Honest question: why the FUCK did people hate this so much? The fact this has a 28/100 metascore pisses me off so much...

Honest question: why the FUCK did people hate this so much? The fact this has a 28/100 metascore pisses me off so much...

But then again, shit like Ghostbusters has fucking 60/100 so whatever, it's clearly bullshit.

But seriously, 'Fire Walk With Me' is an amazing film - it became my second favourite film of all time just after one single viewing... and that says a lot.

Other urls found in this thread:

vimeo.com/90322995
youtube.com/watch?v=l8ZRHjC5wGI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

it wasn't appreciated at the time. these days you find more people that really like it

i doubt twin peaks hate it, nor lynch fans, i certainly dont and i havent heard from anyone who disliked it.

I love it so much, I really wasn't expecting it to be my favourite from Lynch, but it is (before it was Lost Highway).

>Take the worst elements of the show, put it in movie form
>Make a prequel when everyone wanted a sequel
>Fill it with the usual Lynch nonsense

Geez I wonder why people don't like it.

I said "DID" hate this, as in, it had terrible reviews and reception at the time... which it really did, go do some research. I'm glad that people are appreciating it more nowadays at least.

>"Worst elements" ???
Are you actually serious? I'm not even meme-ing right now - but you sound like a fucking pleb. Clearly you're not a fan of Lynch's work so why the fuck would you come to this thread?

>Answers nothing
>Adds 100 more questions
>Changes lighthearted characters to be edgy murderers

so basically all the things his fans like about him? the things that made him a famous director?

It was hard for me to enjoy it.
It just seemed to take out the magic and intrigue that she show created for this story.
The way the movie doesn't really line up with the first episode irks me
The 'another place' scenes seemed clunky and silly compared to the show.
A lot of the time, not seeing certain horrors makes them scarier than actually seeing them, I just felt this movie wasn't necessary and wasn't that well done.

>worst elements of the show
nadine/general horn weren't even in it
>Make a prequel when everyone wanted a sequel
why would lynch ever cater to audience expectations
his other works are insanely well regarded though, even inland empire

I liked it more than the series and I love the series. I loved how dark it was, which were my favorite parts of the show.

I think the hate has gone done so much since it premier honestly.

Also you have to remember back then I think people were sick of TPs and wanted 'closure' some kind of closure for the series but the movie was the exact opposite of that.

I think FWWM is a great film once you just accept its a character study instead your usual Twin Peaks episode.

I really should've elaborated more, but your points are unbelievably dumb. Making what you want to make instead of catering to a majority signifies Lynch's artistic integrity as an auteur. Just because you were expecting a sequel and the same tone as the show doesn't mean the film is bad, it achieves pretty much everything it aims for.

Are you referring to Bobby? If so, you're wrong. Apart from him, I don't remember any other "edgy murderers" that didn't make sense or whatever.

Fucking hell... I knew a post like this would bring out some edgy contrarians shitting on something for the sake of shitting on it.

Exactly, I love his style so much, so this film was a real treat for me.

Fair enough I guess, I personally loved it and would disagree with a lot of the points you made - the horror especially was much more effective for me in the film.

>General Horn
Take that back right now.

>The way the movie doesn't really line up with the first episode irks me
the film shows how time is essentially nonlinear in the black lodge. FWWM should be thought of as laura's journey to the black lodge whereas the show is dale's journey, both characters being arguably the biggest victims of twin peaks

>stream this on putlocker
>completely incoherent plot
>get to the end credits
>realize it was the outtakes
>spent an hour and a half watching outtakes of a movie I haven't seen
>still haven't seen the actual movie

It's because it was a Lynch film and not a Twin Peaks film. You realize that most Twin Peaks fans are not Lynch fans, Twin Peaks was much more light hearted and mild compared to Lynch's best movies, obviously because he had to tone it down for TV. I was a Lynch fan first before even watching the show, so I like this movie. I can understand why it might turn people off though, it's much darker than the show.

I liked the show mainly for the humor and the small amount of humor in the movie failed miserably leaving nothing but a pile of boring dogshit. I'm not a lynch fag obviously

Great points, but honestly I loved General Horn and those goofy scenes with Nadine were fucking hilarious imo.

I have pretty much the same perspective, I thought to myself "okay, the film can't possibly surpass the show", but to my surprise, it immensely exceeded my expectations.

Agreed, it just bothers me and is quite unfortunate really because I can imagine how it made my cute little David feel at the time :(

kek

This is probably the smartest and most logical way to look at it, 100% agreed. Both perspectives are explored amazingly.

That's true, I was a Lynch fan and saw most of his films before I started watching Twin Peaks and then FWWM, I saw Inland Empire right before and loved it so that alone says a lot I think.

Fuck off you tasteless pleb.

oldfag here. the only people who hated it at the time were the (bought) msm movie critics.

Interesting, how old were you when the film was released - if you don't mind me asking? Also, did you get the chance to see this masterpiece at the cinema? If yes, I am jealous as fuck.

Also, "oldfag" made me kek for some reason.

Maybe I was a little too harsh, but someone calling my second favourite film "a pile of boring dogshit" triggered me quite a bit. You don't have to shit on it just because it didn't cater to your expectations.

Why do normies always do that, btw?

Yeah, I saw all his 'weird' films before watching the show too and Inland Empire is my favorite. I guess it's just adapting to his style, after something like Inland Empire, you watch Eraserhead or FWWM again and it's pretty easy to figure out. Since most people weren't used to 100% unrestrained Lynch, it probably ostracized them a bit.

vimeo.com/90322995
Love this film. The first half hour is just a big fuck you to the fans of the show though.

>Why do normies always do that, btw?

Because when you're simple minded something that you dislike warrants a knee-jerk, hyperbolic response.

Because some found the Chris Isaak firdt act dull and boring

I have a friend who hates Blue Velvet yet to me that is Lynch's best film.

Only because Kyle Maclachlan didn't want to do it.

>someone calling my second favourite film "a pile of boring dogshit" triggered me quite a bit.
you new? welcome aboard

Literally retarded.

This is very true, Blue Velvet was the first film I saw by him and I didn't know what to think, then I watched Mulholland Drive - pretty much same reaction. Then I watched Eraserhead and fell in love with his style and his films, watching Inland Empire semi-recently and loving it after my first viewing made me go on a Lynch marathon and essentially appreciating all of his films even more. It's safe to say his my favourite director, I always said he was "one of" my favourites, but this year solidified him as my absolute favourite.

>inb4 "baby's first surrealism experience"
>inb4 "ha ha go watch Luis Buñuel u pleb"
>inb4 "wow I bet u think you're a kino connoisseur"

Honestly I could talk about many directors and their films for hours, but none of them have had an impact on me like Lynch's films have.

18 and yes saw this at the cinema (packed out btw).
Another "interesting" anecdote was that I wanted to rent this when it came out on vhs but had to wait 3 weeks to see it, due to a waiting list (granted, I lived in a really small town... but still).

Am I the only one who hopes Lynch fucks the fan base of Twin Peaks with his season 3 of the show?

I feel like Anno did that with his new Godzilla

>only 10 minutes of screen time for Godzilla when he easily could have added a couple extra scenes to help with the flow of the movie

Mfw you will never be a director and piss off so many people by giving them content that they did not pay to see.

Inland Empire is a masterpiece of cinema

Maybe if it came not long after season 2, but at this point Twin Peaks fans are Lynch fans and will love whatever he does no matter what.

I liked it, it felt out of place at first but it wasn't distracting afterwards or boring in any way. Just a nice little setup for the plot.

Yeah, that's true. It's quite annoying how many idiots are out there.

Just like FWWM and Inland Empire, it's an underrated one.

Yeah I read about that on IMDb, quite a shame, I thought he would've been stoked to continue his role. I honestly don't get what was going through his head at the time, his role as the agent is the most memorable thing he's done in his entire career.

kek

Nice, honestly I wish I had the chance to see this film at the cinema, if I ever become a richfag I'll rent out a cinema to go and see it (apparently you can do that and watch any film for like £250). Oh man, renting things! I'm only 19 so I remember renting stuff when I was like 5, but damn, I'm feeling very nostalgic vibes right now.

Yeah well all Japan Godzilla fans loved the new one but its some Americans that I was reading their comments on youtube at how angry they were that 90% of the movie was board room meetings.

How hilarious

Based Bowie couldn't save it on release.
Damn shame he went so soon, Jeffries was coming back in Season 3.
Did you even see Anno's Godzilla? Way more than 10 minutes of screentime.

This desu.
If Lynch puts the effort in and it comes from the same creative place as most of his films most people will like it whether it's what they expect, myself included.

Forgot my image.

>Am I the only one who hopes Lynch fucks the fan base of Twin Peaks with his season 3 of the show?

I'm pretty sure that's the expectation.

I mean, you didn't exactly watch Twin Peaks and expect not to get fucked.

he's* - HE'S my favourite director, not "his". I feel retarded for typing that, but then again, it is almost half past 4 AM where I live.

It was another 3 hour film that didn't feel like it was 3 hours at all to me. The thing I loved about it the most was probably just how unsettled it made me feel, probably the best attempt at making a "nightmare-ish" atmosphere in a film. What do you think makes it a "masterpiece" though?

Anno's Godzilla is a Lynch film in disguise.

>that ending with no sound at all and the creepy plot twist
>how Godzilla looks in his second form
Anno and Lynch ought to team up

Not him but I agree that it doesn't feel like 3 hours, every time I watch it seems like it's over too soon.

For fuck's sake, why is this slowly turning into a Godzilla thread...

I think he will... in the sense that (I'm guessing) most people probably expect this to be a "Return to Twin Peaks".
My guess is that the show will be more like the first part of FWM, and the series will only pass through the town sporadically.

>it became my second favourite film of all time just after one single viewing... and that says a lot.

That doesn't say anything other than the fact that you're obnoxious

FWWM is pretty good though

Twin Peaks season 2 finale was the greatest fan service thing he ever did though

I suppose he knew that this show was gonna be conned and so went as wild as he could

>movie starts, oh boy gonna finally get to enjoy coffee meme in film and television format
>Plane lands and some woman dances secret code to an investigator
>god damnit, this is going to be rough
>David Bowie for 30 seconds out of nowhere
>please no
>Bob Ghost starts doing shenanigans, getting all up in people's business
>Guess I should have gone with godzilla instead mfw

Well, no. If you knew me, you'd know it says a lot. I have a list of my top 100 favourite films and I usually update it when I've seen a film more than three times and it still has an impact on me. One viewing, and making it to the second spot out of 100 films, says quite a fucking lot.

Yeah, it's pretty damn great, might make an Inland Empire thread in a few days.

>David Lynch Duran Duran concert
>Flashing lights throughout the entire thing
>random laughing girl appears out of nowhere
>exploding plane gifs

Been trying to get into Lynch.
Recently I watched Mulholland Drive and I'm still a bit lost, but having so many possible theories is quite refreshing for me.
I was going to watch Inland Empire next, is it worth it?

I'd say watch Blue Velvet or Wild At Heart next, try to leave Inland Empire for last or when you're more accustomed to his style.

Alright, I'll give them a try user. What about Twin Peaks?

Forgot to include Lost Highway with those three also. I watched Inland Empire just before watching the entire Twin Peaks series and then the film, so I guess you could do what I did or the other way around, either leave FWWM or Inland Empire for last - as they are his most divisive works as far as I'm aware (and the most underrated imo).

Fans wanted closure to the TV series.

Lynch gave them a film that was everything they already knew, in a format that let him go into graphic detail about Laura being raped by a demon who used her father as a vessal to engage in child rape.

Shit that Lynch couldn't get on the air on network TV in 1991-1992 but could in a movie.

It isn't as good as the TV show or any of Lynch's other films. So there ya go.

I know this is just an opinion... but it's wrong on so many levels. I can understand that some people wanted the same tone the show had, but it's quite foolish. I think the dark atmosphere fit the plot of the film very well, if it had goofy scenes like the show it would be distracting - they fit in the show well because it could feature a lot more stuff and not feel out of place.

FWWM only got retroactively considered good for two reasons:

1. FWWM basically was where Lynch basically beta tested tropes and gimmicks he later did much much better via Lost Highway, Mullholland Drive, etc years later

2. Newbie Twin Peaks who watched FWWM without the proper context of when it came out and as such, liked the film since they didn't have the baggage OG fans of Twin Peaks had when it came out

Given that Lynch is doing Twin Peaks explicitly because he can't get financing for any new movie (too proud to do a microbudget film, too out there to be trusted with a blockbuster film). So yeah, he's going to fuck with people, especially since he's most likely going to have card blanche to do whatever the fuck he wants

>Show ends on a cliffhanger
>Make a movie that's a prequel and just tells us what we already know
>Wonder why it was poorly received during a period of mourning

>cliffhanger
lol, you're dumb.

Twin Peaks season 2.5 was pretty comfy

youtube.com/watch?v=l8ZRHjC5wGI

I really liked the first 1/2 hour. It's like a fucked up version of the pilot where everything quirky is creepy instead.

They should have cut everything with Bowie and Agent Cooper, though.

>and this deer head
This is the best shit