Mulholland Drive

Was anyone disappointed by this?

Not that I thought it was a bad film, I actually really liked it, but I had heard that Lynch tends to make very violent and dark films, but the film isn't like that at all. There was minimal violence and whilst it does get dark towards the end, that's only the last 30 minutes.

There is some suspense during the film - the soundtrack is fantastic, I absolutely loved the opening - but again there really isn't much of it, I think there was more suspense waiting for the suspense.

Having watched Eraserhead and Twin Peaks, I expected there to be black comedy moments, and they didn't disappoint. I was just surprised by how little it resembled the film I pictured, not only form what I'd been told about Lynch, but even the box describes it as a 'dark psycho-sexual thriller'.

It had a decent enough lesbian scene. Who cares about the rest.

They graced us with two of them.

During the opening scene I thought Rita was one of the best looking women I've ever seen.

Is that why it is rated so highly by critics?

Watch Lost Highway. It's the edgy 90's version of this movie (also by Lynch) and in my opinion it's superior.

I really want to, Lost Highway is a great title haha. I read that some reviewer 'forgave' Lynch for making Lost Highway, by making MD though.
Are they actually similar to each other?

I've been wanting to watch Blue Velvet for years, and I might get a chance to watch it in the cinema in a few months, so I'm looking forward to that.

LH and MD are both really similar in approach, but not narratively or thematically.

I'll definitely give it a try then.

I've seen people say this was really scary, I feel like I missed something. It wasn't even much of a jump scare.

>I read that some reviewer 'forgave' Lynch for making Lost Highway
He's a pleb though

I jumped out of my fucking skin, even though I could feel it coming for the ~20 seconds you're pulling in on it.

Yeah, you're really cool user.

name a comfier film

You don't need to tell me.

I have to say, 'comfy' was not what went through my mind when I was watching it.

fuck you

Why has Laura Harring not gone on to do much? Compare what she's done to Naomi Watts.

Mulholland takes multiple viewings, OP.

Don't dwell on it for now. Just let it be for a while and then revisit it. I promise you it will be a very different experience in the 2nd and 3rd viewings.

Is it really that different the second time?

I'll rewatch it in a while then, I can't do it soon anyway.

I was, I felt that the first 45-60 minutes of the movie were really rad, seemed like it was gonna be pulp fiction but with some kinda cool twist like everyone's dreams are coming real, but what it ended up being is that the whole story was the dream of a girl who seemingly dies at the end of the movie, which was pretty unsatisfying, although once finding out its all a dream, I really appreciate the things david did to make it seem like a dream, all the wierd random little things like pouring paint on her jewelry, or that dude and his coffee

I remember seeing this shit with my gf back in the day at the movies, and the only reason we didn't walk out is we were laughing at the unintentional comedy and wanted to see how it ended, we shoulda just walked out but goddamn it was funny

Have you seen fire walk with me?

I think so. A lot of the challenge in watching Lynch is that you have to watch his movies in a very different way than you are accustomed to watching most movies. It helps a ton to watch his stuff a second and third time without any of the expectations that tend to adulterate the experience of a first viewing. Its cliche, but you really need to be able to just let his movies be what they are and just purely experience them rather than actively watch them, and THEN, without any conscientious effort on your part, the big realizations/connections/appreciation comes to you. Especially true of his more cerebral stuff like Inland Empire.

No, it's not similar is it? I've been meaning to watch it, I finished Twin Peaks a few months ago but haven't had the time to watch it.

Nice trips

I've heard that, but I'm struggling to think what would change so drastically in this film, after knowing how it ends. Maybe I'll be surprised when I actually watch it again.

Not really related, but what about Eraserhead? I was tempted to watch the directors commentary for my second viewing, is that worth doing or should I just watch it normally again?

Fire Walk With Me is really dark, and full of classic Lynch. Definitely check it out along with deleted scenes.

No right or wrong way to watch it. Do as you please. I think you're just going to find that a lot of what Lynch does it explore the way the mind kind of just does what it does and we don't really have much control over it. If you overthink it you'll make it harder for yourself to see that. It's almost like practicing meditation. Try to just be in the moment and let it happen.

I will. It's weird to think that's the case though, Twin Peaks was never quite like how I've heard FWWM described. I wonder if everyone goes on about how dark Twin Peaks is because of the film rather than the show.

Yeah, you might enjoy Lost Highway then, it's darker, colder and more violent. Blue Velvet is difficult, you have to enjoy the late 80s aesthetic, similar to twin peaks. I don't recommend Inland Empire as it's really suspenseful but it drags on for too long. Fire Walk With me was awful, I hated it as a Twin Peaks fan but if you don't know TP and are looking for a film with a dreary feel that lasts really long I recommend it

kek

Show had it's moments. The first season was a perfect mix of Lynch surreal stuff and soap opera. Second season went overboard on soap opera elements, but the ending alone reedemed it.

I have a hard time believing anyone could truly understand the movie having only seen it once. You may think you do, or maybe you went straight to the internet to google an explanation, but there's a reason Lynch included a list of eight clues to interpreting the ending with the DVD release.

for me it became boring after the killer was revealed, that mystique that made me fall in love with the show was gone, the lodge stuff couldn't really replace anything. But I still enjoyed the campy humour so it wasn't that bad.
I don't think you have to understand it logically, it's fun taking the plot apart but I mostly enjoy it for the atmosphere which is more important to me than the plot

Civil War Horne was top tier.

Was watching this film because I was said that it was essential core thriller, but then that masturbating scene comes of the nowhere.

It was really uncomfortable because I was watching with my sister and mom. Besides that movie was ok, not great like people were saying, the only thing I didn't understand was that random gay cowboy and why did he wanted to frame the producer.

I wouldn't even say Mulholland Drive was disappointing because it lacked those things, it's more I had been led to believe it would have them. If Lost Highway has them then great, I shouldn't be disappointed for that reason at least. That's interesting, I presumed Blue Velvet was going to be a very dark/shocking film, you think it's similar to Twin Peaks?

I've heard nothing positive really about Inland Empire. I'll still watch it at some stage, but I've got a lot more films to watch before I bother with it.

I like the show, I just think people going on about how the show is so dark are really exaggerating/misremembering. The killer reveal scene was shocking and surprisingly violent, it's a definite highlght, but you don't really get that again in the show. THe creepy atmosphere of the earlier episodes was great though, and I did like season 2, just not as much.

I'm pretty sure you're the same person I always say this to, but I agree. Ben Horne in general was fantastic.

Yeah, I can imagine that scene being rather awkward to watch with family haha.

The cowboy was gay? I'm pretty sure he was threatening the director to choose the girl the producers wanted, he was likely hired by them.

"psst, kids, wanna get listed on my flight plan?"

nah, that movie is perfect
10/10

I feel like the cowboy is talking directly to the viewer, who's trying to comprehend what is going on. Kasher doesn't see him 2 times, but instead Diane does.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the black book the hitman got, the coffee HELP ME guy and the phone guy who seems to control things behind the scenes.

I love all the (numerous) nods to all his previous movies: one of the reasons it should be considered (as David ynche said himself) as the acme of Lynch filmography.

>this movie launched Naomi Watts

>and made way for the whole lesbian sex scene thing for movies like Carol and Blue Warm

If you can't figure out everything in MD on the first viewing you are an idiot. Everything is spelled out for you at the end.

Don't know. But I guess you can't over rely on Lynch flick.

Naomi went mainstream and shed off Lynch's girl impression

There has never been someone that looks better in cinema, prove me wrong.

>this movie launched Naomi Watts
Why didn't it launch Laura Elena Harring?

The only scene I didn't like was Robert Forster's one in the beginning. It just dragged on and had no purpose. I think Lynch just left it in because of Forster's recent Oscar nomination and that he is a friend.

That's because it started out as a pilot for a TV show. Lynch salvaged and converted it into a film. All those little 'random' scenes were suppose to be subplots for the show.

>Why didn't it launch Laura Elena Harring?

That's because she's not the girl.