youtu.be/FYwpt092O7U
youtu.be/ff2GeDvjgtQ
youtube.com/watch?v=HOFZSnz9J3s
youtu.be/A6tfljPS8kU
youtu.be/NmvNJiylUa0
youtube.com/watch?v=lxUQ_Tp77QQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thomas Newman is a favourite of mine.

He's exceedingly influential, has trained a ton of understudies, and genuinely has a lot of good soundtracks under his belt.

At the same time, he's also responsible for anything and everything you could dislike about modern OSTs.

bland generic background music.

name a Hans Zimmer tune you can whistle.

protip: you cant.

Main theme to interstellar.

The reason it's generic is because he pioneered the sound.

youtu.be/kpz8lpoLvrA

its ambient background noise, this barely even qualifies as a theme. sounds like a 12 year old playing 4 notes on a piano.

try again.

>It's only good if it's catchy

you can swap a zimmer soundtrack from one movie with another and nothing changes. his only soundtrack that sticks in peoples minds is the Lion King and thats because it was mainly written by Elton John.

Zimmer is the very definition of a hack.

youtube.com/watch?v=kHsQUGjC1NA

Rain Man.

He's not the best because there is no such thing, but he's definitely one of the best, as he brings unique takes to most of his projects, not the traditional John Williams sound even though they are about the same age.

I was absolutely blown away by the soundtrack and the atmosphere it created in Interstellar. Perfect match.

Why can his music be swapped with another?

Maybe because he defined the sound that everyone then copied?

He has an entire army of understudies at Remote Control Productions that he trained and collaborated with, and helped get them off their feet. That resulted in a million different composers copping the "Zimmer" style of music.

>forgettable wallpaper music is all my braincell can handle

>thinking just because i can appreciate one kind of music i can't appreciate the rest

>also playing the "too smart for x" card without any sarcasm whatsoever

Based Howard shore>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

LoTR is probably the greatest trilogy of film scores ever written.

Shame about The Hobbit.

pic related is best composer

youtube.com/watch?v=UmezUREFGp8

youtube.com/watch?v=Yczul_609Gg

The biggest pleb in this thread right here.

This.

go to bed hans

Zimzam's style dosen't lend itself to whistling, but I can easily sing Time, Launch, Beautiful Lie, and Superman, Lex Luthor and Wonder Woman's themes with dun dun dun noises.

Don't mind me. Just posting GOAT composer.

he was great as the detective in The Night Of

Name a better TV soundtrack than Lost.

The only acceptable answer is Battlestar Galactica.

youtube.com/watch?v=cHTv_oEfBow&t

youtube.com/watch?v=jSjI7gwuKtg

it's literally , physically impossible to make a better OST for these scenes

He's the only composer that is doing something really interesting and different right now.

He's not even fully musically literate. For fuck's sake he just dabbles around on keyboards and has real musicians write it down for him and orchestrate his stuff.

>implying the Last Samurai, Thin Red Line, Interstellar and BvS soundtracks are even remotely similar.

>this music that sounds good isn't really good because the guy who composed it can't read music very good

???

The fact that he doesn't fully orchestrate his stuff is what makes him important.

He does the vast majority of his work through synthesizers, which allows for quick editing, and that's what directors and producers like when it comes to smoothing out productions.

And it is rubbing off on other composers. The music in "The Girl on the Train" sounds so much like "Gone Girl". Danny Elfman did the soundtrack on that movie.

I'm gonna be honest, I don't hate his movie stuff, but a lot of it can get grating if you listen to it for too long.

He put out like, a three hour album for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and trying to listen to that in one go just will put you mentally in a weird place.

Pirates of the caribbean
you know why

that's jogi löw though

He makes movie OST? His vidya soundtracks are just kind of thete

For fuck's sake. I'm a BSG fan, but the soundtrack is lame as hell.

I can definitely see that being the case. I'm a big fan of NIN and his other music in general, and I've had trouble sitting through some of his soundtrack work, like the Quake and GWTDT soundtracks. But usually what happens is that, after a few tries, something ''clicks'' and then I'm loving it.

The best way I can describe his music is that every choice seems weird, but inevitable. Once you've listened you can't imagine it sounding any other.

What dude? Do you only remember All Along the Watchtower and the drums? BSG 2003 had a really great soundtrack.

youtu.be/69uMAYGMHhU

youtube.com/watch?v=HG-Js_rMEV4

youtube.com/watch?v=eON5O5MRz5M

youtu.be/FYwpt092O7U

youtu.be/ff2GeDvjgtQ

Fucking this. Zimmer is as pleb as film composers come. He has really fucked up the world of film composing with his influence. Steve Jablonsky is better than him.

>They are about the same age

There's literally a 30 year gap between their ages.

>Do you only remember
>a song written by somebody else
>and
>constantly, predictable drumming

Exactly, is that all you remember?

I linked you to a bunch of other stuff.

BSG's soundtrack is more than drumming. It's got a really wide range of instruments and themes.

His best is clearly Thin Red Line

youtube.com/watch?v=HOFZSnz9J3s

youtu.be/A6tfljPS8kU
youtu.be/NmvNJiylUa0

By the end of season 4 I'm pretty sure they had a whole orchestra, too.

>no ennio morricone
>no john williams
>no jerry goldsmith

You underage faggots better get the fuck out of here.

Lion King?

youtube.com/watch?v=lxUQ_Tp77QQ

That's a video game, but yeah, Jeremy Soule does good stuff.