The Master

What did it make you feel?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt1560747/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv
twitter.com/AnonBabble

just by the casting choice I know this movie probably sucks.

lol

Regret for wasting 2+ hours of my life

If Amy Adams gave at least a shed of shit about her performance in any film then I may believe you. But that will never happen.

PTA is my favorite director but both this and Magnolia made me feel nothing but boredom

joaquin's character made me think about my now-deceased scumbag grandfather. this is how i imagine he was like when he was young. there's even an unsettling physical resemblance. the feelings are complicated because i'm still not sure what to think about my scumbag grandfather even though he died of cancer five years ago.

Inauthentic plebeian garbage

Pure kino

PIG FUCK

I got excited at the start of this movie because I thought it was about some guy who made a dope cocktail and Hoffman was gonna brand it and make a bunch of money with him, but instead its some boring cult shit with tryhard acting.

PSH and Joacquin Phoenix are great

Boredom, sucked dicks tbqh

so many plebs in here, absolutely disgusting

not to imply that PTA is some master director but The Master is a great movie. Possibly his best.

It was so boring though. What did I miss?

That's not really a critique that is all that easy to refute mate. I find the movie extremely compelling. I will acknowledge that the last third of the movie might slow down somewhat but the first two thirds of the movie are endlessly fascinating and beautifully put together. The atmosphere of threat and menace that lingers behind every scene due to the complete unpredictability and ambiguity surrounding Phoenix's character should be more than enough to retain interest imo.

What was this movie even about?
Does it have a message?

Adams was great in The Fighter and she's adequate here.

lonely

One of the things that keeps me from loving Anderson as much as some people is that I often find his ideas can be somewhat muddled or not entirely cogently formed. That being said, I think both TWBB and The Master are attempts to understand certain American ideologies by looking at specific historical moments. The Master is a look at the postwar period in America that opened itself up ideas of cultism and the philosophies of people like Ayn Rand, which have had a lasting impact in Ammurican culture and politics. That being said, I think much like TWBB, the movie is mostly a character study that looks deeply into two characters in conflict with one another, both representing different iterations of masculinity.

Again though, I don't look to PTA for his messages. The Master to me is a very atmospheric movie that depicts two fascinating personalities who don't resemble too many other characters in film. I don't feel the need to probe that much more deeply into it than that.

I've explained this movie so many times.

Freddy is a damaged man. Apart from the war, he also abandoned the one meaningful relationship he ever had. His failures mount within him and make him shameful and scared. When happens upon Dodd, he is told that he is an animal and that in order to have a better life he must reject his base animal nature. The rest of the movie is a delicate interplay where Freddy, unsure how much he believes in this philosophy, grapples with his failures. Eventually, in a genuinely moving moment, Freddy rejects the psychologically soothing fantasy that Dodd has spun and instead goes to confront the girl he once loved. When he gets to her house he finds her gone and married to someone else. From that point forward Freddy has grown and has a level of maturity and emotional stability that he lacked in the rest of the film. When he rejects Dodd the final time in England it is to preserve his autonomy. In the final moment where he's there with the girl from the pub he's actually at peace and happy for what may be the first time in his life.

There's also a lot of hand waving you can do about the Id, Ego and Superego that isn't not there but I think the film is more moving and more meaningful to the audience if that navel gazing is left out of most analyses of the film.

Dodd has an arc too. It's a marvelously crafted film.

I'm not a big Anderson fan, but The Master was fucking brilliant.

Drunk. I drank in the theater.

I'm an alcoholic.

It was 'good' but not good

This is fine write-up.

I was never into the Id, Ego, etc. analysis; the movie is simpler than that -- and not in a bad way -- that plays beautifully.

It was pure kino. T

he only faggots who hate on it are the ones that lived sheltered lives who have never been exposed to anyone with a destructive personality.

sleepy
>kanyeshrug.jpg

Great Movie, but I'm not quite sure why. It's just somehow very interesting.

>The Master
>PTA's best

lol

TWBB, Boogie Nights, and Magnolia are all superior.

Reminded me why I should never watch a PTA film

fuck you Cred Forums

It makes so much sense that PTA works with Johnny Greenwood, because PTA is essentially the Radiohead of film.

I understand that he's important and good, but I still don't like his work at all.

>PTA is essentially the Radiohead of film

this is definitely not the citizen kane of analogies

Nostalgic , of something that i have no memory of...

I wanted a movie about Hoffman's character. Instead I got a movie about Phoenix's character. Couldn't care less about him. I wanted to see the portrayal of someone deciding to start a cult and starting it.

No. Freddy is the same at the end as the beginning, only now he starts running some of Dodd's bullshit game on the girl he's fucking.

Annoyed I chose to watch it instead of anything else.

Angry nude Amy Adams was preggo Amy Adams

the movie was about Hoffman's character, you just expected something different.

I wanted to love it, but I only just liked it. PTA really is just too kino for me.

Is that Hackerman?

made me feel like I need to fuck something

Yeah, Phillip Seymour Hackerman

>scumbag
Explain.

pee pee in poo poo

Like a FUCKINGS PIG FUCK!

It made me nostalgic for pig fucks

It's a movie that you can get many different themes and messages from, but I've always seen it as an exploration if Freudian psychotherapy. Freddy is the id, the Master is the ego, and his wife the superego.

>Philip Seymour Hoffman had his first drink in 23 years at the wrap party for this film, leading to a relapse of his alcoholism.

imdb.com/title/tt1560747/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Scientology internet army strong

I thought it was about Scientology?

Magnolia is shit until TC starts in with his cock speech and then its shit again

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAGAGAHAHAHAHAHA

FAGGOT!

This. My favorite part of the movie was Joaquin's grifter. Reminds me of my great grandpa from Chicago who drifted through North Dakota and got my great grandma pregnant, abandoned her when she got institutionalized for post partem depression, came back five years later to kidnap my grandma, well you get the idea.

Why be so nasty? At least I TRIED to contribute something constructive instead of just sitting in the basement being mean to people on the Internet.

Excuse me.

It made me feel like it was a well-acted, well-constructed movie, but I felt no emotional connection to the events because they were happening to shitty people.

I agree. Phoenix does such a masterful job with the character that I got uncomfortable any time anyone was interacting with him. He sold the whole dangerous lunatic vibe so hard that I truly believed that something was going to set him off at any moment.

That's an interesting interpretation. Thanks for sharing that. As far as themes go, one of the messages I took away from it is that there are people for whom cults can actually be beneficial, but those people are at absolute rock bottom.

To me it was animalistic nature of a person and trying to "civilize" that person to fit into society. Or at least another person's view of society.

At the end, you can't fix an animal.

He was just playing with her, you complete autist.

Good explanation.

That he did nothing wrong.

The Phoenix character in both this and inherent vice was so fucked up it is really hard to give a shit about him. So he's crazy, so what? The Master was still good despite him though