Criterion Collection 50% Off Sale

criterion.com/sale

I just got The Seventh Seal, and Fanny and Alexander

50% Off Sale! Oh boy with shipping it'll only be $30 a movie!

You ungrateful fuck!

>Alexander
Kek
Glad Im not the only faggot who likes that shit

>Fanny and Alexander
i wasnt gonna get anything-and wait to see what Filmstruck offers this week, but F&A Box is something worth having physically it looks like, think ill have to get it. Though what purpose does the film version serve, you know? I saw it first, and loved it, but have since seen the tv version a couple times, and couldnt lose the larger narrative now.

The newish Whit Stillman box is terrific, the audio commentaries with Whit and Chris E and others are really comfy.

>most titles ~40% off year-round on Amazon
>without sales tax and shipping, makes costs about the same as their flash sales
meh

plus, the Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion sale is going to be here in about a month

>plus, the Barnes & Noble 50% off Criterion sale is going to be here in about a month

Why is that better? Not memeing, curious.

who /marathoningabunchofcriteironfilmbeforetheyleavehulu/ here

RELEASE LE SAMOURAI CRITERION YOU FUCKERS

Digipacks won't be damaged in the mail. B&N members get an additional 10% off

srsly..who gives a fuck about sales when u can get anything for free.

Not me because i'm moving over to Filmstruck, but I am trying to think if it's worth keeping for older tv shows like Star Trek, the Shield, some random stuff. Otherwise dropping.

it's not really

just the option to a store and picking it up in person without paying and waiting for shipping (and inspecting the packaging for bends or cracks for the ultra-autists out there)

Masters of Cinema > Criterion

Every time

>tfw no region-free blu-ray player

regardless, they are both great

Just crack it you dweeb

some MoCs are region-free
also

>$40 for one bluray

Holy shit. What the fuck is this? I was ready to lay down some cash for some spanish cinema, but jesus.

R8
H8
MASTURB8

What a waste of a gift-card. You should get a Bergman, a Kurosawa, and a Malick.

>can't use the code for a pre-order of Lone Wolf & Cub collection

Well shit. I could get the Zatoichi collection for $100. Sure as hell beats paying $200 for it. Don't know if I want to spend any money thought now though.

I got all the Kurosawa and Malick they have to offer.

Get Bergman, Fellini, Bresson.

it's cost of higher quality transfers, sourcing the best available film elements and restorations, and producing or acquiring the rights to a ton of supplementary material, producing better packaging, and trying to make a profit selling (relatively) niche films on blu-ray that won't even sell 1/50th the amount of units mainstream blockbuster releases do

t. Criterion shill

Where the FUCK do you put the code in? Two different screens are telling me to do it on the other, in the cart and at checkout!

what are your favorite Bergman films?

boyhood is the only decent pick, I wouldn't have chosen it anyway. The other two are decent but a total waste of the gift card bro just saying

>boyhood

everything else is great though

Put it in both and get 100% off

free shipping for orders of $50 so if you wanted to get at least 3 you are getting a better deal than amazon

Bresson is something I've put off from buying because the Blu-Ray selection is a bit thin. I've seen all of them multiple times though.
I've never seen a Fellini film though, I should have done
that.
I think Blood Simple was my "shittiest" pick, but I've heard good things.

+2
haven't seen Boyhood

great choices, user.
btw, are you blind buying or do you already like those movies? i use to blind buy them, which occasionally led to owning some mediocre films 2bh

Winter Light, Seventh Seal, Persona. I haven't seen a lot of them though, he's got like 50+. If you haven't seen any of his, watch Seventh Seal. I'd recommend Tarkovsky, too, but some of his movies are legally uploaded on Youtube in decent quality (Stalker looks better than the recent Criterion release, lol).

Thinking about this

I have the Cassavetes, it's great. He's an inspiring character.

I'm just glad there's finally some proper movie talk on Cred Forums. Any of those picks are better than 95% of the films people usually discuss on here (whenever films are talked about at all). I wish they would make /film/, even r/truefilm is a teenager filled shithole.

I would if Hulu didn't only have dated transfers with the white levels way out of whack.

Literally all I want out of Filmstruck is for them to have the most up to date HD versions of films. Netflix currently has a version of Once Upon a Time in the West that looks to be from the oldest dvd transfer available despite a half dozen superior releases. I see the same on Hulu and HBOgo more often than not

im gonna get boyhood!!

thanks

I've kind of grown out of Del Toro, I think he could be greater than he is. Great pick on the Cassavettes collection.

I love Boyhood and McCabe and Miss Miller.
I've had the god awful DVD transfer of McCabe for a while now. It's really off putting, but I've put up with it. I'm just glad there's something better out now.
Blood Simple is a blind buy.

Get it, and Seconds. Two of the most re-watchable in my personal collection.

I can only afford to get one movie and I was going to get a Kurosawa film. I'm torn between The Hidden Fortress, Seven Samurai, High and Low, and Kugemusha. Which should I get?

I lent my copy of The Devil's Backbone to a friend and I'm not sure I'll ever see it again so it was a good excuse to re-up on that film specifically. I also watch Pan's about once a year. I've never seen Cronos though.

Zerkalo is great, I love his diploma film Violin and Steamroller, have you seen it yet? It is my personal favourite, although it wasn't quite as Tarkovsky-an as his post-Ivan's Childhood films.

High and Low is GOAT, fucking amazing, BUY IT NOW WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR FAGGOT

Why do you collect soon to be obsolete physical media?
My friends father had a bedroom, and I mean a bedroom, worth of vhs tapes. Stacks upon stacks five feet high. Not just cheap shit either, but collector's / limited editions.
What's the point? You will live to see this media be worthless.

Seconded. I watched it twice in the same week after finally checking it out. I recommend it to everyone now.

High and Low is one of the most masterful movies I've ever seen, but if you want your money's worth get Seven Samurai. It has literal hours of extras to watch plus two commentary tracks. The movie is also OK from what I heard...

have you seen them? buy the one you like the most obv

My collection is mostly criterion, cause I like bonus features and commentaries and supporting movies I like

I haven't seen it, but it's on my list now

i like collecting copies of things i like
they look good on a shelf and many come with interesting booklets, not to mention the extras on disc that are mostly unavailable through torrents or whatever (though Criterion does put a few of them up on their web site)

High and Low it is. I just had a pretty decent paycheck, I might as well throw Seven Samurai in with it. Thanks for the input guys.

fanny and alexander fucking RULES

fuck yeah

I picked up Fantastic Planet and McCabe and Mrs. Miller on BD.

h-how did I do?

>House
a meme film if there ever was one

Kung Fu is muh waifu tho

Is Criterion going to get the rest of the Lynch films? Lost Highway and Wild at Heart still don't have blu ray releases

Wild at Heart has one from Twilight Time, but I think it may be out of print

whats so special about criterion? cheaper on amazon desu

muh packaging
muh special features

most of their films you can only get from them

see even though that post is about why Criterion blu-ray's MSRP is usually ~40 USD, those points still apply

sorry for your suffering

I'm just going to hold off until November for the B&N sale. Anyone got any recommendations? I am thinking about picking up Dekalog, Three colors trilogy, Blood Simple, and High and Low. I already own like 20 criterion films.

I bought the Guillermo Del Taco collection :)

Recently I've had a crisis of faith in physical media. I own around 400 movies around 30 of which are criterion and it has become both inconvenient to display and financially a burden. I've started pirating and regret nothing. Initially, I had pirated exceedingly and felt guilt. After experiencing the past 5 years clean, I realised it wasn't worth it. Waiting around and buying films that end up being subpar. My justification was to create the ideal collection. The result of this was piles of movies that could have been good that just weren't. How do you guys justify buying physical media?

I too was bummed at the deal not applying to that preorder.

Thoughts on mine? Holding out for B&N so not splurging too much.

Shame it doesn't have his best films.

I only buy films I really like, and know I will rewatch eventually.

I'm debating on Merry Christmas Mister Lawrence because I've never seen it and Seven Samurai I've already seen.

What do? I'm poor at the moment honestly shouldn't spend.

dont blind buy and only cop films you already like? with tons of streaming and downloading options (legal or otherwise), there's no reason to take a chance on a film being a dud or not

after that, it's just a collecting hobby. the same reasons anyone collects anything applies.

I personally love Mr. Lawrence, but the first time I saw it I wasn't as taken in by it and a lot of people don't seem to be either. Maybe not a great blind buy

Yeah I'm kinda in a Bowie mood have yet to watch Labyrinth so maybe I'm just gonna save for another day.

Seven Samurai is one of their best releases, tons of extras.

Debate for last one so far I think I'm Solaris and The Graduate
can't decide between
The Player
A Man Escaped
House
A Mallick (but probably Badlands or The Thin Red Line)
A Von Trier
Dazed and Confused
Punch Drunk Love
Tokyo Story
Being John Malkovich
Easy Rider
halp Cred Forums

I would get Days Of Heaven if you don't already own it.

The Graduate is always watchable and fappable imo.

if I was you, Tokyo Story or The Thin Red Line