Ring can only be destroyed in the fires of Mt. Doom

>Ring can only be destroyed in the fires of Mt. Doom
>Sauron knows this
>Doesn't seal the entrance
>There literally is a huge open door and a path designed so you can throw things into the lava

Why was this allowed?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Letters_of_J._R._R._Tolkien
youtube.com/watch?v=l3xc3b5taDg
lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_of_Orthanc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I prefer the fire of MF DOOM tbqhwy

If he knew Phrodo was trying to destroy the ring and sent those dementors to stop him, why didn't he just place some dementors as guards in front of the volcano?

>Frodo! We have to throw the ring into Mount essential plot device ominously named after its outward impression which also happens to distinguish it from the rest of mordor so much that we cannot possibly miss it!

Jesus christ hackson

Why didn't Elrond just fucking kill Isildur at Mt Doom?

>Sauron has guards at the door/sealed the entry
>Tolkien lets Fredo and Sam climb to the top and throw it in from there

bravo, see what you have accomplished?

Because Sauron was arrogant and complacent in thinking that anyone would want to destroy and not use it and also did not expect anyone to wander into Mordor willingly. Seeing as Frodo had to go through Shelobs lair to get into Mordor and the strokes of pure luck to make it through all that I can see why he would be arrogant and complacent though

Because like zombie or horror films nobody acts thinks/believably and are unaware of the tropes they fall into.

If I was a BigBad there would be layers and layers of shielding, countermeasures and redundant systems in place for when the Hero eventually shows up to fuck with me.

Don't know if you noticed, but Sauron posted a massive army at the the base of the mountain. But yeah, he should have least kept a few guards at the door when he moved the army to counter Aragorn.

>Why didn't Elrond just fucking kill Isildur at Mt Doom?
You never go full noldor

Why do you think a fucking volcano would need a door? It's a volcano.

Because they were related.

In the book, Frodo and Sam actually fell in with a bunch of orcs for a while iirc, so there were guards.

Elves are cucks

>m-muh Silmarils
Do not respond to Noldor posts
Report all Noldor posters

I always get a kick out of the fact that out of his multi-thousand year lifespan, it never occurred to him or any other elf to invent firearms. The only person who came close was Saruman.

because he knew the eagles would just fly through the space time continuum to make the plot work

This is going to be a good thread. I can tell already.

Were there any other ways into Mordor? Its far east border had no mountains right?

Wasn't this in the EC?

Indeed, the whole east part was full of farms

>tfw no Silmarillion film series
>ever

The volcano was active making constructing a door there impossible

>wanting a muh diversity version of LotR
please no

He was so obsessed with the pursuit of power that it was unthinkable to him that anyone would want to destroy the ring in the first place

I just saved you many hours watching this trilogy. no need to thank me

As fantastic as Jackson's vision is/was, he needs to fucking cool it with the artistic license.

Does he really need to delete four characters and add five that never existed in the story? No. Just tell the fucking story, goddamn.

It's a problem with things made by autistic people for other autistic people. When they try to market them to the broader public, it gets casualized and we end up disliking it or at the very least wishing it wasn't casual.

what is the black line?

I suppose no one could have predicted what would happen if the ring wasn't destroyed.
And Elrond sure wasn't going to risk total war with Men because he pushed their king into lava.

Okay, as winter is coming they head up to Forodwaith and head east.
They then pass by dale as an enormous easterling army siege Erebor.
Rohan is probably wiped out by saruman as they pass the Celduin.
Before they've reached gone south fo the sea of rhûn Minas Tirith is sieged, it falls ebfore they reach Ered Lihtui.
There they are crushed by nazguls, easterlings and orcs.

This desu

I believe it's the path that creator of that image would have taken

Not to mention they pass by Carn Dûm, Angmar and fucking Gundabad, stronghold of the orcs of gundabad, and the withered heath, breeding ground of the great wyrms

>passing Barad-dûr
Das cray

Because they were using the mountain as a convenient trash disposal unit.

Eh It's mentioned many times. Sauron does not consider the idea that someone would be able to destroy it instead of using it for themselves. Also no mortal is physically able to throw the ring in the fire by their own will.

That looks dumb. Wasn't Carn Dum like a fortress morgoth or something? Also in what state was erebor during the war of the ring? And then he goes trough a fucking desert.That looks like a really dangerous path to take, but again being born in middle-earth is a dangerous thing to do.

nice try

HOWEVER

Pirates

Yeah, those Arab pirates are super friendly.

>If he knew Phrodo was trying to destroy the ring
He didn't know this.

Sauron never even considered the possibility of someone attempting to destroy the Ring. He didn't think it was possible for someone to willingly throw away power.

Bruh, if you're going by sea, Grey Havens is right there.

Also, good luck getting past the Haradrim after beaching a big-ass boat on their shores.

use the eagles bro

because lord of the rings is a load of fucking shit and only loser plebs like it

Inconceivable that anyone would destroy the power.

>on Cred Forums
we're all pleb losers here user

Nazgul wyrms, yo.

Go make a faggy potter thread nigger.

Why didn't some dwarves just dig a tunnel to Mount Doom?

At this point, why not just hand off the Ring to Tom fucking Bombadil?

please stop this meme

1. Nazgul
2. Dragons
3. Bats
4. Eagles are assholes

>assholes
nah they're just not cucks

because he's a faggot

Because Isildur had a legitimate claim to the ring
He claimed it as weregild for Elendil

The eagles were perfectly fine with watching the world around their mountaintops burn because they figured they would be the last to be affected by Sauron's victory. But then they realized they were going to be fucked too, so they helped out at the last possible minute.

It's more like they won't help unless absolutely necessary, just like the magicians (in whose case it means not using their full power), as the gods ordered them

>Why was this allowed?
Because the good guys need to win this is a childrens story after all. Even though we all know only the bad guys win in real life.

Gorgoroth was the shitty part of mordor. A volcanic plain that was covered in slag heaps from saurons private factories.

is the Tolkein Edit of The Hobbit worth a watch? I don't think I'd ever watch that god forsaken trilogy again unless the edited version redeems it somehow

Didn't Tolkien spend his free time answering fan mail about alleged plot holes, only to accurately answer and disprove any that came up?

Actually the entire mordor was, but volcanic ash is pretty good for growing plants

for what i get elrond wasn't there and that scene was just for the movies

While it's true the eagles had a direct link to Manwe, Lord of Winds, their stance was literally, "Whatevs, there will still be critters to eat, right?"

Nurn was were Sauron kept his human slaves and made them till the ashen soil to feed his armies.

And technically he was right, since Frodo actually fails at the end and decides to keep the ring. Sauron was perfectly justified in assuming the ring wouldn't be destroyed, since it was a 1-in-a-million fluke that Gollum fell.

galadriel made it so.

>ring of power

>only gives you invisibility

whats so great about it anyways
why didnt sauron turn invisible when he was wearing it?

It was no fluke, God pushed him. Frodo got as far as any mortal could be expected to get, the rest was divine intervention by Eru.

>But then they realized they were going to be fucked too, so they helped out at the last possible minute.
They were the envoys of Manwe himself. The head of the pantheon in arda. The valar tied their hands when dealing with sauron and the ring because it was strictly a middle earth problem. The last time they went to war they accidentally a whole continent. They compromised by sending 5 maiar cloaked as the istari to help guide the people of middle earth.

The eagles delivering the hobbits were supposed to be a symbol that the strength required for the task was greater than their physical ability. At the end of it all it required a spiritual strength as well.

fucken link it then if you're so informed

Why? All the same bullshit that comes from Frodoposting is the same type of asinine "plot holes" Tolkien was answering.

not him but that would be an extremely interesting read, is it archived somewhere?

Worst plan, easily spotted and Sauron has aerieal superiority.

Yes and it has the best song

"Where there's a whip there's a way"

He expected an assault. Not some faggy hobbits

I believe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Letters_of_J._R._R._Tolkien

Has some of what I said, but I also believe there was some sort of website that specifically had the ones answering fans' criticisms. I can't find it at the moment, though.

Who is this handsome lad?

>The chief power (of all the rings alike) was the prevention or slowing of decay (i.e. 'change' viewed as a regrettable thing), the preservation of what is desired or loved, or its semblance – this is
>more or less an Elvish motive. But also they enhanced the natural powers of a possessor

It does different things to the various people that wear it, and it enhances their own natural abilities. What's odd is that Isildur was also able to turn invisible, as we learn when he's escaping the orcs in the river and it slips off his finger.

No. The areas surroundin nurn were green and fertile farmlands

Whatever happened to those two blue fuckers anyway?

Just finished the Silmarillion a few days ago

Is it worth reading The Children of Hurin even though I know what happens?

It was divine intervention, but not the way you think.

Eru created Melkor, who recruited Sauron, who created the One Ring, the power of which corrupted the souls of two mortal beings who momentarily struggled for its possession over the pit of molten magma from which it was forged.

Personally yes. Its far more detailed and fleshed out even if the outcome is the same

Someone said in yesterday's thread that, while they remained nameless, they went eastward and basically started a cult around themselves that gathered a large Easterling following, and had they not, Sauron's Easterling forces would have been exponentially stronger than it was, so the blues still played a helpful role in the War for the Ring.

>melkor created sauron

ITT: NERDS!

Read it again.

Yes. It makes the hopelessness seem so much bleaker.

Yes, and?

Did Hackson ever explain why he made Smaug a Wyvern instead of a Dragon? That still relentlessly triggers me every time I watch that better-than-expected Bilbo/Smaug scene.

Maybe it couls lead to some Elf-Human war? Pretty sure some humans would find it suspicious thst their king just tripped and fell into lava with an Elf hanging around.

Especially when that king is literally semi-divine and the definition of Ubermensch.

Be sure to read the Unfinished Tales as well, or Morgoth will smash you with his hammer.

the thumbnail looks like jar jar

This

Elrond and Isildur were related by blood. Isildur was also semi-divine.

In this ridiculously long behind the scenes video, they spend nearly a full hour talking about the design process for Smaug.

youtube.com/watch?v=l3xc3b5taDg

The short answer to your question is that they went through countless "traditional dragon" designs until somebody thought it'd be neat for Smaug to be able to walk on his wing-hands like a bat because it'd somehow be more menacing or expressive, so they went in that direction. They didn't seem to be very concerned about the dragon vs. wyvern thing.

It's disappointing because a lot of the other smaug concepts are really interesting and more in-line with his traditional look.

So yeah, kinslayer and demigod slayer. Not the best reputation for Elrond to obtain.

Not to mention Isildur probably could have pushed Elrond's shit in if he tried anything cheeky.

>Exsqueeze me, but why yousa readin dis in meesa voice?

Not to be spoonfed, but do you know at about what point the start Smaug-design? I'm at work and can't watch and/or listen to all five hours.

>"Oy Vey, Mr Jackson, we've been hearing rumours you plan to make the Hobbit in two parts and not three?"
"Yes, it's a short childrens book"
>"Oy Gevalt, what a holocaust, Mr Jackson, we are missing out on a third film worth of shekels here"
"It'll be hard to make the source material last two films, let alone 3"
>"A shoah, right here in my office, remember the 2 billion, Mr Jackson, we demand you make stuff up, invent new characters, show popular characters from Lord of the Rings, lots and lots of CGI"
"Yes, my chosen one"
>"One last thing you Goy animal, we hear the dragon has 4 legs... it only needs 2 to walk, many shekels will be saved"

I dunno, thousands of years fighting orcs and other beasts might have given Elrond an edge in such a confrontation.

kek

The eyes being the window to the soul, Jar Jar is terrifying

The first hour is all about Smaug, but the particular bit about his bat-wings starts at around 40 minutes

It's funny because the Lord of the rings trilogy almost didn't get made because of the production company's refused to make it into a trilogy but a single or two films

Also, rewatching it now, it turns out it was Jackson himself who just arbitrarily decided Smaug would look cooler with 2 legs

He literally says he likes "that kind of dragon" better. The man was completely unaware of the difference between dragons and wyverns and just went with it for purely stylistic purposes.

now I'm triggered too

Didn't the first dragon ever created not even have wings

Who gives a fuck nigga.Smaug was big and scary in the film ,that's all that matters

Yeah, I'm also watching right now.

I largely blamed production for many of The Hobbit's failings but fucking Jackson wasn't as blameless as I thought.

That cunt would lose it.

Yeah, the first dragon was pretty much just a big terrestrial lizard

Smaug did work in the movie and people liked him so I guess it's only a big deal to autists like me, I can accept it. Just rewatched the movies last week and found them enjoyable enough.

Yeah, it's kind of a depressing behind-the-scenes to watch because it's so obvious how they didn't have their shit together at all and were basically rushing the movie to production, instead of crafting something with care like LOTR. You can tell Jackson was in full "fuck it, we need to get this done" mode.

dumping map in case we get more retarded route planners

I think that's movie only

o shit senpai

I thought this pasta had been lost

This is stated in the books too, I'm almost positive. Wagecuck though, so I can't review right now.

Why didn't Gandalf just dodge the Balrog whip?

I would've just dodged it, fucking idiot.

Oh, I meant about Isildur turning invisible. You're right about the natural abilities.

More Middle-Earth memes please

Also I started reading the Silmarrillion recently. Some interesting stuff, but I haven't touched it in awhile and the library will probably want it back soon. Should I power through it?

I'm only twenty minutes into that extra behind-the-scenes but the designs of dragon Smaug look SIGNIFICANTLY better than the finalized one. I mean, they had the concept art of pretty much movie Smaug with actual front legs and it looked incredible. God dammit, Peter.

Why are the Valar such cunts?

Late Second Age Sauron > End of First Age Morgoth

This

Some of the later chapters of the Silmarillion are worth it.it also ties in nicely to tlotr

>bats

The war-bats?

Worst part is the team had been designing Smaug for so long and they were almost done with him and Peter just goes
>what if he only has 2 legs?
when they have like 2 months left to sort it out

Smaug wasn't even finished in time for the first movie so they just showed you little glimpses of his tail and stuff, because his design literally was not finished in time for the film.

>I would've just dodged it, fucking idiot.
I wish I had some lotr-themed laughing reaction images for this post.

>you will never live in arda and see all its wonders

Spy bats

Don't forget also, Gandalf says that Sauron uses beasts as spies. Birds would've spotted them instantly. Or anybody looking up at the sky, come to think of it.

Wasn't he actually shown with four-legs in one of the movies before they made the change? I thought that was a big part of the controversy because Hackson had to go back and Lucas the legs out too.

Yeah, in the theatrical release he still had his normal dragon-legs and they had to change it later for the blu-ray

They were literally just hoping nobody would catch it

spicy

Why didn't Fredo take the ring further away from Mount doom?

*in An Unexpected Journey, that scene where he sacks Erebor

Because then Sauron wouldn't die and middle earth would be fucked?

Remember, in fellowship? They go on about what to do with the ring and come to the conclusion that it has to be destroyed.

Otherwise they could have just thrown it in the ocean or something.

Yes, Sauron's victory was inevitable if the Ring wasn't destroyed, the only variable was time.

Pretty much.

This is also why, in the book, the White Council ruled out giving the ring to Bombadil.

In his defense, he made it close enough for chance to do the rest.

Now I'm certain Isildur turned invisible in the books. He is escaping the orcs in the river after getting his shit pushed in, the ring slips off and they arrow him properly.

Yeah, I don't fault Frodo for it. He pushed himself to the utmost limit of what he could do. He's still a hero in my mind, nobody else could have made it that far.

One thing I like about LOTR is that the message of "having hope" isn't just used as a platitude. It's actually saying that if you never give up until the last moment there's always a little wiggle-room for God/Fate/whatever to set things right. Much better than how most stories handle "hope".

Thats s comfy image

>not using the eagles to safely fly to the mountain and drop it in

Why?

should have just covered the top of Mt.Doom with cling film to catch the ring

If Frodo is able to turn invincible how come the ringwraiths could hurt him? Fix your shit Hackson!

>Sauron puts a huge portion of his power into the One Ring in a plot to control the elves via the other rings
>the elves immediately recognize what is happening and take of the rings, instantly ruining Sauron's plot

Is Sauron actually kind of retarded?

Because it dwarfs any conception you have of an active volcano. Amon Amarth.

He looks so much better with wings than that 4 legged bullshit

I will never understand how anyone can prefer a dragon with 4 legs AND wings. Just looks so dumb

>sends an army of werewolves to die
>realises its huan and the prophecy that only the goatest dog can kill him
>turns into a dog to fight him
>gets rekt

Yeah, he's incredibly autistic

That honestly scared the shit out of me.

I liked the movie version of radagast.

Because that's what a dragon is. Walking with hundreds legs and wings is a wyvern.

*hind, not hundreds

How did Smaug know that Thorin had obtained the surname Oakenshield? Did he have spybats akin to Sauron or is that Hackson at it again?

This is some retarded Cred Forums meme at this point though

There is no official term for a wyvern or a dragon, they are just seperate names for the same things.

A dragon/wyvern can have 4 legs or two and its still a dragon which is a fantasy creature.

Dont tell me you are this dumb?

So what does that make glaurung then genius

Uruloki?

Anyone else liked the LoTR version of the wargs better than the Hobbit ones?
They just looked scarier.

Oversized iguana.

actually it was cause animators are hacks and they can copy Bat movements instead of coming up with something original

Almost every artistic and design motif is better in LotR than in The Hobbit.

i had not planned to cry today..

YOUSA TINKIN DISN A JOKE?

There are (in Tolkien's lore) wingless (Glaurung) and four legged, winged (Ancalagon the Black) dragons. In my opinion, making him two legged was too great a liberty on Hackson's part.

It's not just an autistic distinction, it's the source material.

>destroy it!
>'no'
turned it off

>Valar send the 5 wizards to guide Men to victory against Saurman
>2 immediately fuck off and do nothing, 1 rolls around with some animals uselessly, 1 actually works with Saurman against Men, and only 1 actually tries to do his fucking job

Why are all the plans of the deities in LotR so terrible?

So if there are wingless dragons why cant there be a "wyvern"

Because Sauron thought that lure of the Ring's power ensured that nobody would be willing to destroy it.

Its destruction was intentionally ironic. The ring was destroyed by the greed of Gollum who couldn't resist letting it go. Frodo and Gollum had a struggle and gravity did the rest.

>when you realise the eternal noldor is behind all of middle earth's ills

Because it's an unnecessary addition to the source material and a change for the worse of an established character. Smaug was explicitly described as a dragon. Tolkien dragons are winged with four legs or wingless. They are not wyverns.

It was destroyed by God though.
It shows that man will always have a capacity for evil and greed, and only divine intervention can ultimately overcome it in it's entirety.

>when you realise radagast represents the natural world, saruman the scientific world and gandalf the social world
way cooler than the usual 'elements' wizards represent

Naming the correct species is serious fucking business

Nobody wins in real life, user.

I like to make a distinction in fantasy, between monsters and species.
Treating something like a dragon as a biological species ruins the magic and thematic importance of it, and instead I see it as a monster, constrained much less by rules.

What do the blue wizards represent? What was even the point of them?

How big was Ancalagon?

Would Uruk-hai have been more effective soldiers if they had better rations than just moldy bread?

>What do the blue wizards represent? What was even the point of them?
Don't know really. I think Tolkien just liked keeping the south and east mysterious, so sending these two wizards we know next to nothing about there only furthered this atmosphere.

I wonder what Sauron ate?
Do you think he ate meals with his generals too? Maybe the ringwraiths?

I wonder if he planned any books for those areas...that would be fun

Wyverns are literally dragons though

This is all fan terms

You can fuck off with your headcanon

Glaurung literally doesnt fall into any of these criteria

No, it was destroyed by petty greed and lust for more power.

Frodo failed at the most critical moment.

It was pure happenstance that it fell into the only place where it could melt.

Samwise (one of the only two beings that never succumb to Ring) did the final stretch of the journey for Frodo. He would have drop it too if it didn't feel that the Ring was Frodo's burden not his.

Does Sauron need to eat?
Isn't he an immortal angel?

Who is the second beside Samwise?

>It was pure happenstance that it fell into the only place where it could melt.
Except it wasn't. It was God literally intervening to toss Golum into the fire, putting and end to the ring since no one could possibly do it.

From a quick googling hes just a fuckhuge drake

Dragons are fantasy creatures. for all you know drakes and dragons are no different

The spiritual world, I guess? Since they went east and founded cults around themselves. Who knows.

It's always seemed weird to me that Tolkien made them both blue. I always imagined they operated as a team or something. It's also a nice touch in the movie that Gandalf says he can't remember their names.

Across fantasy the term 'Drake' is for either a young male dragon or one without wings

>I know fuckall about the lore but I'm going to enter the conversation and post aggressively anyway

Fuckhuge, but never specified how fuckhuge. It's said that when he died he ruined the peaks of a few mountains, but it's not clear if that was literal or not.

I like to imagine that he could use Minas Tirith as a perch.

Tom Bombadil

Any author can decide whatever the fuck they want to call their dragon's

Movie smaug, skyrim dragon's, and GoT dragons all have two legs but are all still dragons because thats what the author/director decided.

Stop being so retarded

So was there anyone alive at the time of lotr on saurons powerlevel? What's stopping them from making their own rings?

It's not about nomenclature, you stupid fuck. It's that this is how Tolkien set his taxonomy for dragons up. He was very specific, and Jackson took the liberty of changing it when it didn't need to be. Just like how he adds love interests and Legolas to the Hobbit, etc.

Insert image of Trump laughing at McCain for being a loser veteran that got caught

>Not having laughingelf.jpg saved to your hard drive
Son, i am disappoint

Thank God he did too, 4 legs would have looked laughable

you can speak, hypocrite

Based nasmith

Galadriel, Durins Bane, Saruman, Gandalf, possibly Elrond and the ents. Saurons pretty weak physically, even Isildur was capable of defeating him.

Why not just destroy his little dumb tower, or just kill off all of his orcs. Why is this ring so important. Just place a garrison of men at that place after you cleansed the earth and keep killing him if he respawns.

Because not sure if I get the lore, but loads of magics stuffs has been sealed in that ring and elves die if the ring dies too and magic things die too?

You fucking faggot retard fuck off with your "its fantasy so i can call it thundercock for all i like hurr durr" fucking goon, theres still guidelines that exist across all western-based fantasy

Glaurung had four legs but also slithered like a snake the absolute mad cunt

>applying logic to LOTR

please go

>It was pure happenstance that it fell into the only place where it could melt.
Wrong. Gollum violated the oath he swore on the ring itself to keep frodo safe, and not to try and take the ring for himself. Frodo warns him that swearing on the ring is dangerous since its a treacherous artifact. When gollum breaks his oath there is an immediate retribution in the form of falling into the lava.

Swearing an oath in middle earth is srs bsns. They explicitly state this during riddles in the dark in the hobbit, boromir in fellowship, the army of the dead in return of the king, and of course the doom of the noldor and ban of the valar in the silmarillion. Its literally a thing.

Tom doesnt count. In any conversation/ scenario where you can use tom, don't.

They were all weaker. And isildur was in a battle royale with several other higher beings against sauron

>Implying im not shitposting from my phone over lunchbreak

So you're saying its impossible to keep two hobbits out of a volcano? Maybe Sauron should have looked at every possibility before having committed to a plan...

>It's fantasy so suddenly structure and proper lore-defined nomenclature doesn't matter

kek get fucked retard

So the ring commits suicide by fucking over Gollum and making him fall into the lava? Thats pretty retarded on the sneaky rinds part

No. Its IMPOSSIBLE to willingly destroy the ring (bar tom).

It doesnt matter if you can get into sammath naur the fact is you wont be able to do shit, this is fact and sauron knew it

>the "logic can't exist in fantasy" cop out

>Why not just destroy his little dumb tower, or just kill off all of his orcs.

They'd have to get heavy siege equipment past Sauron's army, which was enormous. They explicitly say in the movie that they don't have enough men to fight the orcs head to head.

who?

nice

Barad dur was built using the power of the ring and is held up by saurons sheer will. it cant be destroyed while the ring/sauron exist

You mean exactly what they did after the war of the last alliance? Because it didn't work. Minas ithil was made by the men of gondor to watch over mordor to make sure no one could set up shop. Several costly wars, kin slayings, and plagues weakened gondors might until these outposts could no longer be maintained, at whick point the witch king moved in and took it as his own while sauron covertly moved into mirkwood under the guise of the necromancer and slowly built up his power base.

When he returned to mordor literally the first thing he did was rebuild barad dur from its indestructible base.

The might of the elves had been diminishing since the second age, and the lines of numenor were sundered and would have been lost entirely if not for elrond fulfilling his family oath (hes the brother of the first numenorean). This was literally the final moment in history that the free people of middle earth could have resisted, and even then victory was only possible by destroying the ring. As long as it existed sauron's power could not diminish because it was an anchor of sorts. Sauron did not need the ring to win. The first wave of attacks was just an expiditionary force, and that nearly crushed lorien, the lonely mountain, and gondor. The force they faced at moranon was a hundred times larger than what assaulted gondor.

During the grey council aragorn tells those that followed him that they were marching headlong into the gates of hell with no hope for victory unless frodo succeded in his task.

Does Sauron know that the ring can be destroyed at Mt Doom?

Basically the ring plays itself. It was too tracherous for its own good. But when gandalf let gollum escape he tells frodo that he had an important role yet to play. The mercy shown by bilbo and later frodo is what delivers them from evil. Think of it as fate being a tricky motherfucker.

Yes. But no one can destroy it

Please spoonfeed me like the retarded baby I am, what lotr books should I read and in what order?

I read The Hobbit about a decade ago, and as I recall it's like a little over 100 pages so I'll go read that one again I guess.

I started on Fellowship and never got through it (I was a young turd and libraries demanded things back in 2 weeks).

Also, any good audiobooks of the series?

I would imagine yes, as the ring's creator he must know everything about it. Gandalf knew, Sauron himself must have known.

Wre the Pelennor fields really not a steppe in the books?

>audiobooks
Absolutely Disgusting

Just read the Trilogy and then the Hobbit again.
If you don't read a lot of fantasy then definitely read LotR first. It is the gold standard of the genre and establishes so many of the tropes common in fantasy literature today.
Most people suggest the Silmarillion after that, and then Children of Hurin.

They were very fertile farmlands dotted with cottages, farms, and small towns inside the surrounding wall of rammas echor. They fed the fortress of minas tirith.

why was Elrond so butt hurt about Isildur failing to destroy the ring when he himself wouldn't have been able to do it if he was in the same situation?

pls

Sounds like a plan, thanks user

Moving the goalposts

Because he didn't even try. He told elrond to go fuck himself and that he was going to keep it for himself. Since he defeated sauron he had the right to keep it as his own.

>The hobbit
>Lotr (get past the first chapter and its smooth sailing)
>children of hurin
>lay of leithan (poem of beren)
>Silmarillion (difficult for some)
>Unfinished tales (difficult for some)
>maps of arda (canonised by chris tolkien, if you want)
>letters of tolkien (if you want to)

Read all of them and you'll be a tolkien wizard

Because he had put his hopes in men. If he didn't believe islidur could destroy the ring, they just would've not gone to mount doom and figured out some other way to destroy the ring.

bombadil does nothing but get high in his old forest and doesn't are about the ring or the affairs of middle earth

Start with lotr

what is she anyways ?

she is the good version of sauron ?

Well thats kinda lame, if I was the humans, I would make a giant sign, out of stone that says "only fags make their base here" and then watch the fag struggle to find a suitable base elsewhere, because he dares not to make a base there.

Awesome, thanks user

Will do

>Jackson planned for Aragorn to fight Sauron and have Sauron defeat him by stepping on him then Aragorn stabs Sauron's foot
>pic related
P O T T E R Y

Care*

Sam could've done it.

Dies becoming a tilkien wizard help you get laid?

Why can't they have some meats instead of just their usual maggoty bread?

it would certainly ruin the relations between humans and elves
>b-b-but he was just trying to save the middle earth
humans wouldn't believe him because no one saw what happened

Thorin was there when Smaug took Erebor.

>Kin slaying
>how does it work?

We know the Hobbit is shit, but what is your least favorite Jackson buttfuckery in LotR?

It's minor, but I get triggered everytime I watch the Saruman/Gandalf scene where Saruman scolds Gandalf for being too influenced by the Hobbits' DUDE WEED LMAO, when Tolkien explicitly noted that pipeweed was a tobacco-esque substance, not a drug.

He wasn't oakenshield then. He got that name dyring the goblin wars at the gate of moria when he slew azog.

Which ones are the two towers?
I assume the one in mordor is one but what is the other one? Saruman's lair?

Someone explain why literally everything tolkien related is so fucking comfy even this shitty thread

What is it about middle earth and are there any other lore rich books?

Minas tirith being saved by ghosts instead of humans led by their rightful king

I believe they used the power of mount doom for other things. I was a forge

Baradur and Isengard
Yeah, spooky ghosts Deus Ex Machina was pretty bad.

yes sarumans tower

>Tolkien came up with the title under deadline pressure and later expressed dissatisfaction with it. In letters and one sketch he considered several possible sets of towers, including Minas Tirith and the Barad-dûr, and even the possibility of leaving the matter ambiguous. However, he eventually settled on Orthanc and Minas Morgul and wrote a note to this effect which appears at the end of most editions of The Fellowship of the Ring. He also produced a final cover illustration showing these towers, but the publisher decided not to use it in order to save money on the production costs.

No its minas morgul and orthanc. Barad dur doesn't come into account

Suaron Like Donad Trump was an arrogant narcissist believed that no man could best him and no man could. However the powerful and true leader that bested him was in fact no man at all but a woman.

the food in the shire.

First Breakfast,
Beorn 's Honey Nut Cake served with Bilbo's Orange Marmalade. Coffee and teas.
Strawberry and Banana French Toast with Sausage and Bacon.
Merry's Mulled Cider.
Elven Lembas Bread.
Po-Tay-To Onion Soup.
Bilbo's Tea Cake.
Lavender and Lemon Muffins. Tea.
Balin's Spiced Beef.

Hillary is the Witch King.

Rings of Power Ain’t free. The land of Middle Earth gotta be litterd with the blood of Uruk-hai. Eru Ilúvatar is not my god. he is Istari gommunist and probbaly elvish as well :DD. MELKOR and arda not eru and ARDA ok. praise Morgoth.

oh shit

LotR threads are basically shitposter repellent compared to the rest of 2016 Cred Forums. IASIP threads are usually pretty good too.

>Morgoth
is he even mentioned in lotr? haven't read it in ages

Yeah I'd love to see idris elba as Hurin and Morgan Freeman as Fingolfin, you fucking retard.

>take bucket
>walk into Mordor
>fill bucket with Mt Doom lava
>walk back to the Shire
>throw the ring into the lava bucket

>tfw you will never be Tuor
>tfw you will never marry one of the most beautiful elves ever
>you will never sail into the west along with your qt elf waifu

Either the ghost army or the elves at Helm's deep. Probably the latter.

I think he's namedropped once or twice, but I can't remember for sure.

kek

fpbp

Yeah I distinctly remember Gandalf saying "Morgoth" but can't remember the context. Might be when he's telling them about the Balrog.

Why was Hackson so autistic about Arwen?
>muh lovestory
in the book Aragorn marries her like no biggie and she's mentioned 5 times max

Liv Tyler was also nowhere near beautiful enough to play who is supposed to be basically an embodiment of beauty. Every other LotRgirl BTFO of her

I don't even think he's mentioned desu only Gandalf, Galadriel, Celeborn, Elrond and Sauron can possibly know who he is anyway

I think he's just alluded to.

Going by this there would be nobody beautiful enough to play her

This. Mary Sue Sam was basically immune.

>lave melts bucket

Nice try, dickhead.

He says it in Moria

>It was a Balrog of Morgoth

He also says this

>'Other evils there are that may come; for Sauron is himself but a servant or emissary. Yet it is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule.

They could make a bucket out of the stones and dirt of mount doom, those seem pretty immune.

Is the part in the extended cut where a nazgul with a foul beast breaks Gandalf's staff by looking at it like it's nothing a thing in the books?

Because Elrond would've been tempted to keep it and would've done more damage with it.

Letting Isludr fuck off with it was actually the smart move at that point. The more powerful you are, the more it corrupts. That's why they gave it to a manlet in the first place.

>Some user make a usual bait thread
>Turn into Victorian Gentlemen book club

Didn't know Cred Forums can be this Based, God bless you all so comfy

My whole point is that Hackson ruined Tolkein's work with his artistic faggotry.

Why are you fags so salty? Do you simply find enjoyment in pissing yourselves off?

I think she was fine enough in that regard, the problem was that they tried to expand on it, probably to get female viewers more interested or the whole thing seem more motivated or whatever.

Whoever played her would probably lead to some bitching anyways.

No, the witch king is just about to enter the city (on a horse, if I recall correctly), he's confronting Gandalf, but at that moment the Rohirrim arrives and he fucks off to take care of them.

na, Gandalf at this point > Nazgul

That's a Hackson invention.

These threads happen pretty much daily and are always generate good discussion, stop around more nigger

Oh, I see.
It seemed kinda bullshit to me so I'm glad.

Wow I actually never considered that he wouldn't think anyone would destroy something so powerful, neat way to look at it.

Alright. The Hobbit films were shit, but can we all agree that the scene where we get to see the Nazgul in their armor was amazing? I was shaking in my seat in the theatre out of hype when they appeared, all with the different armors of their kingdoms. Pure cinematic kino.

>he's confronting Gandalf, but at that moment the Rohirrim arrives and he fucks off to take care of them.

Actually the Witch King was out in the field and was just getting ready to start fighting Theoden. Gandlaf was leaving the city when he was stopped by Merry to help deal with Denethor. Gandalf later implies that he might have been able to prevent Theoden's death if he were able to ride out and confront the Witch King.

>Hackson

There are a lot of small things in the hobbit trilogy that I like, it's just that the end product is so awful.

>tfw listening to the fanmade unabridged audiobook with music from the film, sound effects, and voices for each character

>He prefers rap about bitches n' hoes over rap about witches n' trolls

Come on my numen.

Don't wear the ring

Even earlier Gandalf. In the first book he beats back all 9 at Weathertop which makes the scene even more ridiculous.

Hi mc chris, how's Lazzo treating you?

Looks like the Venture Compound

Boii

Orcs made out of paper tissue ruined the movie and every little good thing it had.
I think it was an issue with the lotr movies too I guess though.

>In rode the Lord of the Nazgul [...] all fled before his face. All save one. There waiting, silent and still in the space before the Gate, sat Gandalf upon Shadowfax.
[...]
And in that very moment, away behind in some courtyard of the city, a cock crowed. [...] And as if in answer there came from far away another note. Horns, horns, horns.

>(The Battle of the Pelennor Fields)
>He [witch-king] left the gate and vanished.

Granted, you are correct that Pippin stops Gandalf from passing through the gate to help with Denethor.

Why is everyone on this board autistic?

So is Gandalf, and he downs all the food, wine and tobacco he can get his hands on.

That is fucking beautiful prose

Melkor did nothing wrong.

Easily Sauron's depiction as a gigantic eyeball. Was it really just because the only description of him you get is that he has an eye?

He should have been a horrible enigmatic blackness brooding in the dark tower, and while his eyes should be the only thing we ever see clearly, they could have been shown as hideous fire colored or burning eyes shown only in a few scenes where he peers down at Mordor from his tower, or further places with the Palantir. Making anyone he's looking at extremely uncomfortable or afraid.

I thought The Hobbit's Sauron was a much better representation.

Why don't you fedoralords just read about real history instead of fake gay elf history? Hundreds of different wars, battles, cultures, fortresses to read about and you choose to learn about made-up shit instead.

Shaking My Head

Tolkien History is infinitely better than our own history.

It's like pottery.

Why are you even on Cred Forums? Do you wanna talk about the latest Neil deGrasse Tyson pop science explainumentary instead, you fucking faggot?

Here's something related to your image but sadly of a much smaller resolution.

He does his best to fit in with and understand the rudimentary beings he is tasked with protecting.

This.

Gunpowder doesn't exist in middle earth.

Well there's this
lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_of_Orthanc

>Implying sauron wasn't a bishonen tranny before the valar dropped a continent on his ass

>Mary Sue Sam
Fuck you. The entire story is Sam's heroes journey. He, more than anyone else, shows the most character growth.

Twink sauron is my fetish