Why does nothing happen with Dune anymore? Not a single thing that ever was associated with Dune failed. Yet...

Why does nothing happen with Dune anymore? Not a single thing that ever was associated with Dune failed. Yet, we get nothing. Will the spice ever flow again?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O9bsHAXwaEE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Not a single thing that ever was associated with Dune failed.

yeah ok

to do anything well with the universe it becomes either expensive or it never quite captures the feel of it. It also has the problem of being closer to shakespear in space without the dialogue but with characterization.. less action, more talking and if it isn't done well you're missing the core of the story..

There is no chance for a highly profitable dune adaptation. So there ya go. Tons of downsides, very little upside besides it being a well known brand.

I wish we would get a new movie too user.

Personally, I think Hideaki Anno would be the best director to make another Dune film adaption.

If you have watched his Shin Godzilla, you will know how brilliant his direction and vision is.

Also the creepiness of Godzilla and imagining what he would do with the sand worms, the Harkonnen and the Baron.

Hard to sell Dune in a post-9/11 world when the entire message of the book is "Muslims are the best and they will kill all the white people."

Will we ever see a God Emperor of Dune? Even though that book is very talkie, they could still come up with various sorts of action and blend it with book 5 or so.

We already have a mini series of Dune, Dune Messiah & Children of Dune so I guess we don't need to remake the first 3 books again for time being.

They could even bring back James Mcavoy to do voice over.

>HEY GUISE NICE DUNE THREAD BUT ABOUT GODZILLA

cuntface McShite

I heard anno is directing it

Not true because Children of Dune was released in 2003 and it did very well for its audience then.

I am simply stating that I believe Anno would be the best director for an adaption.

If you are looking for someone as creative and visionary then Anno is your man.

Can you imagine his sand worm designs?

this is a problem but not quite the way you think it is. The fremen are closer to Bedouins or native indian or any other tribal people than they are mussies, them being a desert people obviously means people will draw the connection..and the whole jihad business of taking over the empire..

wait nevermind the more I think it out they are basically space muslims. Shit

Serious message Anno about Dune on twitter if he has it or something. I SO WANT to see this made if he doesn't get the Shin Godzilla 2 deal with Toho

Dune is a very problematic book... and that's as far as I'll go on the internet

Aside from that; its bloody hard to make good sci-fi anyway. Throw in the need for expensive location and the sheer scale of the Dune-verse and you're asking for a flop

GEoD is literally shit. If books 5 and 6 didn't exist it would be the worst book in the series.
>Emperor Wormdick McLeto 2.0: "Behold my plan to make nothing happen for 10,000 years!"
>Everyone else: "Uh... cool I guess.
>"Now listen as I tell you in excruciating detail all of the minutiae of the plan!"
>"Pls no."

AnnoXdune S.O.S final batlle vs shinji

Children of Dune is one of my favorite mini series ever though.

All the dialogue, monologues work so well along with the CGI, background scenary, soundtrack. It truly is so special.

Under right direction and guidance, you can make Dune very well on the screen.

Well this point is valid in our current world, unfortunately. A potential producer would have to be very careful about making a new movie without making obvious references to muslims. Then again, hard to do when "Jihad" is literally what the Fremen want kek. Ah this is not good for our beloved Dune. World events have gotten the better of us.

RAPE

THE BIGGEST BATTLE IN SCI FI BEGINS

>Paul Atreides on a sand worm versus Rautha on a Shin Godzilla/Angel type of beast

Doesn't Frank Herbert's sons own the rights? So you'd have to go to them and beg them if you can change the story/adapt it to your pleasing to fit it into a type of blockbuster.

This was surprisingly well made and so was its reception. I was so nervous about it becoming a flop before watching but everything went right. With all this netflix hype they could so easily make a new series. But again, surely the political aspects of this is why the franchise lays dormant.

Godzilla would fit in a sandworm's mouth. Largest sandworm is 131 feet in diameter. Godzilla is 164 feet tall. The worm could almost swallow him sideways.

>Kanye will never become president and add Jodo to Mount Rushmore

Yes he does and he dilligently publishes novels, but nothing happens on screen. On the other hand, I don't understand why they simply don't shift away from Arrakis and follow the story of Paul becoming the emperor. You have Game of Thrones, so even the average kid will be satisfied with courtship and plots between different royal houses. The Fremen that go with him have blue eyes so the muslim references wouldn't be too obvious kek

have you read the new novels? His kid and his friend are trying to out do dad for dense plot/narrative. The language he uses is half the time convoluted and the other half is so baroque that it wouldn't work with common audiences.

Go read any of the machine war series. It is like they wanted to write a thesis about dune and were like fuck it, lets stick it in book form, what could go wrong.

is Dune worth the watch?

They're literally muslims in space. The fremen are all zen-sunni.

Yes. If you watch the Lynch version then please watch the theatrical cut first.

Sandworms aren't creepy. Baron is not even really that much of an antagonist, he's a tool for Emperor.

First of all, it's too big. If it's to be done properly, I'd say it would take thousands of people and hundreds of millions of dollars to make.

Secondly, and this is my opinion, I don't think it's "hard enough" sci-fi. You either wanna make Star Wars, that the kids and manchildren will eat up, or some real hardcore sci-fi shit, which wouldn't necessarily be profitable, but would find its niche. Dune is right in the middle.

It has its moments and it's worth watching but a lot of the Lynch movie is unexplained so you won't know what's happening without reading the book.

They're YA eu tier. Theres literally no reason to read them. KJA is such a hack that his star wars EU books were made fun of by characters in universe.

Why can't you do something like Phantom menace BUT good

>politics with a dose of action
David Lynch's adaption was pretty decent apart from the middle of the film where they rushed Paul's ascension.

The extended cut gives you a 5 minute explanation of the past otherwise everyone needs to watch the theatrical cut of Lynch's film first because the extended cut isn't technically extended. Yes it has more scenes but it also cuts out a lot of scenes (because it was a made for tv version so the violence/gore had to be cut out).

>Sandworms aren't creepy
H.R. Giger's sand worms in Jodorowsky's Dune were bound to be

>I don't think it's "hard enough" sci-fi.
That's just incorrect. It defined the study of ecology, and is drenched in social and economic discourse.

Not yet, but I want to get this newest one about the Navigator Guild. But I believe you, the original ones already had Shakespearean elements which they even kept in the David Lynch movie. I can't remember the last movie that used internal monologues. An art totally forgotten these days. But indeed, with this you also mention another problem with Dune now: it is pretty high-brow in nature.

The Lynch movie has mixed reception but I love it. It is slow in pace and has a more theatrical tone, so depends on your tastes.

>Why can't you do something like Phantom menace BUT good
I wish this would happen too

Dune has inspired a lot of other films and medias
youtube.com/watch?v=O9bsHAXwaEE

He's still right though. It doesn't do accurate science. It has religion, prophecies and FTL travel. It goes pretty deep into fantasy territory.

mmm yeah baby, suck that black dick

>It has religion
*tips fedora*

>H.R. Giger predicted the creation of BLACKED.COM
Truly prophetic.

the complex (in sci-fi terms) plot is not suited to the American audience

>The Lynch movie has mixed reception but I love it.
I used to not think much of it but upon rewatching it, is actually very enjoyable.

The soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks ever - right next to Children of Dune's score for me.

Giger was a fucking hack. That sandworm literally looks like something out of Alien universe.

That is one way to look at his art user except for the fact majority of his work predated the things you're criticizing him of.

Giger's first success was when H. H. Kunz, co-owner of Switzerland's first poster publishing company, printed and distributed Giger's first posters, beginning in 1969.

What I mean is that it portrays religious prophecies as real which would be fantasy not hard science.

also if you're going to make a derivative argument, what was he being derivative of? don't act like dune was well known when he did majority of his work. He was a full decade or two before dune or aliens.

>That sandworm literally looks like something out of Alien universe.
umm user he made those pictures in like 1973... several years before Alien.

Yes he was inspired by Jodorowsky to make Alien with Ridley Scott

Its not suited to a screen adaptation. It would adapt to a stage play better than a movie.

Did you even watch the mini series? It works perfectly to the screen under good direction.

That's not what it does at all you dumb fuck.

Dudes, he literally drew them to look biomechanic, he obviously had this one idea of alien-monsters in his head and just did variations of it. Like a lead guitarist in a metal band who does same solos over and over again.

It talks about religion being a tool of statecraft. Read dune messiah where paul is absolutely disgusted by his religion, and he does everything he can to dismantle his cult. This is carried into children of dune, coming to a head in godemperor where letos entire plan is to change the human race into a something that rebels against any type of absolute authority.

that isn't a derivative argument when you have a style or theme that works of your own work, of course an artist is going to ape it. Name one that hasn't to point of making them 'styles'

using the word hack in this context is him aping someone else's idea or work which he clearly didn't. People ape him though for sure.

artists are whores.

>Like a lead guitarist in a metal band who does same solos over and over again.
You mean like Kirk Hammett using the whammy bar for almost every solo?

It absolutely does. The entire plot is about a religious cult that can see the future.

I have to rewatch the TV series. It's been ages ago but I still remember the fantastic scenery.

The current godzilla is 387 feet you stupid faggot

No it's not. Paul (and Guild Navigators) can see the future, but they are not source of any prophecies.

The actual """prophecies""" were all pre-planted into population by a Bene Gesserit branch called "Missionaria Protectiva", to be used later by their Kwizats Haderach. They're fake-prophecies, more like manipulations.

They replayed it on a tv channel a couple years ago. I was surprised by that

I don't want creepy sandworms, I want biological viable sandworms

Is that Ghani in the mineseries ???

what if some sandworms have been contaminated with some new sort of virus/disease that the Harkonnen have been working on which turn them into super powerful demented creatures?

so how come Paul's ultimate plan was to create a human invisible to prescience?

yes

"Finally after all these years, I have become the God Emperor of Dune"
SERIOUSLY?

>just like my animes

>Open TV guide in 2001
>Read this

Because
>Paul (and Guild Navigators) can see the future
They don't issue any "prophecies" though, that's Bene Gesserit bullshit.

>Paul (and Guild Navigators) can see the future
why is that so bad? I don't remember the navigators fucking with events

>Dune Universe
>in 2016

guys the sandworms symbolize dicks
no way this flies in this age

>not riding your dick to victory in 2016

wew

So according to Herbert's sons, Dune used to be filled with oceans thousands of years ago??

I'm not sure if it was oceans specifically, you may be thinking of other worlds that have the worms. Because A) I'm not sure worms would be able to survive there and B) if worms die when Arrakis becomes paradise again..or that is the idea.. that would argue anything outside of their living conditions would kill them

That's another world user, also yes, Dune had oceans once, Herbert mentions it during the books

so spice is sandworm cum, right ?

he foresaw an invasion by an enemy that had prescience, so he tried to get humanity to evolve by creating hardship and using artificial selection, specifically for prescience immunity but also just being better overall
he was like ozymandias, killing millions and being a huge asshole but for the greater good

Metabolic residues more like

Someone remind me again why Paul didn't stop the Jihad ?

>slug slime
stop making sense user
you are ruining the immersion

Power

if the bene gesserit control all of mankind by looking into the future, then creating a man that cannot be seen by them essentially destroys their power. this is vague, but i think the solution was to rebuild those AI humanoids that were forbidden thousands of years ago.

He realized he couldn't. It was a force greater than him. He was just a catalyst.

>if the bene gesserit control all of mankind by looking into the future,
but the user I was replying to said they can't see the future, only shape it very accurately

>rebuild the thing they spent so much time fighting off and killing

>if the bene gesserit control all of mankind by looking into the future, then creating a man that cannot be seen by them essentially destroys their power.
Bene Gesserit can't see into the future. Paul could, and so can Leto 2. The way it works in Dune is that prescience "locks" future on a certain path, like in quantum physics where observing the experiment changes it. Paul's prescience locked humanity on a dangerous path, Leto's Golden Path ensured humanity survival by firstly, initiating The Scattering and, secondly, creating humans (and ships) who can't be seen by prescience, ensuring that nobody will ever "lock" all of the humanity on a certain path.

They don't shape it accurately, even, they just plant a bunch of vague myths about a Messiah who will come from another world (Kwizats Haderach) and will do certain stuff, so when they have Kwizats Haderach he can just use that knowledge to become the Messiah. They have different myths for different kinds of planets.

i think you have read wrong, because he wrote that they do see the future. to defeat them then, you need people that do not appear in their visions of the future.

i mean to defeat the bene gesserit. might be wrong though, i only have some vague memories of this point.

>Shin Godzilla
>not Evangelion

o-ok senpai.

>Bene Gesserit can't see into the future.

you sure? what about their whole concern of paul in the first place? their worry of a man being able to walk where they cannot "see" him?

I'm getting mixed up here.

1. "the plot is about a cult that sees the future"
2. "no it's not - Paul and the Navigators can see the future [...] but the Bene Gesserit "prophecies" are pre-planned"
if you're not saying the BG can't see the future then I'm sorry but you were really misleading

Bene Gesserit do see into the future. They just can't see Paul in the future because he's an unknown factor which is why they want to control him so he doesn't fuck with their plans.

BG have a thousand years long scheme of selective breeding to make a man who will be able to access the "genetic memory" - personalities of his male ancestors. BG can only see female genetic memory, male scares them. Their plan was to train that Kwizats Haderach and use him as a tool; they can't control Paul though, that's why he scares them.

This guy: seems to have read the Dune a long time ago.

>Bene Gesserit do see into the future.
What? Where is that stated, ever? I've just finished re-reading the first book, so it's pretty fresh in my mind.

its too complicated for normies = high risk for studios etc
some editions of the books come with their own attached dictionaries of terms and shit
they'll never get their heads round it

Someone need to do an adaptation of the Foundation series. Some of the best fiction I've ever read.

here. i think you are correct lel. makes sense what you are saying.

I read Dune last year and didn't understand the big fuss over it. Maybe it was influential at the time of its release but now it just reads as one giant cliche after cliche

>some editions of the books come with their own attached dictionaries of terms and shit

this was the best. having over 100 pages of maps, terms and further details.

Bene Gesserits pls go.

I want that for Halloween and that mic

Not everyone understands it user, it's okay, try reading it all again

Why hasn't anyone posted Dune titties? I know there were at least two scenes in Children of Dune.

Don't be a pussy. Do it, fgt.

friendly reminder that jodorowsky said literally that you must not be faithful to the work youre basing your adaptation of and that he was raping frank herbert with love. Jodorowsky had the right idea of it, he would have used the framework and themes of the story to create a great movie, but an ultimately awful adaptation.

>he would have used the framework and themes of the story to create a great movie, but an ultimately awful adaptation.

So what Lunch did.

No, that's Alia

i think lynch attempted to make something of an actual adaptation. Jodorowsky planned the introduction of unique ideas that little to nothing to do with the original books.

Jodorowsky wanted to make more pretentious garbage with a big name attached to it so it could be financed by a big studio. So he can go fuck off.

Aren't they more so Sufi? Why did you decide on Sunni?

yep, and that would have been vastly superior to the shitty syfy shows. they are technically "faithful" but about as bland as a school play. similar production values too.

when fans of a book tell you they want an adaptation, they just mean they want a visual companion to the book, some moving pictures to go with the novel so they can go "that sure is a thing from that book i like" and be satisfied. that the service movies like lotr and harry potter provide. a real adaptation would rip a novel to shreds and rebuild it, and the fans would recoil from it, because where is that scene where the guy does the thing...? #notmydune

Because prescience is a trap. By seeing a future a prescient effectively locks that possibility into a probability.

The guild used their prescience to effectively trap the universe into one that was "safe" for the spice, the navigators, and their apparatus. Mankind cannot evolve in a safe and secure environment.

Muad dib used his prescience to lock the universe into a different type of security. The one the fremen had beenwilling into existence via the tao of the sietch.

By the time paul realized his folly he had to much to lose and wouldn't make the necessary sacrifices (because of love for chani and his unborn children).

Leto II sees the inherent danger in that and makes the ultimate sacrifice, spending thousands of years grooming humanity to be able to resist the trap of prescience, with a roadmap that extended another 10,000 years before the golden path delivered all of humanity beyond any power's ability to subjugate mankind to asingle vision.

Those with the siona gene were just prescient enough to fuck with any other prescience, creating too many random variables to make any machinations useless against the human race.

There are hints in the original books that there was a big schism between the two. The people who became the fremen were former slaves that were essentially exiled and eventually found their way to arrakis. So they had evolved over time from what they were to the ultimate survivors that were the fremen.

It also has something to do with Frank Herbert's experiences living in egypt as a kid.

>implying fremen are the good guys and not fanatic nut jobs by the end of Dune
>understanding the book

Pick one familia

Navigators had a monopoly on space travel