What are some good werewolf films?

What are some good werewolf films?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RXxYZ4VsOV0
youtube.com/watch?v=quAr3wM4xwM
youtube.com/watch?v=u8lzvSbAnyw
youtube.com/watch?v=vm_myWY7uJA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Dog Soldiers is pretty good, and American Werewolf in London is a classic.

Hour of the Wolf
Dog Soldiers

Dunno, haven't seen many. I'd actually like to find out about more of them.

Wolf, Howling, the original Wolf Man

Scratch the first, I talked about it out of hearsay and after double checking, there don't appear to be any werewolves. I'm a credulous idiot.

Ginger Snaps is also supposed to be pretty good, but I haven't seen it and can't vouch for it from actual experience. I've only heard good things, though.

I second Dog Soldiers

An American Werewolf in London
and
An American Werewolf in Paris
Watch the former before the latter.

None

Company of Wolves - Beautiful fairytale movie that feels like a perfect live action Disney world in many ways, also brutal transformations
Ginger Snaps - Excellent "quirky" dark vibe, great Halloween movie
Late Phases - Similar atmosphere to Ginger Snaps and also very well written and acted
Dog Soldiers - Evil Dead 2 meets Night of the Living Dead with werewolves
Monster Squad - Great werewolf stuff in a great goofy but brutal take on the Universal monsters
Curse of the Werewolf - Hammer Horror version of the wolf man, lots darker and very cool
American WW in London - Don't quite love this one story wise but it's got great effects and lots of cool ideas
Howling - not that good but has better effects than AWWiL
Howling 2 - Really shitty but the director knows it and makes it into a joke, good shit
Howling 3 - Fucking insane, more crazy shit happens in the last 20 minutes than the ending of 2001
Howling 4 - Terrible, awful but has a great melting scene
Howling 5 - Super comfy murder mystery in a snowy castle, very 80s atmosphere in every way
Howling 6 - Interesting take on werewolves and vampires with the most depth out the entire series

horror-loving user here

Ginger Snaps
Silver Bullet
Dog Soldiers
Bad Moon
Late Phases - blind war vet in an assisted living community. His neighbor dies violently on his first night there and noone believes him when he thinks its a werewolf. He has until the next full moon to find out who it is and kill it. Movie is carried by the acting.
Wer - decent-ish movie with a good trailer

youtube.com/watch?v=RXxYZ4VsOV0

This.
Not quite about werewolves, but a good movie nevertheless. The beast's design was pretty good, although the CG was iffy at times.

American Werewolf in London

I got you OP.
youtube.com/watch?v=quAr3wM4xwM

I have yet to find a better Werewolf movie than Dog Soldiers. Hell its funny to pretend that GOTHAM's Alfred fought werewolves before working for the Waynes

When animals dream.

It really is the stand-out recommendation of the thread.

bullshit artsy 2deep4you movie

how did you watch so many horror sequels user, i usually stop at 2 or 3

Was The Wolfman with Hopkins really that bad?

It's literally let the right one if for werewolves my man.

lmao i watched that shitty movie, the werewolf looks like a bat

Yo
youtube.com/watch?v=u8lzvSbAnyw

They're all shit.

Wes Craven's Cursed is underrated.

I'm an autistic completionist, I will eventually watch the rest of the series too

i thought it was ok. i killed some time watching it one night. i liked the cast.

Good brutal kills, dumb story. Neat aesthetic, worth a watch for sure

Late Phases. Blind veteran in an old folks community vs. werewolves.

An American Werewolf in London is by far my favorite of the few I've watched. Dog Soldiers and Ginger Snaps are also good, though I'm not much of a fan of the transformation being permanent in Ginger Snaps.

Is the Wolf Man better than the 30s Dracula movie or about the same? I'm kind of hesitant to watch it because those movies don't really do anything for me.

To reiterate some here:

The Howling - worth the watch for Eddie Quist alone. Disturbing character and great transformations.

Silver Bullet - creepy antagonist, Gary Busey is awesome, and Corey Haim (RIP).

I loved the Universal monster movies as a kid and still think they have a neat atmosphere with the foggy moors type stuff but they have not aged well. Plus RKO destroyed universal horror with their Val Lewton films in the 40s, basically brought psychological horror to the mainstream and made the act of simply showing a guy in a monster costume (previously genuinely horrifying to audiences) just look stupid.

Dracula is not too good, Wolf Man is definitely better than it but even then it has its flaws. The Mummy is probably best of the first wave, same story as Dracula more or less but just way better done. The only other one I really like is The Creature Walks Among Us (black lagoon 3) which is a way better take on the monster than "me want girl, me kidnap girl" type shit. I recommend that one a lot, it's got a great monster rampage as well as a surprising amount of depth. Wolf Man is worth a look, and if you enjoy it might want to check out the sequels (Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man, etc)

youtube.com/watch?v=vm_myWY7uJA

werewaifus

Such a comfy film.

Wolf is worth a watch just for a weird Jack Nicholson performance.

The wolf was actually an armored lion

Thank fuck someone mentioned Hammer Horror's Curse Of The Werewolf.

Good taste.

I remember having high hopes for Jack Nicholson's WOLF when I was very young.

It turned out to be the most nauseating 90's movie ever, right down to the oh-so-chic-one-word title.

It's a good movie yes, but more because it deals with the process of transformation mentally instead of actually showing a werewolf killing things

My all time favorites are American werewolf in London, howl, the howling 2 and the Wolfman (old and new)

Silver Bullet was fucking stupid.

>Is the Wolf Man better than the 30s Dracula movie or about the same?
No. The Wolf Man is pretty lame. Dracula was far superior.

Underworld and Underworld: Evolution

American Werewolf in London is the most talked about because it's one of the few actually good werewolf movies. I like it, but it's flawed, it's not among my favorite horror films. The movie is rather short and there are strange tangents and diversions in the pacing of the story, which wastes time that's already limited. Special effects are truly the reason to see the film, but unfortunately we don't get to see too much of the wolf, and the death feels rushed. In the sequel you see lots of cgi wolf, which looks terrible. The romance is uninteresting and not very believable. Most of the acting is just ok, don't really feel a strong connection to anyone. But there is some really cool stuff, the thing with the ghosts haunting him and slowly rotting is a unique twist that heightens tension and makes you feel the characters madness and confusion. I'd definitely recommend if for nothing else than the nazi werewolf scene which is just bizarre. Other recommendations: Wolf, Monster Squad, Brotherhood of the Wolf, True Blood...really aren't too many movies in the genre compared to vampires.