Kids movie: what went wrong?

Is The Goonies the most non-PC kids movie ever made? Can you imagine anybody writing a script similar to this today for a kid's movie and a studio actually producing it?

>opens with a suicide attempt
>one character is introduced by bullying a spic maid and joking about hard drugs and sexual torture
>one character is introduced with humiliation and fat shaming, for comedy purposes
>multiple gags about adult sexuality
>kid getting tortured by adults and locked with a corpse, for comedy purposes
>handicapped character being treated like an animal and verbally abused throughout the entire movie, parental abuse treated as a joke
>despite being crude in spirit, all these comedy elements are always cleverly (the mechanism to open the gate, the character's gluttony being what leads him to the freezer) and tastefully done (the broken Greek status or slashed paintings in the attic), to drive the plot forward (insulting the fat kid's mother so he'd open a door, character speaking Spanish is a plot point) or to develop characters (Mouth is actually a sweet guy beyond his wiseass facade, boy who cried wolf analogy for Chunk's lies), with a lot of wit and heart

It seems like anything made with kids in mind these days is completely devoid of this kind of spirit (shit like Super 8 or Stranger Things which supposedly borrow from those 80's movies are completely bland and safe, also lack its wit, heart and sense of adventure).

It can still be watched as an adult and most of the jokes are still funny. And it was produced by Spielberg who's still very active today, written by Colombus before he made Harry Potter, the most important kids movies of the last decade. What went wrong? No wonder kids these days all grow up to be numales.

This was a good post OP, I'm sorry no one replied to your thread.

>What went wrong?
the jew got too powerful

>them panty shots

great flick

This is a good post.

>Harry Potter, the most important kids movies of the last decade.

Great summing up why The Goonies is the greatest film of all time OP.
10/10 would read again

>that spilling the beans scene with Chunk
>"I wanna play the violin!"

Don't forget one of the characters is a literal deformed retard chained in a basement and played off for laughs. And the kid in the freezer with the dead body. Actually op I was thinking about watching this the other day with my 4 year old brother but decided against it. Thank you for confirming what I assumed it being a tad too soon for them.

Never seen this flick. Is it worth the time investment for a no-nostalgia viewing?

It's a genuinely good film user.
OP has inspired me to watch it

Based on this recommendation I will begin my viewing.

>>opens with a suicide attempt

I think you'll find the movie opens with a successful jailbreak. Did you even watch that bit?

I'm jealous you get to see it for the first time user.

Glad we are now a politically correct community with things like Strange Things instead of this homophobic movies.

Good Bless Hillary! 8 years of progress are coming, shitlords!

You're like someone who heard a campfire story from someone whose cousin went to middle school with a kid whose dad's boss once read part of a clickbait article written by someone who saw a grainy black and white photo of an SJW.

thanks for correcting the record

>I think you'll find the movie opens with a successful jailbreak. Did you even watch that bit?
He pretends to hang himself, to trick the jail guard. Imagery is still here;

Saw this movie on tv the other day, I forgot how many panty shots there were of Kerri green... Very, very nice!!!

Man this is so true.

Everything now is about feelings and sensibilities and inviduality despite all of it being vapid and worthless without pacing and motion. Like you said yourself, it all drove the plot and the characters remain immortally beloved because of it telling a good story through it all.

Not a suicide attempt though. OP definitely shouldn't have worded it that way. It's misleading.

kids stopped acting like kids and started acting/wanted to be treated like mini adults. If they made anything with a "kids" vibe to it they would toss in them making websites or tweeting about social issues instead of just playing and having fun and going on adventures

I think about this a lot. Compare The Adventures of Pete and Pete to modern Nick shows. It seems like they're all about kids wanting to be famous.

Like everything else that's gotten ruined basically throughout all of history, the answer is - women got involved.

Literally true. Women drove the PC culture of hurt feelings because some cunt shat out a retard or fat kid and wanted the world to change to accommodate them, instead of the other way around. People started listening to these stupid bitches because they were an extremely vocal minority, and therefore movies became stale garbage where being carefully inoffensive was more important than telling a good story.

I really loved how they organically added in a girl character and how she didn't really dominate from the start. In 2016 Goonies all the boys would have been obsessed and horny with her beauty and she would have likely been the kid who thinks of most of the stuff.

Like in Stranger Things the second the bald girl comes in its ALL about HER. I mean, is she a freak, is she scary, is she cute, is my puberty happening because she is here? Will she save us using mind powers? Holy shit those mind powers are cool!

When Ally Sheedy used her piano playing it was intense and scary, she was bad at it and so they almost died but when she figured it out she became a Goonie too and it felt like a achievement for Ally, she just wasn't handed her Goonie status and then proved why she was THE BEST.

Which character do you think Ally Sheedy played? No resemblance whatsoever.

What else did Spielberg make him do with that mouth?

>all the boys would have been obsessed and horny with her beauty

Only if she okayed it and she were equally attracted to them. Boys who obsess over girls who are out of there league are creepy and thought rapists.

it was a different time

bump