Would the press compress the water inside that cylinder at all...

Would the press compress the water inside that cylinder at all? If we assume that there is no way for the water to go between the piston and the cylinder towards out.

Other urls found in this thread:

thefabricator.com/article/waterjetcutting/what-you-need-to-know-about-high-pressure-equipment
livescience.com/1385-scientists-ice-hotter-boiling-water.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice#Phases
xkcd.com/1561/
iaintclickinthatshitnigga.org
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_demon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

yes, ever heard of neutron stars you mong?

No

yes. Reduce the grahams number to 1 lb and the answer would still be yes.

Water is effectively incompressible.

I think the ram shaft compresses and expands until you run out of stroke

it would compress into ice

The kind with or without cinnamon? Oh, do you mean the fudge covered ones?

You would get something called hot ice.

This

Fluids are not compressable

What would happen is the water particles near next to the piston would leave their atomic configuration and bind into the atomic structure of the piston. Effectively, the mass of the water would quickly turn into whatever material the piston is made out of. This is because the pressure is high enough to break the gluon bond of the quarks that make up the neutrons and protons of the water.

the water would compress into a black hole and either consume the entire object, or the black hole would instantly evaporate from Hawking radiation. It depends on the volume of water.

I want to believe you but I'm not sure about that.

Could you elaborate, user?

you're an absolute moron if you think water is absolutely incompressible. kys faggot. normally, a middle schooler would know this, but you're probably a 20 year old american high on weed right now.

>thefabricator.com/article/waterjetcutting/what-you-need-to-know-about-high-pressure-equipment
>Water is a liquid that usually is regarded as being incompressible, which is a good approximation at most ordinary pressures. However, at the high pressures needed to drive an abrasive jet, water compresses up to 11 percent. Figure 1shows the percentage compression of water at pressures up to 100,000 PSI.

What the fuck? Can someone confirm this please?

How much I have to elaborate depends on how much you already know. Do you know what quarks, gluons, and the strong nuclear force are?

It would compress but not by much

My guess is Graham's # is big enough to turn the whole contraption into a black hole.

Fucking hell man. So what does that means? Does the water inside that pressure loses it's composition and properties? Is it solid inside the pressure or is it still water but under pressure?

It turns solid because the molecules can no longer move

Essentially you'd have ice with a temperature higher than boiling

Confirmed

Well you can imagine a gas being compressed, can't you - more molecules per volume. The exact same process can happen with anything really, you just have to apply much more force to be able to measure a notable change.

Wouldn't something that weighs Graham's number have insane gravity and fuck up the solar system?

That's wrong though?

Bullshit. "Unbreakable" has no atomic configuration.

Ice XVI

Fixed

livescience.com/1385-scientists-ice-hotter-boiling-water.html

First the water particles would leave their decompressible state - this is a transformation known as "vand". Once in the van they would be interrogated about their history and children theey may have had contact with before, and after the experience they are in. If they admit to any crimes they will be permanently stripped of water citizenship and never allowed back into the piston. If they clam up they have a chance, expesically if they can affrod a good lawyer.

This is the kind of time it sucks to be a water particle - if you're fucked you basicaly have to go for ap lea bargain. You may have to admit to having being child gay with hydrogen, or oxygin, or both. But you'll get of lighter.. ie, you might get out before you die.
\
THat's normal for water in nuclear experiments. Now how about the water that you drink from the tap? How do you think that feels?

Yup

/thread

You can't compress water.

Absolutely nothing would happen. Nothing would move.

indeed it is wrong liquids are not as compresible as gas but you can compress it a little bit

just try to fill a needleless syringe with water and push it with your finger blocking the exit youd prolly manage to push the piston a little bit

the big crunch

the gravity of the press would be so huge that all spacetime would collapse onto it

isn't gravity proportional to mass and not to force?

m = f/a

unless that press is gaining speed at uncountable speeds-of-light per instant, itd have to be pretty massive to exert that much

the water would become ice

Why would the water compress to ice when ice has a higher volume than water

Depends what the piston is made out of.
If it's made of atoms that are immovable then the oxygen and hydrogen atoms would just slip past the atoms of the piston and cylinder since the extreme pressure inside the cylinder would outweigh the electromagnetic repulsion of the cylinder and piston walls.
If the piston and cylinder were made out of some kind of impermeable immovable substance then the water would compress down into a plasma, nothing but neutrons, and then into a black hole.

The big bang

there are more ice-forms than we know on earth. for example ice vii and ice x which only can build up under high pressure

those particles aren't massive enough to become a black hold nice try tho.
It would decay away so fast all you would see is an explosion

But when water freezes it expands

Well as far as we know god said: There shall be grahams number of tons pressure on that water" without implied mass.
Of course that's not applicable, but take a close look at the scenario and tell me what of it is.

So if I stretch water, it will turn in to ice?

go to / sci /

>and that's the numbah of ARROWS

1. The water would instantly become a black hole because it gets compressed past its Schwarzschild radius.
2. The black hole would almost instantly evaporate entirely due to hawking radiation.
3. The thermal heat would turn the hydraulic press into a plasma state
4. You are now left with a molten press weighing granams number.

>would the press compress the water
No. The weight on top of the press would collapse into a singularity and suck the water in. The singularity would compress the water.

>Unbreakable piston
>Unbreakable cylinder

Also, only the iron is heavy enough to become a black hole.

if you're still there, I know gluons by name only.
Quarks are the particles inside atom nucleus either up up down for protons and down down up for neutrons.
The strong nuclear force is the force binding quarks together. It gets stronger the farther quarks are apart.

Only normal ice. There are actually 12 different ways that water forms ice depending on temperature and pressure.

It wouldn't just heat up the press lol
you would have and explosion larger than any nuke we have ever detonated
It would be as powerful as an atom bomb times 20

Actually no, ice under pressure would 'melt', but you need very raise the pressure very high, compared to raising the temperature.
Interesting phenomenon, pic related.

meant for

Remember that jell-o with fruit in it from school lunch?
Imagine the fruit chunks are quarks, then the jell-0 would be the gluon field. The "gluon" observed independently was just a small chunk of the gluon field isolated in an artificial vacuum in a particle accelerator.

Normal ice is the only kind that forms under relatively natural conditions. The other 11 are irrelevant to this situation.

>218 atmospheres
Ice VII takes like 100,000 and is solid at room temperature.

But I think he means that the press is in a stable state weighing 1 gn

It wouldn't "Melt" the term you are looking for is called sublimate
when it goes from a solid state straight to a gaseous state

So the water can be at 370°C and still be liquid? If an atmospheric pressure is 218.

>The other 11 are irrelevant to this situation.
>relatively natural conditions
>Graham's number of tons worth of pressure

Water reverts to a solid given enough pressure, regardless of temperature.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice#Phases

ok, thanks.
I have a question, user-sensei-sama-kun:
if the pressure is strong enough to break the gluon bond, how would the quarks bond to the piston material?
or I you mean that they would do so after the pressure let up, wouldn't they go back to becoming hydrogen and free neurons?

>gaseous
I was talking about solid -> liquid
Correct, any higher and you can't distinguish between liquid and gaseous.

Fuck. I barely know anything about physics. I do know that the other forms of ice may not be easily synthesized in visible quantities. i assume that we don't need a microscope to see the entire system.

study Oprah's toilet seat to find out

Holy shit the fucking answers in this thread.

elaborate?
I don't know shit in physics and the question piqued my interest.

xkcd.com/1561/

>in a stable state weighing 1gn
>weighing
Insufficient data. We need to know the volume and mass of the weight in the press and the mass of the planet it's sitting on, as well as the amount of atmosphere above the weight on the press. "Weight" is just the derivative of mass and gravity modified by the weight of the atmosphere above it.

I'm not the same user that said the water would bond to the piston. I'm pretty sure the water would just be a mass of protons and neutrons surrounded by free electrons, not even able to form atoms. Can't answer for whatever unobtanium or impossium alloy the press is made of, but no actual matter would retain any kind of complex structure after this. When the pressure lets up (likely due to the press becoming free protons and neutrons) you're going to have a cloud of hydrogen and helium.

I have another question (pic related).

What would happen with water in this case? (assuming that nothing can escape or enter that bowl)

iaintclickinthatshitnigga.org

>Vanilla Ice
>Under Pressure
Well played.

Just looked it up. There are 17 phases of solid, crystalline water.

its a comic

It would heat up until it glowed. Eventually it will reach a point where it's radiating as much heat as it's absorbing, and that's about it. It would be full of superheated aerated water that can't evaporate because of the unbreakable box, and it would be very, VERY bright.

The hydraulic press would break, you faggot.

Wait...no...
That would reach the point where the heat would prevent stable electron orbits. That would be a proton/neutron/electron cloud, not water. It would still glow very, VERY brightly and, if you ever opened it, would explode into hydrogen and helium.

Okay and what if the heat could not escape out of it?

No it wouldn't. It would compress into a plasma. The high pressure would cause it to be too warm to turn into ice but the restriction of atomic movement would try to mimic ice. You would end up with a warm slush.

>water couldn't be compressed inside a black hole

it's all about how much force you use.

You would need Maxwell's demon for that, so basically a god.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell's_demon

>heat could not escape
You're going to have to explain that one. Are we talking about a gravity well preventing light from radiating out or is the box just made of dark matter that won't glow when heated up?

Easy. Take a balloon of water and light a lighter under it. It'll never pop.

The box just made of dark matter that won't glow when heated up. And if we assume that we're heating it up for a quadrillion years.

You're lying.

Well that's interesting.

That whole thought experiment is retarded, though. The particles would still be imparting heat to the hot side of the box itself, and conduction would spread that heat back over to the cool side of the box.

Im not we did this in 4th grade

Then you have an extremely hot black box full of protons, neutrons, and electrons. It will eventually reach the same temperature as the heat source, after which nothing really happens.

I have a condom. Going to try that shit right now.

>Last time I've said that I've been jailed for 3 years

Worth it?

kek

You would either press it into a black hole or more realistically the watter would reach something called peak destiny

Describe the thermal properties of your hermetically sealed container

Could make something like the ice on that planet of boiling ice they found GJ 436 b. That was a result of pressure.