youtube.com/watch?v=BE9fN79Q0-Y
youtube.com/watch?v=aathldHtnJA
youtube.com/watch?v=IGj8B4tLK-g
youtube.com/watch?v=4RHVoFpncgA
youtube.com/watch?v=tAf9oCU5dF8
youtube.com/watch?v=UGxgFaMu8jM
youtube.com/watch?v=sZLcIpbOHIU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oh hey it's this failed meme again. Joel, go back to hiring old ladies and niggers. Nobody likes you, you autistic fuck.

>Joel Era
Lame until Mike Becomes the Head Writer

>Mike Era
Great from day 1

Joel is a sellout hack.

Was Joel on drugs in his last couple of seasons? his energy just seems gone like he clearly doesn't want to be there anymore.

that being said i'm glad the joel era exists, many fond memories when this was syndicated by comedy central.

>Felicia Day era
???

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...

>jock

How is Mike a Jock? And i dont recall him being taken from a frat house.

>Joel era
>slow

>Mike era
>sarcasm

The bots reflect the host more than they have their own style, aside from post-Joel Trace as Crow, where he just became unhinged and screamed over Mike and Tom most of the time.

Before nuMST3K, it was debatable which one was better.

Now, after Joel sold out and completely fucked over all his buddies who helped make MST3K by refusing to involve them, it's pretty clear Mike was the better of the two.

I think it's also easier to connect with Mike because he's snappier and more sarcastic, and the jokes of his era are also a little bit more mean.

And of course the movies were a lot better. The Joel era had tons of movies that were more boring than bad, which didn't allow for a ton of jokes.

Apparently he wasn't getting along too well with Jim Mallon in those last few seasons, they were having "creative differences." I hear that's why he left

I thought it was so he could pursue his lame prop comedy.

I've run through MST3K several times, and honestly it has always been a grind to get through the first couple of seasons pre Mike writer, and Kevin as Servo.

That's when the show got funny, and when Joel left it got even funnier because Mike was able to deliver his lines they way they were meant to. Joel just seemed like he was stoned all the time and so monotone.

>they were having "creative differences." I hear that's why he left
That's right. Joel didn't want to make MST3k: The Movie, which is a shame because I think despite the executive meddling it's a great film, and it's how I usually introduce new people to the series.

It's a great movie, a lot of fantastic lines, and this island earth is a favorite classic. Goes to show that Joel just didn't care much for the future of the show, just cared about reading his lines, doing his prop sketches and running off and getting stoned afterward.

I loved the invention exchanges desu

sketches weren't nearly as good in the later seasons

>sketches weren't nearly as good in the later seasons
That's crazy talk. 90% of Joel's sketches they were doing that 'acting like kids in a high school play' thing and speaking disjointedly and hesitatingly, it drove me mad. The invention exchanges were better but still Joel's were generally not funny at all, ones made by the Mads were usually worth a chuckle though.

Joel never did anything close to the Eddie Nelson bits in Time Chasers, or Dog & Bear. Even when SciFi forced them to write storylines, those were great, especially the stuff on the Brain Guy planets and the Mike Nelson, Destroyer of Worlds stuff.

Mike fixing the sketches and making them fantastic:

youtube.com/watch?v=GfBr5l4S63Q

This. Mike had superior sketches and superior riffs.

It was EXTRA BOLD of him to totally upstage Joel at his own game like that. Do we know for sure if the inventions they did after Joel left were just leftovers or they created them to continue the format?

>Dog & Bear
I can never keep a straight face through Crow's monologue
youtube.com/watch?v=yy-dsQx5XZc

I always wondered that but I've never been able to confirm whether they were left overs or stuff Mike wrote.

youtube.com/watch?v=4ellEb0jlj8

I loved the movie and it's what got me into the show.

But was it supposed to be a joke that the MST3K "movie" was shorter than a normal episode of the show?

Also Mike & Joel episodes have their own charm but fuck Joel and his nuMST3K faggotry.

I wasn't talking about the "Joel" sketches, I mean the "Comedy Central" era sketches. I don't believe in any of this Joel vs Mike bullshit I like them both

The reason the later sketches aren't as good is because Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy aren't nearly as funny or likable as Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank, this is a fact

>Dr. Forester, I'm Deep 13

I love Pearl but Mike + Dr. Forrester + TV's Frank was pure gold

I totally forgot about that sketch though, Mike's expression there is fucking priceless

Post more God-Tier sketches, we'll see who had the best eventually

youtube.com/watch?v=-8O4UWeAglU

there are just so many good ones

youtube.com/watch?v=8xvhn122ygc

>Pearl, Bobo and Brain Guy aren't nearly as funny or likable as Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank, this is a fact
I disagree
youtube.com/watch?v=UvPzxC_HpPA#t=1m15s

Posting songs is basically cheating, MIke is so talented

youtube.com/watch?v=FGRHqvC7f_o

Sad that the new Servo will never be as charming as Kevin's Servo.

youtube.com/watch?v=Ree220FiOEg

youtube.com/watch?v=G8hdO7Z8yVo

youtube.com/watch?v=BE9fN79Q0-Y

youtube.com/watch?v=aathldHtnJA

youtube.com/watch?v=IGj8B4tLK-g

youtube.com/watch?v=4RHVoFpncgA

>good buddy robots
>retarded robots
They were the same robots. The only thing that changes is the group dynamic.

>Joel Era
>Robots treat him as a father figure
>Mike Era
>Robots treat him as an equal, if not inferior

It really only depends on what you prefer. But honestly, that only has to do with the host segments. The riffing gets better with each season, as they continue to tighten up the writing.

>Felicia Day era
She's the Mad, not the one trapped on the SOL.

end ur life joel

I'm sorry, I just don't see it. They don't have nearly as much charisma. Also they did this shtick before where Forrester and TV's Frank go into the theater. Last of the Wild Horses I think it's called? That was better done IMO

I do love Bill Corbett's Crow though, moreso than Trace's

>Also they did this shtick before where Forrester and TV's Frank go into the theater. Last of the Wild Horses I think it's called? That was better done IMO
That had a different dynamic, that was an alternative universe where they were the ones on the SoL

Like the bot relationship being different, the relationship with Pearl was different, Mike was a bit of a softie and felt sorry for her not being as successful in her evil ventures, whereas Joel always just had a kind of stoner's contempt for Dr. Forrester (woah, like, not cool, Dr. F).

She's kind of like a grandmother figure, like Lwaxana Troi from Star Trek, I like her too.

I don't hate Pearl, I just don't find her nearly as funny as Dr. Forrester, and her bits with Bobo and Brain Guy seem less charming and more forced compared to Dr. F and TV's Frank.

>Dr.Forrester i'm S.O.L

>I do love Bill Corbett's Crow though, moreso than Trace's

I really enjoy the running gag where Crow Is questioning his identity, and "comes out of the closet".

Mike was more of a gearhead doper.

>Great from day 1

Until the first season of Sci-Fi. Only the last Sci-Fi season is decent.

A great example of how one sound effect can make or break a joke.

>Only the last Sci-Fi season is decent.
How can you be so misguided? Season 8 is easily the best

>Just because one woman exists all women exist?
Cred Forums.org

Hi Joel, big fan but Mike is great.

Mike is a follower. Not a leader or a creator.

If it wasn't for Joel, Mike couldn't make a living ripping off Joel's show doing Rifftrax.

Best season of the show is season 3 anyway. Sure Mike was writing, but Joel was a great host.

>not being a patrician fan of both

Mike was good, but Joel was great

If Joel is the best why was KTMA the worst? Why did Cinematic Titanic sink like its namesake but RiffTrax is going strong?

>If Joel is the best why was KTMA the worst?
because it was improv

>Why did Cinematic Titanic sink like its namesake but RiffTrax is going strong?
What does this have to do with the original show? Both pale in comparison to MST3K

>If Joel is the best why was KTMA the worst?

Because it was a local broadcast zero budget show.

>Why did Cinematic Titanic sink like its namesake but RiffTrax is going strong?

Joel disbanded Cinematic Titanic to restart MST3K. Which wound up being wildly more successful as a Kickstarter than CT.

>because it was improv
No it wasn't, they can't see the movie while they're filming it

The point is all Joel solo projects are shit and all Mike solo projects are great

>Joel disbanded Cinematic Titanic to restart MST3K
There was a 4 year gap between the end of CT and the reboot of MST3k, Joel was just getting poor

>There was a 4 year gap between the end of CT and the reboot of MST3k, Joel was just getting poor

Last CT live show was November 2013. MST3K Kickstarter was November 2015. Two year time span and a normal length of time for Joel to get the put everything into place to relaunch the show.

>No it wasn't, they can't see the movie while they're filming it
It was ad-libbed, look it up nigger

>The point is all Joel solo projects are shit and all Mike solo projects are great
which has fuck all to do with their merits as hosts

>Joelfags will defend this

I like both

Joel's delivery is top-notch but I liked the dynamic between Mike and the robots a lot

>It was ad-libbed, look it up nigger
The networks thought it was ad-libbed and told them to stop it, Joel never corrected them to save face.

How can it be ad-libbed if there were writers credits for people other than Joel and the bots?

Mike is funnier, but Joel is comfier.

New guy did some travel documentaries this year, I saw the first one and it was pretty good.

>Two year time span and a normal length of time for Joel to get the put everything into place to relaunch the show.
And what exactly did he get set up? Nobody was involved except him, and he admitted in the Kickstarter that the cast wasn't fixed yet

>sellout hack
Joel was a successful "new wave" comedian in the early 80s. Was on track to be a major player, making Pee Wee Herman figures.

He threw all that shit away to go back to Minnesota and make a show he could enjoy.

> sellout hack

Mike wouldn't even have a job unless Joel threw away millions as a standup

Just try to deny that you don't forget that she's not Mary Tyler Moore!

>How can it be ad-libbed if there were writers credits for people other than Joel and the bots?
Because they took notes beforehand, there still wasn't any script. Even if you still want to believe they were scripted (which they weren't) it's still completely normal for a show to have growing pains, especially when it starts out with a shoe-string budget

Joel was a prop comic, dude, not exactly raking in the cash doing that

Why would I defend it? I like him as the host of a show from the 90's not as a person

SJW3K

The sketches were scripted. The theater segments weren't.

>he doesn't know about Frank

Joel = Mike
Kevin > Josh
Trace > Bill

Guy must be a genius because that is literally the first Hillary shitpost I've ever laughed at

that was pretty funny desu

>He thinks Trace is better than Bill

It was shorter because the execs cut their budget forcing them to strip musical numbers.

3/3, well played friend.

>The sketches were scripted. The theater segments weren't.
How do you ad-lib riffs to a movie you can't see? They're literally just sitting in front of a white wall reading from a script.

And the reverse angle

Joel had to wrestle the rights to MST3K away from co-owner Jim Mallon. Then set up the sale of the show to Shout Factory and then create the Kickstarter. Two years for that sounds likely.

You're probably some famous business mogul who spends his spare time shitposting on Cred Forums who could get all that done in under three months though, right?

>the process of the Mike-Era must be exactly how they did it in the KTMA days
and just how did you come to this conclusion?

>After going from cable access to a network with a budget, they just decided to stop watching the movie at the same time because reasons
Why would they do that?

They had a monitor off-camera where they could watch themselves. Otherwise how could they do the visual gags (like holding up an umbrella to block nudity)?

They have runtimes for the gags in the script and time it when recording. And rotoscoping was done in post-production, not real-time while filming.

I was a Joel fan, then Joel dug up MST3K's corpse so Tumblr and Reddit could rape it to death. Mike is now the better host.

With that said Comedy Central years are still the best. Sci-Fi limited the range of the show.

maybe because they switched to a script-based format? Golly gee it's almost like when you change something fundamental it affects the entire creative process

But which was superior?

Why would they stop though? It's not like scripts prevent televisions from working. They wouldn't have gone out of synch singing along the soundtrack so often if they knew what was happening at the time.

Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Pearl, Brain Guy, and Bobo any day.

Pearl is the worst character of any TV show in the history of the world.

anyone who would choose Pearl over Forrester and TV's Frank should hang

Can't we just get beyond hyperbole?

Hell if I know

What I do know is that every source I can find says it was ad-libbed. I've never read anything except your posts that claim otherwise, so unless you got some sources you're not going to convince me

but that's half the fun of posting on a Laotian Ass Licking Board

>Tumblr
Most of the old cast are Al Franken type Minnesota liberals. Read their twitters sometime.
Sure, Mike's a Republican, but he was more than counterbalanced by everyone else involved.

youtube.com/watch?v=tAf9oCU5dF8

>Al Franken type Minnesota liberals
Yeah, and remember when liberals gave a shit about things like war, labor or environmentalism instead of just "check your cis privilege you transphobic racist shitlord fucking white male"?

I mean fuck right now they're literally saying "We'd rather invade Syria, pay a couple trillion more dollars to Wall Street and outsource all union labor to Chinese slaves or undocumented migrants than vote for a guy who disrespects women"

Show was unwatchable in the Mike era, wtf are you talking about?

Go to bed Elvis

Big difference between being a lefty and being a Tumblrina.

I do not anticipate seeing 2017 MST3K whining about old movies being Problematic.

Jesus fuck, they said they stopped making CT because scheduling them all to be in the same city for the shows was a problem.

And the reason they were doing shows is because their DVDs weren't making enough money because they were shit and most people were unwilling to pay for it

Silhouettes on platforms in front of a movie? never gonna work, they have to be in a row of theater seats.

The problem wasn't the format, it was that it wasn't funny.

Does anyone actually like Rifftrax? I know the site still exists, but they generally joke about modern famous easily accessible movies. Just doesn't work for me.

The spirit of MST3K is to get through really bad cheap and obscure movies with jokes.

The point is they stopped making Cinematic Titanic before coming up with the mst3k reboot

They still do their best when given garbage to work with, like Twilight, Eragon or Avatar

>implying Pence wouldn't do all that shit anyway while Trump spends his entire term wanking in the Oval Office

They do some old movies too, the problem is the format, it's a downloadable MP3 so they have to Riff movies that people either have on DVD or would be willing to buy. If not, RiffTrax have to get the distribution rights to the film as well.

I like some of them; the X-Men trilogy, the Star Wars prequels, the Star Treks they did, Starship Troopers and Battlefield Earth are all great.

The riffs of the public domain shorts they do are probably the closest to the original MST3k.

TV's Frank's stand up is pretty good. His twitter is annoying as EVERY joke is anti-republican. Like even when it doesn't make sense.

>I hate waiting in line at the DMV...almost as much as i hate republicans!!!

why is crow facing the audience and not the movie?
why isn't tom's head see through

Rifftrax is hit-and-miss, some episodes are gold while others fall flat

It's serviceable when you've already watched all of MST3K and still need a fix

He didn't fuck any over, unless you count Trace.

Mike and Kevin were well compensated and Mike himself gave Joel good advice to make Felicia shut the fuck up and just look pretty so she would not kill the revival by reminding people why no one likes her.

Mike isn't involved in the revival because he doesn't want Rifftrax to suffer from divide attention. Kevin IS going to do a guest spot on the new show and as stated above, longstanding financial issues between Mike/Kevin/Bill have been resolved in their favor with Joel's help following Mallon selling the series to Shout

>Felicia
>look pretty
tall order desu

>Mike
>Frat boy
I see no reason to discuss something with someone that's clearly retarded.

>why is crow facing the audience and not the movie?
He is facing the movie. Necker cube illusion.
>why isn't tom's head see through
To prevent distracting luma key artifacts. For maximum contrast the bots are painted black, and in the new series Jonah wears a black jumpsuit.

Doesn't the cheese factory in Minesota have a fraternity house?

youtube.com/watch?v=UGxgFaMu8jM

>Mike even outshines Joel as an extra
Savage

youtube.com/watch?v=sZLcIpbOHIU

Now that George Lucas has retired, Joel Hodgson has stepped up to take the mantle of King of Fucking Up Childhood Memories

he won't have the throne for long with that Xena reboot on the horizon

MST3K was already ruined with the Sci-Fi era reboot.

that was painfully lame

How so?

The skits were shit but the riffing was top-tier

Trace left. The new characters and host segments were mostly awful. It just wasn't the same anymore.

There were a couple good episodes, but the old magic was gone.

I disagree. The Sci-Fi Era was different but still great, and while they lost Trace and Frank they gained Bill Corbett, one of the best writers the series ever had.

How can you watch episodes like Space Mutiny, Prince of Space or Time Chasers and say the magic is gone? Yes, the host segments are awful. And pray tell, just how much of an typical episode's running time consists of host segments?

The host segments were always awful though.

Reminder the anti-mike movement originates from the final sacrifice. Where mike makes fun of nerds, tolkien, and canada.

They were never brilliant or anything, but the Comedy Central Era ones were charming IMO

Like I said the show already was different. You can name the good episodes as mentioned, but the show had changed and was already in a Lucas-like transitional state.

In season 10 you could tell they were running out of steam. Hamlet was god-awful. It Lives by Night was just the guys saying "squeak" over and over again and The Horrors of Spider Island was as dull as anything from season 1 of the Comedy Central era.

I don't know if the new series will even match the worst of the old show, but I'm going to give it a shot.

... why are you pretending every episode isn't hit or miss?

When I was a kid and I watched this show I always wondered how many doors a bullet or some bomb could get through.

Going back and watching Joel episodes, especially the earlier ones, is like pulling teeth. No one cares about your shitty prop comedy, man.

seasons 3-4 are great tho

There's some great episodes, but Joel adds nothing to them. I'd have loved to see an alternate Manos, Hands of Fate with Mike.

I disagree, I think Joel is really likable and I enjoy his prop comedy.

>I'd have loved to see an alternate Manos, Hands of Fate with Mike.
Funny you should say that, I'm quite sure there is a Rifftrax of it