What’s the best storyline you’ve seen in a game?

What’s the best storyline you’ve seen in a game?

Attached: 1F1DD8D7-DB86-4BC4-AB1F-6A115FCE0506.jpg (640x749, 111K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hWTFG3J1CP8
blizzard.com/en-us/
youtube.com/watch?v=UrDV6VksSRU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Last Guardian

The unfinished swan

Ocarina Of Time, it’s the best usage of time travel in any fictional work

nekopara

Attached: previewfile_1363548500.jpg (711x711, 349K)

Chrono Trigger and go fuck yourself.

Tetris
>youtu.be/hWTFG3J1CP8

Genuinely trying to think about it but I don't really think I've ever played a game that's story didn't at some point end up breaking suspension of disbelief or just being like 'meh' overall. I guess new vegas has some of the better writing I've ever seen in vidya but even that isn't like some crazy masterpiece. Vidya is mostly pretty shit if you're looking for some great story or something imo

I liked Final Fantasy X. Bioshock Infinite was great, too. Also Skyrim.

dark souls

The dlcs ruin new Vegas story, makes it feel cheap, lonesome road or whatever, fallout 3 has a way better story than nv

>dark souls
Good taste

Battletoads

second to none

Attached: 250px-MafiaUSCov.jpg (250x355, 24K)

Milfy City by Incstor. Awesome story.

Final Fantasy VI

The SIMS. All of them

Hands down

Attached: 7160B482-EB96-4B76-9646-FE9C8983316D.jpg (640x427, 47K)

World of warcraft.

Silent Hill 2

>Hands down
I never heard of "hands down"

Man of taste

9/10

Attached: 220px-Dxcover.jpg (220x273, 19K)

Contrarians can kiss my ass, this game was extremely compelling from start to finish

Attached: 7C01603F-720A-4644-868F-C2690B1911D2.gif (550x550, 329K)

fallout 4

Two of my favorites are BioShock and Dead Space.

The sequel also has a good story and some really good graphics but the ending is mediocre and terrible compared to the original but we never speak of the third game.

Attached: mafia-2-logo.jpg (1024x298, 107K)

fallout 3s story is by far it's worst aspect

Undertale. An excellent choice.

dmc

Item descriptions=80% of lore. Forced to read, pay attention and connect dots. Based.

Why did the fat fuck go crazy?

You need to be 18 to be on here buddy.

Majora's Mask is up there

got cursed with post-2007 burden. never played it despite I have it on steam.

Flawless example of minimalistic storytelling. The equivalent of a excellent silent movie from the 1920s

Attached: D887527F-C5CB-44AE-AE90-0ADF2A595CB5.jpg (330x445, 25K)

Starcraft 2

blizzard.com/en-us/

Nah fuck that

Starcraft should be remade.

too bad the gameplay was shit

I feel like they don't get enough attention, so I'm gonna throw Crosscode and Dust out there.

Zoomer filtered

Had to say for "all time" , but I'm enjoying Telltale Batman . It's free on Xbox live this month .

Attached: 1578018491844.png (1600x1338, 934K)

Counter strike...

Terrorists...

ye I think naughty dog and R* do a good job

Ment to say "hard to say"

Weeb, I know, but I still get chills from this one. All the religious and Jungian shit was brilliant. Pity the translation was rushed, though. The original Jap is better.

Attached: 076B0A7B-602C-4A3F-A801-6EABF3D27F33.jpg (326x306, 128K)

Most haven't played it, but it was mindblowing for me especially after playing the sequel directly after. There's so much excellent symbolism that i never caught before

Attached: Digital Devil Saga.png (561x640, 539K)

Seconding this

Can't recommend this gem, enough. Wrote a couple papers on it after release. Love this game.

Attached: MMVkUdH.png (1478x990, 1.79M)

Undertale, watch dogs and the whole TES series

typical boomer, can't handle any opposition. You're getting weak minded in your old age gramps. Better start doing some puzzles before your brain degrades even more

Silent Hill 2

FF6, no contest.

Attached: Kefka Wins.png (960x640, 273K)

For a nihilist, Keika was a pretty well-written villain.

Agreed, Sephiroth was pretty fantastic as well. His manipulation & complete torture of Cloud was arguably more evil than Kefka outright destroying the world. FF7 should have had a downer ending, it would have fit the story better than a poorly written happy ending

Chrono trigger is definitely in the top 3.

Almost 30 years old and that game still rocks.

FFX (barfs uncontrollably)

Chrono Trigger, Ocarina of Time, Xenogears

Bump, also Beyond Good & Evil, Planescape Torment

I loved Shadow of the Colossus, but I haven't heard much about TLA since it released. Is it actually any good?

YES

SOMA was good but the ending should've been different. no spoilers but if they left only the first scene it would've been brilliant

Hell, yeah.

If you haven’t played the DS remake, do so. It has so much extra stuff.

vandal hearts II

Chrono Trigger is goddamn expensive and for no good reason, please kill yourself.

Kamidori

The one I create.

Attached: 10985523_766957370020916_6071146447059837195_n.jpg (640x480, 62K)

Metro/witcher

true

Attached: Lost.jpg (1614x1050, 1.29M)

Pretty much anything, "Elder Scrolls"

Attached: 1385017042600.png (1131x852, 181K)

Planscape: Torment
(but only if you max out INT and CHR to get the right dialogue options)

FF6 was the first RPG I ever played, Chrono trigger was #2. Both are still amazing.

Expensive? We're talking about story lines...

Also, ever heard of an SNES emulator? Free Chrono trigger you fucking autist

A

This was a beautiful little series, still have my ps2 hooked up for them and nocturne

The story in this game was fucking awful. Its standard as fuck with literally no twist. Only even remotely engaging point was the Canabalistic rapist section and that was basically 80% through the game and overall completely irrelevant to the actual story.
The muh feels that everyone jerks it to has been done to death in both gaming and cinema over the last 20 years.

There is a reason. Because it's a good ass game

>>bioshock infinite
>>good story.

Nigga please, kys.

You only own a ps4 or somethin?

Attached: 1579583046262.gif (220x220, 947K)

my nigga

A personal fav

Attached: 74431B27-AEE8-45F6-88E2-070518C7267F.jpg (800x850, 187K)

F3 has a terrible story. Literally two retards fighting over which one is going to start a water pump first.
Turned the BOS into a fucking boys out troop, made the enclave run by a bunch of morons. And that self sacrifice shoehorned into the end was just the fucking worst. Thanks fawkes.

I started to play that, but didn't finish. Going to read the novelization instead.

Attached: 2B card.jpg (850x1150, 134K)

Attached: thug.jpg (220x280, 19K)

>no good reason
Stop acting like u played and beat the game poorfag. Your friends told u about it. U looked it up on ebay and checked your welfare balance.
>u know im right

Attached: 1543915665071.jpg (748x960, 57K)

>youtube.com/watch?v=UrDV6VksSRU

Wild Arms was the Tombstone of PS1

Lunar Silver Star Story was The Lonesome Dove

Attached: Lunar1box.jpg (340x294, 25K)

Maybe if you spend all your time on reddit talking about your transition surgery....

Half-Life series
Red Dead Redemption series

The novelization is fine but doesn't have nearly the same impact as playing the game. How come you didn't want to finish? What about now that you've had a break from it?

This x1000

this guy is the smartest in here, everyone else here is retarded, yes including myself

Attached: Screenshot (4).png (421x742, 357K)

I would actually say the BioShock series

My all time favorite.

Attached: EB box.jpg (550x501, 55K)

Dude.

Gameplay was indeed ass. It was decent at the time, but how it's just nastolgia faggots jerking over it. Story is really it's only decent point now.

I'm not sure if you're kidding but this story was actually a lot of fun as a kid

Morrowind

Attached: 43188203_339368600148491_7189324561540265612_n.jpg (320x320, 25K)

I just...lost interest. I've been trying to get into the 'fighting robot' genre proper, but I don't know...I'll probably play it again when the price drops (PS4).

Pic related is what I've been doing instead, but the X-series sucked after 5 imo; I didn't finish X6, for example.

Attached: 36638148_2132669610094525_4494007389145530368_n.jpg (689x960, 153K)

Fuck i miss the first wild arms. Might be time to run it back

Probably one of the best story lines of any xbox 360 game. Forza Horizon 1 is pretty great as well.

Attached: yes.jpg (800x1137, 151K)

I thank you good sir.

Agree with this, but only if you play the original first

it was a lot of fun as a kid, and i loved free skating to the soundtrack.

Final boss is an alien fetus, and it is your job as a 10-year old boy to abort it.

Nice....

Attached: fetus-giygas.jpg (947x657, 560K)

The last of us was good

but god of war is just fucking incredible, mostly because of the freedom they have had to explore the story so many times, and it just keeps getting better and better. At this point I would cut off my leg for another game.

Attached: god-of-war-intro.jpg (1201x873, 461K)

Came here to say either this or Bloodborne. Probably Bloodborne being the best but a close second is Dark Souls 1 of course. 2 was a dumpster fire of a story even though it was still enjoyable to play for the most part and 3 just didn't have the same sense of mystery and interconnectedness as the first. As far as storylines go for me it's Bloodborne>Dark Souls>Demons Souls>Dark Souls 3>Dark Souls 2

I still say take away the cute butt and the game is shit.
Replace all the character models with generic ones and the game is super forgettable and overal a chore to play through. They blew their load early with the "circus" level and boss

The Mass Effect trilogy. I've never wanted to marry an alien before.

Agreed.

Attached: 1565218003354.jpg (600x600, 58K)

>has obviously never actually played and beaten Undertale

One of my favorites too. Still hate going home at the end cause the adventure is over.

Jesus Christ get the fuck out of here with that telltale Batman shit

Pretty much this but except Skyrim

South Africa?

KOTOR 2
DAO
DS 1

Attached: C35CD063-C245-43A8-82F9-32FBB46F4270.jpg (384x384, 30K)

I don't buy that explanation. Why would prayers for their safety manifest as massively damaging attacks? Plus, if I'm not mistaken, it'll strike before it's attacked.

>Stop liking what I don't like

>The games without stories
reminder that every Vaati souls lore video have been debunked and that ultimately the story of soulsborne game are interpretative only

You might give the ZX series a try.

No shit retard, that's the point.

Yea, but it's also really sweet. I love talking to your mom after you beat giygas, always warms my heart.

What game? looks exactly like cyberpunk 2077 ? How can CDPR let someone else steal their art design? Nightcity 4eva!!!

Moh AA faggots..

Starcraft is remade..??? And Broodwar's story is much better than SC2

Honestly some hentai games have better stories than 95% of normal games

This is my favorite. I see another user say you need to play the first one before this... what about playing it after? There's a craigslist ad for a PS2 for $10 and might go for it

Ok then i choose the kirby games by far the deepest lore in video game history, kirby could defeat Kratos, bayonetta, Dante , goku, Madara Uchiwa and thanos blindfolded

Does this count? Makes me cry

Attached: Hanako_with_presents_(Lilly's_route).png (796x571, 887K)

I dreamed my car was full of ants last night.

Also, RuneScape if you actually play all of the quests and READ the dialogue.

Attached: 10413306_663594583721984_4803136533102294832_n.jpg (237x213, 5K)

I started playing this and was loving it. But the more it progressed the worse it got. I couldnt stand the insufferable 9S in the second story. The more he talked the more I wanted to punch him. Don't get me wrong. The game is good, almost every character is written well, it just get more and more boring the further you get

I wouldn't say best of all time but one of the few games that made me appreciate games for what they are.

Attached: downloadfile.png (800x1067, 1.81M)

I like jagex style with some of it. they creep the life lessons in there

A2's story is great though, what a cutie too

Attached: maxresdefault (7).jpg (1280x720, 71K)

Attached: ps2_kingdom_hearts-110214.jpg (640x907, 97K)

I havent played the second one but wtf does this have to do with the best storyline. Game itself is solid tho

Now it's just getting weird

are you fucking kidding me

Attached: woosh.gif (380x260, 1009K)

Unironically pic related

>Mario
>Squaresoft

Attached: SuperMarioRPGSNESCoverArtUS.jpg (380x263, 31K)

bowsers inside story was better sorry ^_^

Ok boomer

Again, you're missing the point of Soulsborne games entirely. It's a somewhat linear progression for the most part but with a lot left up to the interpretation of the player depending on how they play the game and how much time they take to absorb their surroundings. I'm not sitting here making faggy irrelevant speculations and saying shit like "LOLZ Gwyn Lord of Cinder could beat Solid Snake xP in a 1v1"

nope

this. Just recently played it for the first time and its already one of my favorite games

Gold

You're fine playing the first one after (though the sequel does spoil a few things....but you probably won't even realize that until you're done). I do think it's really worthwhile. The soundtrack is stunning, the story is something I will keep with me forever, and I love every bit of that game. It's a lot rougher and jankier to actually play, but if you can get over that, it's brilliant.

That one 50 Cent game

yes

Heavy Rain

I wanna drink your hot PC Master race cum daddy

Not the same user you are replying to, but which version of the first gama? I remember there were more than 1

Easy - Spec Ops: The Line

agreed, but NV tho

How many Americans have you killed today?

Madden
>Madden

I've always enjoyed the Hitman story line. That series can bring massive lulz

I gotta say the BioShock games. The first one really blew me away, both in story, sound and graphics.
Quick question, do you wanna live in Rapture or Columbia?

Slow day, just the two.

Forgot, image

Attached: 1 KJB3LvO90r_ndclcQLNHMw.jpg (1197x611, 163K)

I think there was only one game in english. The only difference between the versions is the age of the main character, and I forget which was which. I like the one we got in english though, with old papa nier. I think it's really interesting to have a main character whose main concern is being a father figure, and it makes certain story beats quite touching.

OH MY GOD DUDE I FUCKING LOVED KATAWA SHOUJO

Ok then definitely going with English one. I hate playing as edgy teens or kids.

Yes it counts, for sure better than a lot of normal games

System Shock II. Shodan rules! System shock 3 still in limbo

Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn. The whole storyline left me so satisfied.

Lisa the painful

Attached: images-6.jpg (236x367, 14K)

Many questions but I will ask none

Always wanted to try this but every time I start I just can't seem to get very far in. Is it really that good?

Fuck the haters, loved FFX

fuck eric

Dwarf Fortress.
I think top 10 storyline for me is just Dwarf Fortress.

Undertake was good

Sue me.

I loved this one too.

Attached: LifeIsStrange Acardia Bay Evening.png (1600x900, 1.76M)

Not gonna lie Sons Of Liberty could be a bit harder to follow at least Snake Eater has better writing imo

Attached: 220px-Mgs3box.jpg (220x310, 37K)

How was this story considered good at all? I thought the whole thing felt like a predictable cliche

What about the remake? They improved the gameplay alot

? Do you ever talk to people in the USA

>Undertale
You must be 18 or older to post on this site

FFIX
ES3: Morrowind
RDR I
Shadow of the Colossus

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
no.

Attached: Screenshot (174).png (813x593, 590K)

It's $10 in app stores. If that's expensive for you, you have the wrong hobby.

"Hands down" is like a friendly way of saying "end of discussion". It's meant to say that no more people need to raise their hands to share views, because the issue has already been settled.

Love this game

Attached: header.jpg (460x215, 48K)

Morrowind is my favorite game of all time, but the story was barely above mediocre.

It's GTA V

Dragon Age: Origins

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri was pretty good.
KoTR.
Half-Life (the second one was better).
Grim Fandango.

Those are the ones I can think of at the moment. So much plebs ITT. Do not feel obliged to start a "prove you're an oldfag" tomorrow, we all know.

More recently, Fear and Hunger, while being quite an obscure RPGM game, is really good too.

Attached: 1558043728088.png (442x493, 267K)

Attached: madden20.jpg (768x768, 82K)

You should have asked me 8 years ago I would have answer you with details

I got it for like $5 on a steam sale.

That was a damn good game! I remember playing that for hours with my brother when it first came out! That one frog coin you could only get in the beginning was SUCH bullshit.

That would be a millennial you retard. Guessing you gen Z'ers are bad at math.

Thissss

I got as far as losing my arm then I struggled to win a fight. Dark game.

>Pic related

A great reimagining of a long loved series of mine. Possibly the only satisfying game with a satisfying ending I’ve played in months

Attached: C727B917-2AC8-42CA-8010-6CB191A801F8.jpg (810x1080, 448K)

MGS2 is better

Bump

Good games are not the same as good story. These are all games that have fun mechanics and great art, but if you were take the story and just write it into a book it's not that great.

Grim Fandango, Without contest

Mass Effect 2

Attached: Screenshot (26).png (1920x1080, 901K)

youve earned my respect

Personal fav is Dishonored and probably dark souls

Heavy Rain

Horizon Zero Dawn .....

Seriously...had no fucking idea what was happening. Thought it was some cool game about robot dinosaurs and ruined cities. Then it slowly revealed itself.

1st bioshock wasnt too bad

Discworld Noir
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Legacy of Kain
Sanitarium
Thief 1-3
Cosmology of Kyoto
Hardly mediocre, it has a genuinely interesting political and theological story and incredibly well done world building.

Thanks! Went to the cinema, sorry for the delay. I played Nier Automata and loved the story a lot. 9S's story was kinda boring, really sped past that, but CDE endings were beautiful. I'll get gestalt and play it next

Yeah, the story was bad, but the map was great. FO3's main story kept you to the south of the map, mostly, meaning that you had to choose to explore the rest and there was a lot of reward for doing that with lots of side quests and umarked quests. I loved exploring it. FONV sucked because the story took you all over the map and didn't leave a whole lot to exploration for fun. FO3 was just a better game in a lot of ways.

Morrowind for the win!

dark souls, not only is the story perfect with the atmosphere but the discovery involved is my favorite

Second HZD ....
and Control ....

Attached: BureauOffice.0.jpg (1200x800, 106K)

Came to post this masterpiece

Masterpiece

Attached: 315135135153531.jpg (1440x2160, 384K)

Current Fav Narrative has been RDR2 for a good bit. Decent game, beautiful story. If I had to pick a few others I might go for Undertale, Sekiro, SotC, The Last of Us, MGS3, Return of the Obra Dinn, and All of Bioshock. I'm sure others would come to mind, but thats what's immediately in my thoughts for straight up storyline.

Leonard 6

Attached: lemmingscdi.jpg (200x197, 12K)

eric a bitch nigga

Manhunt series or F.E.A.R.

Nice pick. The good ending had me crying my god damn eyes out.

which of these had the scene where you have to shoot your way out of the funeral? love both

i remember the big reveal in the original knights of the old republic shocking me so thoroughly that i was legitimately angry in real life. turned to sith and killed everyone 10/10 would be evil again.

people shit on this game but i liked it more than all the save the world shit in origins and inquisition

Attached: 333433-dragon-age-ii-playstation-3-manual.jpg (800x993, 112K)

daggerfall was extremely my shit when i was like ten. always wondered why bethesda don't port it to iphone and just print money, especially since blades was such a fucking disappointment.

my guy

the first halo

the one where g unit fights ISIS?

Super monkey ball 2, hands down

i was gonna say this, not necessarily an individual game but some of the levels over the years are absolutely fucking brilliant.

>sneaking into an italian villa to strangle its wealthy owner while hes playing the cello
>crashing an s&m theme party at a slaughterhouse/meat packing plant to rescue a girl, only to find her dead and hanging upside down with her eyes gouged out and a naked butcher dancing with her while "put your head on my shoulder" plays
>stealing a fireman's costume and tripping a fire alarm and escorting people out of an office building, patiently waiting until your target is about to be the last one out and sticking your fire axe into his fucking face
>ave maria playing at your own funeral while you're in the casket that the game makes you think is the game over screen until you realize you're faking it and you leap out of your own coffin with guns fucking blazing and murder all of the enemies from the game at your own fucking funeral

highly, highly underrated series in terms of storytelling

SANITARIUM YES. i was gonna say that but oldfag and didn't think anyone else would remember the game. fucking disturbing as shit but intriguing when i was a kid. remember helping the little boy find his sister while they were playing hide and seek?

RDR2 i think is my current gen favorite. that game made such amazing use of music, the d'angelo song and the "that's the way it is" song are both my shit.

Attached: images (4).jpg (585x524, 65K)

also i dont think it's been out nearly long enough to qualify yet but i'm enjoying the shit out of the outer worlds, people are 100% right in calling it the spiritual successor to new vegas. really makes it feel like your decisions are meaningful and have a huge impact on how the game plays out.

Was a pretty fun game

yeah i went in a little skeptical but i caught fucking pneumonia and had a bunch of time off work, really fun timesink game. reminded me of some of the xbox360/ps3 era greats.