I don't understand Hoth battle...

I don't understand Hoth battle. Did they just happen to have ships with wires that were an improvised tool when they realized their lasers were not powerful enough or did they already know how to effectively fight the Imperial walkers ? Also if their lasers don't match their armor how come they can just blast the walkers once they're down ? Makes no sens desu

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2013/02/battle-of-hoth/
stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Ground/Armour-SW.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

where did the AT-AT's even come from

This like I think they live on hoth and the noise woke up a nest of atats

Why didnt they drop the atats closer to the shield generator
They had quite a long walk!

I think there's some special kind of AT-AT dropship.

I might be wrong.

probably because they didnt want the transport ships shot down destroying the walker

wired.com/2013/02/battle-of-hoth/

post yfw the Walkers are vulnerable

He called them tow cables. He clearly improvised.

Snow speeders are shitty atmospheric craft, they cant handle space. They were woefully outmatched. The real question is why did the star destroyer send walking tanks instead of nuking the planet from orbit.

Yes, Lord Vader. I've reached the main power generators. The shield will be down in moments. You may start your landing.

the tanks were supposed to take out the shields that prevented orbital attacks dumdum

Vader wanted to capture Luke alive

Star Wars is just symbolic myths, legends and poetry in space

Hoth battle is just futuristic revision of David vs Goliath

this
also vader sensed luke was on the base and you see him do a ''ooooh so close'' reach out when the falcon zooms the fuck off just as he storms in (when actually it was leia he sensed all along)

>Did they just happen to have ships with wires that were an improvised tool when they realized their lasers were not powerful enough or did they already know how to effectively fight the Imperial walkers ?
Improvised tool. They were tow cables if I remember right.

>Also if their lasers don't match their armor how come they can just blast the walkers once they're down ?
When it falls down it crackles with energy and then the guy flies in and shoots it. I've got two theories:

1) The fall damaged it, weakening the armor to wear the lasers now work.

2) The lasers did nothing and it exploded because it was going to explode.

>The real question is why did the star destroyer send walking tanks instead of nuking the planet from orbit.
Veers mentions there was an energy shield protecting an area of one of the planets, and was strong enough to deflect any bombardment.

This. The AT-ATs got to get in there and destroy the energy shield generators so they can bomb the planet from orbit.

Im sure a fucking star destroyer can take care of a little barn with a dinky shield generator.

What is happening?

There is. Confirmed in the cartoon

Wow that article's a piece of shit.

The wires were improvised weapons. The AT-AT necks were weak points and were exposed when the walkers fell down. A ground force was used because the Rebel shield prevented orbital bombardment.

Vader wanted to capture Luke alive and would have ordered a ground force no matter what. The Imperials couldn't use TIEs or any repulsor craft vehicles because the rebel shield would disable them when they passed through (like what happened to the TradeFed tanks in Episode I) while the walkers wouldn't be affected.

I have nothing to add to the conversation, but am posting one of the most based imperial agents in Star Wars canon.

art

>like what happened to the TradeFed tanks in Episode I) while the walkers wouldn't be affected.
The only time the prequels and the OT actually form a coherent plot mechanism?

And he was an ISB operative no less.

The imperials have a drop ship shaped like a toaster.

General Walter Donovan got it done.

You could tell he was Vader's favorite

They couldn't drop them closer to the shield generator because of the shield the shield generator was generating. They had to land the AT-ATs outside the shield. It's why Vader's ship couldn't land until the shield was down. It's also why the imperials got no support from the entire fleet in orbit.

How much you want to bet that Harry Osbourne's secretary comes up with the idea to use cables to trip the at-at's in the new movie coming out? They'll have some dude be there watching it happen in awe and then at the end be told he's being stationed at hoth.

Dude, it's the future.

but you're wrong retardo

>a far time ago in a galaxy long long away
>the future
What a friggin braindead imbecilic moron of retardedly stupid idiotic levels

He's showing what should be CG and what should be practical.

>The real question is why did the star destroyer send walking tanks instead of nuking the planet from orbit.

They had a planetary shield. This was a major part of the story.

No, it can't. Star Destroyers can't fire through planetary shields. If they could, the Empire would have never built the Death Star.

A lot of the basic rules about technology (lightsabers, blasters, hyperspace) stay pretty consistent throughout both trilogies.

>Custom reverse two-tone 1911
Maximum hnnnnggg

Shame we never got to see his death on Hoth.

Because a big part of movies is weapons are inferior to armor.

In real life, armor is playing second fiddle to some weapon that some major government has.

More nitpicking: Tanks or Imperial Walkers would be very vulnerable to soft patches hidden in the terrain where they would fall in and become trapped. The rebels would know this and have prepared for Walker attacks.

There would be cannons that could burn through any shield or armor that came at the rebel base. If their energy source can shield a planet from Star Destroyers, it can produce enough energy to kill Walkers. They would have gun emplacements designed to blow up heavy armor coming at the base.

It would have been very believable if there had been more Walkers than they rebels had energy output to handle. That would really drive home the whole Vast Power of the Empire theme. You have to do a whole lot more than take out a few Walkers or Star Bases to take on the Empire.

Star Wars being a Flick Series and all, the budget people probably didn't want to animate all that. It costs a lot of money.

Using the original storyboard as a coloring book.

What?

CG is the key

Fucking rebels love suicide runs.

Why don't they just put those shield generators on ships and they'd be invincible

I'm unclear on your confusion and am drunk posting right now.

Do you have a specific question?

I'm just another geek that loved the Original Trilogy and was mildly offended and bored by the Prequels and thought TFA was a shameless rip off of A New Hope.

Vader wanted to capture Luke alive and the ground force was deployed to take out the shields that prevented orbital bombardment retard

Walking mechs in any setting will never be anything but impractical garbage, but snow and ice terrain seems like an especially poor environment for such a vehicle. The Empire would have been better off deploying lower, sturdier, more conventional (but still ludicrous and sci-fiey) tanks, like a shit load of rocket-boosted nuclear Shagohods.

They were created decades later by videogames, but shit like the TIE mauler would have been great in the snow.

What were the wires for, then?

They're larva Star Destroyers that are hatched from eggs and first come out as AT-STs. They don't grow the 2nd set of legs for a few months.

Careful, Disney might just use that idea. They could call it living metal. It would still be a better idea than anything Lucas came up with in the Prequels.

Maester Pycelle was quite a looker back in his days in space.

Towing stuff.

>AT-ATs

You mean giant walking thingies?

Probably because there was some sort of shield generator preventing them from doing so.

What do you think those sphere things on the star destroyers are?

Ships do have shield generators, but they're weaker because of various technicalities like size limitations, the fact that a ship consumes energy for other purposes too, etc.

The Walkers were specifically used to intimidate and weren't meant for strong and organized opposing forces.

Yeah, they tried that.

You know what else is intimidating ? Something that's effective against strong and organized opposing forces.

That costs a lot to build and probably wouldn't intimidate as much as a fucking huge metal monster coming your way, even if it was actually more effective.

>inb4 doesn't an AT-AT cost a lot to build
Yes, but you only need one of those to scare the shit out of a planet with some guerilla shits fighting agaisn't them.
See the Star Destroyers for example. Not really effective, there aren't a lot, but they are scary as hell.

>Yes, but you only need one of those to scare the shit out of a planet with some guerilla shits fighting agaisn't them.

You mean like the Ewoks ?

Straight up bullshit. Star Destroyers are terrifying in combat. So are walkers.

I think the Rebels knew that if it came to Walkers attacking, the jib was up and the base would need to be abandoned with only a token force of light infantry and speeders left behind to delay the inevitable.

AT-AT's were supposed to represent German Tiger tanks overrunning Soviet infantry positions. Pretty much everything combat related in the first two films is WWII related.

they weren't on hoth very long were they? from what i remember they were moving almost constantly from planet to planet trying to stay a step ahead of the empire, not likely to have time to dig giant pits to trap walkers. they were more focused on staying mobile than standing and fighting.

But they aren't trying to scare the shit out of a planet, they are trying to wipe out an enemy base on an empty snowball.

>Walking mechs in any setting will never be anything but impractical garbage
Thats absolutely true, but mechs are too fucking cool to not find some dipshit reason to shoe horn them into things.

You know they weren't on Hoth very long simply because they were still modifying their equipment to work on Hoth. If the Rebel base there had been established then all those things would be up and running and not a "still trying to get this to work" situation.

Yes, but the Rebel shield imposed multiple restrictions on just what kind of units the Empire could field. Most of their gear just straight up would not work while the shield was up and taking the time to move things slowly through the shield would take too long. Blame Ozzel for taking away the Empire's ability to properly set up shop.

You can read here: stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tech/Ground/Armour-SW.html about the AT-AT and see how it's basically a walking compromise that ended up being the best thing for the job.

>the cartoon
please just fucking kill yourself or remove yourself to the retard manchild containment board at

member using action figures to recreate the hoth battle in the snow?

i member

>le prequel hate reddit meme
you're a fucking moron

whoa whoa, cool it man, don't be tempted by the dark side

The OT concept artists were just more used to architecture and ship design than artillery design. And the battle of Hoth was just poorly directed.

PT artillery is way more cool looking and practical anyway.

I have some questions for everyone.

In the OT of ST, do you prefer the AT-AT or the AT-ST?

How do you R8 BB8 & IG-88?

Which -Wing is King?

Is empire at war still canon?

They had a large ion cannon to fire into orbit and smaller weapons for base defense, an at-at destroys one during its advance. They were there long enough to have a well established base but it also had to be disposable since they were on the run and could bug out at a moments notice.

The Empire is a society with limitless energy, top of line technology, and endless resources. The loss of a walker is tallied as the loss of the two men in the cockpit and fuck the rest. In the time it took to blow the ATAT up some robots on a factory on another planet finished a hundred more. The population of humans is so high that 1,000 new recruits were brought in to replace the 2 men lost.

Impractical? Fuck practicality. Practicality is a word that no longer has relevance to the Empire. They have it all. They know they have it all. They can build whatever the fuck they want and what they want is larger than life.

It's only once you get away from the empire that resources start to appear finite, and necessity driven economies show up. I thought that was one of the points of Star Wars was that the Empire hoarded everything for themselves and everyone else had to struggle for a living.

>See the Star Destroyers for example. Not really effective

They were incredibly effective. Before the Death Star the Emperor used them to commit genocide a bunch of times.