Dalek Redesign

You are given the job of changing the design of the daleks to make them scary again, what would you change?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=0ahUKEwiM6MTAp9_PAhXhB8AKHQJpAA0Qxa8BCBswAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA
youtube.com/watch?v=VZoNAnY7ru4
youtube.com/watch?v=4ZVCj2gaerk
youtube.com/watch?v=UCsXO7r6-z4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

BBC

I put them on a show where they don't have to be used every year to maintain their license.

I personally would make it so the eyestalk has an actual kaled eye, maybe explaining why the mutant only has one

I putt Matt Smith's head on them. And fuck off back to /who/

I make them all one hundred feet tall

it's too messy. They should go back to the original designs and recognise that a sleak look would improve them in the long run. As much as I like a war design... They're not exactly at war with anything anymore so why would they still be in armour like that?

I stop using them for about 10 years.

Its not the design that's the problem. Its the writing.

But if I had to redesign I'd change the colour. Possibly give them colour codes but not teletubby colours like the fat matt smith ones. More like make them all gun metal with different coloured domes and maybe baubles for balance.

I'd also have different casings for daleks not related to war, but still recognizable, like the supreme ones currently have.

You can't.
They were never scary.

It's the writing that needs changing rather than the design. I do love this one though.

I don't think its overexposer that's the problem. Its just the way they are written.

The way they were used in 'time of the doctor' was going on the right track (though I didn't like other stuff in that episode) but the they ruined them again in that recent Davros one (which was a shame because the premise was pretty good and the opening scene was great as well, but after the titles it just fell apart).

they need a door in the front through which they can commit random acts of tentacle rape.

They've had that since 2005.

I'd make them look like this and get a new voice actor, the current one puts far too much emotion into their voices.

It happened
google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=0ahUKEwiM6MTAp9_PAhXhB8AKHQJpAA0Qxa8BCBswAA&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

Even just a silver and blue respray of the current designs would be nice.

I'd keep them in their containment thread

They're meant to have emotion. They aren't Cybermen.

I like colourful Daleks but I also like them to be sleek and shiny like the shawcraft models always were, pic related.

You can still convey emotion and stress with a monotone.

Maybe do the colour codes like this

>make them scary again
I think we're well past that point, you can't got back. At this point they should just embrace the comic relief.

>changing the design
That's not what makes Daleks scary, and never has been.

I don't like those colours. I'd like squad leaders in black casings, fleet commanders in red and supremes in gold.

I wanna get into doctor who but if it's the type of show to try to portray these these things as being scary I just couldn't get into it.

>try to portray these these things as being scary
"Try" being the operative word.

That sucker looks like it's going to grab some tit.

I would get rid of the eyestalk.

Having it swivel around and bob up and down makes it seem far too animated.

I would also change the plunger and laser to be hidden inside like R2D2.

I think this would make them look more like inanimate objects, make them less ridiculous seeming.

Well I originally suggested having them all gunmetal with different coloured domes.

I just made them because I thought it would be easy to mess with the hue. I might mess around some more though, get some better colour schemes.

Do you think I should have different eye colours or just make them all white like the classics?

the fear of the Daleks doesn't really come so much from their design but the way they talk and their machinations, doubly so when Davros is involved.

That said, they're saltshakers that can withstand nukes and destroy armies with just a single one.

The basic thing is going to be removing the things that people have already seen a million times, and keeping them unpredictable

>stop using them so often, so the familiarity is gone
>stop with the endless CGI armies - have only one or two so we can focus on the threat
>give them the 'classic' brass look, not the LGBT pride Power Ranger rainbow colours from the Matt Smith era
>give them less dialogue, so they use their catchphrase less often and the voice actor doesn't get to ham it up so much
>have a setting that allows them to move around easily
>emphasise the fact that they're slow and clunky because they're basically invincible and don't need to move quickly, rather than because they can't

In short, just do what they did in the first Christopher Eccleston Dalek episode, but without the sentimental stuff.

>people are scared of the way the daleks talk

Whenever I watch an episode with a group of people and there's a dalek reveal, the second they start talking there is always laughter. The dalek voice has been parodied so much it's become inherently amusing.

>Whenever I watch an episode with a group of people and there's a dalek reveal, the second they start talking there is always laughter. The dalek voice has been parodied so much it's become inherently amusing.

Damn whippersnappers

This. Dr who has become one of those cultural "nerd" things. I wouldn't be able to watch it without thinking "ooh this is what community/big bang theory/@midnight was referencing every other episode it just makes me think about other shows.

Well Doctor Who is more or less an anthology series. Some Dalek stories portray them seriously and make them threatening, some don't take them seriously and make them look silly, to varying degrees of quality.

compare
youtube.com/watch?v=VZoNAnY7ru4

to

youtube.com/watch?v=4ZVCj2gaerk

Homerun nigga. Agree on every point.

Idk if the acting is all like that girl who just knew the robot was staring straight into her soul with familiarity I might pass on that.

Leave everything the same, replace the giant black plunger with a giant black dildo. Put nipples on the skirt boobs.

is that url supposed to go somewhere? because it doesn't.

>You can still convey emotion and stress with a monotone.

how?

>The Daleks vs Cybermen episode where the Dalek commander keeps shittalking the cybermen.

youtube.com/watch?v=UCsXO7r6-z4

I'd get a second voice actor - having more than one was a big part of why they seemed so individual and organic, and Briggs' acting doesn't overcome a certain sameyness.

I'd go for a colour scheme similar to that in Death to the Daleks or even the original silver and blue-grey design (not the one usually seen, but the way they look in colour production photos from their first story).

I would get rid of Davros and act like he never existed, he only worked in Genesis and his new backstory is dire.

The brass look wasn't classic, they never had it prior to 2005.

They never were scary, by the way. Only to children, and we're not children.

welp OP. you've successfully made the only half interesting Doctor Who thread since 2009.

can we all agree that generals completely ruin a show on Cred Forums ?

pic not related but relevant

MORE. DALEK. BUMPS.
MORE. DALEK. BUUUUMPS!

At this point they may as well fuse the Dalek with the Cybermen. Both have experienced power-creep up to Borg levels.

WHY???

Here I've made some more colour schemes

Do the different coloured tops denote the Dalek's fat content?

Yes

I think the problem with the way daleks have been handled since RTD is that they have become way overpowered. Classic Daleks were soulless machines that used numbers and ingenuity to invade everywhere they could because that's what they were designed to do. Like Borg with a slew of negative emotions. They were tough but a concerted effort from a group of people could take one or two out.

The nuke proof/bullet melting/flying dalek kind of worked in ecclestones episode because there was only one. Once writers had to write stories involving armies of these daleks it became ridiculous.

>"You are better at dying"
Fucking savage

Well they almost beat the Time Lords, I think its safe to assume they are quite powerful.

That's what I mean. They've been supercharged since RTD came up with that storyline. The daleks as they were portrayed in the classic series (bar maybe Remembrance) probably wouldn't have been capable.

>Death to the Daleks colour scheme
Yes user. Like this.

Well the Time Lords were shitting themselves over them at the start of Genesis of the Daleks

shit forgot the pic

RTD Daleks were pretty brutal tbqh.

I remember an interview with RTD, where he said the daleks were going to be like this but he didn't wont them to be the same colour as the cybermen. (?)

There's nothing inherently wrong with making fun of Daleks, in fact it's a great idea, but Victory of the Daleks was absolute hot trash.

VOTD had a good idea and scrapped it for a crap one 15 minutes in

Did I say there was?

Helps to think back to the time when they first appeared on screen. They're space Nazis (which is why they talk the way they do.)

>And fuck off back to /who/
Fuck off, /who/ is a shithole. Actual decent Doctor Who threads are incredibly rare.

If you want a dalek story that truly makes them threatening again Lucie Miller and To The Death are definitely worth your attention

the design isn't the problem. its how they act. daleks aren't scary anymore because:
>they are easily distracted (about to kill the doctor/companion and they'll just go "SHUT UP I'M TALKING LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY" and the daleks will stop)
>are incompetent as fuck, just waddle around screaming "exterminate" repeatedly instead of actually murdering people
>are used way too often
>are easily defeated (always by the doctor pushing buttons or using le magic sonic screwdriver to create big explosions)
>are no longer treated as the deadliest force in the universe, the doctor isn't scared of them anymore

they need to go back to being treated as merciless space nazis who are literally the most powerful beings in the universe

Its weird though, because they are still repeatedly stated to be the deadliest force in the universe, and its heavily implied that they fuck everyone up when the doctor isn't there.

But then they turn up and act as you describe.