the show and Hartnell's legacy will live on with it. It's nothing to do with Hartnell's entire life being given meaning by Dr Who; the scene just shows that something he hugely adored doing will go on forever.

But there's no possible way he thought like that, and what does it even mean? The ghost of merchandising yet to come materialises to give him the glad eye? 'Don't worry pal, we'll do millions in turnover, you're only the begininng, and your family won't see one slim dime.' Like a TV programme somehow has a soul? It sickens me.

Also, it's a sentimentalizing of the fact that they sacked the guy. No sacking should be presented as some kind of spiritual encounter.

Dude, chill the fuck out. Get a grip. It's a bit of symbolism in a TV show ffs.

Hartnell: “Then, the moment this brilliant young producer Miss Verity Lambert started telling me about Doctor Who, I was hooked. I remember telling her, “This is going to run for five years.” And look what’s happened.

The thinking behind the symbol reveals a massive lack of perspective. I agree, Doctor Who is just a TV show; tell that to Mark Gatiss and his collaborators.

I think there's a difference between portraying his pleasure at being involved in a success and having him visited by the guy doing his job fifty years later as though he was Obi-Wan Kenobi's ghost. It's embarrassing.

Whatever dude.

That's the point

>I remember some idiots believing he was greenscreened so that future airings could greenscreen in the latest Doctor/s kek

But he was. That's what Gattis said. They just never did it.

You don't find it disproportionate?

Hopefully Capaldi told them to 'get tae fuck'.

The whole thing is a fictionalised, sensationalised piece of TV drama. So no, I don't. It was just a fun little touch, a nice nod for viewers that the show was 50 years old and there'd been many more Doctors after Hartnell.

How does not thinking Doctor Who is the meaning of life qualify me for the fedora?

No, Gatiss joked about it afterwards.

I think if you're going to pay tribute to people's work, turning the whole thing round to be a exercise in mere self-regard is a letdown. 'We owe him a lot' and 'he's important because the show needed him' are slightly different sentiments. But of course, this kind of thing is emblematic of the attitude of the production biopic subgenre.

Go to bed, Sandifer.

We can look forward to Atwell giving him an eyeful.

You must be kidding, I bet he loved that shit, he's the sort of perspective-free nutter it's aimed at.

It's a fucking Matt Smith cameo in a half-fictionalised show ffs, get a grip

Why do you think I'm the one who needs to be told how unimportant the show is?

You're the one taking it seriously as if it's some gigantic crime that's personally upset you m8

Anyway, I'll stop biting now cos you're boring. Go troll someone else or get something better to do.

I'm not trolling, you keep defending something that's wrong, and I keep repeating that it's wrong, that's all. I take it seriously because I hate what it implies, and that Doctor Who's 50th anniversary was marked in part by this drama which contains such an conspicuous lapse of taste.

If taste doesn't matter to us, then we're no better than Farscape fans.

It's not wrong. It's only wrong in your opinion. In my opinion, it was a rather touching moment. You only think it's wrong because you hate what it implies - to you. You see it as a lapse in taste, and I don't. So let's just agree to disagree, cos I can't be arsed even discussing it with you if all you're going to do is shout me down and go WRONG WRONG WRONG all the time. It's pointless. I liked it, you didn't. Glad we sorted that out.

>not liking farscape

> telling someone that what they're defending is wrong

> that something they're defending is SUBJECTIVE

erm...

I haven't attempted to shout you down.

I'm concerned by the priorities it indicates, more than by its tackiness, but these are interrelated.

This offensive reply gives you out.

I've never seen An Adventure in Space & Time, Opinion of it is clearly divisive with /who/. Oddly, it was nominated for a BAFTA award for 'Best Single Drama'.

Might watch it one day I spose.

Schindler's Matt! That's about the level, yeah.

First reviews of Class from pre-screenings coming in now.

"Within the first 10 minutes of the opening episode of this Doctor Who spin-off it’s clear that we are in good hands. Written by the wonderful Patrick Ness, the man behind acclaimed teen novels A Monster Calls and The Knife of Never Letting Go, Class, set at the Whoverse’s Coal Hill School, instantly feels as though it takes place in a real world populated by real teens who just happen to be facing dark threats from a shadow rift. Who creator Steven Moffat has talked about this being a British Buffy but it’s very much its own beast with a sparkling script from Ness and fine performances from the hugely likable young cast." Sara Hughes - The Guardian/ Observer.

I thought the screening started on the 20th?

It doesn't really sound like it's packed with gay fucking and lots of severed heads and shit does it?

Some TV critics will have aready been shown pre-pre screenings. That's a no-brainer.

You expect that right out the gate in the first ten minutes?

You do sound angry Immigrant. Calm it.

I'll take out the bits that are just padding or tell us nothing new about the episode, shall I?

>Within the first 10 minutes it’s clear that we are in good hands
>Class instantly feels as though it takes place in a real world populated by real teens who just happen to be facing dark threats from a shadow rift
>it’s very much its own beast with a sparkling script from Ness and fine performances from the hugely likable young cast

Pretty generic praise, apart from the second extract, not much to form an opinion on there. I'm still undecided about Class.

Relax Theresa, I'm joking

Yeah it's basically a fluff piece just saying it's 'awesome'.

Were you, cats?

Lovely scene
But how come Matt is standing behind the Tardis console and a few frames later he jumps in front of the tardis console?

I don't know, cats.

Richard O'Brien on The Crystal Maze: "I tell you who would've been good, that chap who played Doctor Who"

Maybe try listening to some

Who is this?

Don't you just love when "friends" replace you? I feel like Rory in Series 5 :(

For the same reasom most of Classic Who's monsters were tinfoil and plastic

leaked blu-ray mock up for class

fake

Probably not far off tho. They always use bland promo pictures for covers these days.

just the publicity still on a dvd

poor fake Connor

It's a shame that they had specially made artwork for the Series 8 boxset but then used the poster artwork for Series 9 (which is why I bought the steelbook)

>tfw Moffat probably called Peter Jackson to talk him into directing the show after he expressed interest
>tfw Jackson probably told him "haha what? I'm not directing your fucking kids show mate, I was just taking the piss, fuck right off"
>tfw Moffat was hurt

This makes me real angry.

to be fair the first three series are grade A Victorian supernatural adventures

Nah, mate, nah.

Because he's just that eager to ''''''''''''''''''commemorate''''''''''''''''''''''''.

Is he, cats?

Yes I do. I expect to be entertained in the FULLEST SENSE.

You seem entitled, cats.

Then he got off the phone and told his homeboy Sylv what happened, and they laughed like drains between sips of expensive cocktail.

Hey look, the monitor in the background is set to 16:9.

Matt's superimposition is part of the symbolism, it's meant to convey that the purpose of William Hartnell's entire life was to sell 5-inch action figures thirty-eight years after his death. Family is nothing, love is nothing, class is nothing, only merchandising matters. In a cut scene, Matt forces Hartnell's face into the path of his pissing cock.

>mfw it is

We'd seen the Diner Clala pics, so knew she'd be back in the finale. Tbh, I thought she'd be one of her echoes referencing Name of the Doctor.

>implying that Peter Jackson would be any good at directing a Doctor Who ep.

This is a pie in sky dream at present. He'd need a whole 12 episodes to tell a story that could fit into 2 at most, and a multi million pound budget that the BBC couldn't afford.

Oh yeah, I mean, I don't think anyone would want to see that, Peter Jackson is an SFX supervisor promoted beyond his natural gifts tbphwy famalamadingdong. His finest hour was supervising the overdone, public-nuisance-causing snow effects on Worzel Gummidge Down Under.

wew

>rated 15
edgy as phuck m8

Can you even HANDLE it?

Doesn't work

Monthly reminder than Nicolas Winding Refn offered to direct episodes of Doctor Who and got turned down.

moffat isn't interested in innovating DW with new directors, he wants to keep the status quo

you say that but Moff's had more new directors than RTD ever had, plus there's been more experimentation with direction during Moff's era than most other eras

>more experimentation with direction during Moff's era

if by that you mean calling Talalay last two seasons for the only impressive episodes from a directing stand point then I agree

ben wheatly was GOAT

no... the only other episode that seemed to be perfectly directed is Vincent and the Doctor

new cybermen

Ben Wheatley was pretty good

Adam Smith(?) who did Matt's debut felt fresh and leagues ahead of Euros Lyn an episode prior.

Vincent and the Doctor was GOAT.

Talalay has 1 miss, 1 hit. But she still stands out.

Moff's era just had lots of neat flourishes when it comes to directing, even when something doesn't really pull off, you can see the scope and ambition and stylistic approach to the show.

where are the handlebars?

Genesis of the cybermen type story

they're not new cybermen, dummy!

i just saw his context-less tweet and thought it'd be fun to use as bait here kek

>giving up on your bait that quickly.
At least this user had a feasible answer

I'm reading Kill the Moon's live thread. It's glorious for keks.

Especially the "Moffat won't fail us" comment an user said right before the ep started.

the KTMhype user is truly the biggest idiot to ever inhabit this general

Not an idiot. From all the pre-hype, and the 10/10 reviews it was getting, it did seem really good. Heck, I like the episode.

It's just that the science is crap, and the whole plot rests on an intentionally controversial moral debate, and then it fell into an accidental abortion debate, and then it relies on how much you like Clara and/or Twelve to work.. And if you can't get past those, the whole episode falls down.

The first 10 minutes are GOAT. Then, what you said. It just crumbled.

>Not cats
>not cloister

Hi

people still warned him to keep the hype levels normal but he went into a serious propaganda campaign until the episode aired. /who/ will never see a moron the likes of him again

We need another Dalek splinter cell like the Cult of Skaro. They were exciting and interesting.

go to bed russell

Yes. The Cult were hugely wasted potential in the end.

Pretty much any elite group of baddies would be great, a special cybermen unit or the deadliest sontaran assassins would be something to work with too

How about the Volatix Cabal?

I do think major Who monsters work better in smaller groups. As soon as you bring in a great whacking CGI army of them, you know they'll all be blown up and it kinda reduces the threat (oh, and one will conveniently escape somehow, every fucking time). A handful at a time and you'd never be too sure if they'd survive.

Is that from an Eleventh Doctor Titan comic? Nice.

wake up /who/

Spare Parts confirmed?

Assuming Mackinnon is in the role of director again (I hope not desu) why would he leak images from his own show on his public twitter?

To tease and hype, presumably

What's wrong with Mackinnion?

yfw its marc platt writing

The best thing you can say about him is that he can tell the story in a way that is not incompetent. But his episodes have very little flair and tend to be way less visually sophisticated than the ones around them. (Also his attempt at Sherlock's visual style in Bride was a pale imitation, I still have unpleasant memories of that wobbly, long and pointless camera spin he did at one point.)
He got lucky with Listen because it was the most foolproof script Moffat has ever written, you'd have to actively try to make it look bad, but even the spaceship scenes are blighted with his neon light fetish and shot/framed fairly blandly. He is to directing as Briggs is to writing audios.

so when they adapt my fanfic 'The Thirteen Doctors', who should play the first three? I would say

1 - David Bradley
2 - Several options. Top 5 are Jason Isaacs, Jonathan Brugh, Tom Meeten, maybe David Troughton or Reece Shearsmith (no eyebrows though)
3. Sean Pertwee

ah, the mind of a sperg

1. Geoffrey Bayldon.
2. Jeanette Krankie.
3. Jim Jarmusch.

Reminder that nothing is actual until it's in the show :^))

Next series includes one episode with 'Ian Levine covered in shit having a wank' according to insiders.

1. Denzel Washington as the First Doctor. (Helen Mirren can play Susan.)

2. Rowan Atkinson as the Second Doctor.

3. Haley Atwell as the Third Doctor.

13 Bannerman Road is where Sarah Jane Smith lives!

>The Nightmare Man
Pretty damn good. I did start to notice last season that these kids are getting pretty old but I didn't expect an episode where Luke actually goes off to college. The nightmare scenes really rang true as representations of Luke's psyche. Instead of cliche fears about not being successful at college, he worries about being unwanted and unloved by the friends he's now surpassed and the adoptive mother who seems eager for him to move out.

>Vault of Secrets
Also a good one, although the fact that Androvax not only looks like a NuWho Silurian but is now a member of a species in suspended animation whose return brings them into conflict with humans AND this comes out the same year as The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood makes him feel like a knockoff of a proper Doctor Who monster. But this is actually better than THE/CB so who cares. Also, don't know if it was intentional but I like how he kind of turns Sarah Jane's philosophy from Prisoner of the Judoon back at her.

LUKE: The universe is about destruction, he said. Ultimately, everything's about death.
SARAH JANE: But that's only part of the truth. Parts of the universe are dying all the time. Planets, stars, people. But the amazing part is that it isn't the end. It's only the beginning of something new and exciting being born.

Androvax (justifying destroying the Earth to revive his people): Destruction and re-birth, Sarah Jane Smith. It is the way of the universe.

American here. Where can I watch Class? Will it be on BBCA?

No idea about the BBCA stuff but it will be here www primewire ag/?tv , add the dots, no more than an hour (usually about 10 minutes, rarely longer than an hour) after broadcast.

Thanks, and hello, Cloister. Did Belle read any more of the anthology? Does she have any more reviews?

No not yet, at least not much further than she was. She says she's sorry, but she's been really really busy and will hopefully continue by the end of the week. She'll have something for you then. I may or may not be around over the next week. It's going to be a difficult one for me. I'm having to put down my older service dog spooky. I dont know how I'm going to handle it and if I spazz out let me apologize in advance, and just report my posts if I do. I don't want to be disruptive and would rather eat a ban.

That sucks, man. Sorry for you.

thank you

I'm very sorry to hear that Cloister, be strong

Stay strong cloyman.

I want to believe

>Cybermen lurking in hospitals is such an obvious idea it's amazing it hasn't been done

It was done by BF in Harvest with 7 but I think you've hit on a golden nugget with them appearing as salvation for the terminally ill. It's so dark it would bring DW closer to Black Mirror

Ty!

Sorry for your loss, faam.

>if I spazz out let me apologize in advance, and just report my posts if I do. I don't want to be disruptive and would rather eat a ban.
I admire your nobility.

>so dark it would bring DW closer to Black Mirror

BBC and Ofcom would get hundreds of complaints from viewers that it's too dark for a pre-watershed family show.

I know that there would be some dumb executives and people to complain but they did the same back when Hinchcilffe was around and his work is still among the most highly regarded

>it's a "the 11th Doctor 'dies' episode"
I have to admit I really like things like multi-Doctor specials that bring different eras of Doctor Who together and Death of the Doctor might actually do that more than anything else in the whole franchise. It's got the Matt Smith as the Doctor in The Sarah Jane Adventures written by RTD with Jo Grant and numerous flashbacks and references to the classic series. And on top of that it manages to be a really neat episode. Sarah Jane's denial over the Doctor's death really shows the depth of her love for him more than her anything in School Reunion. I was never really that big of a Jo fan, but then I was never really that big of a Sarah Jane fan outside of SJA and she's good here. And I like the theme that the real world is as wonderful as the world of Doctor Who and how the episode climaxes with a series of flashbacks from Doctor Who and SJA being topped off by a montage of real-world locations that Jo has traveled to post-Doctor.

>The Empty Planet
I also really love these high concept, Twilight Zone-esque episodes (and I like that it wasn't the fucking Trickster, as I'm kind of getting sick of his schtick). Although in Part Two the high concept premise goes from "everyone on Earth except Clyde and Rani have disappeared" to "ZOMG IT'S TWO ROBOTS." In fact, the degree to which the "next time" trailer stresses the robots and the fact that there are TWO robots is downright funny. But yeah, good serial. Clyde and Rani are OTP. Also I'm calling now, series 4 is the GOAT season of SJA. I don't have high hopes for the reign Prince Gavin though. The first thing he does upon finding out he's prince of another planet is become a spoiled little shit who declares and savors the fact that he's "the most important person" on that planet or Earth.

I'm really fucking confused, is Lord Rathen from Minister of Chance a time lord?

NEW CYBERMEN HAPPENING

Holy shit that's creepy. GOAT Series 10?

>teardrops
W-what...? It's real?

>yfw the Classic Series writer is Marc Platt doing a 12th Doctor adaptation of Spare Parts
It's probably fake tho.

He's the son of a Time Lord and a human, but he has the powers of a Time Lord.

Ah. There really needs to be a wiki on it.

Blame TARDIS Wiki's retatded canon policy.

new