I like to remind Cred Forums how fucking amazing this movie is every couple months when you've all forgotten

I like to remind Cred Forums how fucking amazing this movie is every couple months when you've all forgotten.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I wanted to see it when it came out but never got around to it. It's been brought up quite a bit recently though so maybe I'll get around to it soon.

I hope Hacksaw Ridge is good.

Yeah, it was really good.

Hmm, think i might have to re watch it. Can't remember too much from the movie. Thanks for the idea, this slow sunday

>how fucking amazing this movie is
Its a film

I'm more excited for the apparent Viking movie we're getting. But definitely get around to Apocalypto when you can it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

It's not really that good. Great production design, acting, direction, etc. but the story gets pretty dumb especially in the second half with the 100% true prophecy that sounds like some Harry Potter shit and the ridiculous birth scene. Ending is fantastic though

YES. So. Good. Especially with the whole out of the frying pan and into the fire ending.

great movie. proof that Gibson can do Kino. Hacksaw Ridge is going to be pure wannabe oscar bait shit though. corny cinematography. corny plot. jew pandering etc

What was ridiculous about the birth? Water births are actually a very common thing.

And I mean the little girl being possessed early on was a giveaway that the supernatural was a real thing.

The birth was just stupid, Idc if it's a real thing it took away from the film and was just absurd to watch. Having the prophecy be real invalidates the corruption of the leaders of the cult/city.

Pretty stunning desu, I went into it 8 months ago with no expectations and was blown away.

Want to watch The Passion of the Christ at some point

But what exactly is stupid? That's what I'm trying to understand. It's dumb because you didn't know it's a valid and popular form of giving birth? It's come back as an new wave type of deal in recent years too for "natural" births because weirdly enough the baby can actually swim and won't drown underwater.

its not a viking movie.

Its a movie about the irish with vikings being the bad guys.

vikings were always the bad guys

literally just started watching. already I want to hunt a boar and eat a fuckton of meat, go home to titties everywhere.

Mel Gibson is /ourguy/
Disagree? Kill yourself.

>the sacrifice scene

It's completely fucking awful. Mel is a hack. Shame because he's based, he just can't make films

Let us take a moment to thank Mel, having not rustled the hornets nest we would have gotten more like this

I watched this in my friends home theater high as I could be. He didn't have a projector he had a 60 some inch t.v.. It was truly remarkable the quality.
But the Kino was average at best

I enjoyed it, but I feel like it underestimated the culture. If you've read Aztec, you can see the potential of a movie like this. Imagine Rome, but in the Aztec empire.

This movie only showed the soldiers and plebs, there is so much to be explored in the ruling and aristocratic culture.

If they could make an HBO Rome style show set in this location and timeline, it could be like nothing ever seen before. Big missed opportunity.

>notice this is on tv
>expect it to be censored to hell
>it's not at all

Do yourself a favor and listen to based Mel's directors commentary track.

Mel got it right.

:>Mel hid waldo in a single frame in a mass grave

Suprised he got away with it at the time desu.

>Aztec

They where Mayans pleb

> Unga bunga sky dragon need hearts
> Bun gunga bunga gunga enslave other tribe
> Bunga bunga sacrifice slaves.

Riveting i'm sure.

>rivers in Yucatan
>stupid timeline
>maya are bloodlusting idiots
>basically a new iteration of the mayincatec trope

It's like the director's a, dare I say it, hack

it's set in the twilight hours of the mayan empire you fucking noob. they're less than a decade away from total dissolution.

it's like if they set rome 400 years after augustus instead of right before.

My point still stands. They were both cultures with highly educated ruling classes, they both butt pyramids. It's boring and unfair not to give us a taste of tHe educated and aristocracy.

>they both butt pyramids
forty fucking keks

OLAC

>highly educated ruling classes, they both butt pyramids

At certain points in their history. Doesn't make a snapshot of their civilization amid decline invalid.

>The High priest and the king exchange knowing looks when the eclipse happens

Pure fucking kino. Based Mel

>there is so much to be explored in the ruling and aristocratic culture.

The problem is that the movie is about the lives of the very lowest of the low: the sacrifices. They aristocratic do not interact with them.

You could have a movie talking about what you speak of, but it would have to be a separate movie and completely different plot.

Agreed

this

rumors say its going to be about brian boru

they said they were Mayans but they acted much more like Aztecs. The Mayans weren't all about human sacrifice like the Aztecs were.

Did you listen to Bert's podcast recently too.

So you're saying newborns are smarter than black people?

Based Mel is finally coming back. stronger then ever.
I'm vary of Hacksaw Ridge. I have no doubts that it will be good, but more like "hollywood-good" and not "mel-good"

it's not very good

The birth was not stupid. I think it's you who's stupid.

It's better than the Revenant.

It truly is an amazing movie. Amazing sets and cinematography. Amazing acting. The dialogue isn't in english. They dont appeal to the lowest common denominator by shoe-horning robert downey jr in there somwhere. It's just great. Gibson is truly a patrician of the cinema arts. Passion was great too

Why is there a prophesy in this movie? It feels so out of place.

How is it out of place? When ooga boogas literally think prophecies and gods and all this shit are everywhere? Are you fucking stupid? Jesus Christ.

>the good mayans living in shitty wooden huts and living like hunter-gatherers despite the fact that hunter-gatherers hadn't been around in a 1000 years in the region
>the good mayans are basically egalitarian noble savages instead of having a strict social hierarchy, a priestly class and organized religion
>the evil mayans are clearly aztects as evidenced by their costumes, weapons and the scale of human sacrifice
>the sacrifices being captured in a dishonorable morning raid instead of an elaborate ritual war fought for honor and glory
>the good mayans acting like they've never seen a city before when they're captured and having no idea what's happening even though they would have performed human sacrifice as well and likely done trade with the larger city
>the sacrifices just get disgracefully dumped into a mass grave instead of being ritualistically cannibalized and flayed and the skins worn around by the priests pretending to be gods
>the mass grave being literally right next to their fucking corn field
0/10 would not offer to Kukulkan

watching it again right now
based mel

literally a guy running and making faces for two hours. yeah, no thanks.

kek
Read more, faggot

WAAAAAAH THE FILMMAKER TOO CREATIVE LIBERTIES

I saw it when it came out (10 fucking years ago). Watched it again recently, it truly is a great movie.

>DeKendrix
>JaTavious
>Takeitha
>Litrelle
>Latevin
>LaDarius
Is this a troll? Those can't be real names.

>Mayans weren't all about human sacrifice
What is the ballgame

>>the sacrifices just get disgracefully dumped into a mass grave instead of being ritualistically cannibalized and flayed and the skins worn around by the priests pretending to be gods

Y'know it's pretty amazing that it was as un-PC and brutal as it was. Hollywood hates showing primitive savages being primitive savages.

Reality is a million times worse.

Will there ever be a Ghengis Khan movie that doesn't try to make him seem redeemed, that doesn't skimp on the brutal genocide and mass slaughter? I think not.

I don't think you could get away with showing what they actually did. Hell, you can't even mention real observations done on the primitive aboriginal tribes in Australia and Papua New Guinea, because it shows them regularly beating and murdering and fucking their own children. Some even ate them.

Reality is racist. Censor it.

>Y'know it's pretty amazing that it was as un-PC and brutal as it was.

It's not. You're just an ignorant sack of shit.

Care to elaborate at all on that statement, provide examples or any kind of argument?

Or are you just feeling he righteous high horse shoved up your ass?

bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-11172054

Shut up, nerd.

what about bone tomahawk?

watched it few weeks ago

pgood lads give it a watch

>entire movie about how barbaric Amerindians are
>movie ends with Amerindians groveling at the majesty of Christians as soon as they get off the boat
What did Gibson mean by this?

> Unga bunga sky man (OC DONUT STEAL) needs sacrifices
>Bun gunga bunga gunga enslave dem gauls and dem germans
>Bunga gunga death by colosseum

It actually is

Eh Bone Tomahawk is a low budget under the radar indie flick. Melli G making a movie is big front page news that can't avoid scrutiny. And even then I saw bits and pieces of criticism over BT's depiction of Natives and how they intentionally put in the normal one early on so they could go SEE THEYRE NOT ALL SAVAGE

I dont know why theyre pushing the whole "medic doesnt want to carry a weapon thing" More often than not medics in ww2 didnt carry weapons.

I thought this fil. Was underrated. Better than expected.

That guy's religion didn't allow him to carry weapons.

>primitive savages being primitive savages
Maya civilization was savage as fuck, but they weren't primitive.

There's a movie (pic related) called Oro ("gold") being made in Spain about a Conquistador expedition inspired by real life experiences of Aguirre.

It's based on a short story by the author of Alatriste, the one with Viggo Mortensen. Could be cool, I guess, especially because the actors are actually Spaniards.

I love gritty authentic period pieces so much. This sounds good. Is there a trailer?

>see they're not all savage
I understand the logic behind putting in a "normal" native so as to not insult the actual Native American population if that was indeed the ulterior motive behind that character. but it's not like it damaged the movie in any way and the only reason people could possibly bitch about it is because "pussies too scared to just make them all savages!!" which is just kind of a lame edgelord reason to bitch. but whatever, sometimes I forget where I am I guess.

The people in this movie are Aztec in all but name, Mel's history advisor was either a hack or didn't give a fuck.

>apparent Viking movie

what movie friends?

>the sacrifices being captured in a dishonorable morning raid instead of an elaborate ritual war fought for honor and glory

>Romanticising human sacrifice
If you want to say that they didn't do morning raids, fine. But to act like there was honour in capturing innocent people who were not actively at war against you is wrong. The reason why they didn't do morning raids has nothing to do with a self imposed set of moral rules. It was driven by the same paranoid fear of a mystical, invisible, thirsty warlord of a god that drove them to enact murder upon their fellow man in the first place. There is nothing noble about being cucked by an imaginary friend into extreme cruelty. Not even fedoraing right now.

Haven't heard much about it in a while but

>He has also expressed an intention to direct a movie set during the Viking Age, starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Like The Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto, he wants this speculative film to feature dialogue in period languages.[93] However, DiCaprio ultimately opted out of the project.[94] In a 2012 interview, Gibson announced that the project, which he has titled Berserker, was still moving forward.[95]

aight thanks for the info senpai

this

the subtle showing of corruption of the elites is this movie's strongest point

Based Mel inserted this frame into the first teaser trailer for the movie, the ABSOLUTE MADMAN

Won't that guy's eardrum burst when the gun is fired?

considering he was trying to accurately portray a civilisation, he should have gone for the Aztecs or Incans

>Andrew Garfield
dropped

My favourite post this week.

>Heavily researched Mayan history themselves
>Brought in professors in Mayan culture and archaeology to consult the entire way through
>Cred Forums still think they know more about the Mayans

Mayans played soccer with people's heads you moron they were brutal

So to turn this into a Melly thread.

Is this as amazing as it looks and sounds?

black powder in a musket has a rather drawn out and much more quiet muzzle signature compared to modern centerfire cartridges
i've never been that close to a muzzle but since his ear is behind it i recon (based on my experiences) that there will be no lasting damage unless 300 of his buddies pull the same trick during his next campaign
but there will be EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE for sure, if not for long

>elaborate ritual war fought for honor and glory
fuck you now I wanna watch that

>implying directors listen to history consultants
they just did it for people like you, to go around saying how is well researched and professional.

Na I think he did it to rustle the jimmies of the politically correct pansies like you.

You want to watch the Crusades?

what the fuck are you even talking about

None of the characters have arcs. What was the villain's plan, even? Why does the hero have do few spoken lines? Why is everything so colorless and desaturated? The ending renders everything that happens in the story irrelevant.

Oh wait. I thought this was a BvS thread. Carry on.

Any documentaries of this out there?

Reality was a lot worse than what the movie depicts you fucking retard.