Star Trek basic fuck ups

>Any episode of Next Gen
>Meet a new alien species
>"We come from the planet (name) (number)

That's like us meeting aliens and saying "we come from the planet sol 3".

Also

>Captain, that entire planet is going to be blown up! Thousands of people could die!
>Thousands
>An entire planet with a civilisation on it

I think the only time I ever heard them using reasonable numbers was the episode where they find the old couple as sole survivors on the planet that was attacked, and the old guy admits to killing billions of some species.

What other fuck ups twist your tits?

Other urls found in this thread:

autismspeaks.org/what-autism/treatment
amazon.com/Fifty-Year-Mission-Generation-Uncensored-Unauthorized/dp/1250089468
youtube.com/watch?v=bl5TUw7sUBs
preplays.mp3million.com/20/12/21/20122110.mp3
tor.com/2016/10/17/the-answer-to-why-humans-are-so-central-in-star-trek/
youtube.com/watch?v=DIw690VGt70
youtube.com/watch?v=w-ijEWj2xmg
youtube.com/watch?v=2FjzFHyjhVI
youtube.com/watch?v=TqseYiGA0us
youtube.com/watch?v=tR97q35_3nw
youtube.com/watch?v=oDAA2Ih4XAs&feature=youtu.be&t=20
youtube.com/watch?v=CqqsL0EqASM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

autismspeaks.org/what-autism/treatment

>Thousands of people could die

Same with SG1, planets never had a realistic population. I can buy the thousands in Atlantis due to the keep a small population or be assblasted by the wraith but any planet with post industrial revolution tech having only thousands of people is a bit stupid.

That aliens can mate doesn't even make sense.

Humans and Chimpanzees can't even mate despite being on the same planet and having a common ancestor.

The thing I hated about SG1 was all of the deus ex machina. Holy shit every damn time. The replicators are too strong, well here's a magic weapon that we recovered that will emp them all and prevent them from reforming. Yay! Auri are too strong, magic weapons etc. People wonder why I hate that show.

the universal translator is changing their own name for their planet into a federation designation, for clarity

and many of the planets they save don't have vast indigenous populations, they're space colonies for which a small number of residents is appropriate

That makes sense.

somebody never saw the episode where it turns out ancient aliens seeded all the major races, causing them to be compatible

>That's like us meeting aliens and saying "we come from the planet sol 3".

That's the most logical way to designate planets, isn't it?

Ezri.

Fuck this character and fuck Rick Berman for complaining about people's tits being too small.

Ezri is based and she didn't have big tits so I don't see what that has to do with anything

She developed more in one season than Jadzia did in six

I'd Jadz both their ia's if you know what I mean

>Most planets have only one kind of intelligent life form with ONE common language

>If a planet has 2 kinds of intelligent life forms, they are always in constant war or one exploits/enslaves the other.

>The classic: Klingons. Face-to-face fight, hurr-durr honor, bravery, too dumb to handle any banter etc. They use cloaking technology on their ships.

>Muh prime directive
>Yet the Federation changes every working cultures to fit more to the humans' culture, because muh moral high ground.
>Somehow "our" culture is the best always, even though most cultures are older than human culture.

>Other lifeforms uses "days" as time measurement and never a single one question how much is that compared to our "day" time.

humans could mate with australopithecines though. we're genetically compatible enough.

Big headed monkeys cucked the galaxy.

It's almost like they're fictional stories whose narrative is meant to portray some lesson and not imagined future documentaries meant to seem as realistic as possible.

Ha this is reddit as fuck but I love it

To be fair the way the worlds going already i can totally believe that calling Sol 3 Earth will become some kind of politically incorrect slur when we discover, immediately send foreign aid and then diversify with aliens.

Also the Aliens you mention probably weren't indigenous to those worlds. So the Colony world just used it's scientific name for lack of a better term.

Being able to mate is one thing, being able to mate and produce viable offspring is something else.

>she didn't have big tits so I don't see what that has to do with anything
It has to do with everything, Rick.

we could produce viable offspring with australopithecines. that's what I intended to express. that would be rather unethical though.

Yeah shit got retarded

Jadzia was already adapted to Dax when she came on board, so there was no need to show the kind of development they gave Ezri.

source?

amazon.com/Fifty-Year-Mission-Generation-Uncensored-Unauthorized/dp/1250089468

That episode is stupid. Even if all species speeded by their race were exactly the same, divergence would have made them incompatible over the eons.

I was always annoyed how an entire organization dedicated to scientific discovery doesn't include "learn about the basics of their laws" tenet.

Watching Voyager and it's like every other episode they get into some shit because they violate a basic social law of the civilization they've met. Like fucking ask them first.

>but any planet with post industrial revolution tech having only thousands of people is a bit stupid.
What is war with nukes and other modern weapons.

I figured a bunch were colony planets, too.

>the universal translator is changing their own name for their planet into a federation designation, for clarity
Then why aren't aliens called Bob and Mike?

A day is the time a planet takes to rotate about its axis. When they said "day" in DS9 they meant the 26 hour period a day lasts on Bajor.

>Nazis were the bad guys

How did the Tamarians manage to develop space travel?

How did they have a word for "at"?

>Dukat did something wrong

Reminder: walking on the grass is punishable by death.

They had a written language which was more complex than their spoken language.

>If we made an exception for your boy we'd have to make an exception for everybody!

>We come from Earth

>yeah, so does everyone else in the universe mate

They had to have had two languages: the spoken word language which contains nouns and pronouns (Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra), then the metaphor language is what those references mean in the current context.

Their scientific language would probably either be the written language, or just more complex metaphors.

>you now realize they were just fucking with the Enterprise the whole time

>Walk on the grass
>Sentenced to death
>Beat the shit out of the cops
>Let go because the law is no longer in effect in this area

All their criminals would just be gambling addicts. I mean, when you consider the size of the planet, what are the chances of any one zone being the punishment zone?

>utopian society
>everyone is white

I love the red-pilled episodes.

>Woman convinces America to become pacifist
>this only makes it easier for Germany to conquer them

Yeah they were pretty bad about the jargon on TNG. I don't think they ever said what the M in M Class Planet means until Enterprise.

>Bashir slept exclusively with women

They should have done more Julian Bondashir episodes, they were definitely my favourite holodeck gimmick in Trek.

I think the best moment is that time Odo walks in on them playing and gets into his Limo while they're moving, the way Colm delivers that:

>[Evil] Car trouble, Mr. Bashir?
>[Cheery] Hi Odo!

Cracks me up every time.

MGM gave them a cease and desist. We're lucky they didn't have the one that we got pulled.

Number 1 reason i hated Stargate was the fact we had all these backward civilizations, those that lived in basic huts or whatever, that had FULL knowledge of the other aliens/planets and the Stargate itself.
Yet the general people of Earth could never know about the existence of aliens let alone the ability to travel across the space.

>a unknown and potentially dangerous place
>let's send just a few people there, but make them the very least disposable ones we have onboard
(sans Captain, at least they improved it in TNG)

No I don't know what you mean, please explain with visual aids, diagrams and video footage if any.

>How much O'Brian did they keep on DS9?
>Miles O'Brian!

>it's a Scotty is left in command of the ship over Sulu even though Sulu is clearly more tactically and strategically proficient episode

What did the federation have against chink faggots?

>It's an exploring an unknown planet without knowing if the atmosphere is safe, if there's dangerous wildlife or not and without any form of spacesuit, just flimsy plastic bodysuits franchise

That never stopped bothering me. Even if it's Starfleet policy to not look hostile or something, after Shades of Gray if I was Picard or Riker I'd order every away team to wear a full space suit and have every transporter room manned and keeping a lock on every member of the away team. Fuck it, you can court-martial me after the 5 year mission.

The redshirts would love me more than they loved Captain "Maximum Spoonhead Casualties" Maxwell.

Well he did get his own command eventually. The only one. Is Takei still butthurt he didn't get his own show/movie?

>Is Takei still butthurt
Well, he is a faggot, so probably.

>without knowing if the atmosphere is safe
IIRC they usually were saying it's an "M-class planet" which means the atmosphere is ok. You're right about the wildlife and other dangers though, they even have their phasers on belts not in hand ffs.

I just finished watching TNG: Future imperfect and they beamed into a cave and then this happened:

>I'm detecting high levels of volcanic gases: sulfur dioxide, methane, hydrogen sulfide.
>Toxic?
>Eh, we're okay for now, but I wouldn't wanna spend my vacation here.

That's the sort of thing I would have checked before sending anything, even a probe. What if the atmosphere was aerosolised hydrochloric acid?

Youre talking about people with the techonology to "scan" every mollecule of your body and then copy it. They obviously scanned the entire planet for everything imaginable before going in.

Then explain how Shades of Gray happened

>watching Shit Trek

As I am reading on the plot summary, it was a virus contained in a plant's thorn. Not an atmospheric thing.

>tfw there will never be an episode where Dukat paints random Bajorn women gold
>tfw there will never be an episode where Ezri emerges from the ocean in a white bikini like Ursula Andrews
>tfw there will never be an episode where Damar has metal teeth
>tfw there will never be an episode where Quark is Q and tries selling Bashir accessories and bullets for all his guns and gadgets

Fuckin nerds. I bet they argue about the definition of an engine.

leave my wife alone you asshole

>being gay married
At least waifu someone with some tits, like Khan.

>Most planets have only one kind of intelligent life form with ONE common language
This is a pretty reasonable one. Our own planet is just starting to become connected globally and we've already adopted English as the common language, most people from developed countries can speak at least some. As globalization increases it's perfectly reasonable that we would end up using only a single language in the far future.

I'm going to marry Garak!

I think they did that because the general idea was that the stargate program actually exists in our universe.

>It's a Garak has his gay marriage to Bashir annulled due to the need to repopulate the Cardassian species episode

why yes, I believe it is ironic that Harlan Ellison, a member of a tribe you all hate to love is the most "red-pilled" out of all you faggots

>planet name
it might make sense to use a name that's more understandable to outsiders (you don't see a Russian go to America and say "I am from Russkiy"), but with how many inhabited planets there are in Star Trek, it's unlikely to be system they know anyway, so you have a point
>Captain, that entire planet is going to be blown up! Thousands of people could die!
>Thousands
>An entire planet with a civilisation on it
a lot of the time the planet in question is a colony, and a lot of the rest of the time it's a pre-industrial planet where the population hasn't gotten very high yet-- although I would expect it to be at least millions
names can't be translated unless have some commonality
planet names can be translated if both parties have different names for the same thing
personal names usually can't be translated because they have no common source or reference point between languages and cultures
there's also an element of respect, you call people what they want to be called

>there will never be an episode where Q is Q just to fuck with everyone's filing systems

D-d-don't even joke about something like that.

>tfw you destroy another user in an argument because he thinks nacelles are engines
>tfw all he can do is argue semantics because he knows that nacelles are just air intakes, torque converters and wheels in one and none of these are engine parts

>Thousands
In Stargate the Gooo uld were surprised Eath had such a high population.

Same with the Wraith.

Thanks.

Is this Star Trek kinö?

youtube.com/watch?v=bl5TUw7sUBs

that's my jam

>Data has been in Starfleet for 20+ years before joining the Enterprise
>Still acting confused around basic things like hearing slang terms and metaphors
>Nobody bothered deciding yet if he was an officer or property

Rustled me a little.

>When you're watching the worst non-clip show Trek episode and the soundtrack goes blockbuster for a second

preplays.mp3million.com/20/12/21/20122110.mp3

What the fuck. How did that sneak on through in Tin Man?

Star Trek has this thing, and more of it the farther back you go, where any human not in danger thinks everything is just so fucking cute they can't even
"an android that can talk and fix things and shit? you are too adorable, do you want to take the Starfleet exam?"

which is to say, that's how he would've gotten in-- everyone was too impressed and amused to bother thinking about whether he counted as person and was possibly a security risk or even too valuable to be on a ship in deep space for a long time
then as Trek gets more cynical and more analytical someone starts asking these questions, and no one brings up how it was never brought up before because A) it makes perfect sense to them and B) the writers don't want to insult the sensibilities of fans of the older Trek writing styles

>It's ANOTHER episode about alien(s) with mind powers who trick/control the crew

I love Star Trek, but I am pretty sure 75% of the episodes of the original Star Trek were about that.

Hell, if I remember correctly, the first 10 episodes are all about that stuff.

It's interesting, but it's really annoying that they relied on that sort of basic set up so often.

>These aliens are super smart and create anything!
>These aliens can control your mind!
>These aliens can read your mind!
>These aliens can make you see anything!

tor.com/2016/10/17/the-answer-to-why-humans-are-so-central-in-star-trek/

Now it all makes sense

does not surprise me that berman was a grade a douche. He and braga fucked over voyager big time

Don't forget hyper intelligent computers that can be defeated by making it think about illogical things.

Also, the original Star Trek had almost no world building for most of its run.

They'd just randomly go to a planet and have no reoccurring characters (aside from the crew) or alien species, and would seemingly make up new shit whenever they wanted.

Rick Berman hated it when the music was more than just background noise.

I always found it weird when Troi used the phrase "My god" or "Oh my god". She's a Betazoid. Why would she use a religious earth phrase from the 21st century? Or does Betazed actually have a monotheistic religious culture?

Do you think he thought he would turn out like that?
Like when you're a dumb kid and you think adults know everything, and they pick this big hunk Chad McChin the Pussy-Destroyer to be the adult version of you.. do you think he was like, "Fuck yeah, I cant wait to grow up!"
And then every day after that for years, every time he looked in the mirror he was like, "When the fuck is this shit gonna happen?"
And then finally one day when he was around 17-18 he had to finally look at himself and come to the realization that it just wasn't going to fucking happen.

>It's a McCoy suggests something completely reasonable and logical based on his medical knowledge that will save lives, but Kirk decides to do something else and it works out in the end anyways.

But that's Jay Chattaway, Berman's replacement for Ron Jones (the music composer that Berman hated).

I guess Berman was too busy with his secretary's tits that week.

Kek

I'm watching Galaxy's Child right now and Geordi's cringe might just destabilize the whole warp field

>Galaxy's Child
youtube.com/watch?v=DIw690VGt70

>It's an alien lifeform with the ability to control the minds of the unwary shows up episode

Apparently Data found it and introduced it to The Chief, does anyone know the specifics? As far as I'm aware, they never followed up with the name of the planet or starsystem it was found in.

>reddit embracing their in pride in their race which they otherwise suppress in the name of diversity

It's quite nice to see.

w8 i thought cartwright was gud guy

The true villain of TUC is Kirk.

>Cartwright's motivations
Making the Federation great again

>Kirk's motivations
Revenge for the death of his son

This really made me think.

He is a good guy, he wanted to genocide the Klingons and when Starfleet didn't go for that plan he helped the Klingons assassinate the Klingon Chancellor who was in favour of peace, so they'd start a war and have to genocide the Klingons.

Sentenced to 70 years as a Creole chief.

fuck those starfleet prisons are rough. Wasn't tom paris also sentenced to being a chef for a bit?

>You can fool Klingon border security with a dictionary

Cartwright was right, they should have knocked out the Klingons in a pre-emptive strike.

Yep.

Also, Nick Locarno was sentenced to being a chef for a bit.

He had to fix space hotrods. Section 31 was right, there's a spectre haunting The Federation.

A plain tomato soup chef, if I recall correctly, he really took it seriously.

>he really took it seriously
And like all Federation jobs, he did it for free.

You are Zanonymous Cockring, you have invented a Whoospie Drive and the Vacuums have shown up to say hello.

You have 30 seconds to pick the first song to play at First Contact, or Ooby Dooby will play by default.

youtube.com/watch?v=w-ijEWj2xmg

I
CAN'T
STAND
IT

>it's another episode where Worf's girlfriend rejects her Klingon half
>it's another B'Elanna rejects her Klingon heritage episode

The mongrels should have been vented out of the nearest airlock.

she's half Betazoid, her father was human and she seems to have taken after him in many ways

Serious question does Odo have a penis or is he like a Ken doll down there?

youtube.com/watch?v=2FjzFHyjhVI

He's whatever you want him to be baby ;)

To be honest, if he had a winning personality he'd be cucking everyone.

You've already seen what Odo looks like "down there". Odo is naked. In his crotch there's just more goo-imitating-fabric.

He's a changeling, he could have a 7" scale replica of Quark for a cock if he wanted.

their pride in the human race, yes
if you want to push some stupid unearned pride, that's easy mode

Seven Nation Army

They do state it is rare for Klingon/human success conceiving a child. I'm sure it's just as rare with other species as well save Romulans and Vulcans since they're pretty close. Don't think they ever had any cross species with Ferengi or Cardassians.

>the unearned pride meme
Wow dude, you're like so enlightened man.
Wanna smoke some maurijuana together?
We could have some really deep conversations dude.
I've got a box of Scooby Snacks in the back of my Mystery Machine.

I miss the days you could get the cast of a TV show to do a video game.

I will never have a seven inch Quark shoved up my ass.

Should I just kill myself?

Is TOS canon? Sensibly canon, because I know there's crossovers with TNG.
But it seems like every episode of TOS has some demi-god superbeings that Kirk fist-fights, or rogue Starfleet captains commanding the few hundred people on a class M planet.

It seems like there's so many Q-tier entities in TOS that Starfleet/Federation should be aware of by now, entities that could easily repel the borg.

also when K'Ehleyr (Worf's girlfriend) was introduced, Crusher said she was surprised there was any sort of crossbreed, and K'Ehleyr said her parents "had help", which was never expanded on but I figured it was some sort of gamete gene therapy

I don't think this shit was properly dealt with. My personal headcanon is that those are who Worf was referring to when he said the Klingons killed all their gods.

by "unearned" I mean the people who have it usually didn't do anything worth being proud of
being proud of stuff other people did is just as stupid as being ashamed of what other people did

youtube.com/watch?v=TqseYiGA0us

>WUR WEER GOIN WE DUN NEED OYS TEH SEE
wot did he mean by this, chaps?

>dude like dont be proud of your ancestors
>youre interchangeable with any other human bean
>just let in all the migrants

>Picard has no sex drive
>Picard is mentally superior to everyone on board so avoids mind control
>Picard is being a dick and everyone except Dr. Pulaski and Guinan who have the balls to tell him off.
I like Picard but sometimes he was presented as too perfect. My favorite episodes are when he is in a situation he absolutely hates and has no control. And when he's stumped him or makes him uncomfortable.

This is amazing

Didn't he fuck Vash? And the piano playing woman?

>You did not just say dat abowt me favorite Captain

>Picard is being a dick and everyone except Dr. Pulaski and Guinan who have the balls to tell him off.
I hated Guinan.
She was literally the magical negro confidant in space.
It pissed me off because the characters stopped trying to find answers for themselves or coming up with solutions with their crewmates but instead would to to Ten Forward and be told why they feel a certain way and how they should think.

Dammit man why did you post this now I can't stop watching this on repeat

He rarely had interest in women even those that threw themselves at him and he showed no temptation. Even with Vash and Commander Daren his romance with them were almost boyish crushes.

First for this sexy beast of a Cardy did absolutely nothing wrong.

tumblr

Such a cutie

>that episode Dukat called Kira in the middle of the night just to tell her "lmao I fucked you're mum"

At season 5 of DS9 now. Spike in quality aside, there just isn't going to be any good Trill-centric episodes, is there? Even the one with lesbian ex-waifu was shit.

You still have The Sopranos: Trill Edition coming up.

Real talk I'd fuck Garak over Dukat. Garak seems like he'd be into some really weird shit. Dukat just likes to be on top and look at himself during the mirror the whole time.

>you have accept or reject everything I like as a whole, not piece by piece, that's cheating

>design ship to fight the borg
>first time it meets a cube, gets fucked up and has to be saved by the enterprise

Starfleet was supposed to manufacture an entire fleet of Defiants, not just one.

The value of a Defiant-class is that it's as powerful as a Galaxy-class, but takes less resources to construct and operate.

I want Gowron posting to be a thing

Oh for god's sake, people, the human planets in Stargate were seeded with slave communities from the Goa'uld. They're not all going to grow to the size and intelligence of the Tau'ri.

>magical negro confidant

She was a bartender. All fictional bartenders give good advice. Even Quark. The difference with Quark is that people didn't always listen.

Besides, people stood up to Guinan. Troi in "The Price" telling her she'd make a bad counselor. Picard in "Yesterday's Enterprise" obviously making sure he thought everything through. And Riker in "All Good Things" telling her he wasn't just going to give up on getting Picard back.

You don't know how the UT interprets their planet name.
You know how if someone asks you where you live, you mention the nearest big city because literally no one is expected to know where Flyoverville is. Maybe its like that.

Also, if its a human colony, they've only been in space for a few hundred years. Not enough time to have massive populations.

>"We come from the planet (name) (number)
I always assumed that was the fault of the universal translator

The second one you mention is subverted in Star Trek: Generations when Data tells Picard several million people are living on a threatened planet. And that planet is only a Federation colony.

It seems kind of redundant to post that in a thread about sci fi, who in the hell else do you think watches it?

Not everyone who uses the phrase is a neo-nazi m8, the matrix was an incredibly popular film and that metaphor can be very easily applied to a whole range of concepts. Stop being so painfully close-minded

I think its the universal translator.

he's a... he's a...
dammit what is he?

>Troi in "The Price" telling her she'd make a bad counselor.
Troi is full of shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=tR97q35_3nw
Better counseling than she ever gave. And let's not forget the "lose her powers and is then incapable of interacting with people"

But I always say that to aliens.

Just wondering, why do you keep posting about Star Trek?

Q Who aired in 1989. It's currently 2016.

You mean like what Kirk does in TMP?

> Why does V'Ger travel to the third planet of the solar system directly ahead?

The next series is coming in 2017.

It's an unending discussion.

I'd like a good Cheers or Frasier thread but we're not getting any of that shit. I'd love to talk about how Rebecca was ugly as FUCK and they pretended she was attractive for like, five seasons.

don't know if it quite fits in with what OP is saying but here's my 3 least favorite Star Trek cliches

> It's required reading at the academy!
> the "X" maneuver
> Magna Carta. The Declaration of Independence. The Articles of the Martian Confederacy (3rd item all futuristic and spacy)

He's dead Jim.

>> the "X" maneuver
Which is always something like "slow turn to the right"

Except Earth is always called just that when talking to other species.

Why would the Humans, Bajorans, Klingons, Vulcans, Bolians, Betazoids etc all refer to their planets as traditional naming, yet all these shit-tier species call their planets by the designation that some astronomer would?

The biggest fuck up that the series has is the fact Klingons can somehow speak their language at their own leisure without the universal translator working.

All these theories that "Klingons speak English when you hear them speaking English" is retarded. It's not like the universal translator knows when to translate and when not to.

It's easy for Worf because he's actually speaking Russian.

>Star Fleet has been in ongoing conflicts for 200 years
>The Defiant class is the first warship ever developed

So during those wars that killed tens of millions of people, they never once thought "hmm, maybe we should develop something to protect our billions of citizens".

How do lore fags justify this?

It was the first ship class developed that had no other purpose.

The Federation is trying to be space Mormons and they don't even read Klingon curses. They're icky now go drink chocolate milk, marry ten women and move to Mexico.

They had never encountered a species where it was necessary to develop ships purely for war. The Defiant, Akira and Sovereign classes were all meant for dealing with the borg and the dominion. It begs the question as to why they asspulled these rather than having them all along. The Federation is actually dumb as fuck and section 31 was never wrong.

I member!

Why do Star Trek spaceships shake when they are hit in a shield by a beam weapon?

I think some have it translated and some actually can speak English
clearly Worf does, I would expect Gowron and various other hoity toity figures can speak both for diplomatic reasons
alternate explanation: they set the translators to ignore Klingon because because trying to translate it in real time would sound awkward because it uses a different word order from English (and most human languages), it would be like watching a badly dubbed Japanese movie (plus it's one of the more commonly known alien languages, Picard speaks it, Janeway at least partially speaks it, and Riker probably speaks a bit of it too because he was in that exchange program)

the beam is a phaser which is phased plasma that has mass, therefore phasers exert force on the impacted ship which their artificial gravity systems have to make on the fly corrections causing objects in the interior of the ship to shake.

THe universal translator is stupid though. Like it's supposed to be in their combadge or something right? But there's episodes of like voyager where they take them off and can still talk to random alien of the week just fine.

It would still translate Klingon into English, even if they speak English for diplomatic purposes.

It's like saying your car won't use petrol if you drive it in reverse.

SHIELDS
H
I
E
L
D
S

Shields

Battleships have no other purpose than to destroy things. That's the whole point of them, to be deployed during war.

That's be like during World War 2 we were using weather balloons to fight enemy aircraft.

no it's in their ear.

shields just means the beam doesn't penetrate the hull, not that the beams don't exert any force upon impact

They exert force upon shields, not the hull of the ship.

I think that's only the ferengi. In the episode of voyager where they meet amelia earhart they say that they're in their combadges.

Not him, but I can remember several times when they were able to beam through shields.

>NOT THROUGH THESE SHIELDS SIR
>MAYBE SIR BUT WE'D HAVE TO REMODULATE THEM THROUGH BLAH BLAH BLAH
>YEAH SIR I THINK WE CAN DO IT

A few episodes is another crisis

>BEAM THEM UP GEORDI
>SIR I CAN'T THE INTERFERENCE IS TOO HIGH

No, it was just bad and inconsistent writing.

But phasers damage whatever they hit on all dimensions, hence any kinetic properties would nullify themselves on the very function of phasing.

They beamed them out when it was convenient for the story. Or not when it wasn't.

>star trek at least is based upon science

When, ever?

Voyager isn't real. It was just a bad dream I had one night after eating some junk food.

>that episode Dukat called Kira in the middle of the night just to tell her "lmao I fucked you're mum"
>and it was true
>and she liked it
>and her mum was Teri Bauer from 24

Did DS9 start her off being typecast as a kidnapped mother who fucks her captors?

See:

>
>>the universal translator is changing their own name for their planet into a federation designation, for clarity
>Then why aren't aliens called Bob and Mike?

And why are there alien planets with real names, like Qonos, Romulus and Vulcan?

Forget what they say about Dukat doing nothing wrong or whatever. His exclusive episodes are extremely annoying. MAJOOOOOOR, MAJOOOOR, SISKOOOOO, SISKOOOOOO.

MY ASS IS THIRSTY SISKOOOOO, MAJOOOR WHERE IS YOUR DICK, MAJOOOOOOR

>His exclusive episodes are extremely annoying
Like what? Other than the one we were discussing, which I agree is annoying but that's because Major Bajor was acting like a stupid bitch the whole time.

Look upon your former mentor, Damar. That mad lad is stricken with ridge fever. Thankfully your own vice of alcoholism is much less disruptive to our work. I pray daily to the Founders that you never catch a similar case of nose woes like him.

Dukat and Kira are both terrible characters. Or at least they became that eventually.

The only worse thing I can compare it to is that woman who constantly whined in Cheers.

Kira is the best character though. Especially at the end.

>FOR CARDAASSIIIIAAAAAAAA!

>>FOR CARDAASSIIIIAAAAAAAA!
It was Garak and Damar that said that though. She just said

>T̢̖̭͙̤̳̻͍̜͞r̩̞͉͚̞̤̩̳̭a̠̩̗̥̱̙͘͜n͏̮̼̯̠̙͖͎̞s̡̪̟̦̰̤̖̪l̤͉̖͚̮͡ạ̰̥t̵̮̥̗͙͡o̘͉̯͙͍͈͈̪ͅr̸̳͕͔̠͔ ͍̪͟m͚̺̪̟͕̹̱͡a̶҉͇͍l҉̦̫̜̮̘͍͚̠̩f͡҉̩̪̞̗̦͇u̮̳̣͈̫ͅn͘҉̟̜̱͠c̦̻̲̕t̢̯̹̟̟͘͡ị͎̝̱̭͙͘o̶̡̲̗̱̥n̛͈͜͞:̷͓ ͚͖̙̘̩̘̫͢͠s̟͉̝̱̠̟͎͈ę̗̻́͠ẹ̥̙̜̰̩̜k̷̛͚̱͍̟͖̞̮ ̹͈ͅŗ̲̝e̶̢̬̣̦p̱̰̲̀͜͜a͍̱̜̩̺i̢̛̩͈̼͟ŗ̥̺͎̲͍̰ş̜͍̫̫̱̲͔̠̲͞

Agreed. I desperately wanted to resolve all the plotlines of all my favorite characters in the final season, not spend half the season dealing with this new character no one gives a shit about and is an insufferable one dimensional "tee hee I'm so ditsy" shitty actor.

Sonya is the best trekfu
>dat sultry voice

>It's a Troi gets possessed and this can somehow make her strong enough to break Worf's arm episode

Is there an in-canon reason for how this works? Because I'm sure it happened a lot.

Best meme race coming through.

I didn't know Cara Delevingne was on Star Trek.

I was expecting Nude Chicks in Star Trek uniforms for some reason ??

>nude
>in uniform
?

ok. Now what the hell is a 5 dimensional wedgie? Dont they have them all the time?

The biggest fuck up is the lack of memes. It's undeniable that Star Wars holds the lions share of dank, dripping, juicy bomb ass memes.

youtube.com/watch?v=oDAA2Ih4XAs&feature=youtu.be&t=20

>and Picard speaks nothing but French

STAHP IT

Stargate doesn't really ignore this issue though, at least not later on. They started to run with the idea that Earth's population is the bizarre outlier for being so overpopulated not the others for being small. See the Wraith interest in it as a feeding ground and some of Ba'al's dialogue in Continuum.

Part of it was that the low populations per planet was a consequence of Stargates. Cultures don't spread out far from the gates because it cuts them off. Groups like the Goa'uld and Wraith (or Aschen) also actively worked to keep populations manageable. The unsustainability of massive populations over thousands of years probably enters into it as well.

On several planets with no Stargate (or where it was recently found/kept secret) and unknown to the big bads, some populations did grow in an Earth-like way. Langara for instance had 3 continent-sized world powers and might easily have had a billion or more people.

Not that it was actually realistic or anything... the populations were too small even given all that stuff and the Stargates seemed to get used about once a month to bring in 10 guys who leave with maybe 100kg of whatever shit they mine there carried out by hand.

>vulcans are stronger than humans
>klingons are stronger than vulcans iirc
>worf gets his ass beaten the most easily
I get why they did it but goddamn did this shit get tiring.

>cast young ashley judd and put her in a skin tight leotard
>don't have her onscreen at least twice an episode
>don't have an episode where she goes to risa and wears a bathing suit

I just realized this but holy fuck is what he wearing stupid. What is that actually trying to accomplish?

Underrated post

WE ARE SHMART

it's like suspenders, but... gayer

>it's a Star Trek thread
>it's not shit
A return to form, Cred Forums. Good show.

Guinan's race is literally magic space gypsies.

It always bugged me how it's the future and they have all this tech but they still have stuff like waiters in ten forward. It's so mundane and not even really necessary, you could put a replicator at every table.

It annoys me the more and more I think about it how data couldn't modify his subroutines and shit to better interpret basic shit to improve his human response. Or how nobody ever told him that there is so much more to basic human interaction like body language that with a little experimentation he could over time learn the nuances of. I also have a mental picture of him fucking yar that is literally just him jack hammering her for 10 seconds or whatever before she screams at him to stop because he's so awkward at being human the average non android human virgin would be more proficient at sex.

All the hobbies and pursuits of people seem so boring. Tom Paris was the only cool one and no I don't mean that serial shit I mean building a hot rod in the holodeck. Why didn't people do shit like that? Shit I bet they could have all sorts of badass shit in the future but everyone is like "I've gotta go rehearse for dr crushers play" or some dumb shit. I mean some stuff is alluded to but it's not expanded upon enough.

To be fair the times he doesn't save the day is the times when wesley saves everyone so I'd rather have Picard do it

"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."

>It always bugged me how it's the future and they have all this tech but they still have stuff like waiters in ten forward. It's so mundane and not even really necessary, you could put a replicator at every table.

They have replicators everywhere, people come to Ten-Forward for the experience. It's like you can't wrap your mind around something so simple.

Christ, what an asshole.

>MY ASS IS THIRSTY

>All the hobbies and pursuits of people seem so boring.

>People going to holosuites and Pretending to be in a WWI battle is so boring.. now excuse me while I go out to buy the new Battlefield game with 6 million other people.

Remember it's the far future so what seems exciting to us is hum drum to them and vice versa.

Battle of Britain was WWII, and they clearly were having fun.

>O'Brien and Bashir play Warthunder in the Holosuit.jpg

randomly watched this one the other day. thought about fapping to it.

>not wearing a bald cap

>that video

fucking KEK

that fucking YTMND reference!

Everyone is always speaking their home language.

>sulu japanese
>uhura swazi
>Scotty gaelic
>spok vulcan
>checkov russian
>data 01010101010101

sometimes someone fucks with the translater and gives people funny accents.

This is the funniest scene in the entire series.

I liked that time in Star Trek IV when they go to the hospital and Bones is just absolutely disgusted by all of our 'modern' medicine. That was funny.

>Good god man! Drilling holes in his head isn't the awnser!

It's played for laughs, but McKoy basically burst in to the surgical theatre and said "Stop with your tested procedures at releasing pressure on this man's brain, who has suffered a concussion! Let me wave my technological wonder over his head! This will surely work!"

He got the facial expressions of both Data and Picard so right

>All the hobbies and pursuits of people seem so boring. Tom Paris was the only cool one and no I don't mean that serial shit I mean building a hot rod in the holodeck. Why didn't people do shit like that? Shit I bet they could have all sorts of badass shit in the future but everyone is like "I've gotta go rehearse for dr crushers play" or some dumb shit. I mean some stuff is alluded to but it's not expanded upon enough.
Humans in Star Trek have enlightenment values, it was people like O'Brien and Paris that don't care about high art that were the outliers. It probably has more to do with the Academy being so... academic, I guess. They're all fucking nerds. They really missed a chance with The Maquis being exactly like Starfleet in that regard.

How would you capture his distinct way of speaking in text form though?

>As globalization increases it's perfectly reasonable that we would end up using only a single language in the far future

it really absolutely isn't though

/thread

WHO IS MOVING NOW? AWNSER ME YOU WORM!

youtube.com/watch?v=CqqsL0EqASM

Finally find a website that speaks to you?

Same planet relatively recent ancestors. Genetically you are more similar to a flower than you would be to any alien, even if they looked and reproduced exactly like humans.

All Eurasians have 3 - 5% Neanderthal DNA
Australoids (Southern Indians, Melanesians, Aborigines) have 3 - 5% Neanderthal DNA and around 4 - 6% of DNA from Homo Devisonian, a cousin to Neanderthal that evolved from Homo Heidelbergensis.
And black people have 3% of their DNA coming from an unknown archaic hominid, possibly Homo Erectus.

So, Humans did mate with other hominids, and produce viable offspring.

A semite and a human can produce viable offspring. That is proof that man can breed with aliens.

The thousands dying could be explained by them just being colonies.

Wouldn't the prospect of going to another planet and getting a shit ton of land for yourself draw more than a couple thousand people tho?

>>data 01010101010101
fucking KEK

Ncc-1701 was pretty warship-like when you think about it, so was the b and c.

The only really fluffy peacy enterprise was the D

>some character of the week hacks Data
That shit irked me watching TNG. Isn't Data suppose to be a one of a kind android? Even he himself isn't too sure how he works for most of the show yet some fucker shows up and is able to disable him or turn him against the crew.

>star trek basic fuck ups

Here's one.
The entire premise of the show.

Like someone else said it was to prop up the illusion that this could actually be 'real' (obviously not but the show liked to be tongue in cheek about it)

Then it became a political issue and politicians who worried about reelection thought declassifying the program would be a scandal for them

>And why are there alien planets with real names, like Qonos, Romulus and Vulcan?
Because we can assume the people's perspective we're hearing this from (Riker, Picard, etc.) know the name for that planet

It's the same reason why Klingon is sometimes left untranslated. The listener knows the phrase.

>the people's perspective we're hearing this from (Riker, Picard, etc.) know the name for that planet
How can you learn the word if the UT changes it before you ever hear it?