I'm watching True Detective for the first time, and I'm absolutely shocked by this character

I'm watching True Detective for the first time, and I'm absolutely shocked by this character.

For years now I've heard some people whose opinions I respect, including Cred Forums's, praising him but I'm astonished at how cartoonish, tryhard, comically bad he is, and genuinely shocked when I retrospectively re-avaluate all the praise he got.

The idea of this deep, troubled, philosophical-detective looking into satanic conspiracies is something a teenager would write. It's ludicrous. Please, please tell me that there are people who also despise this character here on Cred Forums.

bump

Rust is based.

Reminder that Rust is reddit's guy and Marty is /ourguy/

Why would he be despised?

Coz he has some retarded philosophies?

That's everyone my dude.

Nic Pizzolatto is mentally a teenager. McCounaughey and Fukunaga took the script and ran with it, but if you transcribe that shit line by line, Pizza man very clearly comes across as a juvenile retard. In interviews, too, you can see him trying to look and sound cool and pepper his every sentence with as many 10-dollar words as he can stuff needlessly in. He talks like a college freshman essay.

If a popular tv show that most people have already forgotten about made you this strongly and negatively opinionated then I suggest you reevaluate your life.

Rusts great though, how can you not like his edge?

He's an edgelord yeah. But you could go another route and argue that he was over compensating for his daughter's death, saying that nothing matters and all, when deep down he actually cared which is supported by his catharsis in the finale and all that spiritual talk. it depends on you to shit on it or believe in the writers and that they weren't writing for 14 year olds

Rust is the end result of being raised in a demoralized and spiritually subverted country.

to add to that a disclaimer to my first sentence, I actually believe in most of his philosophies. but the thing is I dont go around telling everyone and acting like a sage and I dont have a high schooler's perception of relegion. all that aside he's a fun character.

He was edgy for a reason and his character comes full circle by the end of the series.

>re-avaluate

mental midget criticizes the most intelligent character ever in tv history.

no surprise there.

This. Can't believe people are fooled this easily.

The back and forth between Rust's over the top, 2deep4u edgelord shtick and Marty's angry jock straightman role were great though. It's not that I like Rust in a vacuum, it's the interplay between the two very different, almost cartoonish characters that make for near perfect buddy-cop chemistry

So reddit cucked Cred Forums?

Everything he said was correct and everyone else was kidding themselves in disagreeing.

It's just his perspective was wrong. You have to pursue your own happiness even knowing that stuff and have some kind of suspension of disbelief or you'll live in perpetual suffering.

Because time is a flat circle

>I'm astonished at how cartoonish, tryhard, comically bad he is, and genuinely shocked when I retrospectively re-avaluate all the praise he got.
this is the gayest thing i've read here in a while

how can you have issues with him but not with woody "mongoloid" harrelson?

100%
Have you seen the state of this board?

>some people whose opinions I respect, including Cred Forums's

kys

The idea of someone getting his friends to play pretend in front of a camera and film it is the exact sort of idea a teenager would have, you don't watch tv and films... do you?

Have you maybe tried reading a book OP?

Edgy was cool in the 90's.

Woody's character is actually pretty realistic, though.

He sucks the first three episodes. I liked him a lot better when I thought of him as the guy who used to be Crash. He isn't supposed to be endearing anyway.

Characters that are literally me thread?

It was a meme you dip. Nobody was actually praising him for his deep philosophy, he was praised because him and his interactions with Marty were entertaining.

>Everything he said was correct
>"Humans were a mistake, we should all hold hands and walk into extinction"
Yeah no. I get the feeling a lot of people rewrite Rus' philosophy in their head, making him out to be somehow apathetic to human civilization rather than explicitly against its existence.

>destroy a retard pleb user
>he can't come up with a response so he avoids your post like a fat pussy

Is there honestly a better feeling?

I don't think we should exist, brah. Our intellect just gives us more capacity for suffering than every other animal.

Not yours though.

It's a guy that makes ads for beauty products, what do you expect?

what do you think the average IQ of this thread is?

Why don't you finish watching the series before you complain, you fucking faggot. Him being edgy is the point of his character arc.

And Marty turns to be right all the way.

I've felt like there are this silent agreement to not talk about how retarded Rust is, since McConaughey did such a good job with the character.
But, yes. We all know that he is written like a teenaged edge-lord.

>I'm astonished at how cartoonish, tryhard, comically bad

just like your thread op

How is Rust retarded?

Your first mistake was respecting Cred Forumsmblr's opinion, as a matter of fact, I think you may have a mental retardation of sorts

Rust? More like Bust

He sounds ridicule to you literally just because contrarianism and Cred Forums.
Existentialism is a very real and serious approach at life and a legitimate philosophy, probably the one that had most impact on XX century history.
Basically every important author of the last 70 years has in it some form of moral relativism and chaos theory. Even the most spiritual ones like Miller or Kerouac

And since now the times have finally caught up with that, Cred Forums HAS to go full circle and circlejerk about patriottism, faith, nationalism and cisracial traditional family, like it's not something completely irrelevant and factually superstructural.
But being the anonymous edgy kids it's not cool anymore, so whatever

No, mine too.

How ironic that you call him a tryhard character but can't actually formulate any arguments for why he is a bad character. No, describing him with different negative adjectives is not an argument.

This

Fuck you, OP

marty was based

Rust
>he was raised in the Alaskan wilderness and he was an undercover cop and his daughter died ;( and he does drugs just like me and he's a nihilist and he's into philosophy and he has insomnia and he's the best at interrogations and he keeps his cool always and he hates religion just like me :) and he's always right

Marty
>Just a regular cop who wants what is best for his family although this is at odds with his weakness to women. Understandably losses his cool after seeing some of the most heinous acts man can inflict upon another man. While he can be wrong it is only when any normal individual would be, but he is quick to right he mistakes.

Rustfags defend

He was supposed to be that way you dumb pleb, that's how the whole dynamic of those two characters (Rust and Marty) works. You're not supposed to tak his thoughts at face value, that's alluded in the story many times.
You can blame the autistic fedoras from reddi/tv/ for taking his philosophical ramblings seriously.

Rust is a fucking anime character.

He's a cliched character but MM owned that role.

A lot of TD season 2 was Rust dialogue given to other characters. That's why it was so painful, listening to Vince trying to play le conflicted gangster.

Cast MM as either Frank or Ray, and you automatically have a compelling spectacle.